Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › First decent gaming build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First decent gaming build - Page 4

post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHoboLord View Post

Well the I'm getting my info on newegg and I'm not misreading anything.

You're not even looking at the correct products. doh.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

And you're completely missing the point. "125% of the price" as you said only really adds up to $20 real world dollars. Skimping on a price difference that small for less warranty would be foolish. And you keep saying the Rosewill psu/Gskill RAM/Caviar blue are all as you simply put it, 'better', than what he originally listed. There are no hard facts to back up what you're saying. There are, however, real world benchmarks that place what he's got listed over what you listed.

The point is, cheaper doesn't automatically mean better.

Here's what he originally posted:
Quote:
For now I just want something that provides room for upgrade in the future such as adding an SSD, another video card, ect but also gives me some room for modest overclocking for now.

His list of parts is great for exactly that, besides a few minor recommended changes such as different brand products etc. There is no need to go around changing his entire proposed build and replacing certain components with cheaper ones just to get a beefier video card. Your video card isn't all that matters. A GTX 570 is completely fine for gaming and overclocking, and provides excellent support for future SLI.

This should be end of discussion; I'm sure by now the guy has made his decision so there's no point in continuing this and I'm tired of having to explain the same thing over and over again.
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Prophet View Post

You're not even looking at the correct products. doh.gif
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021
And you're completely missing the point. "125% of the price" as you said only really adds up to $20 real world dollars. Skimping on a price difference that small for less warranty would be foolish. And you keep saying the Rosewill psu/Gskill RAM/Caviar blue are all as you simply put it, 'better', than what he originally listed. There are no hard facts to back up what you're saying. There are, however, real world benchmarks that place what he's got listed over what you listed.
The point is, cheaper doesn't automatically mean better.
Here's what he originally posted:
His list of parts is great for exactly that, besides a few minor recommended changes such as different brand products etc. There is no need to go around changing his entire proposed build and replacing certain components with cheaper ones just to get a beefier video card. Your video card isn't all that matters. A GTX 570 is completely fine for gaming and overclocking, and provides excellent support for future SLI.
This should be end of discussion; I'm sure by now the guy has made his decision so there's no point in continuing this and I'm tired of having to explain the same thing over and over again.

Well here's some reviews for everything if they are difficult to find:
CPU: 2500k vs 2550k
GPU: 570 vs 7950
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 vs ASUS P8Z77-V pro( there actually are no reviews on the regular one)
RAM: G.Skill 8GB (4GB x 2) vs Corsair Vengeance 8GB (4GB x 2)
PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750W vs Corsair TX750M 750W
HDD: WD Caviar Black vs WD Caviar Blue
Case: CM Trooper Advanced vs NZXT Phantom vs NZXT Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by starks View Post

Let me know if you see any areas of improvement or if anything here will cause me problems in the future or if there is anywhere to save a few dollars. I know the DirectCU II card takes up a lot of room but I have heard that it is extremely quiet and is really easy to OC.
Thanks

I dont know if you skipped over these lines or didn't account for them but I'm just trying to help this guy save a few bucks and get even better performance which is what ha said he wants. If he decides he doesn't want to save a few dollars then fine. We're all just trying to help.
post #33 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHoboLord View Post

I dont know if you skipped over these lines or didn't account for them but I'm just trying to help this guy save a few bucks and get even better performance which is what ha said he wants. If he decides he doesn't want to save a few dollars then fine. We're all just trying to help.

You didn't really improve on anything. If he wants to spend the extra hundred dollars on a 7950, I'm sure he can do so without sacrificing the quality of the rest of his entire build.
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Prophet View Post

You didn't really improve on anything. If he wants to spend the extra hundred dollars on a 7950, I'm sure he can do so without sacrificing the quality of the rest of his entire build.

Well it seems like you don't know how to click on reviews even so no point even discussing it anymore. kookoo.gif
post #35 of 66
Go with new-gen GPUs if you can. Less power draw, which means you don't need as high of a wattage of a power supply.

Overall, your build is solid. Not bad at all.
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHoboLord View Post

Well it seems like you don't know how to click on reviews even so no point even discussing it anymore. kookoo.gif

I read those reviews. All they showed me was you managed to find reviews/links for the wrong products, again. lol

Honestly man, you can't sit here and debate with me when you can't even distinguish two hard drives from one another.

I'll put it simply...you only posted one review for each product...if the buyer really wants to compare something he'll look at a wide range of reviews from more than one review website. None of the links you posted were really a 'versus' besides the chart comparisons of the CPUs and GPUs. You really need to educate yourself on products a little more before you recommend them to people and argue about them with others. If you read a whole bunch of reviews on a product you get a consensus feeling about it from the pros...then you do the same for the other product, then you compare the result.

Result in this case is that at their particular price points, the Corsair Vengeance 8GB and the TX750 are both more widely recommended and awarded than your compared products, and the Caviar Black is faster than the Blue, and more recommended for heavier usage. I mean all you have to do is Google "'product name' review" and read a bunch of them. I'm not going to post links for you here because you can do it yourself like I did.

I really hope you do realize you have to read multiple reviews to get the big picture of how good a product is. And it seems like you're falling back too much on website's opinions on products when you should also be factoring in personal experience (if any) and general user experiences (takes a lot of reading and time, and experience reading up on problem threads on sites, user reviews, etc).

Since you quoted my post and didn't really respond to what I said, I'll just show it to you again:
Quote:
"125% of the price" as you said only really adds up to $20 real world dollars. Skimping on a price difference that small for less warranty would be foolish. And you keep saying the Rosewill psu/Gskill RAM/Caviar blue are all as you simply put it, 'better', than what he originally listed. There are no hard facts to back up what you're saying. There are, however, real world benchmarks that place what he's got listed over what you listed.
The point is, cheaper doesn't automatically mean better.

Again, I'm explaining things over and over again this is just pointless, arguing with someone who I'm replying to but isn't reading with the intention of learning anything...and doesn't seem to know how to say anything except "I'm right and you're wrong"..........goodbye. If you goad me into posting more I'll just be ignoring you/reporting for off-topic spam...and possibly for trolling. Still not really sure if you're trolling or not.
Edited by Lost Prophet - 4/16/12 at 10:56pm
post #37 of 66
lol will you stop the "spend more, it's better" sort of thing? because it is completely false. The OP said in his OP he wanted to reduce or save money. Simple as that. So if he wants to save money and use the saved money on a better graphics card, they might as well do that. if not, they can stick with the original GPU and just pocket the money saved from buying quality products for less.
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517 View Post

lol will you stop the "spend more, it's better" sort of thing? because it is completely false. The OP said in his OP he wanted to reduce or save money. Simple as that. So if he wants to save money and use the saved money on a better graphics card, they might as well do that. if not, they can stick with the original GPU and just pocket the money saved from buying quality products for less.

There is an extremely minimal price difference in those two builds in question. Its not hundreds of dollars we're discussing here. I'm talking about spending $20 more for much better warranty and service support, and a faster hard drive. If you can explain to me how that is 'false', you're welcome to try.
post #39 of 66
There is minimal price difference but the gaming performance increase is huge. ~20% FPS increase

In the other proposed build you save $30 from the CPU, $60 from the mobo, $40 on a HDD (slight decrease in performance). that is $130 saved and can be spend on a better GPU. In reality, 570s are a terrible buy right now (I just sold mine), the prices are about to drop even more when the 670s come out.

The fact that you are saying that he should spend more money and get less of a system is terrible advice, he might as well go buy an Alienware. doh.gif
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517 View Post

In reality, 570s are a terrible buy right now (I just sold mine), the prices are about to drop even more when the 670s come out.
The fact that you are saying that he should spend more money and get less of a system is terrible advice, he might as well go buy an Alienware. doh.gif

How is a 570 a terrible buy? It offers more than good performance in intensive gaming and offers support for SLI in the future like he wanted.

Obviously if you have paid attention to anything I've said you would realize I'm not saying spending more automatically means better parts. I'm saying spending only $20 more in this case will gain him the advantage of better warranty support and a faster hard drive. Not even talking about ANY of the other parts. Once again, you failed to read a few simple sentences...and I'm pretty sure you ignored what I said earlier too in response to you:
Quote:
Flawed logic? Read what I said in context. "a lot of the parts he has listed are of better quality if more expensive."

Emphasis on the word 'if'. Meaning: the parts he listed are of better quality, although they are more expensive than the other parts recommended.

Not meaning: If they're more expensive, they are better quality. If I had meant that, I would have worded it exactly that way.

Was that so hard to understand?

Not sure if you're trolling too, since you seem to be bent on repeating the same thing over and over without listening to any logic. Seems like you misread one sentence and now you're too stubborn to admit it. It's simple reading comprehension.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › First decent gaming build