Originally Posted by FrickFrickFrick
Starting tomorrow I too will be proceeding with a restoration of my M17 R1 and have a "few" questions that I'm having ALOT of trouble finding answers to.
My m17 r1:
Core 2 p8400
4gb Kingston 1066
"not genuine" windows 7 64 (bought it that way-see below)
broken WUXGA screen (again bought it that way)
broken touchpad (ditto)
3 missing keys (it was apparent this machine needed saving from this kid)
Scratched as Alien head on back panel (should have been his, I know)
all current drivers from alienware website, using the "8gb safe" video drivers
Ordering as soon as know if it will work
New back panel from ztronics
new touchpad panel
replacement keys from laptop keys.com
new WXGA screen (much cheaper than WUXGA and I'm too blind to benefit from the extra res anyway)
4TB 2x2tb HDD
128ssd samsung 840pro/BD-R/another 2tb HDD
After I sell some stuff:
4tb 2x2tb storage
128ssd samsung 840pro/BD-R/another 2tb
core 2 quad 9200
official alienware windows 7 ultimate (found unopened copy for 75)
MAX ram (see below)
MAX GPU (see below)
2 or 3 extra batteries (again see below)
1 . What is the card type and max confirmed working GPU upgrade? Iv'e read on here mxm 3 but elswhere 2.1. The best Iv'e seen working is factory 4850 512mb
and that's not even really worth the money/bother IMO. (even if there is a nice GPU upgrade that works, at what point do we see a cpu/pci bottleneck with the core 2 and core 2 quad?)
2. I've read that the 240w power brick is necessary for gpu upgrade. The printed rating on my power brick is 11a at 20v (=220w rms), it is also freaking huge. Do I have the "good one" necessary to upgrade GPU? or is there somehow and even more gargantuan power supply with an extra 20w that I must aquire? If so does said power brick make an xbox 360 power brick feel more inadequate than when I realized my pangus measuring stick was actually in cm and not inches?
3. What is the max ram upgrade for this system? Is it processor dependent, limited by the motherboard or bios? I read anything over 8gb, even with the core 2 quad will not boot. Is this true and if so, is there anyway around it? ( i know, more than 8gb isn't necessary but if no one was interested in unnecessary amounts of hardware aliewnware wouldn't exist right?)
4. Is there any real benefit to running Alienware edition windows 7? Or is it a bunch of bloatware i really don't need? I usually just run standard home premium, sometimes stripped out a bit. I am curious if "fusion" would assist in lowering power consumption while meeting my average
5. The GPU ins't terribly important on this machine since (as you can see by my storage options the primary use, as with all my computers, will be downloading.
My question is, are those cool slide out drive bays hot swappable?
6. does the replacement back panel from ztronics include the alien head? (website says it may not)
7 and final, since mine is shot and I don't know how many to buy to meet my needs, what kind of battery life can expect from these usage scenarios:
(assume ztronics replacements and core 2 duo p8400, 3870x2 8gbRAM BD R drive active or 1 ssd ((OS boot)) and two active 5400 rpm "green" drives)
1: most of the time- 100% ram/25%cpu/0% gpu (no display)
2: sometimes- 100% ram/ 100% cpu/ 0%gpu
3: sometimesish 100%ram 50% cpu/10% gpu/constant BD-R use
4. rarely -max resources.
While it may be apparent this is my first post and that basically joined this form to ask a question, It is definitive not the first time I have done so for the sake of immediate knowledge. Thus, I have tried to be as specific in my questions as possible.
Everything that I have asked, I could not find with the "search button"/"google being my friend"/whatever smartass, not helpfull, stereotypical troll statement, stereotypical statement troll- stereo-typically, uselessly states.
Therefore, I would appreciate responses in the like.
Thank you in advance, and I insist anyone who gives information ask me anything. I will try thrice as hard to answers for you, as I feel you tried for me.
EDIT: I forgot to ask if there is any reason I can't replace my broken WUXGA screen with a WXGA. Also I was looking and It would seem the gpu is mxm 2.1 TYPE 3 not mxm 3.0, is this correct?