Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Upgrading my current rig (see signature) IB or SB?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrading my current rig (see signature) IB or SB?

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
So I heard that IB is coming out April 23rd.

I want to upgrade my current rig as you can see in my signature but I need help on deciding on which route to go. I'm not an extreme overclocker but wouldn't mind some minor tweaks to the system. Should I get an IB chip? or stick with SB to save some cash? I want to game mainly on Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 and BF3

The other problem I'm having is choosing a socket. I want the board to last at least 2 years so I was considering Socket 1150 which I believe would be released when IB was announced. Or should I stick to 1155 or 2011? (Considering a Haswell upgrade if its worth it) I guess choosing the chip would help LOL

Upgrades include: CPU, MB, video card (maybe wait for GK110?), cpu cooling systems.
(Possible upgrades: PSU, ram, case, sound card? Budget: around 1500ish)

But yeah.. Thank you biggrin.gif
Iconix
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 In... GeForce GTX 295 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Asus BR-04B2T Stock air Windows Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung LN40B500 40" 1080p LCD HDTV Logitech G15 Kingwin ABT-1220MA1S Xclio 777COLOR Super Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G700 Func 1030 Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic Logitech Z-5500 
  hide details  
Reply
Iconix
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 In... GeForce GTX 295 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Asus BR-04B2T Stock air Windows Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung LN40B500 40" 1080p LCD HDTV Logitech G15 Kingwin ABT-1220MA1S Xclio 777COLOR Super Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G700 Func 1030 Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic Logitech Z-5500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 4
your chip is still a nice chip... I personally wouldn't upgrade til Haswell. Just OC it a bit (as a placebo effect because i'm sure it's not bottlenecking anything at all) and just upgrade your GPU.

Ivy Bridge will still use the 1155 socket of SB (and the last one to do so), so if you upgrade to SB/IB now, you'll need a new motherboard for Haswell or later.

I see in your specs you have stock air cooling, get a Hyper 212+ for ~$20 and OC that chip!
post #3 of 4
Haswell is at least a year away...

If you want to upgrade now, IB probably makes the most sense since you said you're you're not looking to OC all that much. Early returns are not very favorable when it comes to OCing IB, but at stock/mild overclock, it beats SB. Not by leaps and bounds, but it is better. Overall, a Z77 mobo with either chip is the way to go for what you want.

I kind of agree with the poster above though, you're not going to see all that much of an improvement over what you currently have. Upgrading your GPU will probably give you the most noticeable results. Both IB and SB will be an upgrade over a 920, but whether or not the performance is worth the cost is the question. I personally don't think it is. YMMV...
Missing Sue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K 4.8 @ 1.375v 24/7 ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GTX680 16GB (4GB x4) G. Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 128GB, WD 1TB, Samsung F4 2TB LG 10x Blu-ray Burner Windows 7 Home Premium Samsung 27" 
PowerCase
Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W COOLER MASTER HAF X 942 
  hide details  
Reply
Missing Sue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K 4.8 @ 1.375v 24/7 ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GTX680 16GB (4GB x4) G. Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 128GB, WD 1TB, Samsung F4 2TB LG 10x Blu-ray Burner Windows 7 Home Premium Samsung 27" 
PowerCase
Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W COOLER MASTER HAF X 942 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchuSaysBlessYou View Post

your chip is still a nice chip... I personally wouldn't upgrade til Haswell. Just OC it a bit (as a placebo effect because i'm sure it's not bottlenecking anything at all) and just upgrade your GPU.
Ivy Bridge will still use the 1155 socket of SB (and the last one to do so), so if you upgrade to SB/IB now, you'll need a new motherboard for Haswell or later.
I see in your specs you have stock air cooling, get a Hyper 212+ for ~$20 and OC that chip!

What GPU do you suggest? I was looking at that cooler; it looks awesome. I'm not much of an OCer but if anything I'm sure if I search this forum I would find a guide. If I don't buy parts I can get an ultrabook with IB instead..
Thanks for the input AchuSaysBlessYou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou3824 View Post

Haswell is at least a year away...
If you want to upgrade now, IB probably makes the most sense since you said you're you're not looking to OC all that much. Early returns are not very favorable when it comes to OCing IB, but at stock/mild overclock, it beats SB. Not by leaps and bounds, but it is better. Overall, a Z77 mobo with either chip is the way to go for what you want.
I kind of agree with the poster above though, you're not going to see all that much of an improvement over what you currently have. Upgrading your GPU will probably give you the most noticeable results. Both IB and SB will be an upgrade over a 920, but whether or not the performance is worth the cost is the question. I personally don't think it is. YMMV...

Do you have any GPU in mind? If I do get a new GPU should I get one compatible with PCI E 3.0? (are those backwards compatible with 2.1?) Thank you for the feedback Lou3824
Iconix
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 In... GeForce GTX 295 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Asus BR-04B2T Stock air Windows Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung LN40B500 40" 1080p LCD HDTV Logitech G15 Kingwin ABT-1220MA1S Xclio 777COLOR Super Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G700 Func 1030 Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic Logitech Z-5500 
  hide details  
Reply
Iconix
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 In... GeForce GTX 295 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Asus BR-04B2T Stock air Windows Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung LN40B500 40" 1080p LCD HDTV Logitech G15 Kingwin ABT-1220MA1S Xclio 777COLOR Super Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G700 Func 1030 Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic Logitech Z-5500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Upgrading my current rig (see signature) IB or SB?