Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Home Audio › Looking for a subwoofer recomendation please!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a subwoofer recomendation please! - Page 3

post #21 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

You keep mentioning quality but you're not going to find top notch gear for 300 bucks, much less 100 bucks. What you will find is good quality stuff with compromises. It comes down to basics imo, want more thump get a 12incher, want more tight bass control, get a 10incher. If you're pairing with some dinky bookshelfs, 12's will have a harder time running higher freq bass to mate with bookshelfs, etc...

Well I wouldn't really call 163's that dinky personally... but I mean I am incompetent compared to most audiophiles. I understand I won't find something that rocks the foundation of the house I'm in, I even mentioned that quality was the important aspect I'm looking for. So I appreciate the not so constructive criticism, and will take away from your post to go with a smaller driver for tighter bass.
post #22 of 38
I have this http://www.amazon.com/Energy-S-10-3-800-Watt-10-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B001C3GQP2
its awesome, and you can find them for 250 sometimes
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hairy_Yak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

You keep mentioning quality but you're not going to find top notch gear for 300 bucks, much less 100 bucks. What you will find is good quality stuff with compromises. It comes down to basics imo, want more thump get a 12incher, want more tight bass control, get a 10incher. If you're pairing with some dinky bookshelfs, 12's will have a harder time running higher freq bass to mate with bookshelfs, etc...

Well I wouldn't really call 163's that dinky personally... but I mean I am incompetent compared to most audiophiles. I understand I won't find something that rocks the foundation of the house I'm in, I even mentioned that quality was the important aspect I'm looking for. So I appreciate the not so constructive criticism, and will take away from your post to go with a smaller driver for tighter bass.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1364182

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-c View Post

I have this http://www.amazon.com/Energy-S-10-3-800-Watt-10-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B001C3GQP2
its awesome, and you can find them for 250 sometimes

Solid sub choice. It's 270 at newegg and I've seen it as low as 220. Heck the EW100 is decent too and that one used to go for 130.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 38
I would look into ebay and such.
You can just get much better if you look for second hand stuff.


Something like this maybe.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-W-ASW-1000-Subwoofer-Bowers-Wilkins-Great-shape-POUNDS-Huge-UNIT-/221001783094?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item3374bb9736


Still i would go for Dynacords, Lab gruppen, Stage Accompany, Electro Voice, Mackie and so on.
Pro Audio just cant be compared to Hi-Fi [home audio]
I even seen an E.V T18 sub for just 199$ !!!
[Need a big good amp for it though]
Black storm
(32 items)
 
 
HomeServer
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-4790K @ 4751mhz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming  HD4890 - HD5870 - HD6950 - HD7850x2 - HD7950x2... 8800GTS - GTS450 - GTX650ti Boost - GTX670 - GT... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB 2400mhz CL9 Ripjaws Samsung 951 NVME 256GB 250GB SSD Samsung 840 Seagate 7200rpm 3TB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Copper MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 120mm rad. MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 240mm rad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Lamptron FC5 V2 fan-controller AlphaCool VP655 Pump + Plexi Top EK Spin Bay resevoir 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon's 1450rpm 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
6x Enermax Cluster White 1200rpm Windows 10 Iiyama Prolite E2773HDS 27inch - 47inch LG TV Corsair K60 - Razor BlackWidow Stealth - Logite... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000i Corsair AIR540 Logitech G502 Corepad xxxl 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Musical Fidelity V-Dac II Reloop Direct Drive Turntable with Ortofon Conc... 2x Adam A5X Studio Monitors BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Audioquest Nighthawk Lehmann Audio Linear Headphone Amp Sennheiser HD650 Musical Fidelity V-PSU 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD E-350 Asus E35M1-M 4GB DDR3 Kingston 1333mhz  1,5TB wester digital green 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
640GB WD Caviar blue 500GB Samsung Spinpoint Samsung Dvd-rewriter windows xp sp2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
19inch phillips tft generic Bequiet 300Watt Fratal Design Core 
MouseMouse Pad
microsoft none 
  hide details  
Reply
Black storm
(32 items)
 
 
HomeServer
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-4790K @ 4751mhz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming  HD4890 - HD5870 - HD6950 - HD7850x2 - HD7950x2... 8800GTS - GTS450 - GTX650ti Boost - GTX670 - GT... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB 2400mhz CL9 Ripjaws Samsung 951 NVME 256GB 250GB SSD Samsung 840 Seagate 7200rpm 3TB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Copper MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 120mm rad. MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 240mm rad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Lamptron FC5 V2 fan-controller AlphaCool VP655 Pump + Plexi Top EK Spin Bay resevoir 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon's 1450rpm 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
6x Enermax Cluster White 1200rpm Windows 10 Iiyama Prolite E2773HDS 27inch - 47inch LG TV Corsair K60 - Razor BlackWidow Stealth - Logite... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000i Corsair AIR540 Logitech G502 Corepad xxxl 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Musical Fidelity V-Dac II Reloop Direct Drive Turntable with Ortofon Conc... 2x Adam A5X Studio Monitors BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Audioquest Nighthawk Lehmann Audio Linear Headphone Amp Sennheiser HD650 Musical Fidelity V-PSU 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD E-350 Asus E35M1-M 4GB DDR3 Kingston 1333mhz  1,5TB wester digital green 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
640GB WD Caviar blue 500GB Samsung Spinpoint Samsung Dvd-rewriter windows xp sp2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
19inch phillips tft generic Bequiet 300Watt Fratal Design Core 
MouseMouse Pad
microsoft none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farih View Post

I would look into ebay and such.
You can just get much better if you look for second hand stuff.
Something like this maybe.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-W-ASW-1000-Subwoofer-Bowers-Wilkins-Great-shape-POUNDS-Huge-UNIT-/221001783094?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item3374bb9736
Still i would go for Dynacords, Lab gruppen, Stage Accompany, Electro Voice, Mackie and so on.
Pro Audio just cant be compared to Hi-Fi [home audio]
I even seen an E.V T18 sub for just 199$ !!!
[Need a big good amp for it though]

So a PA would produce a much cleaner and accurate bass for music? I'm really not pressed on time as I do not live in an environment where a sub will be utilized yet. So I'd love to get as much information as possible if you have a external source of information, though I do appreciate your direct help!

A PA for bass in my system does seem pretty rock'n though. As long as the cabinet wasn't to massive I would gladly take one.
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hairy_Yak View Post

So a PA would produce a much cleaner and accurate bass for music? I'm really not pressed on time as I do not live in an environment where a sub will be utilized yet. So I'd love to get as much information as possible if you have a external source of information, though I do appreciate your direct help!
A PA for bass in my system does seem pretty rock'n though. As long as the cabinet wasn't to massive I would gladly take one.

To have P.A sound clean and acurate you really need to invest alot, Lab Gruppen is very good but also to expensive for me.
Dont forget that a good 400W P.A sub is ALOT louder then a 400W Hi-Fi sub.

Hi-Fi is more practical alot of the times and come's with lower price rates.

Go to a professional music store and listen to a P.A sub yourself to judge.

I got a Harmon Kardon set in the living room for movies/TV but a rather big P.A set in the bedroom for music.
Black storm
(32 items)
 
 
HomeServer
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-4790K @ 4751mhz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming  HD4890 - HD5870 - HD6950 - HD7850x2 - HD7950x2... 8800GTS - GTS450 - GTX650ti Boost - GTX670 - GT... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB 2400mhz CL9 Ripjaws Samsung 951 NVME 256GB 250GB SSD Samsung 840 Seagate 7200rpm 3TB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Copper MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 120mm rad. MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 240mm rad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Lamptron FC5 V2 fan-controller AlphaCool VP655 Pump + Plexi Top EK Spin Bay resevoir 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon's 1450rpm 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
6x Enermax Cluster White 1200rpm Windows 10 Iiyama Prolite E2773HDS 27inch - 47inch LG TV Corsair K60 - Razor BlackWidow Stealth - Logite... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000i Corsair AIR540 Logitech G502 Corepad xxxl 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Musical Fidelity V-Dac II Reloop Direct Drive Turntable with Ortofon Conc... 2x Adam A5X Studio Monitors BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Audioquest Nighthawk Lehmann Audio Linear Headphone Amp Sennheiser HD650 Musical Fidelity V-PSU 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD E-350 Asus E35M1-M 4GB DDR3 Kingston 1333mhz  1,5TB wester digital green 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
640GB WD Caviar blue 500GB Samsung Spinpoint Samsung Dvd-rewriter windows xp sp2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
19inch phillips tft generic Bequiet 300Watt Fratal Design Core 
MouseMouse Pad
microsoft none 
  hide details  
Reply
Black storm
(32 items)
 
 
HomeServer
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-4790K @ 4751mhz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming  HD4890 - HD5870 - HD6950 - HD7850x2 - HD7950x2... 8800GTS - GTS450 - GTX650ti Boost - GTX670 - GT... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB 2400mhz CL9 Ripjaws Samsung 951 NVME 256GB 250GB SSD Samsung 840 Seagate 7200rpm 3TB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Copper MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 120mm rad. MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 240mm rad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Lamptron FC5 V2 fan-controller AlphaCool VP655 Pump + Plexi Top EK Spin Bay resevoir 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon's 1450rpm 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
6x Enermax Cluster White 1200rpm Windows 10 Iiyama Prolite E2773HDS 27inch - 47inch LG TV Corsair K60 - Razor BlackWidow Stealth - Logite... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000i Corsair AIR540 Logitech G502 Corepad xxxl 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Musical Fidelity V-Dac II Reloop Direct Drive Turntable with Ortofon Conc... 2x Adam A5X Studio Monitors BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Audioquest Nighthawk Lehmann Audio Linear Headphone Amp Sennheiser HD650 Musical Fidelity V-PSU 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD E-350 Asus E35M1-M 4GB DDR3 Kingston 1333mhz  1,5TB wester digital green 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
640GB WD Caviar blue 500GB Samsung Spinpoint Samsung Dvd-rewriter windows xp sp2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
19inch phillips tft generic Bequiet 300Watt Fratal Design Core 
MouseMouse Pad
microsoft none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farih View Post

To have P.A sound clean and acurate you really need to invest alot, Lab Gruppen is very good but also to expensive for me.
Dont forget that a good 400W P.A sub is ALOT louder then a 400W Hi-Fi sub.
Hi-Fi is more practical alot of the times and come's with lower price rates.
Go to a professional music store and listen to a P.A sub yourself to judge.
I got a Harmon Kardon set in the living room for movies/TV but a rather big P.A set in the bedroom for music.

Basically my goal is to get bass that "matches" my 163's without spending all THAT much, but I would be willing to fork over what is necessary. I didn't buy nice bookshelves so that I could muddy it up with a crap sub. Obviously I won't be throwing a massive party with my bookshelves, so I also don't need or want a massive sub that is sufficient for such haha. And when it comes down to power vs clarity, the more accurate sub will always take the cake in my situation. So with that information what would your suggested product be? Sorry if this is ring around the rosie haha + invisible awesomeness mod rep btw tongue.gif
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hairy_Yak View Post

Basically my goal is to get bass that "matches" my 163's without spending all THAT much, but I would be willing to fork over what is necessary. I didn't buy nice bookshelves so that I could muddy it up with a crap sub. Obviously I won't be throwing a massive party with my bookshelves, so I also don't need or want a massive sub that is sufficient for such haha. And when it comes down to power vs clarity, the more accurate sub will always take the cake in my situation. So with that information what would your suggested product be? Sorry if this is ring around the rosie haha + invisible awesomeness mod rep btw tongue.gif

Probably what most have sayed here will suit you best.

I would look around at ebay and such though, you might get more for your money then buying new.

This one i thought looks interessting.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-W-ASW-1000-Subwoofer-Bowers-Wilkins-Great-shape-POUNDS-Huge-UNIT-/221001783094?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item3374bb9736

This one is really good and VERY expensive when bought new.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-K-MX-125-II-Powered-Subwoofer-With-Grill-Miller-Kreisel-MX-125-II-MK-Sound-/140739815063?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item20c4bf2697

A cheaper option here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowers-Wilkins-B-W-ASW600-BLACK-10-Active-Power-Subwoofer-Auth-Dealer-/170825996861?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item27c605da3d

In other words, just have a look around..
Black storm
(32 items)
 
 
HomeServer
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-4790K @ 4751mhz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming  HD4890 - HD5870 - HD6950 - HD7850x2 - HD7950x2... 8800GTS - GTS450 - GTX650ti Boost - GTX670 - GT... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB 2400mhz CL9 Ripjaws Samsung 951 NVME 256GB 250GB SSD Samsung 840 Seagate 7200rpm 3TB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Copper MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 120mm rad. MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 240mm rad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Lamptron FC5 V2 fan-controller AlphaCool VP655 Pump + Plexi Top EK Spin Bay resevoir 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon's 1450rpm 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
6x Enermax Cluster White 1200rpm Windows 10 Iiyama Prolite E2773HDS 27inch - 47inch LG TV Corsair K60 - Razor BlackWidow Stealth - Logite... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000i Corsair AIR540 Logitech G502 Corepad xxxl 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Musical Fidelity V-Dac II Reloop Direct Drive Turntable with Ortofon Conc... 2x Adam A5X Studio Monitors BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Audioquest Nighthawk Lehmann Audio Linear Headphone Amp Sennheiser HD650 Musical Fidelity V-PSU 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD E-350 Asus E35M1-M 4GB DDR3 Kingston 1333mhz  1,5TB wester digital green 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
640GB WD Caviar blue 500GB Samsung Spinpoint Samsung Dvd-rewriter windows xp sp2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
19inch phillips tft generic Bequiet 300Watt Fratal Design Core 
MouseMouse Pad
microsoft none 
  hide details  
Reply
Black storm
(32 items)
 
 
HomeServer
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-4790K @ 4751mhz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming  HD4890 - HD5870 - HD6950 - HD7850x2 - HD7950x2... 8800GTS - GTS450 - GTX650ti Boost - GTX670 - GT... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB 2400mhz CL9 Ripjaws Samsung 951 NVME 256GB 250GB SSD Samsung 840 Seagate 7200rpm 3TB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Copper MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 120mm rad. MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 240mm rad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Lamptron FC5 V2 fan-controller AlphaCool VP655 Pump + Plexi Top EK Spin Bay resevoir 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon's 1450rpm 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
6x Enermax Cluster White 1200rpm Windows 10 Iiyama Prolite E2773HDS 27inch - 47inch LG TV Corsair K60 - Razor BlackWidow Stealth - Logite... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000i Corsair AIR540 Logitech G502 Corepad xxxl 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Musical Fidelity V-Dac II Reloop Direct Drive Turntable with Ortofon Conc... 2x Adam A5X Studio Monitors BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Audioquest Nighthawk Lehmann Audio Linear Headphone Amp Sennheiser HD650 Musical Fidelity V-PSU 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD E-350 Asus E35M1-M 4GB DDR3 Kingston 1333mhz  1,5TB wester digital green 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
640GB WD Caviar blue 500GB Samsung Spinpoint Samsung Dvd-rewriter windows xp sp2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
19inch phillips tft generic Bequiet 300Watt Fratal Design Core 
MouseMouse Pad
microsoft none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 38
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Northridge-E150P-Subwoofer-Amplifier/dp/B00011ME9I

Decent sub around your price range. Like others have already said though, at that price you are really limited as far as quality, and that differs from person to person. You can't go wrong with JBL though as they are the most widely used speaker in theaters, stages, and live performances in the world.
The Rookie
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.4 GHz ASUS Sabertooth P67 MSI TFIII 6950->6970 @ 920/1400 8G Corsair Vengence 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB Zalman 9900 Win 7 64bit LG 24" 1920X1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Elite Cooler Master GX650 CM Storm Scout Razer Naga 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Destructor Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Asus Xonar D1 
  hide details  
Reply
The Rookie
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.4 GHz ASUS Sabertooth P67 MSI TFIII 6950->6970 @ 920/1400 8G Corsair Vengence 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB Zalman 9900 Win 7 64bit LG 24" 1920X1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Elite Cooler Master GX650 CM Storm Scout Razer Naga 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Destructor Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Asus Xonar D1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 38
Thread Starter 
Hmm... What about amps? Do y'all have a good place to pick up a dual channel amp that outputs 150w at 8 ohms? After a bit of pondering I think the best way to go is troll Craigslist for a while trying to find a great deal on a sub until I get my infinity 163's properly amp'd as right now they are only being fed 80w. Kind of a waste imo.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Home Audio › Looking for a subwoofer recomendation please!