So the stock top fan grill is totally not looking like 70-80s era Russian tech. It needs to go.
The hole is prepped for surgery.
This fan grill looks suitable. Although I might go with a hex pattern mesh in the end. I happened to have this speaker mesh laying around.
The nibbler is hungry!
The grate is down.
I'm going to hand file it the rest of the way. Those old fan slots make for an easy way to tell how far to file it down.
There's a clean cut hole.
A little U channel molding and speaker mesh and now this is looking much better.
Everything is just resting in place or held in with tape for now. Once I do the final construction I plan to use gorilla glue to hold the U channel molding in place. I might have to solder the mesh in place though. I've never heard of anyone doing that before. The original grates added a lot to the structure, so I might need to make things a little tougher then normal up top. Especially since the recessed handle will remove even more of the top panel.
I also went ahead and ordered the ASRock Z77E-ITX motherboard. It's the first one that I've seen available, but it also was my first choice from the four announced z77 ITX boards. I was going to wait to see the EVGA board, but I ran out of patience. =( I want to start on the PSU sleeving! Just a side note, I bought this motherboard over the others because of its colors. That's the first time I've ever done that, so I hope it doesn't suck! Also with no CPU or RAM I wont be able to test this motherboard to see if it's DOA. I don't feel like ripping apart my other system for test parts either.