Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Engadget]Nokia makes Lumia 900 free to all AT&T customers, now through April 21st
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Engadget]Nokia makes Lumia 900 free to all AT&T customers, now through April 21st - Page 7

post #61 of 109
i read in the ipad wifi issue thread that apple is the only company arrogant enough to release a broken product.

guess microsoft and nokia also suffer from this problem.
Gamer
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ASRock z77 Extreme4 EVGA GTX670FW Corsair 8GB Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Green  Crucial M4 Seagate Barracuda Sony 20x DVDRW SATA 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H100 Windows 7 HP 64-bit Asus VE247 Westinghouse L2220HW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 510 XFX XXX 650W Corsair 600T Logitech M400 
Mouse Pad
Rocketfish Reversible  
  hide details  
Reply
Gamer
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ASRock z77 Extreme4 EVGA GTX670FW Corsair 8GB Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Green  Crucial M4 Seagate Barracuda Sony 20x DVDRW SATA 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H100 Windows 7 HP 64-bit Asus VE247 Westinghouse L2220HW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 510 XFX XXX 650W Corsair 600T Logitech M400 
Mouse Pad
Rocketfish Reversible  
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauke View Post

So considering that Lumia 800, which you said was great, has same filming capabilities, same resolution and same processor that you are bashing right now, how is L900 worse?
Also, I like how you said you won't bash WP7 and then told about all the WP7 limitations that will be fixed with WP8 like no dual core support, 800x480 resolution, 720p filming, etc.
Are you even aware that L900 is just the US version of L800?

No you are completely missing the point, what Nokia (and MS) needs is a flagship phone and this is anything but a flagship phone. The L800 is priced right and is good for what it is but the L900 which both MS and Nokia are spouting as their Flagship WP7 device is a complete joke. The success of the Galaxy S and the S2 has had a huge effect way beyond Samsung's operating profits, it lifted the entire Android platform as a whole by demonstrating what it is capable of. Nokia and MS need to make an impressive phone to show people what WP7 can do, right now they are not even close. And dont say wait for WP8 because of this upgrade and that upgrade because thats irrelevant. You have no idea what iOS 6 and Android 5.0 will bring either.
Home Gaming PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 3.6Ghz at 1.425v Asus P5Q PRO XFX GTX285 2x2GB Corsair DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1GB Spinpoint F3 DVD Writer Windows 7 Professional 64 Samsung 2494HS 
PowerCase
Corsair HX620 Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
Home Gaming PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 3.6Ghz at 1.425v Asus P5Q PRO XFX GTX285 2x2GB Corsair DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1GB Spinpoint F3 DVD Writer Windows 7 Professional 64 Samsung 2494HS 
PowerCase
Corsair HX620 Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingping1031 View Post

No you are completely missing the point, what Nokia (and MS) needs is a flagship phone and this is anything but a flagship phone. The L800 is priced right and is good for what it is but the L900 which both MS and Nokia are spouting as their Flagship WP7 device is a complete joke. The success of the Galaxy S and the S2 has had a huge effect way beyond Samsung's operating profits, it lifted the entire Android platform as a whole by demonstrating what it is capable of. Nokia and MS need to make an impressive phone to show people what WP7 can do, right now they are not even close. And dont say wait for WP8 because of this upgrade and that upgrade because thats irrelevant. You have no idea what iOS 6 and Android 5.0 will bring either.

I am saying that multi core and resolution issue will be resolved once and for all on WP platform, which will allow high end hardware.

Lumia can have 80 cores for all we care but they can't be utilized as WP 7.5 does not support them.

As for "demonstrating what it is capable of"


Edited by Kauke - 4/11/12 at 7:17am
post #64 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingping1031 View Post

No you are completely missing the point, what Nokia (and MS) needs is a flagship phone and this is anything but a flagship phone. The L800 is priced right and is good for what it is but the L900 which both MS and Nokia are spouting as their Flagship WP7 device is a complete joke. The success of the Galaxy S and the S2 has had a huge effect way beyond Samsung's operating profits, it lifted the entire Android platform as a whole by demonstrating what it is capable of. Nokia and MS need to make an impressive phone to show people what WP7 can do, right now they are not even close. And dont say wait for WP8 because of this upgrade and that upgrade because thats irrelevant. You have no idea what iOS 6 and Android 5.0 will bring either.

Is the iPhone 4S considered a "flagship phone"? I mean, I look at the specs of it, and frankly they're not that impressive. In terms of specs, it gets run over by the SII, the Droid RAZR, Titan II, G. Nexus, One X, etc. etc. etc. However, the iPhone 4 and 4S is what has put Apple on track to become the world's first Trillion dollar company. You make it sound like a high-end phone with state-of-the-art specs is what's required to make it good. Clearly this is not true. The software is what will make or break a phone, and for the L900, software is one of the areas where Nokia and Microsoft got it so right. It's functional, easy to use, I love the tiles as opposed to icons, the phone is fluid and smooth feeling, etc. You would never know that the phone isn't a premium phone until you look at the specs.

There's always going to be something bigger and better out there. If there isn't today, it will be out tomorrow. It's a never ending cycle. It sounds to me like you're an Android or iOS fanboy that is too proud to admit that the L900 is an excellent product, especially considering how much it costs. Android is buggy and a resource hog. iOS is only on a few devices and devoid of character. WP7 is sleek, usable, quick, and intuitive. I think the thing I love about it, though, is that it doesn't require a monster phone to use it properly. ICS isn't coming to phones that were released a mere 6-8 months ago because the specs are too low. That's amazing, really. Most phones that were released 6-8 months ago will be capable phones for at least another couple years. However, they won't be receiving ICS because apparently they can't handle it. Know why? It's a resource hog. 1GB of RAM is not required to have a smartphone run well. 10 years ago, 512mb RAM was standard fare for a desktop. Why in the world do we need more than that on our smartphones? Simple: Bigger is better, developers are lazy, and frankly, people like flaunting their phones with uber specs... it's a freakin phone. It's not a custom built desktop. Customization ends with the software. It's crazy, right?

Again, if the phone is a "complete joke" like you say it is, why is it doing so well at the moment?
Edited by Mad Pistol - 4/11/12 at 7:34am
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtL1776 View Post

Wow must be selling great.
Phone sucks and isn't selling good so they have to make it free.

They're giving a discount because until a patch rolls out on the ~16th, there's a software bug that can cause the phone to lose data connection.
post #66 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauke View Post

Are you guys new to WP platform? How are you enjoying it so far (I assume TenaciousRig is quite happy biggrin.gif) and what did you use before that?

Oh yeah I am stoked about it so far. I love the platform as it is very streamlined and very responsive. The phone itself feels great in your hand and even though some buttons (i.e. power button) are on the right instead of the top it feels more ergonomic. Same goes for certain functions within WP7. For example when I am on the phone/ending a call all the buttons are perfectly placed right where your thumb can easy reach it without having to adjust my grip. Its little things, but those little things make the difference in my book. Zero issues so far and I'm coming from an HTC Merge w/ Android 2.2 (Froyo) on Alltel. thumb.gif
Black Box'o Fun
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K @ 4.4Ghz Asus P8P67 Deluxe EVGA GTX480 EVGA GTX480 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Ripjaws G.Skill Ripjaws Crucial C300 128GB SSD Intel X25-M 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG BD/DVD XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 Windows 7 HP 64bit Dell 24" S2409W (1080p baby!) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
XArmor U9BL Silverstone DA800 Mountain Mods U2-UFO Logitech G500 
Other
Audio-Technica M50 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box'o Fun
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K @ 4.4Ghz Asus P8P67 Deluxe EVGA GTX480 EVGA GTX480 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Ripjaws G.Skill Ripjaws Crucial C300 128GB SSD Intel X25-M 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG BD/DVD XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 Windows 7 HP 64bit Dell 24" S2409W (1080p baby!) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
XArmor U9BL Silverstone DA800 Mountain Mods U2-UFO Logitech G500 
Other
Audio-Technica M50 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingping1031 View Post

stop reading spec sheets and GO USE THE PHONE

I have one. Aside from the data bug which is going to be patched in 5 days, it's great. Vastly superior to the Samsung Focus I was using before.
post #68 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousRig View Post

Oh yeah I am stoked about it so far. I love the platform as it is very streamlined and very responsive. The phone itself feels great in your hand and even though some buttons (i.e. power button) are on the right instead of the top it feels more ergonomic. Same goes for certain functions within WP7. For example when I am on the phone/ending a call all the buttons are perfectly placed right where your thumb can easy reach it without having to adjust my grip. Its little things, but those little things make the difference in my book. Zero issues so far and I'm coming from an HTC Merge w/ Android 2.2 (Froyo) on Alltel. thumb.gif

biggrin.gif

Agree with the little things, I was utterly impressed by a non monotonic keyboard sounds, how well though out they were and the call answer mechanism, which is brilliant.

Have you already played with built in Bing? It can recognize music (like Shazam), scan bar codes from books, etc. and even translate text on a fly (captured live from camera) from one language to another biggrin.gif
Edited by Kauke - 4/11/12 at 8:47am
post #69 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauke View Post

biggrin.gif

Agree with the little things, I was utterly impressed by a non monotonic keyboard sounds, how well though out they were and the call answer mechanism, which is brilliant.

Have you already played with built in Bing? It can recognize music (like Shazam), scan bar codes from books, etc. and even translate text on a fly from one language to another biggrin.gif

I've never been a big Bing fan but now that you mention some of the built in features/capabilities I'm def. gonna check it out! cheers.gif
Black Box'o Fun
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K @ 4.4Ghz Asus P8P67 Deluxe EVGA GTX480 EVGA GTX480 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Ripjaws G.Skill Ripjaws Crucial C300 128GB SSD Intel X25-M 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG BD/DVD XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 Windows 7 HP 64bit Dell 24" S2409W (1080p baby!) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
XArmor U9BL Silverstone DA800 Mountain Mods U2-UFO Logitech G500 
Other
Audio-Technica M50 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box'o Fun
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K @ 4.4Ghz Asus P8P67 Deluxe EVGA GTX480 EVGA GTX480 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Ripjaws G.Skill Ripjaws Crucial C300 128GB SSD Intel X25-M 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG BD/DVD XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 Windows 7 HP 64bit Dell 24" S2409W (1080p baby!) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
XArmor U9BL Silverstone DA800 Mountain Mods U2-UFO Logitech G500 
Other
Audio-Technica M50 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousRig View Post

I've never been a big Bing fan but now that you mention some of the built in features/capabilities I'm def. gonna check it out! cheers.gif

Yeah, there's no need to download Shazam, a seperate QR / Barcode scanner app or anything like that. It's built into Bing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Engadget]Nokia makes Lumia 900 free to all AT&T customers, now through April 21st