3 more dye bath tests with pictures!
Ok. I'm not going to bore you more than I have already with the pictures of the dye, and the pot and the vinegar, etc., for each of these 3 tests. You've seen those kind of pics before. Just know that for all 3 of these tests, I used my normal 4 quarts of water, 2 tbs dye carrier, little more than 1/2 cup vinegar, and about 3 tsp of the disperse dye. Simmered for 45 minutes. The thing that was different in each dye bath was the mixture of the different colors of dye used in each one.
I'm also going to describe my 3 color mixtures here in one location, and simply refer to them by Mix #1, Mix #2, and Mix #3 for the rest of the thread.
Mix #1 - 2 tsp scarlet; 1 tsp red
Mix #2 - 2 tsp scarlet; 1 tsp red; 1/8 tsp lilac
Mix #3 - 2 tsp scarlet; 1/2 tsp red; 1/16 tsp lilac
From the last dye bath post, you can see the as-is colors of the scarlet, red and lilac that I'm mixing in this post. Lets get on to the result pictures.
Here is Mix #1, in the following order: FTW, MDPC-X, and Paracord:
That strip below the 3 sleeve lengths is a sample of the Prismatic Powder
I've selected for my new powder coated Caselabs TH10. Its been ordered, and yes, I'm excited. Build log will be starting soon, and I'll post a link to the build log in this thread after I've started. Anyway, this Mix #1 came out almost like a true red, with the slightest tinge of pink. You'll remember from previous post that the red dye comes out very pink on the sleeves. These are clearly too bright red, and don't have enough purple to make it a crimson color. So....I added some lilac for Mix #2.
Here is Mix #2, in the same order: FTW, MDPC-X, and Paracord:
Oooooo....that's getting closer. An improvement for sure. But...it actually has a little TOO much purple in it now. So for mix #3, I decreased the amount of lilac dye, and also decreased the amount of red dye. Since I'm starting to zero in on the color, I also took this next dye bath as an opportunity to see what some other items would look like coming out of the dye bath. KylePDalton had wondered about connectors, so I threw in a male and female molex connector, as well as some clear plastic tubing (this is Tygon tubing
from our friends at Sidewinder Computers
(great service and selection...check them out). ROM3000 had requested to see some results of trying to dye black sleeving instead of white, so I threw a piece of black sleeve in the dye bath also. Ask and ye shall receive!
Here is Mix #3, in the same order: FTW, MDPC-X and Parcord:
Ooooooo.....getting even closer. Not as bright red as Mix #1, and too much purple like Mix #2. Getting close with the tint, but it could stand to be a little bit darker. Got some more tinkering to do, but its almost there. Now, what about that tubing? Glad you asked:
These look freaking amazing! Pictures can't do it justice. It turned the clear tubing a beautiful even crimson color both inside and out. The tube is also now opaque instead of clear. It really is gorgeous. If you don't want to mess with putting dyes in your coolant, this is super easy to do and will allow you to zero in on the exact shade you need. Try it! I left it in the dye bath the same amount of time as the sleeving, and I probably could have taken this out much sooner, and it wouldn't have gotten quite as dark. Will play with this for next test. Now, what about those connectors? Glad you asked:
They look great!
This is a shot to give you some reference point, by showing my color mixes next to some colors you will be familar with. From left to right, we have the following:
1) MDPC-X - Color Mix #1
2) MDPC-X - Color Mix #2
3) MDPC-X - Color Mix #3
4) MDPC-X - Red (Purchased)
5) MDPC-X - Color X (Purchased)
I'll be the first to admit that MDPC-X has lots of beautiful colors to choose from. But you can see in the picture that their red sleeve (4th from left) would clearly have looked out of place in my crimson colored build. And although their color -X is a close match to what I'm trying to do, most sleeve manufacturers don't have multiple 'red' options to choose from. Don't limit yourself to what you can buy....if it doesn't match up with your themed vision for your build.
Now, here is a shot of my Mix #3 items, sitting on top of an OU coaches shirt, so you can see how close I'm getting:
And I'll finish with a shot of the attempt at dyeing black sleeve. As expected, it didn't look great. It did however change the color a little bit...which gives me some ideas about starting with a red to begin with for my tests. Hmmmmmm. Black sleeve in my Mix #3 on the left, Black MDPC-X (purchased...undyed) on the right.Edited by cpachris - 5/6/12 at 1:30pm