Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VR-Zone] Intel cuts desktop Ivy Bridge CPU pricing ahead of launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[VR-Zone] Intel cuts desktop Ivy Bridge CPU pricing ahead of launch - Page 13

post #121 of 149
If it doesn't overclock as well as SB then I can't see much reason for an enthusiast to choose it over SB for a new build, and no reason to upgrade from SB.

Anyway I'm perfectly happy with my new 3820 rig.
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
post #122 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ant View Post

If it doesn't overclock as well as SB then I can't see much reason for an enthusiast to choose it over SB for a new build, and no reason to upgrade from SB.
Anyway I'm perfectly happy with my new 3820 rig.

My question is...how high can you overclock the 3820 as compared to it is 6 core unlocked breatheren...not sure if it is worth the extra money to get it.....
my temp rig
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 6700K Asus Z170 Pro Gamin GTX1080 Samsung 830 256GB 
CoolingOS
Hyper 212+ EVO Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
my temp rig
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 6700K Asus Z170 Pro Gamin GTX1080 Samsung 830 256GB 
CoolingOS
Hyper 212+ EVO Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #123 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by soth7676 View Post

My question is...how high can you overclock the 3820 as compared to it is 6 core unlocked breatheren...not sure if it is worth the extra money to get it.....

The CPU itself is cheaper than a 2600k, my motherboard cost me 309$ which is just about the same as a high end SB or IB motherboard.

As far as its overclockability just do a search for 3820 overclock and read the big thread here. 4.7ghz is average, 5ghz should be achievable easily with good cooling. It's only partially locked, it has a max multiplier of 43 and with baseclock straps it can theoretically go well over 5ghz.

Compared to the 6 core cpu's it should overclock much better considering it puts out much less heat, unless you get lucky your not taking one of the 6 core k models above 5ghz without some serious liquid cooling.
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
post #124 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet-205 View Post

On average a 7% performance gain to SB. So a 4.5 GHz IB is comparable to 4.8 GHz SB, which is normal for those who run on air.
So you say Intel should just give up on iGPU? "Really" nice thinking there. Wonder who is the one that keeps rooting for underdog?
Just so you know, OEM will be really happy about this. We overclockers only represent 5% of the market. Most goes to OEM for both Intel and AMD.

Have you even seen the preliminary integer numbers that Trinity has achieved? It is absurdly powerful for an APU. I'm sorry but Intel has no chance.The fact that Microsoft and Sony both have contracts with AMD should be an early indication of what the OEM vendors will go for. Any OEM vendor would be stupid to pick IB over Trinity given their demographic.

I don't know about you but I sure didn't ask for better graphics on my cpu. I just want pure power. I think it's pretty safe to say that most users who buy SB are after pure power, not integrated graphics. Sure it's nice to have. But AMD is clearly the better choice when it comes to integrated graphics as they have a completely separate gpu department (the old ATI) where as Intel does not.

Given the temps that I have been seeing from IB, the basic overclocker on air will only be able to achieve somewhere around 4.3-4.4 ghz for 24/7. So that equates to 4.6-4.7 ghz on SB which most SB can achieve anyway. Put that with the fact that 300 mhz is negligible to begin with. Face it, IB is a flop. SB is clearly the better choice between the two.
post #125 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Hmmmm.... a response to an anticipated soft market... or not meeting expectations?

This is my question too hopefully the first.
(^ ^)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8120 SABERTOOTH 990FX Radeon HD 6870 Radeon HD 6870 
RAMHard DriveCoolingKeyboard
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB KIT Seagate @ 7600 RPM Corsair H100 Logitech G19 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850 Corsair Carbide 500R Midi Tower Logitech MX518 Pink Steelseries 
AudioOther
Audigy Platinum 2 ZS Steelseries Siberia V2 
  hide details  
Reply
(^ ^)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8120 SABERTOOTH 990FX Radeon HD 6870 Radeon HD 6870 
RAMHard DriveCoolingKeyboard
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB KIT Seagate @ 7600 RPM Corsair H100 Logitech G19 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850 Corsair Carbide 500R Midi Tower Logitech MX518 Pink Steelseries 
AudioOther
Audigy Platinum 2 ZS Steelseries Siberia V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #126 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerparts View Post

Have you even seen the preliminary integer numbers that Trinity has achieved? It is absurdly powerful for an APU. I'm sorry but Intel has no chance.The fact that Microsoft and Sony both have contracts with AMD should be an early indication of what the OEM vendors will go for. Any OEM vendor would be stupid to pick IB over Trinity given their demographic.

I don't know about you but I sure didn't ask for better graphics on my cpu. I just want pure power. I think it's pretty safe to say that most users who buy SB are after pure power, not integrated graphics. Sure it's nice to have. But AMD is clearly the better choice when it comes to integrated graphics as they have a completely separate gpu department (the old ATI) where as Intel does not.

Given the temps that I have been seeing from IB, the basic overclocker on air will only be able to achieve somewhere around 4.3-4.4 ghz for 24/7. So that equates to 4.6-4.7 ghz on SB which most SB can achieve anyway. Put that with the fact that 300 mhz is negligible to begin with. Face it, IB is a flop. SB is clearly the better choice between the two.

Sour grapes anyone? All the sudden you bring AMD to this discussion.

Like I said, overclockers or enthusiasts only represent tiny portion of the market. OEM will love the improvement of IB because at stock it is cooler and more energy efficient than SB. How is that a fail, when OEM is Intel and AMD biggest customer? Trinity will no doubt score big in laptop, but there are plenty of laptops with Intel CPUs inside as well. Not everyone will use their laptops for gaming or intensive graphics. Maybe they want better battery life, or do things that need more CPU power, which Intel again wins on this area. In any case, Intel would want to address OEM first and enthusiasts second, just like AMD.

You seem to also forget that IB is mainly a die shrink rather than a new design. No body expected a huge performance gain with it to being with. For Intel, IB is just a test ground for the new 22 nm and 3D transistor.

The idea of giving up iGPU is also absurd. It is like saying eliminate the competition. Hmm.. but I thought AMD users want to keep the competition alive, no? Just because AMD wins on this area doesn't mean Intel should just give up, even when we are talking about performance segment. iGPU is also useful in Quick Sync, which is nice to have. OEM wants better iGPU above all.

All in all, the performance didn't go backward. Which is good, considering Intel didn't repeat P4 all over again. With that said, it is not a flop. Sure has less incentive in upgrading. I will still buy IB though, i3-2100 is just a stepping stone for me.
Edited by trumpet-205 - 4/14/12 at 1:42pm
Misaka
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB Samsung DDR3 16 GB (30 nm) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128 GB WD Caviar Blue 1 TB Lite-on DVD Burner Thermalright Venomous X 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Professional x64 (Host) Crunchbang Linux x64 (Guest) HP 2311x HP PS/2 Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Capstone 450 W Rosewill Challenger Logitech M570 ASUS Xonar D1 
Other
Hauppauge HVR-1250 
  hide details  
Reply
Misaka
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB Samsung DDR3 16 GB (30 nm) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128 GB WD Caviar Blue 1 TB Lite-on DVD Burner Thermalright Venomous X 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Professional x64 (Host) Crunchbang Linux x64 (Guest) HP 2311x HP PS/2 Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Capstone 450 W Rosewill Challenger Logitech M570 ASUS Xonar D1 
Other
Hauppauge HVR-1250 
  hide details  
Reply
post #127 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet-205 View Post

Sour grapes anyone? All the sudden you bring AMD to this discussion.
Like I said, overclockers or enthusiasts only represent tiny portion of the market. OEM will love the improvement of IB because at stock it is cooler and more energy efficient than SB. How is that a fail, when OEM is Intel and AMD biggest customer? Trinity will no doubt score big in laptop, but there are plenty of laptops with Intel CPUs inside as well. Not everyone will use their laptops for gaming or intensive graphics. Maybe they want better battery life, or do things that need more CPU power, which Intel again wins on this area. In any case, Intel would want to address OEM first and enthusiasts second, just like AMD.
You seem to also forget that IB is mainly a die shrink rather than a new design. No body expected a huge performance gain with it to being with. For Intel, IB is just a test ground for the new 22 nm and 3D transistor.
The idea of giving up iGPU is also absurd. It is like saying eliminate the competition. Hmm.. but I thought AMD users want to keep the competition alive, no? Just because AMD wins on this area doesn't mean Intel should just give up, even when we are talking about performance segment. iGPU is also useful in Quick Sync, which is nice to have. OEM wants better iGPU above all.
All in all, the performance didn't go backward. Which is good, considering Intel didn't repeat P4 all over again. With that said, it is not a flop. Sure has less incentive in upgrading. I will still buy IB though, i3-2100 is just a stepping stone for me.

I'll agree to disagree and leave it at that.
post #128 of 149
Someone tell me that Intel isn't flopping on this go round for the enthusiasts. blinksmiley.gif
Big Bang
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Msi Big Bang Xpower II Evga Gtx 570 Corsair Dominator GT with Extended Fins 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 Caviar Black Intel 520 Samsung Blu-Ray 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC RX 360 XSPC RX 360 XSPC Raystorm MCP-655B Pump 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Dual 5.25 Res Bitspower Compression Fittings, Numerous Primochill 1/2'' ID 3/4'' OD tubing Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung BX2250 Samsung S24A850DW Steel Series 7G Corsair AX1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Dimastech Test Bench Easy Dual Steelseries Sensei Fnatic Edition SteelSeries QCK Audio Technica AD700  
OtherOtherOther
FiiO E10 Scythe Fan Controller 12 Channel Corsair Individually Sleeved PSU Cables White 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Bang
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Msi Big Bang Xpower II Evga Gtx 570 Corsair Dominator GT with Extended Fins 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 Caviar Black Intel 520 Samsung Blu-Ray 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC RX 360 XSPC RX 360 XSPC Raystorm MCP-655B Pump 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Dual 5.25 Res Bitspower Compression Fittings, Numerous Primochill 1/2'' ID 3/4'' OD tubing Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung BX2250 Samsung S24A850DW Steel Series 7G Corsair AX1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Dimastech Test Bench Easy Dual Steelseries Sensei Fnatic Edition SteelSeries QCK Audio Technica AD700  
OtherOtherOther
FiiO E10 Scythe Fan Controller 12 Channel Corsair Individually Sleeved PSU Cables White 
  hide details  
Reply
post #129 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywar View Post

Someone tell me that Intel isn't flopping on this go round for the enthusiasts. blinksmiley.gif

Why should they care about us? We only account for 1% of sales. Oems love what intel is doing
post #130 of 149
There's a member here named punceh managed to get 3570K stable @4.8GHz on 1.225V with reasonable temperatures on AIR.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1242711/tweak-town-asrock-z77-extreme6-intel-z77-with-ivy-bridge-motherboard-review/180#post_16976735

Don't forget, Ivy Bridges support PCI 3.0 and higher RAM speeds over SB.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VR-Zone] Intel cuts desktop Ivy Bridge CPU pricing ahead of launch