Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [FB] Apple Snubs Firm That Discovered Mac Botnet, Tries To Cut Off Its Server Monitoring Infections
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[FB] Apple Snubs Firm That Discovered Mac Botnet, Tries To Cut Off Its Server Monitoring Infections - Page 6

post #51 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

The only secure os is linux, period.

The only secure OS is one installed on a computer with no USB ports, no network ports, no wireless, no Bluetooth, no serial or parallel or keyboard ports. Any OS capable of receiving input is vulnerable somewhere.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Asus GTX560 Ti 8GB G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1x 120GB SSD; 2x160GB; 750GB DVD-RW CM Hyper-212+ Win7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
1920x1200 24" Corsair 650 CM 690 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Asus GTX560 Ti 8GB G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1x 120GB SSD; 2x160GB; 750GB DVD-RW CM Hyper-212+ Win7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
1920x1200 24" Corsair 650 CM 690 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 103
Poopa it's useless arguing with OCN about this. If it has the word "Apple" in it, it's automatic flamebait. Most people can't see to grasp that this is an issue with Java, not Apple. Regardless of how much time it took for them to send out a patch from Oracle.


Oh and just to add, Apple doesn't have to release patches, anyone can go to the Java site and download the latest patches/programs, if they're so worried. What would you all do if there were no automatic updates? Man those were the days, still is in the *nix. You can choose to stay at a version for whatever reason, or you can update. Regardless of security vulnerabilities, it's up to the end user to make that decision.
post #53 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac the Geek View Post

The only secure OS is one installed on a computer with no USB ports, no network ports, no wireless, no Bluetooth, no serial or parallel or keyboard ports. Any OS capable of receiving input is vulnerable somewhere.

QFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Poopa it's useless arguing with OCN about this. If it has the word "Apple" in it, it's automatic flamebait. Most people can't see to grasp that this is an issue with Java, not Apple. Regardless of how much time it took for them to send out a patch from Oracle.
Oh and just to add, Apple doesn't have to release patches, anyone can go to the Java site and download the latest patches/programs, if they're so worried. What would you all do if there were no automatic updates? Man those were the days, still is in the *nix. You can choose to stay at a version for whatever reason, or you can update. Regardless of security vulnerabilities, it's up to the end user to make that decision.

140

well?


Stop arguing over semantics.
Edited by Nocturin - 4/11/12 at 1:19pm
AMD Transplant
(11 items)
 
To be a NAS
(13 items)
 
Death Kühler
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965BE GA-78LMT-S2P MSI TFIII 7950 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Noctua NH-D14 Win7 Pro FX2490HD 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X660 Antec Three Hundred Saitek Rat 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Gateway GM5072 AMD HD5550 2.0 Gb 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Samsung FX2490 MS Keyboard 3000 300w generic 
Mouse
MS Intellipoint 3000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k GigaByte Z68M-D2H-B3 MSI 560 Ti TFIII Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Antec Khuler 920 Win7 HP Samsung FX2490 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard 3000 Seasonic X-660 Antec Three Hundred Microsoft Mouse 3000 
Mouse PadAudio
None - Blue Track baby Senn HD428 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Transplant
(11 items)
 
To be a NAS
(13 items)
 
Death Kühler
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965BE GA-78LMT-S2P MSI TFIII 7950 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Noctua NH-D14 Win7 Pro FX2490HD 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X660 Antec Three Hundred Saitek Rat 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Gateway GM5072 AMD HD5550 2.0 Gb 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Samsung FX2490 MS Keyboard 3000 300w generic 
Mouse
MS Intellipoint 3000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k GigaByte Z68M-D2H-B3 MSI 560 Ti TFIII Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Antec Khuler 920 Win7 HP Samsung FX2490 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard 3000 Seasonic X-660 Antec Three Hundred Microsoft Mouse 3000 
Mouse PadAudio
None - Blue Track baby Senn HD428 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin View Post

QFT.
----
Stop arguing over semantics.

A WD VelociRaptor is a SSD. Trying to say otherwise is just semantics.
See how ignorant that makes you sound?
post #55 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post

A WD VelociRaptor is a SSD. Trying to say otherwise is just semantics.
See how ignorant that makes you sound?

o.0

A better example would of been a hybrid drive like the Momentus XT.

Calm down, tiger. I don't have time for insults today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post

Cuz OSX is super special and perfect, like their beautiful Apple logo... Or so the Windows noobs would try and have you believe.
The only ones trying to claim that OSX users think the OS is impenetrable, is people who don't actually use OSX. AKA, OCN trolls.

^
Look at that last two sentences. You said it yourself.

\/
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post

Nothing misleading. There still hasn't been a single virus for OSX in over 11 years and 50+ million users. Windows on the other hand, gets viruses plus the regular spyware by the thousands per day. This miniscule spyware that only affected people who browse with the Safari browser didn't do anything other than manipulate pages within Safari after a user manually gave it their admin user/pass. Besides, it was such a weak piece of spyware that it deleted itself before doing anything if it detected you had any kind of third party anti-virus or firewall. Unlike Windows, you can't escalate to admin privileges without the user manually giving up their credentials to malware on OSX. There's so many holes to gain root access in Windows it's ridiculous.

Edited by Nocturin - 4/11/12 at 1:40pm
AMD Transplant
(11 items)
 
To be a NAS
(13 items)
 
Death Kühler
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965BE GA-78LMT-S2P MSI TFIII 7950 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Noctua NH-D14 Win7 Pro FX2490HD 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X660 Antec Three Hundred Saitek Rat 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Gateway GM5072 AMD HD5550 2.0 Gb 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Samsung FX2490 MS Keyboard 3000 300w generic 
Mouse
MS Intellipoint 3000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k GigaByte Z68M-D2H-B3 MSI 560 Ti TFIII Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Antec Khuler 920 Win7 HP Samsung FX2490 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard 3000 Seasonic X-660 Antec Three Hundred Microsoft Mouse 3000 
Mouse PadAudio
None - Blue Track baby Senn HD428 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Transplant
(11 items)
 
To be a NAS
(13 items)
 
Death Kühler
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965BE GA-78LMT-S2P MSI TFIII 7950 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Noctua NH-D14 Win7 Pro FX2490HD 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X660 Antec Three Hundred Saitek Rat 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Gateway GM5072 AMD HD5550 2.0 Gb 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Samsung FX2490 MS Keyboard 3000 300w generic 
Mouse
MS Intellipoint 3000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k GigaByte Z68M-D2H-B3 MSI 560 Ti TFIII Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Antec Khuler 920 Win7 HP Samsung FX2490 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard 3000 Seasonic X-660 Antec Three Hundred Microsoft Mouse 3000 
Mouse PadAudio
None - Blue Track baby Senn HD428 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post

Nothing misleading. There still hasn't been a single virus for OSX in over 11 years

Wasn't osx leap a virus?? I think it was.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X Sapphire HD 6950 2GB DiRT 3 Edition / Unlocked ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 CL9 Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 830 256GB LG BH10LS30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Venomous-X Black Edition 2x Noiseblocker S-Series M12-P Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2510i 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance K90 EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X Sapphire HD 6950 2GB DiRT 3 Edition / Unlocked ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 CL9 Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 830 256GB LG BH10LS30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Venomous-X Black Edition 2x Noiseblocker S-Series M12-P Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2510i 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance K90 EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin View Post

o.0
A better example would of been a hybrid drive like the Momentus XT.
Calm down, tiger. I don't have time for insults today.
^
Look at that last two sentences. You said it yourself.
\/

Pointing out that there hasn't been a single virus for OSX in over 11 years is not the same as saying OSX is immune to security vulnerabilities... Reading comprehension fail.

But I'm sure you'll go back to trying to call spyware a virus since you still don't understand the difference between the two; which is just as ignorant as calling a hard disk drive an SSD.
Edited by PoopaScoopa - 4/11/12 at 2:08pm
post #58 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post

Pointing out that there hasn't been a single virus for OSX in over 11 years is not the same as saying OSX is immune to security vulnerabilities... Reading comprehension fail.
But I'm sure you'll go back to trying to call spyware a virus since you still don't understand the difference between the two; which is just as ignorant as calling a hard disk drive an SSD.

There's no need to attack me. I did not claim to know more than you on the versing of virus/spyware/malware. Nor did I claim that this security vulnerability is a virus or spyware, I simply responded saying, "Stop arguing about semantics". See below.
Quote:
Semantics

3. the meaning, or an interpretation of the meaning, of a word, sign, sentence, etc.: Let's not argue about semantics.

Comprehension fail.
AMD Transplant
(11 items)
 
To be a NAS
(13 items)
 
Death Kühler
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965BE GA-78LMT-S2P MSI TFIII 7950 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Noctua NH-D14 Win7 Pro FX2490HD 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X660 Antec Three Hundred Saitek Rat 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Gateway GM5072 AMD HD5550 2.0 Gb 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Samsung FX2490 MS Keyboard 3000 300w generic 
Mouse
MS Intellipoint 3000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k GigaByte Z68M-D2H-B3 MSI 560 Ti TFIII Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Antec Khuler 920 Win7 HP Samsung FX2490 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard 3000 Seasonic X-660 Antec Three Hundred Microsoft Mouse 3000 
Mouse PadAudio
None - Blue Track baby Senn HD428 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Transplant
(11 items)
 
To be a NAS
(13 items)
 
Death Kühler
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965BE GA-78LMT-S2P MSI TFIII 7950 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Noctua NH-D14 Win7 Pro FX2490HD 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X660 Antec Three Hundred Saitek Rat 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Gateway GM5072 AMD HD5550 2.0 Gb 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Samsung FX2490 MS Keyboard 3000 300w generic 
Mouse
MS Intellipoint 3000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k GigaByte Z68M-D2H-B3 MSI 560 Ti TFIII Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Antec Khuler 920 Win7 HP Samsung FX2490 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard 3000 Seasonic X-660 Antec Three Hundred Microsoft Mouse 3000 
Mouse PadAudio
None - Blue Track baby Senn HD428 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin View Post

There's no need to attack me. I did not claim to know more than you on the versing of virus/spyware/malware. Nor did I claim that this security vulnerability is a virus or spyware, I simply responded saying, "Stop arguing about semantics". See below.

Comprehension fail.

You just did in post 56....
Trying to join in on the discussion where the last couple of pages have been people trying to call spyware a virus and then you saying that people should stop arguing semantics as someone else already said on that subject, is you agreeing with them. Pointing out that a hard disk drive is not an SSD is not semantics, and neither is pointing out that spyware is not a virus. Both are under similar categories such as "hard drives" or "malware" but their specific names are attributed to very different characteristics. Again, I shouldn't have to hold your hand and walk you through something as simple as this. Why can't you connect the dots on your own?
post #60 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post

You just did in post 56....
Trying to join in on the discussion where the last couple of pages have been people trying to call spyware a virus and then you saying that people should stop arguing semantics as someone else already said on that subject, is you agreeing with them. Pointing out that a hard disk drive is not an SSD is not semantics, and neither is pointing out that spyware is not a virus. Both are under similar categories such as "hard drives" or "malware" but their specific names are attributed to very different characteristics. Again, I shouldn't have to hold your hand and walk you through something as simple as this. Why can't you connect the dots on your own?


I'm still trying to wrap my head around the logic of that sentence. And the sentence afterwards in relation to this:
Quote:
A WD VelociRaptor is a SSD. Trying to say otherwise is just semantics.
See how ignorant that makes you sound?

It's hard to connect the dots when the context surrounding the dots makes little to no sense to my feeble mind.

What if I like holding your hand?
Edited by Nocturin - 4/11/12 at 2:47pm
AMD Transplant
(11 items)
 
To be a NAS
(13 items)
 
Death Kühler
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965BE GA-78LMT-S2P MSI TFIII 7950 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Noctua NH-D14 Win7 Pro FX2490HD 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X660 Antec Three Hundred Saitek Rat 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Gateway GM5072 AMD HD5550 2.0 Gb 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Samsung FX2490 MS Keyboard 3000 300w generic 
Mouse
MS Intellipoint 3000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k GigaByte Z68M-D2H-B3 MSI 560 Ti TFIII Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Antec Khuler 920 Win7 HP Samsung FX2490 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard 3000 Seasonic X-660 Antec Three Hundred Microsoft Mouse 3000 
Mouse PadAudio
None - Blue Track baby Senn HD428 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Transplant
(11 items)
 
To be a NAS
(13 items)
 
Death Kühler
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965BE GA-78LMT-S2P MSI TFIII 7950 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Noctua NH-D14 Win7 Pro FX2490HD 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X660 Antec Three Hundred Saitek Rat 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Gateway GM5072 AMD HD5550 2.0 Gb 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Samsung FX2490 MS Keyboard 3000 300w generic 
Mouse
MS Intellipoint 3000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k GigaByte Z68M-D2H-B3 MSI 560 Ti TFIII Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Antec Khuler 920 Win7 HP Samsung FX2490 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard 3000 Seasonic X-660 Antec Three Hundred Microsoft Mouse 3000 
Mouse PadAudio
None - Blue Track baby Senn HD428 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [FB] Apple Snubs Firm That Discovered Mac Botnet, Tries To Cut Off Its Server Monitoring Infections