Another day of dyeing!
Here is what the setup looked like for today. First we have 3 different colors of dye:
Each bottle of dye was halved, and each half was put into one of these two pots:
You can see the vinegar sitting there also. From previous dye bath test, I learned that adding vinegar definitely impacts the amount of dye that the sleeving accepts...but it also seemed to turn the color a strange shade of brown. As you'll remember, I had dumped an obnoxious amount of vinegar into the dye bath. For this test, I'm going to use smaller amounts, and different quantities of vinegar in the two pots. For the pot on the left, I used about 4 quarts of water, and 1/3 cup of vinegar. For the pot on the right, I used 4 quarters of water, and 1 full cup of vinegar. You will recall I had used a full 3 cups of vinegar in the previous test which browned the sleeving.
I also decided to use 4 sleeve lengths in each pot, to test the color at different time intervals in each pot. So lets skip to the pictures, and I'll summarize at the end of the post what I think it taught me. This first shot is just a full family shot of each of the 4 sleeve lengths, from both pots, along with an undyed sleeve for comparison. I'm going to refer to the different samples by the following numbers in the remainder of the post: From left to right:
0 - Undyed control sample
1.1 - 1/3 cup vinegar; 30 minutes
1.2 - 1/3 cup vinegar; 1 hour
1.3 - 1/3 cup vinegar; 2 hours
1.4 - 1/3 cup vinegar; 3 hours
2.1 - 1 cup vinegar; 30 minutes
2.2 - 1 cup vinegar; 1 hour
2.3 - 1 cup vinegar, 2 hours
2.4 - 1 cup vinegar, 3 hours
Close up of, from left to right, 0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 (the 1/3 cup vinegar family)
Close up of, from left to right, 0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 (the 1 cup vinegar family)
Next are a series of shots comparing the 1/3 vs 1 cup of vinegar for each time period
Below is 1.1 vs 2.1 (30 minutes)
Below is 1.2 vs 2.2 (1 hour)
Below is 1.3 vs 2.3 (2 hours)
Below is 1.4 vs 2.4 (3 hours)
So here is what I think you should see from the pictures, and what it means. Clearly the longer the sleeve is left in the dye bath, the more dye it is accepting. The sleeves get a little darker for each additional hour they are in the dye bath. i.e., 1.1 is lighter than 1.2, which is lighter than 1.3, etc.
The other interesting thing is the 1/3 cup vs 1 cup of vinegar. You can see in all of the comparison shots, that the sleeve that was in the 1 cup of vinegar (the sleeve on the right each time) is a little bit darker....and more brown tinted, than the sleeve on the left (1/3 cup vinegar). The vinegar is helping the sleeve absorb more dye, but it is also tinting the color with a brown hue.
Now that's all good info to know....but it still doesn't solve my problem. The colors I'm getting, while pretty in their own right, are no where close to the color I'm trying to get. The FTW sleeve is just not accepting the real colors in the Rit dye. So here is what I'm planning on doing next. First, I'm going to test a similar dye process on the MDPC-X sleeving, to see if it comes out any differently. I got my MDPC-X in the mail this weekend, and I can tell you that it doesn't have the same glossy sheen that the FTW sleeving has. Perhaps its a little different type of plastic, or something different for a coating. Anyway, it will be easy and quick to see if it accepts dye any differently. Secondly, I'm going to test both FTW and MDPC-X with a different type of dye. Been doing some more reading/research, and I have some ideas on why the coloring is not working real well with the Rit dyes. Stay tuned for more! Sub and rep please!Edited by cpachris - 4/27/12 at 10:13pm