Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Athlon X3 460 "HELP"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Athlon X3 460 "HELP"

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
hey ocn, i could use some help here on this. i recently purchased a used x3 460. the previous owner was able to get it to 4.1ghz as a Quad. i can't even push out of 3.6. here are the specs

AMD Athlon X3 460 (Unlocks x4 Stable)
ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3
4gb 2x2gb kit Corsair Vengance
ATI Radeon 5570 (OC To compare to 5670)
Noctua NH-D14 (Single Scythe 120mm 100cfm fan in PnP)
Corsair CX 430
Antec Three Hundred (No Mods)
Windows Vista Ultimate

stat's (at stock)
Clock Speed = 3400mhz
Multiplier = 17
FSB = 200
vCore = 1.400
CPU-NB vCore = 1.25 (OV)
PowerNow! = Disabled
C1E = Disabled
SVM= Disabled

stat's (OC)
Clock Speed = 4012mhz
Multiplier = 17
FSB = 236
vCore = 1.5625
CPU-NB vCore = 1.25 (OV)
PowerNow! = Disabled
C1E = Disabled
SVM= Disabled

it is still unstable :C
Computer
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon X4 640 with L3 Unlocked - 4ghz Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 GTX 650 8gb (4x2gb) Corsair Vengance 1600-9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
200gb Hitachi Deskstar NH-D14 Win 7 G710+ 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair TX650v2 G300 Blue Yeti 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon X4 640 with L3 Unlocked - 4ghz Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 GTX 650 8gb (4x2gb) Corsair Vengance 1600-9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
200gb Hitachi Deskstar NH-D14 Win 7 G710+ 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair TX650v2 G300 Blue Yeti 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by theamdman View Post

i recently purchased a used x3 460. the previous owner was able to get it to 4.1ghz as a Quad. i can't even push out of 3.6.


Do you or the previous owner have proof of 4.1ghz?
post #3 of 24
well if you look at your voltages, they are WAY TOO HIGH!!! i would NEVER go over 1.5 volts without water cooling, and with such a small cooler, you probably shouldnt go over 1.45 at tops. is this your first time overclocking? never ever ever go above 1.5 volts on air. what temps are you getting?
post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
Computer
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon X4 640 with L3 Unlocked - 4ghz Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 GTX 650 8gb (4x2gb) Corsair Vengance 1600-9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
200gb Hitachi Deskstar NH-D14 Win 7 G710+ 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair TX650v2 G300 Blue Yeti 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon X4 640 with L3 Unlocked - 4ghz Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 GTX 650 8gb (4x2gb) Corsair Vengance 1600-9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
200gb Hitachi Deskstar NH-D14 Win 7 G710+ 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair TX650v2 G300 Blue Yeti 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 24
Your safe upto 1.55v on air. Apart from this what are your core temps? They matter more than your cpu temps. The max core temp shouldn't be over 62c. However,try keeping it below 60c on full load. I see you haven't mentioned what frequency your ram is at or even what your ht link and cpu-nb frequency is set at. Kindly provide these details and i will be more than happy to help you out:)
Jay
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 4.4Ghz at 1.36v GA 78LMT USB3 Rev 5.0 Sapphire R9 285 OC 16GB Kingston Savage Ram 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Western Digital 500GB Seagate Barracuda Noctua NH-D15S Windows 8.1 
MonitorPowerMouseMouse Pad
Asus MG279Q Fressync OCZ ZS 650 Watt PSU Dragonwar ELE-G9 Dragonwar 
  hide details  
Reply
Jay
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 4.4Ghz at 1.36v GA 78LMT USB3 Rev 5.0 Sapphire R9 285 OC 16GB Kingston Savage Ram 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Western Digital 500GB Seagate Barracuda Noctua NH-D15S Windows 8.1 
MonitorPowerMouseMouse Pad
Asus MG279Q Fressync OCZ ZS 650 Watt PSU Dragonwar ELE-G9 Dragonwar 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason387 View Post

Your safe upto 1.55v on air. Apart from this what are your core temps? They matter more than your cpu temps. The max core temp shouldn't be over 62c. However,try keeping it below 60c on full load. I see you haven't mentioned what frequency your ram is at or even what your ht link and cpu-nb frequency is set at. Kindly provide these details and i will be more than happy to help you out:)

the ram is at 1573mhz
the CPU-NP and HT Link are at 2360mhz
Computer
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon X4 640 with L3 Unlocked - 4ghz Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 GTX 650 8gb (4x2gb) Corsair Vengance 1600-9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
200gb Hitachi Deskstar NH-D14 Win 7 G710+ 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair TX650v2 G300 Blue Yeti 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon X4 640 with L3 Unlocked - 4ghz Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 GTX 650 8gb (4x2gb) Corsair Vengance 1600-9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
200gb Hitachi Deskstar NH-D14 Win 7 G710+ 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair TX650v2 G300 Blue Yeti 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 24
What is your stock ram frequency and what ram are you using? And keep your ht link as close to stock as possible. When you say that it is not stable it implies that you are coming across the blue screen of death and when windows restarts you will be getting an error code. What error code are you getting? Here is a list of common errors that i compiled-
0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease vcore or QPI/VTT...have to test to see which one it is
0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore
0x1E = increase vcore
0x3B = increase vcore
0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary
0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x
0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)
0x1a = Memory Management
Jay
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 4.4Ghz at 1.36v GA 78LMT USB3 Rev 5.0 Sapphire R9 285 OC 16GB Kingston Savage Ram 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Western Digital 500GB Seagate Barracuda Noctua NH-D15S Windows 8.1 
MonitorPowerMouseMouse Pad
Asus MG279Q Fressync OCZ ZS 650 Watt PSU Dragonwar ELE-G9 Dragonwar 
  hide details  
Reply
Jay
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 4.4Ghz at 1.36v GA 78LMT USB3 Rev 5.0 Sapphire R9 285 OC 16GB Kingston Savage Ram 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Western Digital 500GB Seagate Barracuda Noctua NH-D15S Windows 8.1 
MonitorPowerMouseMouse Pad
Asus MG279Q Fressync OCZ ZS 650 Watt PSU Dragonwar ELE-G9 Dragonwar 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason387 View Post

What is your stock ram frequency and what ram are you using? And keep your ht link as close to stock as possible. When you say that it is not stable it implies that you are coming across the blue screen of death and when windows restarts you will be getting an error code. What error code are you getting? Here is a list of common errors that i compiled-
0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease vcore or QPI/VTT...have to test to see which one it is
0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore
0x1E = increase vcore
0x3B = increase vcore
0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary
0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x
0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)
0x1a = Memory Management

i don't even get a BSOD, it just looses it.
Computer
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon X4 640 with L3 Unlocked - 4ghz Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 GTX 650 8gb (4x2gb) Corsair Vengance 1600-9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
200gb Hitachi Deskstar NH-D14 Win 7 G710+ 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair TX650v2 G300 Blue Yeti 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon X4 640 with L3 Unlocked - 4ghz Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 GTX 650 8gb (4x2gb) Corsair Vengance 1600-9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
200gb Hitachi Deskstar NH-D14 Win 7 G710+ 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair TX650v2 G300 Blue Yeti 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 24
I see you're on a Sabertooth..so the board should handle it..
do believe i set the cpu/nb higher..and gave it moar juice..like..1.375-ish
Could be the mobo..try rolling back to the original BIOS with it..
Later BIOSes are geared towards FX cpus
..Could be the RAMs too..I have some good RAMs
Know what? I might still have the settings wink.gif brb
Edited by Schmuckley - 4/13/12 at 7:11pm
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

I see you're on a Sabertooth..so the board should handle it..
do believe i set the cpu/nb higher..and gave it moar juice..like..1.375-ish
Could be the mobo..try rolling back to the original BIOS with it..
Later BIOSes are geared towards FX cpus
..Could be the RAMs too..I have some good RAMs

that would help wink.gif
Computer
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon X4 640 with L3 Unlocked - 4ghz Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 GTX 650 8gb (4x2gb) Corsair Vengance 1600-9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
200gb Hitachi Deskstar NH-D14 Win 7 G710+ 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair TX650v2 G300 Blue Yeti 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon X4 640 with L3 Unlocked - 4ghz Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 GTX 650 8gb (4x2gb) Corsair Vengance 1600-9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
200gb Hitachi Deskstar NH-D14 Win 7 G710+ 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair TX650v2 G300 Blue Yeti 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Athlon X3 460 "HELP"