Ok. The test for today was to see if the volume, or amount, of dye that you put into the dye bath impacted results. So far, I've been holding that variable constant, and using about 3 tsp of dye in my 4 quart dye bath. This time, I created two different dye baths, and in the first I used just 2 tsp of dye, and in the second I used 6 tsp of dye. I also wanted to do a little bit of testing with a room temperature dye bath for some heat shirnk. Lets get on to the pictures, because you've seen all the setup before.
First, I like to show you the 4 pieces of sleeve altogether, and # them so we can do some comparison shots. From left to right, we have:
1) 2 tsp dye; 45 minutes of simmering
2) 2 tsp dye; 45 minutes of simmering and then 2 additional hours with no heat
3) 6 tsp dye; 45 minutes of simmering
4) 6 tsp dye; 45 minutes of simmering and then 2 additional hours with no heat
It is clear right away that the 2 that have have more dye in the bath turned a darker color. Some comparisons:
This one below is #1 and #3....with the only difference being the one on the right (#3) has more dye in the bath
This one below is #2 and #4....with the only difference being the one on the right (#4) has more dye in the bath
So what can we glean from the volume of dye test? Well the dye bath that had more dye in it obviously got darker. Seems like a no brainer really. The other thing I see is that the dye bath that had more dye in it got more purple. I attribute this to the fact that the lilac dye takes to the sleeve much easier than the scarlet dye, and when I basically just double the mix I had been using, this weights it more heavily towards the lilac. Will need to adjust for that when I do my final bath.
Now....lets look at some comparisons of #1 and #2, with the only difference being that the one on the right soaked an additional 2 hours after I turned the heat off. I took my girlfriend to see MIB3 while they soaked, and I can highly recommend that movies. Anyway....
And here is #3 and #4, with the only difference being that the one on the right soaked an additional 2 hours after I turned the heat off.
Although the one on the right is a TINY bit darker in each of the pictures above....the difference is very slight. This confirms the failure I had in my previous post where I tried the process without any heat at all, and it didn't work. The sleeve does not take the dye well without heat. In some previous tests we had also prove that there is a point where the sleeve has taken all the dye its going to take. I think this is pointing us toward an approximate dye time of somewhere between 45 and 60 minutes, with heat applied the entire time.
Now on to some really fun stuff. When I got back from MIB3, I had these two dye baths that were completely cool. I decided to throw two pieces of precut heatshrink in each of them, and just let them soak overnight. The heatshrink is not plastic, and therefore might be able to absorb some dye even when its not hot. And if I used a hot dye bath, it might go ahead and make the shrink react. Woke up the next morning to check on the shrink, and had great results! Here is the 2 tsp dye bath with the shrink:
Here is the 6 tsp dye bath with the shrink:
What you should be seeing in these pictures is that the heatshrink matches the sleeve EXACTLY! And....it has not reacted at all yet. It did not constrict and feels the same that it did before the dye bath. Here is a shot of both together:
Well, I got a little over excited and geeked out a little bit, and went and grabbed some of my sleeving/wiring tools. I wanted to test and make sure the heatshrink would still work the same:
Cut a short piece of wire:
Crimped a pin on both ends:
Put some shrink on, grabbed a lighter, .....and it worked!
And here are a couple of final shots of it:
So I'm more excited than I should be....but now I'm planning on dyeing some heatshrink for my current build also. Build log link in signature. This proves that whatever crazy color you come up with for your build, you can dye your sleeve, connectors, tubing and heatshrink to match it. That's pretty cool.
Have another test coming up where I use no dye carrier at all, and then I'm just about out of variables to adjust for these tests. At that point, I'll summarize all I've learned into a short guide. If you are getting a crazy idea to dye some stuff, throw some rep my way. Want to be able to trade on this site!