Monday means...another dye bath!
Main purpose of this test is to confirm what I think I learned from the last test, and to extend the testing to paracord. In the last test, I dyed MDPC-X sleeve for the first time, and it proved to accept dye much better than the FTW sleeve I had done all previous tests with. We'll see if that holds true again, or if it was a fluke. Also in the last test, I learned how to spot the difference between 'old formula' Rit dye, and 'new formula' Rit dye. The 'old formula' is supposed to work much better on certain plastics, and it seemed to do so in the last test. We'll see if we can repeat those results.
Ok. I scoured the stores and found some 'old formula' liquid Rit dye in a lovely wine color:
How do I know its the 'old formula'? Because when you look on the cap you don't get the 'ND' designation stamped on it.
As a reminder, you can also derive from the numbers on the cap, that this batch was made on the 335th day of '09. Just a little tidbit for you.
I also was able to find some boxes of powder Rit in the 'Denim Blue' color, which was also the 'old formula':
How did I know it was 'old formula'? I opened the boxes while in the store and looked at the paper packets on the inside. No 'ND' stamp, means this is the old formula.
For those of you wincing at the thought of me opening up box after box of dye in the store, ....don't worry. The outside boxes don't have any glue or seal on them, so they are easy to open and check without destroying the box.
For the dye baths, I got two of them going at the same time. In both, I used 4 quarts of water, 1/2 cup vinegar, 2 tbs salt, and the dye. In one I used two packets of the powder Denim Blue, and in the other, one bottle of the liquid Wine. As a reminder, one bottle of liquid is equal to two boxes of powder. Here is a shot of my two dye baths:
After bringing the dye baths to a boil, in each of the pots I put 3 lengths of sleeving. One FTW, one MDPC-X, and one paracord.
From prior results, I knew the paracord takes the dye very quickly, and if you leave it in too long it becomes very dark. So, I simmered the sleeves in their respective dye baths for 5 minutes for the paracord, and 1 hour for the FTW and MDPC-X. I know. I know. Enough of setting it up already. Lets get on to the pictures and results. Here are the sleeves from the Wine dye bath. From left to right: 1) FTW, 2) MDPC-X, and 3) paracord:
Similar to the last test, its clear that the MDPC-X sleeve accepts the dye much more readily than the FTW sleeve. Additionally, the paracord accepted a lot of dye very quickly in the 5 minutes it was in the dye bath. The color came out much more of a violet than a wine for both the FTW and the MDPC-X. The paracord was the closest in tint to what the dye was supposed to reproduce, but was actually too dark after even 5 minutes. Here is a shot of all 3 with the dye bottle so you can compare color with the intended results (top - FTW, middle - MDPC-X, bottom - paracord):
On to the Denim Blue. Here are the sleeves from the Denim Blue dye bath. From left to right: 1) FTW, 2) MDPC-X, and 3) paracord:
Again, it is clear that the MDPC-X sleeve accepts the dye much more readily than the FTW sleeve, and the paracord accepted even more. For the colors, both of the plastic sleeves (FTW and MDPC-X) came out more grey than blue, while the paracord had more of blue tint than eiher plastic sleeve. Here is a shot of all 3 with the dye packages so you can compare color with the intended results (top - FTW, middle - MDPC-X, bottom - paracord):
So both of these dye baths confirmed prior results. MDPC-X accepts dye better than FTW. Paracord accepts dye so quickly that even 5 minutes may be too long. I was, however, a little disappointed in the tint of color that I got from both dye baths. I think that the next big step is going to be using a true 'dispersion' dye, which is intended to be used with plastics. I have some ordered, which will be here on Wednesday. Anxious to try a few colors with that, and then start back at mixing colors to try and achieve the original crimson color I started out trying to get with this thread.
Now, most importantly, I close with what has become almost obligatory in a lot of the build logs here on OCN. A shot of my dogs. Meet Taylor and Tebow:
Named by my kids....so you can probably guess the origin of the names.
The dispersion dye stuff is going to be fun, and I think will prove interesting. Hope you'll stay tuned and sub the thread for updates. If you smiled when you saw the dogs, you owe me a 'rep+'.