Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Temps skyrocket for a moment...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Temps skyrocket for a moment...

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Ok, Rig in my sig. I swapped out a Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H for this Asus M5A97, the 4200 IGP with a HD6850, 4GB 1066 DDR2 for 8GB 2133 DDR3, and I finally got around to putting on my H50 thats been sitting in the closet for months, which replaced an old CM Vortex 752.

After installing I did the usual checking of temps and such to make sure everything was ok. Then did some stress tests, everything seemed fine.

Ran Prime 95 for an hour or so, rock solid temps (CPU didn't go over 45C at stock full load)
Ran Furmark tests a few times, GPU max temp of 55C.

So I decide to leave hardware monitor on for a while, to see what my max temps and to check a few of the fan speeds it can detect. So I game for a while, watch some videos, browse, usual stuff. I pull up HWMonitor at the end of the day to check my temps max...

75C for mobo and CPU.... ***? I reset everything, start up some stress tests and the temps are perfect...
I also notice that one of my fans dropped to 18RPM... perhaps the H50 pump? Also, the mobo hitting 75C freaked me out.

So I pull a fan off a stock AMD heatsink, rig it up to blow air at the northbridge. I also pull the H50 pump from the CPU fan header and put it on a molex adapter so it will run 100% all the time.

Use my system the next day, everything is fine. But now I get some fan RPM's dropping to 0 and apparently HWMonitor thinks that 3 fans it was monitoring shot up to over 20K RPM... these fans only do about 2K to 2.5K max...

So I'm wondering if its showing wrong temps or not... freaking me out.

417

Also note, the voltages... I know little about voltages or troubleshooting mobo's (lack of experience with issues) So I'm unsure if this is bad or if its just a misreading. And another fan is at 0RPM in this SS.

Also, under temps, theres now a TMPIN2 listed, what is this? Because this value has only been shown twice, most times its not there in HWMonitor..

So I'm not sure whats going on, if anything, or if I'm just getting bogus readings. I stuck my hand in the case, feels cold, felt around, can't find anything hot... so not sure where the 69C is coming from... but its 69C steady for an hour or mor as its current, min and max...

So I'm looking for help on how to check if these values are even legit, and if so, how can I remedy this... I hope I don't have to RMA...
M06
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 XFX 7950 - 3GB G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 CL9 @ 1733... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Blue 500GB WD Black 1.5TB Crucial M4 128GB (OS) LG ODD 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool Lucifer v2 Win7 Ultimate 64 bit Acer X223w (1050) LG 22EN33 (1080) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sharkoon Tactix OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w Modular Corsair 300R CM Storm Xornet 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ DOTA2 Edition Edifier e1100+  Sennheiser HD215 Plantronics Gamecom 307 
  hide details  
Reply
M06
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 XFX 7950 - 3GB G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 CL9 @ 1733... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Blue 500GB WD Black 1.5TB Crucial M4 128GB (OS) LG ODD 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool Lucifer v2 Win7 Ultimate 64 bit Acer X223w (1050) LG 22EN33 (1080) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sharkoon Tactix OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w Modular Corsair 300R CM Storm Xornet 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ DOTA2 Edition Edifier e1100+  Sennheiser HD215 Plantronics Gamecom 307 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

Ok, Rig in my sig. I swapped out a Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H for this Asus M5A97, the 4200 IGP with a HD6850, 4GB 1066 DDR2 for 8GB 2133 DDR3, and I finally got around to putting on my H50 thats been sitting in the closet for months, which replaced an old CM Vortex 752.
After installing I did the usual checking of temps and such to make sure everything was ok. Then did some stress tests, everything seemed fine.
Ran Prime 95 for an hour or so, rock solid temps (CPU didn't go over 45C at stock full load)
Ran Furmark tests a few times, GPU max temp of 55C.
So I decide to leave hardware monitor on for a while, to see what my max temps and to check a few of the fan speeds it can detect. So I game for a while, watch some videos, browse, usual stuff. I pull up HWMonitor at the end of the day to check my temps max...
75C for mobo and CPU.... ***? I reset everything, start up some stress tests and the temps are perfect...
I also notice that one of my fans dropped to 18RPM... perhaps the H50 pump? Also, the mobo hitting 75C freaked me out.
So I pull a fan off a stock AMD heatsink, rig it up to blow air at the northbridge. I also pull the H50 pump from the CPU fan header and put it on a molex adapter so it will run 100% all the time.
Use my system the next day, everything is fine. But now I get some fan RPM's dropping to 0 and apparently HWMonitor thinks that 3 fans it was monitoring shot up to over 20K RPM... these fans only do about 2K to 2.5K max...
So I'm wondering if its showing wrong temps or not... freaking me out.
417
Also note, the voltages... I know little about voltages or troubleshooting mobo's (lack of experience with issues) So I'm unsure if this is bad or if its just a misreading. And another fan is at 0RPM in this SS.
Also, under temps, theres now a TMPIN2 listed, what is this? Because this value has only been shown twice, most times its not there in HWMonitor..
So I'm not sure whats going on, if anything, or if I'm just getting bogus readings. I stuck my hand in the case, feels cold, felt around, can't find anything hot... so not sure where the 69C is coming from... but its 69C steady for an hour or mor as its current, min and max...
So I'm looking for help on how to check if these values are even legit, and if so, how can I remedy this... I hope I don't have to RMA...

Motherboard temps at 75C is very unlikely.

If I were you I would try to monitor the temps with realtemp to see if it's a bug in the program.
My Rig.
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 2700K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX780 Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 4x4 - 1600MHz 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom Watercooling loop. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Primary Asus 22" - Secondary Asus 19" Logitech G15 Keyboard 
PowerCase
Corsair VX550W Corsair Obsidian 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig.
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 2700K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX780 Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 4x4 - 1600MHz 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom Watercooling loop. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Primary Asus 22" - Secondary Asus 19" Logitech G15 Keyboard 
PowerCase
Corsair VX550W Corsair Obsidian 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by casp1887 View Post

Motherboard temps at 75C is very unlikely.
If I were you I would try to monitor the temps with realtemp to see if it's a bug in the program.

Realtemp! Forgot that one, downloading now. I know... 75C freaked me out... and look at the screen... its showing 90C!!! I figure it would have a massive failure at that point... plus I stick my hand in through the front... touched all the sinks on the board... cold... not even warm... held my hand close to many parts of the board, not feeling any heat... but then again... I can never seem to find out WHEN it shoots up like this... every time I stress test it stays normal... So I'm hoping its a misread. But I want to be EXTRA careful. Had a friends board that did this at times for a while... he ignored it. His board poped and smoked...

Last... if the temps are a misread, could the voltages be as well? Are they even messed up or is this normal? Again, I know little to nothing about voltages and am reading now... but if any1 has some good info, or an opin on my readings, much appreciated!

RealTemp: The processor detected is not supported.
AMD Athlon II X4 635

Looking for another proggy.
Edited by Fuell - 4/10/12 at 5:48am
M06
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 XFX 7950 - 3GB G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 CL9 @ 1733... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Blue 500GB WD Black 1.5TB Crucial M4 128GB (OS) LG ODD 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool Lucifer v2 Win7 Ultimate 64 bit Acer X223w (1050) LG 22EN33 (1080) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sharkoon Tactix OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w Modular Corsair 300R CM Storm Xornet 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ DOTA2 Edition Edifier e1100+  Sennheiser HD215 Plantronics Gamecom 307 
  hide details  
Reply
M06
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 XFX 7950 - 3GB G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 CL9 @ 1733... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Blue 500GB WD Black 1.5TB Crucial M4 128GB (OS) LG ODD 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool Lucifer v2 Win7 Ultimate 64 bit Acer X223w (1050) LG 22EN33 (1080) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sharkoon Tactix OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w Modular Corsair 300R CM Storm Xornet 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ DOTA2 Edition Edifier e1100+  Sennheiser HD215 Plantronics Gamecom 307 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

Realtemp! Forgot that one, downloading now. I know... 75C freaked me out... and look at the screen... its showing 90C!!! I figure it would have a massive failure at that point... plus I stick my hand in through the front... touched all the sinks on the board... cold... not even warm... held my hand close to many parts of the board, not feeling any heat... but then again... I can never seem to find out WHEN it shoots up like this... every time I stress test it stays normal... So I'm hoping its a misread. But I want to be EXTRA careful. Had a friends board that did this at times for a while... he ignored it. His board poped and smoked...
Last... if the temps are a misread, could the voltages be as well? Are they even messed up or is this normal? Again, I know little to nothing about voltages and am reading now... but if any1 has some good info, or an opin on my readings, much appreciated!
RealTemp: The processor detected is not supported.
AMD Athlon II X4 635
Looking for another proggy.

I'd use the program CPU-Z to monitor the voltage on the cpu. Just to make sure that you are fine.

You could go into your BIOS and take a look as well.

EDIT: Another program for monitoring temps is speedfan.

Another question as well, is your BIOS updated?
My Rig.
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 2700K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX780 Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 4x4 - 1600MHz 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom Watercooling loop. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Primary Asus 22" - Secondary Asus 19" Logitech G15 Keyboard 
PowerCase
Corsair VX550W Corsair Obsidian 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig.
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 2700K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX780 Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 4x4 - 1600MHz 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom Watercooling loop. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Primary Asus 22" - Secondary Asus 19" Logitech G15 Keyboard 
PowerCase
Corsair VX550W Corsair Obsidian 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by casp1887 View Post

I'd use the program CPU-Z to monitor the voltage on the cpu. Just to make sure that you are fine.
You could go into your BIOS and take a look as well.
EDIT: Another program for monitoring temps is speedfan.
Another question as well, is your BIOS updated?

I did check BIOS yes. But theres an issue with this. The temps recorded as the max, I've never seen it at those temps "current" or even remotely close, so I'm pretty sure its a glitch, but I'm not 100% sure.

I use speedfan, CPU-z, GPU-Z, HWMonitor, Prime95 and Furmark for my testing, I'm thinking I'm missing something. I'm an advanced user to normal people and a basic/moderate user at most compared to OCN'ers heh

Bios should be pretty up to date, uefi BIOS and all, but I'll see if theres an update anyway.

Now since my system never crashes or becomes unstable, is it likely or even possible that my board could be messed and its pushing my temps that high even for just a moment? Or would it simply shutdown or die? I thought it would be impossible to hit 90C on a mobo and still have it running... I just want to make sure there no way these readings can be right, even for a second...

Also, thanks for the replys so far.
M06
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 XFX 7950 - 3GB G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 CL9 @ 1733... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Blue 500GB WD Black 1.5TB Crucial M4 128GB (OS) LG ODD 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool Lucifer v2 Win7 Ultimate 64 bit Acer X223w (1050) LG 22EN33 (1080) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sharkoon Tactix OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w Modular Corsair 300R CM Storm Xornet 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ DOTA2 Edition Edifier e1100+  Sennheiser HD215 Plantronics Gamecom 307 
  hide details  
Reply
M06
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 XFX 7950 - 3GB G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 CL9 @ 1733... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Blue 500GB WD Black 1.5TB Crucial M4 128GB (OS) LG ODD 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool Lucifer v2 Win7 Ultimate 64 bit Acer X223w (1050) LG 22EN33 (1080) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sharkoon Tactix OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w Modular Corsair 300R CM Storm Xornet 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ DOTA2 Edition Edifier e1100+  Sennheiser HD215 Plantronics Gamecom 307 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

I did check BIOS yes. But theres an issue with this. The temps recorded as the max, I've never seen it at those temps "current" or even remotely close, so I'm pretty sure its a glitch, but I'm not 100% sure.
I use speedfan, CPU-z, GPU-Z, HWMonitor, Prime95 and Furmark for my testing, I'm thinking I'm missing something. I'm an advanced user to normal people and a basic/moderate user at most compared to OCN'ers heh
Bios should be pretty up to date, uefi BIOS and all, but I'll see if theres an update anyway.
Now since my system never crashes or becomes unstable, is it likely or even possible that my board could be messed and its pushing my temps that high even for just a moment? Or would it simply shutdown or die? I thought it would be impossible to hit 90C on a mobo and still have it running... I just want to make sure there no way these readings can be right, even for a second...
Also, thanks for the replys so far.

I'd say that it's not showing the right temps. There's no way that your motherboard would reach 75C or higher. Unless you put it on fire of course wink.gif

EDIT: Nice Idle temps by the way wink.gif
Edited by casp1887 - 4/10/12 at 6:22am
My Rig.
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 2700K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX780 Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 4x4 - 1600MHz 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom Watercooling loop. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Primary Asus 22" - Secondary Asus 19" Logitech G15 Keyboard 
PowerCase
Corsair VX550W Corsair Obsidian 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig.
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 2700K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX780 Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 4x4 - 1600MHz 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom Watercooling loop. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Primary Asus 22" - Secondary Asus 19" Logitech G15 Keyboard 
PowerCase
Corsair VX550W Corsair Obsidian 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
I want to be EXTRA careful. Had a friends board that did this at times for a while... he ignored it. His board poped and smoked...g.gif
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by casp1887 View Post

I'd say that it's not showing the right temps. There's no way that your motherboard would reach 75C or higher. Unless you put it on fire of course wink.gif
EDIT: Nice Idle temps by the way wink.gif

Yea, even thinking about it, seems so irrational to believe it, but when you see it on your system I guess you get a little... stupid biggrin.gif

And they can be lower, I turned the space heater on cause my feet were cold on the hardwood floors. This room upstairs gets down to 8-12C this time of year, and stays pretty cool in summer, so it makes a great PC room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomen View Post

I want to be EXTRA careful. Had a friends board that did this at times for a while... he ignored it. His board poped and smoked...g.gif

You making fun of me? lol I know it sounds cliche, but its true! it was a really old build, pre 939 even if I recall... but his temps were hot at times you couldn't put your hand to it... he took the side off his case and pointed fans at it... and the AC... but we were young and stupid then as well. turned out he had a fan on the northbridge I think... but it stopped working so he took it off...

When he finally told me that last detail I wasn't quite sure how to react...
M06
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 XFX 7950 - 3GB G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 CL9 @ 1733... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Blue 500GB WD Black 1.5TB Crucial M4 128GB (OS) LG ODD 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool Lucifer v2 Win7 Ultimate 64 bit Acer X223w (1050) LG 22EN33 (1080) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sharkoon Tactix OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w Modular Corsair 300R CM Storm Xornet 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ DOTA2 Edition Edifier e1100+  Sennheiser HD215 Plantronics Gamecom 307 
  hide details  
Reply
M06
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 XFX 7950 - 3GB G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 CL9 @ 1733... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Blue 500GB WD Black 1.5TB Crucial M4 128GB (OS) LG ODD 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool Lucifer v2 Win7 Ultimate 64 bit Acer X223w (1050) LG 22EN33 (1080) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sharkoon Tactix OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w Modular Corsair 300R CM Storm Xornet 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ DOTA2 Edition Edifier e1100+  Sennheiser HD215 Plantronics Gamecom 307 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

Yea, even thinking about it, seems so irrational to believe it, but when you see it on your system I guess you get a little... stupid biggrin.gif
And they can be lower, I turned the space heater on cause my feet were cold on the hardwood floors. This room upstairs gets down to 8-12C this time of year, and stays pretty cool in summer, so it makes a great PC room.
.

I wish I had those temps. ~30 Idle here frown.gif

Just keep an eye on those temps. Touch the heatsink once in a while to make sure nothing is wrong.
My Rig.
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 2700K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX780 Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 4x4 - 1600MHz 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom Watercooling loop. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Primary Asus 22" - Secondary Asus 19" Logitech G15 Keyboard 
PowerCase
Corsair VX550W Corsair Obsidian 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig.
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 2700K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX780 Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 4x4 - 1600MHz 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom Watercooling loop. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Primary Asus 22" - Secondary Asus 19" Logitech G15 Keyboard 
PowerCase
Corsair VX550W Corsair Obsidian 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by casp1887 View Post

I wish I had those temps. ~30 Idle here frown.gif
Just keep an eye on those temps. Touch the heatsink once in a while to make sure nothing is wrong.

heh check out these lows from earlier today when I turned the heater off smile.gif

411
M06
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 XFX 7950 - 3GB G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 CL9 @ 1733... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Blue 500GB WD Black 1.5TB Crucial M4 128GB (OS) LG ODD 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool Lucifer v2 Win7 Ultimate 64 bit Acer X223w (1050) LG 22EN33 (1080) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sharkoon Tactix OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w Modular Corsair 300R CM Storm Xornet 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ DOTA2 Edition Edifier e1100+  Sennheiser HD215 Plantronics Gamecom 307 
  hide details  
Reply
M06
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 XFX 7950 - 3GB G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 CL9 @ 1733... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Blue 500GB WD Black 1.5TB Crucial M4 128GB (OS) LG ODD 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool Lucifer v2 Win7 Ultimate 64 bit Acer X223w (1050) LG 22EN33 (1080) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sharkoon Tactix OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w Modular Corsair 300R CM Storm Xornet 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ DOTA2 Edition Edifier e1100+  Sennheiser HD215 Plantronics Gamecom 307 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Temps skyrocket for a moment...