Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 8 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sean's Windows 8 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs - Page 16

post #151 of 848
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by haversham View Post

i have windows 8 installed on an SSD. it's only 128GB and i'd like to clear some space. in regards to the tip on moving the Users folder to a secondary HDD, would it hurt performance by moving the entire Users folder off the SSD? do programs need to access the app data in the Users folder frequently, or is it just used for storage?
Anything in the appdata folder will then be placed on the HDD, thus for that data it will be slower aka your temp files, browsing cache, program data and saves, etc.
Quote:
also, what about the other folders inside the Users folder (Default and Public)? i'm the only one who uses the PC.
Ignore them. Thats what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post

subbed/

Samsung 840 Pro 256 & VelociRaptor incoming. Going through preparations while awaiting shipment. Keeping fingers crossed all goes well but have one main question.

I've got to first install Windows 7 before using Windows 8 Pro upgrade registration key. I'm going to assume I should follow the other Windows 7 guide instead and then move into this one after installation is complete to optimize my SSD?
Are you going to be using windows 8 now?

If you have windows 7 now just upgrade it to 8 as is. If not then install 7, activate, then reboot and install 8.

I don't ever do upgrade. I never have used it and don't really have any experience with any sort of upgrade options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by webtax View Post

another start menu alternative you can add to the guide if you want sean

http://retroui.com/


added smile.gif +rep
post #152 of 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Are you going to be using windows 8 now?
If you have windows 7 now just upgrade it to 8 as is. If not then install 7, activate, then reboot and install 8.
I don't ever do upgrade. I never have used it and don't really have any experience with any sort of upgrade options.

I was using developers Windows 8 and I took the upgrade offer for $39 to Pro Upgrade. Had so many new purchases lately I took the cheap way out of Windows rather than components.

In order to activate my Windows 8 registration code, Windows 7 has to be already installed for it to upload from MS. First time I've done it this way. When my kids finally upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 I'll make sure to obtain a full version next time. It would have made things easier for first time SSD / HDD install.

I already tried the upgrade process once, having to erase developers version in order to install Windows 8. Once installed Windows.old file can be deleted with all Windows 7 files in one mass delete. It was very simple and Windows 8 did a great job erasing all traces of Windows 7. All lost space restored.

So I'm going to familiarize myself with installation Windows 7 guide first then move into Windows 8 for system preparation. Great job with both guides Sean Webster. smile.gif
     
  hide details  
Reply
     
  hide details  
Reply
post #153 of 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Anything in the appdata folder will then be placed on the HDD, thus for that data it will be slower aka your temp files, browsing cache, program data and saves, etc.

gotcha, thanks. thumb.gif
post #154 of 848
Great guide, Sean, but I have a couple of questions:

So, I see a lot of conflicting statements on this forum and elsewhere as to the reliability of SSDs and the steps one should take to extend the life of your drive. For example, this guide and guides on other forums suggest you should do things like turn off pre/superfetch, turn off drive indexing, enable write caching, etc. On the other hand, I read in other places that this is not necessary on newer MLC-based drives (pretty much all SSDs out right now, including mine) because they could write something like 20GB of data a day for a good five years before wearing out, so you needn't worry about multiple, small writes.

The reason this is important to me is because I have an older motherboard and my SSD (Crucial V4) is manufactured with SATA II speeds in mind. I realize that people with SATA III motherboards should adhere to the advise of these optimization guides because their drives are fast enough for it to not make a difference and erring on the side of caution is better when it comes to the longevity of their SSDs. In my personal experience with my SSD using SATA II, however, I notice a significance difference in real-world performance when I leave all of these things to their default values (e.g., pre/superfetch and drive indexing enabled).

Basically, I was thinking it might be better to include a note that, if your SSD is using the SATA II interface, you might be sacrificing performance to unnecessarily extend the longevity of your drive.

(BTW, I've ran various benchmarks on my drive and it performs up to the manufacturer's specification. Also, I understand that many things in your guide are still relevant to me, like having the latest AHCI drivers and TRIM enabled.)
post #155 of 848
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by techtock View Post

Great guide, Sean, but I have a couple of questions:

So, I see a lot of conflicting statements on this forum and elsewhere as to the reliability of SSDs and the steps one should take to extend the life of your drive. For example, this guide and guides on other forums suggest you should do things like turn off pre/superfetch, turn off drive indexing, enable write caching, etc. On the other hand, I read in other places that this is not necessary on newer MLC-based drives (pretty much all SSDs out right now, including mine) because they could write something like 20GB of data a day for a good five years before wearing out, so you needn't worry about multiple, small writes.

The reason this is important to me is because I have an older motherboard and my SSD (Crucial V4) is manufactured with SATA II speeds in mind. I realize that people with SATA III motherboards should adhere to the advise of these optimization guides because their drives are fast enough for it to not make a difference and erring on the side of caution is better when it comes to the longevity of their SSDs. In my personal experience with my SSD using SATA II, however, I notice a significance difference in real-world performance when I leave all of these things to their default values (e.g., pre/superfetch and drive indexing enabled).

Basically, I was thinking it might be better to include a note that, if your SSD is using the SATA II interface, you might be sacrificing performance to unnecessarily extend the longevity of your drive.

(BTW, I've ran various benchmarks on my drive and it performs up to the manufacturer's specification. Also, I understand that many things in your guide are still relevant to me, like having the latest AHCI drivers and TRIM enabled.)
Hardly a speed difference for SSDs on SATA 2 vs 3. However, your Crucial V4 is just a really slow/bad drive imo. It uses crappy NAND and an old controller. if you could you should return it. lol

As for any of the optimizations like pre/superfetch, indexing, and what ever else. They are not needed. Especially for current gen SSDs (excluding your crappy V4 and a few others...not picking on you it is just I would never suggest that drive.). They are just there for people who like tweaking things. Enabling/disabling things in Windows won't make much of a difference in what is written to the SSD in comparison to how YOU use your SSD. People are weird as they over exaggerate how limited SSDs are on writes.
post #156 of 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

However, your Crucial V4 is just a really slow/bad drive imo. It uses crappy NAND and an old controller. if you could you should return it. lol

The reason I got this drive is because:

A) I always hear the name Crucial thrown around as among the best (in both reliability and performance). They get a lot of bad reviews on Newegg, but the vast majority of reviews on Newegg are written by what seems to be drug-addled orangutans.

B) It was the cheapest 256GB drive I could find.

As for my experience with it, no problems so far. The speed I get out of it is above what the Crucial said I would get (230MB read/190MB write). I get all the usual perks associated with SSDs: Windows 8 boots up in around 12 seconds, all programs (even Photoshop and Visual Studio 2012) open instantly on first run, etc. Not sure what else I could ask of it. The speed and price are fantastic.
Edited by techtock - 11/20/12 at 10:25am
post #157 of 848
When I plug in my hard drives at step 5 or whichever one it is, my boot time increases by a lot. I can hear them seeking away whilst Windows 8 is loading, what's up with that?

I remembered reading that Windows reads the page file at start, but I have my page file manually set to only exist on my SSD with the initial size at 400MB and maximum at 1024MB, so it can't be reading the page file from the HDDs.

Any ideas?
post #158 of 848
Any reason why shut down no longer shuts down Windows and instead restarts it?

I don't expect an answer to this question..I never seem to get answers to my questions anymore. :\

Greatly appreciated if you can answer that though.

Self solved, I think the culprit was Pokki.
Edited by Simca - 11/21/12 at 7:02pm
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #159 of 848
I have a question regarding TRIM support in RAID. In Windows 8, is TRIM supported in RAID 0 using two SSDs with the equipment mentioned below? I have read on another site that the OS supports it, but the hardware controller in the MOBO's themselves don't support it, but i do not know if this is true. A question similar to this one might have been answered earlier in the thread, and I did read the entire thread but I'm still not completely sure. Any insight into this subject would be awesome!

Motherboard:
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155

CPU:
i5 3570k

SSD:
2x OCZ Vertex 4 - 256Gb


P.S. The guide was freaken nice Sean.
Edited by Poco23 - 11/21/12 at 11:14pm
post #160 of 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post

Any reason why shut down no longer shuts down Windows and instead restarts it?
I don't expect an answer to this question..I never seem to get answers to my questions anymore. :\
Greatly appreciated if you can answer that though.
Self solved, I think the culprit was Pokki.
I hear you frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poco23 View Post

I have a question regarding TRIM support in RAID. In Windows 8, is TRIM supported in RAID 0 using two SSDs with the equipment mentioned below? I have read on another site that the OS supports it, but the hardware controller in the MOBO's themselves don't support it, but i do not know if this is true. A question similar to this one might have been answered earlier in the thread, and I did read the entire thread but I'm still not completely sure. Any insight into this subject would be awesome!
Motherboard:
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155
CPU:
i5 3570k
SSD:
2x OCZ Vertex 4 - 256Gb
P.S. The guide was freaken nice Sean.
According to the guide, it is supported since you are using a Z77 chipset motherboard.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 8 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs