Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › APU build for light gaming?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

APU build for light gaming? - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
The resolution he is going to be using is a 1440x900 resolution. I don't know much about amd motherboard like Intel lga1155 so is there anything special about the boards? Also on the overclocks. Would be like intels multiplier or doing the blck?

I would go and sell him my used 550 ti for about 100 but the thing is he prefer to buy everything new and not used.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by keytachi626 View Post

The resolution he is going to be using is a 1440x900 resolution. I don't know much about amd motherboard like Intel lga1155 so is there anything special about the boards? Also on the overclocks. Would be like intels multiplier or doing the blck?
I would go and sell him my used 550 ti for about 100 but the thing is he prefer to buy everything new and not used.

Okay and not really but you probably already know that you can run Hybrid Crossfire , The best card you can use along with the Gpu On the chip is the HD 6670 So Basically you have the onboard graphics and the 6670 Working together and you get about a 30+% Pefrormce Boost.

If He had a 550 ti in the system it would turn the on chip graphics off and it would only use the 550 ti. smile.gif


I am not sure on overclocking this chip as i don't own one but there are lots of posts with people saying they have overclocked it smile.gif
Desktop
(14 items)
 
Laptop
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[AMD] FX 4100  [Gigabyte] GA-880GM-USB3 (Rev 3.1) [MSI] Radeon HD 6770  [Crucial] Ballistix tactical tracers (2x2GB) 16... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
[Seagate] ST1000DM003 1TB (Storage) [SanDisk] 64GB SSD (Boot) [Coolermaster] Hyper TX3 Evo [Windows] 7 Professional x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
[LG] Flatron W2246 22" [Novatech] PowerStation 500W PSU [Fractal Design] Core 1000  [Gigabyte] M6800 Gamings Mouse 
Mouse PadAudio
[Ozone] Groundlevel S Gaming Mousemat [Gigabyte] Onboard Audio 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
[Intel] Core I5 3230M 3.2Ghz [AMD] HD 7670M  [Samsung] 6GB 1600Mhz [Seagate] Sata 3 500GB HDD 
OSAudio
[Windows] 8 Professional X64 [Beats] Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(14 items)
 
Laptop
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[AMD] FX 4100  [Gigabyte] GA-880GM-USB3 (Rev 3.1) [MSI] Radeon HD 6770  [Crucial] Ballistix tactical tracers (2x2GB) 16... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
[Seagate] ST1000DM003 1TB (Storage) [SanDisk] 64GB SSD (Boot) [Coolermaster] Hyper TX3 Evo [Windows] 7 Professional x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
[LG] Flatron W2246 22" [Novatech] PowerStation 500W PSU [Fractal Design] Core 1000  [Gigabyte] M6800 Gamings Mouse 
Mouse PadAudio
[Ozone] Groundlevel S Gaming Mousemat [Gigabyte] Onboard Audio 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
[Intel] Core I5 3230M 3.2Ghz [AMD] HD 7670M  [Samsung] 6GB 1600Mhz [Seagate] Sata 3 500GB HDD 
OSAudio
[Windows] 8 Professional X64 [Beats] Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 17
For WoW, buy an i-3 and a nice GPU. That will give him max frames. SC2, im going to bet, will be able to run on the same thing. I used a 5670 for WoW, and I could do alright on a 20 in monitor. but my 5770 is lacking nowa days on my 23in monitor. I avg 60 fps,. but there are spikes + my internet spikes that things go downhill fast.
There was a person who bought the Llano A8-3870k + a 6890 or 6990 and they were maxing games out like a bauss. I would recommend you overclock, if not just a bit and keep the stock volts. Or up the volts a little. If you buy an APU the graphics memory controller would benefit quite a bit from the overclock.
Fun box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 950 @ 3.20 Asus P6X58D  Radeon HD 5770 16GB 4x2gb G-skill Ripjaws. 2x4GB Corsair Domin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
128gb SSD, 320GB, 750GB, 1TB, 1.5TB HDDs Light-on DVD multi Rosewill ARMOR  Windows 8 enterprise x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" Acer. Razor Lycosa  Rosewill 650 Watt Rosewill Armor.  
MouseAudio
Razer Naga  Altec Lansing 2.1. 
  hide details  
Reply
Fun box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 950 @ 3.20 Asus P6X58D  Radeon HD 5770 16GB 4x2gb G-skill Ripjaws. 2x4GB Corsair Domin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
128gb SSD, 320GB, 750GB, 1TB, 1.5TB HDDs Light-on DVD multi Rosewill ARMOR  Windows 8 enterprise x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" Acer. Razor Lycosa  Rosewill 650 Watt Rosewill Armor.  
MouseAudio
Razer Naga  Altec Lansing 2.1. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
getting a llano and anything above a 6670 is useless. You might as well grab an i3. you cannot hybrid xfire with anything above a 6670 on llano.
i3 & 550 ti (Click to show)
Part list permalink

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB Video Card ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $474.92
unlocked llano & 6670 (Click to show)
Part list permalink

CPU: AMD A6-3670K 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.98 @ Mwave)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.44 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock A55M-HVS Micro ATX FM1 Motherboard ($60.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($57.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $476.33

Both builds include a 2.5" 500GB notebook HDD. It is sata2, but for HDDs, sata2 vs stata3 yields no difference. You will see better performance with the i3 + 550 ti than the overclocked llano + 6670 in hybrid xfire. But imo the llano build would be more fun if you like overclocking.
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517 View Post

getting a llano and anything above a 6670 is useless. You might as well grab an i3. you cannot hybrid xfire with anything above a 6670 on llano. i3 & 550 ti (Click to show)
Part list permalink
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB Video Card ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $474.92
unlocked llano & 6670 (Click to show)
Part list permalink
CPU: AMD A6-3670K 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.98 @ Mwave)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.44 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock A55M-HVS Micro ATX FM1 Motherboard ($60.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($57.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $476.33
Both builds include a 2.5" 500GB notebook HDD. It is sata2, but for HDDs, sata2 vs stata3 yields no difference. You will see better performance with the i3 + 550 ti than the overclocked llano + 6670 in hybrid xfire. But imo the llano build would be more fun if you like overclocking.

^ This is the way to go. thumb.gif
 
The Lil Llano
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7-3930k C-2 ASrock Extreme9 X79 EVGA GTX570 HD Muskin Redline 993997 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 Dell Constilation 7200rpm 6gbps LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model i... Corsair H100 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Coolermaster Excalibur (x4) Coolermaster Turbine (x4) Bitfenix 200mm Spectre Pro  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24" Sammy 23" Asus Logitech G15 Coolermaster Silent Pro 1300w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600t Logitech MX518 Razer Vespula Dual Sided  Creative 3d Game Blaster 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A4-3300 Llano ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD A55 AMD Radeon HD 6410D G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE Stock Windows XP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K400 275w APEX DM-318 Black Steel Micro ATX Logitech K400 
  hide details  
Reply
 
The Lil Llano
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7-3930k C-2 ASrock Extreme9 X79 EVGA GTX570 HD Muskin Redline 993997 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 Dell Constilation 7200rpm 6gbps LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model i... Corsair H100 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Coolermaster Excalibur (x4) Coolermaster Turbine (x4) Bitfenix 200mm Spectre Pro  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24" Sammy 23" Asus Logitech G15 Coolermaster Silent Pro 1300w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600t Logitech MX518 Razer Vespula Dual Sided  Creative 3d Game Blaster 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A4-3300 Llano ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD A55 AMD Radeon HD 6410D G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE Stock Windows XP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K400 275w APEX DM-318 Black Steel Micro ATX Logitech K400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 17

You do NOT want to be using generic 1333 CL9 RAM as you are bottlenecking the entire setup and losing a large chunk of performance on the A8 APU, which is very bandwidth-intensive.  Look at MINIMUM to a DDR3-1600 kit.  There is a Team kit that costs less than $38 shipped and is DDR3-1600 with lifetime warranty.

 

With a $500 budget, you should look to avoiding the APU together because you can get something better.  Look for an FX-41XX or Phenom II x4/x6 (1045T is just $133 shipped on Superbiiz!) + HD 7750 or 7770 or 6870 PC.


(Oh yeah, did I mention that the HD 7750 outperforms the 550 Ti at half the power consumption and for less price?)

post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

You do NOT want to be using generic 1333 CL9 RAM as you are bottlenecking the entire setup and losing a large chunk of performance on the A8 APU, which is very bandwidth-intensive.  Look at MINIMUM to a DDR3-1600 kit.  There is a Team kit that costs less than $38 shipped and is DDR3-1600 with lifetime warranty.

With a $500 budget, you should look to avoiding the APU together because you can get something better.  Look for an FX-41XX or Phenom II x4/x6 (1045T is just $133 shipped on Superbiiz!) + HD 7750 or 7770 or 6870 PC.


(Oh yeah, did I mention that the HD 7750 outperforms the 550 Ti at half the power consumption and for less price?)

I saw the leak video about the *GTX 650* scoring pretty good which was the same about 7750 so yeah I knew about that but didn't know it was cheaper than the 550 ti.

I am thinking that he is just gonna wait for the IB and trinity to come out for now and see how much they cost since I gave him some of the options here and now it's confusing him haha. Thanks guys +Rep to you all
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › APU build for light gaming?