Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › 1921 router for home?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

1921 router for home? - Page 2

post #11 of 28
I didn't explain that well and I was wrong on one thing, shouldn't try to half pay attention in class and post...lol. The isr g2s are technically all branch small office oriented AFAIK. If the router performance guide says 150 you will never ever see that with any configuration. Its not full duplex so that means your looking at 75 there, they test the routers in a particular way which does not really represent real world traffic, the standard here is to again divide by 2 for a number to expect so, ~38 . This is what I was told the routers (ISR G2s) can do with services enabled (kinda vague). Depending on how it is configured I have no doubt its possible to see more or less in terms of performance but that will give you an idea where this fits. You could get the ASA I suppose, look into the config guide and make sure it will do everything you want it to. The ASAs are firewalls that happen to be able to route IMO. The 1900 is the low maybe mid range type of router.

Will you actually continuously have the need for 50 meg worth of traffic to be routed? Is this a burstable number or do you have a SLA?


EDIT: Just realized I was looking at the 1941 instead of the 21. I have slides somewhere at home but it's probably going to be a little less then the 41 but not by a whole lot.

EDIT: Now that I see that other document I do remember there was an update. I guess the 1921 will do it, the last test has it running multiple services with the cpu utilization at 75% @ 68 meg. Not sure what that website is about (anticisco...lol) but that pdf looks familiar. I know people have gotten a little to a lot more then what the routers are rated for by Cisco. I couldn't tell you why that is, the only thing you really have to go on is what the manf says it will do. I always used what they put out as a safe it will definitely do this estimate.
Edited by Mr.N00bLaR - 4/18/12 at 11:54am
5820K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-5820k @ 4.5GHz ASUS X-99/USB 3.1 RX RS 480 8GB 1x8GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 535 120GB Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 ASUS 24inch 1080p60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft natural 4000 Seasonic FP Series SSR-850FX Corsair Air 740 Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
5820K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-5820k @ 4.5GHz ASUS X-99/USB 3.1 RX RS 480 8GB 1x8GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 535 120GB Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 ASUS 24inch 1080p60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft natural 4000 Seasonic FP Series SSR-850FX Corsair Air 740 Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 28
Eh?
I was under the assumption the tests simply used the smallest packet size in order to represent a worst case scenario.

I've had my 3660 up around ~85 mbit using PAT with really no other routing rules and a single SIP registration even though it's only rated up to 60 or so per that document..
Das Rig, Ja?
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Asus Crosshair VI EVGA 1080Ti SC2 2x16G GSkill RGB 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500 GB 960 EVO Enermax T50A-BVT Windows 10 Pro 27" Asus 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K350 EVGA 1600G2 Fractal Define C Rosewill M55 RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
Das Rig, Ja?
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Asus Crosshair VI EVGA 1080Ti SC2 2x16G GSkill RGB 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500 GB 960 EVO Enermax T50A-BVT Windows 10 Pro 27" Asus 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K350 EVGA 1600G2 Fractal Define C Rosewill M55 RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR View Post

I didn't explain that well and I was wrong on one thing, shouldn't try to half pay attention in class and post...lol. The isr g2s are technically all branch small office oriented AFAIK. If the router performance guide says 150 you will never ever see that with any configuration. Its not full duplex so that means your looking at 75 there, they test the routers in a particular way which does not really represent real world traffic, the standard here is to again divide by 2 for a number to expect so, ~38 . This is what I was told the routers (ISR G2s) can do with services enabled (kinda vague). Depending on how it is configured I have no doubt its possible to see more or less in terms of performance but that will give you an idea where this fits. You could get the ASA I suppose, look into the config guide and make sure it will do everything you want it to. The ASAs are firewalls that happen to be able to route IMO. The 1900 is the low maybe mid range type of router.
Will you actually continuously have the need for 50 meg worth of traffic to be routed? Is this a burstable number or do you have a SLA?
EDIT: Just realized I was looking at the 1941 instead of the 21. I have slides somewhere at home but it's probably going to be a little less then the 41 but not by a whole lot.

Thanks. I own an ASA 5505 with Security Plus but as I said, you probably didnt catch it, will have to be deployed in the near future in the field. I was just highly considering the 1921 to replace the ASA as my security needs in my home network environment, which I built just like a business environment for a real business.

As far as I know the only services that I would really be considering is the IOS Firewall, QoS for certain data, i.e. Skype for business use, and then I also have my signature rig hooked up to it in order to game on.

As far as the 2900 goes, it looks a little more powerful but I am not sure if it would be worth the expense.

I am just really confused at why Cisco would place such high speed gigabit interfaces on this device yet the thing can only do, as you state, like 38mbps. Honestly my Asus RT-N66U home router can do far far higher numbers than that. Of course no where near the quality of firewall and QoS that these routers can dish out.

50meg is definitely burst. I average about 32mbps download.. I am going to reduce my plan to 30meg anyways because there is nothing in the world I use 50meg for.

On another note I do not want to purchase a router that cant grow with internet speeds if I want to go to a higher tier later. As for SLA I do not have a SLA. I under best effort small business contract. As it is highly affordable over SLA.
Edited by Tangoseal - 4/18/12 at 11:55am
6 Core Battle Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7-3930K Asus Rampage IV Extreme Powercolor Radeon HD 6990 LCS Edition Diamond Radeon HD 6990 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3-1600 32GB Samsung HD103SJ Crucial M4 60GB SSD Corsair Force3 120GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom build water cooling loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus Pro 24" Pro-IPS 16:10 x 3 in eyefinity Razer Black Widow Ultimate Cherry Blue switches 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX-1200 GPU PSU and Antec True Power New Caselabs TH10 Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
6 Core Battle Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7-3930K Asus Rampage IV Extreme Powercolor Radeon HD 6990 LCS Edition Diamond Radeon HD 6990 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3-1600 32GB Samsung HD103SJ Crucial M4 60GB SSD Corsair Force3 120GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom build water cooling loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus Pro 24" Pro-IPS 16:10 x 3 in eyefinity Razer Black Widow Ultimate Cherry Blue switches 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX-1200 GPU PSU and Antec True Power New Caselabs TH10 Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangoseal View Post

Thanks. I own an ASA 5505 with Security Plus but as I said, you probably didnt catch it, will have to be deployed in the near future in the field. I was just highly considering the 1921 to replace the ASA as my security needs in my home network environment, which I built just like a business environment for a real business.
As far as I know the only services that I would really be considering is the IOS Firewall, QoS for certain data, i.e. Skype for business use, and then I also have my signature rig hooked up to it in order to game on.
As far as the 2900 goes, it looks a little more powerful but I am not sure if it would be worth the expense.
I am just really confused at why Cisco would place such high speed gigabit interfaces on this device yet the thing can only do, as you state, like 38mbps. Honestly my Asus RT-N66U home router can do far far higher numbers than that. Of course no where near the quality of firewall and QoS that these routers can dish out.
50meg is definitely burst. I average about 32mbps download.. I am going to reduce my plan to 30meg anyways because there is nothing in the world I use 50meg for.
On another note I do not want to purchase a router that cant grow with internet speeds if I want to go to a higher tier later. As for SLA I do not have a SLA. I under best effort small business contract. As it is highly affordable over SLA.

Sorry, better reread my post. I forgot about that updated pdf, looks like it should do 50 without issue.. I dunno about that source so I'd look for the pdf somewhere else probably but off the top of my head its looks correct
5820K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-5820k @ 4.5GHz ASUS X-99/USB 3.1 RX RS 480 8GB 1x8GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 535 120GB Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 ASUS 24inch 1080p60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft natural 4000 Seasonic FP Series SSR-850FX Corsair Air 740 Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
5820K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-5820k @ 4.5GHz ASUS X-99/USB 3.1 RX RS 480 8GB 1x8GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 535 120GB Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 ASUS 24inch 1080p60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft natural 4000 Seasonic FP Series SSR-850FX Corsair Air 740 Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR View Post

Sorry, better reread my post. I forgot about that updated pdf, looks like it should do 50 without issue.. I dunno about that source so I'd look for the pdf somewhere else probably but off the top of my head its looks correct

No worries at all. That puts my mind at ease with purchasing this router. You and all others who took the time to help me with this thread deserve rep and therefore you shall receive.

I appreciate the feedback. If there is any other feedback to lend me please do so. I am soaking this information in.
6 Core Battle Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7-3930K Asus Rampage IV Extreme Powercolor Radeon HD 6990 LCS Edition Diamond Radeon HD 6990 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3-1600 32GB Samsung HD103SJ Crucial M4 60GB SSD Corsair Force3 120GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom build water cooling loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus Pro 24" Pro-IPS 16:10 x 3 in eyefinity Razer Black Widow Ultimate Cherry Blue switches 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX-1200 GPU PSU and Antec True Power New Caselabs TH10 Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
6 Core Battle Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7-3930K Asus Rampage IV Extreme Powercolor Radeon HD 6990 LCS Edition Diamond Radeon HD 6990 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3-1600 32GB Samsung HD103SJ Crucial M4 60GB SSD Corsair Force3 120GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom build water cooling loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus Pro 24" Pro-IPS 16:10 x 3 in eyefinity Razer Black Widow Ultimate Cherry Blue switches 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX-1200 GPU PSU and Antec True Power New Caselabs TH10 Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkalurk View Post

Is that why you own a 2960G for home use? Cricky, I'm happy with my 16 port TPlink dumb switch at home. I don't care about vlans when it's only 7 devices.

Well I have a two fold environment set up. One I do not have enough devices to need VLANs other than guest wifi and guest ethernet, when I fix servers and infected PCs with viruses and stuff.

Second reason is qualification, Cisco IOS studies, and I can do certain labs with my leading edge layer 2 switch, it has about every function a layer 2 switch can offer and then some.

Extra: I like my 2960G because it has curbed my ping times 5-10ms on average in gaming sessions over cheaper dumb switches. I think that is because these Cisco's are just really efficient and fast at moving data where it needs to be moved and doing it rapidly.

And PC to PC/Server transfers are just wicked fast. I typically and consistently run 99% gig/e utilization all the time when transferring large files. I.e. Blue Ray images of movies I purchase, etc....
6 Core Battle Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7-3930K Asus Rampage IV Extreme Powercolor Radeon HD 6990 LCS Edition Diamond Radeon HD 6990 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3-1600 32GB Samsung HD103SJ Crucial M4 60GB SSD Corsair Force3 120GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom build water cooling loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus Pro 24" Pro-IPS 16:10 x 3 in eyefinity Razer Black Widow Ultimate Cherry Blue switches 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX-1200 GPU PSU and Antec True Power New Caselabs TH10 Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
6 Core Battle Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7-3930K Asus Rampage IV Extreme Powercolor Radeon HD 6990 LCS Edition Diamond Radeon HD 6990 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3-1600 32GB Samsung HD103SJ Crucial M4 60GB SSD Corsair Force3 120GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom build water cooling loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus Pro 24" Pro-IPS 16:10 x 3 in eyefinity Razer Black Widow Ultimate Cherry Blue switches 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX-1200 GPU PSU and Antec True Power New Caselabs TH10 Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 28
I've seen the 1921 handle 100mb circuits. It will work fine, I use them with hwic4ew's over the 881's when I need more routed ports..

there are a couple reasons to use 1921's over ASA. Mostly FHRP, bgp and. The ASA has SLA, but it's called somthing diffrent, don't remember right now.

Have fun.. I use a basic 871 at home.. Good enough...
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cisco Cisco Cisco Cisco 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cisco Cisco Cisco Cisco 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsee View Post

I've seen the 1921 handle 100mb circuits. It will work fine, I use them with hwic4ew's over the 881's when I need more routed ports..
there are a couple reasons to use 1921's over ASA. Mostly FHRP, bgp and. The ASA has SLA, but it's called somthing diffrent, don't remember right now.
Have fun.. I use a basic 871 at home.. Good enough...

Awesome news. I am glad you confirmed that you actually have used them at those speeds. I have no need to add any gig or FE hwics as I have a 2960G 24 port so I have all the switching I will ever need in my home environment.

I think I will go ahead and order this router on monday as I would like to also use ingress/egress filtering features as well which the ASA cant do to my understanding due to NOT being a true router. If I am wrong please correct me.

Not sure if I will be willing to want to use BGP from my home yet but I know you can run BGP from the home business if you want to pay for it. I just have no need for dual ISP with emergency DNS failover type stuff that BGP supports. But it is really good to have a router that can do all of that. Although I am not sure if 512mb of ram is enough for all the BGP routes from your ISP. Maybe so with BGP4. Havent used BGP in about 2 years since I was a network engineer at a data center in Atlanta.

Though I will be using, more than likely OSPF to my ASA, and SSL VPN, as I am going to place it offsite to host some offsite backups etc... Thats why I am going to buy the sec licensed version of this router.

As far as internal routing to separate VLANs, which I am going to be setting up for security reasons, I want to segregate the broadcast domains of my business equipment from my personal, i.e. my signature gaming rig below, so I will be configuring the 1921 on a stick. I could shell out the $250.00 for the 4 port HWIC but I dont see the need when I can set it up on a stick and that gig/e interface on the 1921 will have titanic amounts of bandwidth for "on a stick routing".

I have a bonus question: What is the 1905 router? Is that a really slimmed down version of the 1921 or is it in a different family? I cant seem to find much information about this one.

Edit*- found out that 1905 only has one HWIC port in the back but I cant seem to find any other information to do a compare and contrast between the two. I am thinking that the 1921 will have a better upgrade path especially with two HWIC ports in the back that way I can put 2 4 port gig switches in there or a docsis 3.0 cable modem when they come out which I will do when they do if Comcast will support it.
Edited by Tangoseal - 4/19/12 at 8:26pm
6 Core Battle Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7-3930K Asus Rampage IV Extreme Powercolor Radeon HD 6990 LCS Edition Diamond Radeon HD 6990 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3-1600 32GB Samsung HD103SJ Crucial M4 60GB SSD Corsair Force3 120GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom build water cooling loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus Pro 24" Pro-IPS 16:10 x 3 in eyefinity Razer Black Widow Ultimate Cherry Blue switches 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX-1200 GPU PSU and Antec True Power New Caselabs TH10 Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
6 Core Battle Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7-3930K Asus Rampage IV Extreme Powercolor Radeon HD 6990 LCS Edition Diamond Radeon HD 6990 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3-1600 32GB Samsung HD103SJ Crucial M4 60GB SSD Corsair Force3 120GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom build water cooling loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus Pro 24" Pro-IPS 16:10 x 3 in eyefinity Razer Black Widow Ultimate Cherry Blue switches 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX-1200 GPU PSU and Antec True Power New Caselabs TH10 Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 28
router on a stick? god no.. You have a 2960, route though the SVI.. 2960's are limited layer 3 devices as of te12.2(55)SE release.

http://blog.alwaysthenetwork.com/tutorials/2960s-can-route/

Edit:

Cisco 1905 specs...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/routers/ps10538/ps10820/data_sheet_c78-598372.pdf

Gott'a kinda agree with everyone.. I don't see the worth of having a 1900 series at the home.. The 1800 and 800 series are much cheaper.. I've been runing a Cox 50mb business circuit on a 1800 for over a year, it's always bursting at 55mb/s+ during speed tests. I've ran several NBAR tests with http traffic at full 50mb speeds for over 5min's...

I see having the new arch as a positive, if you got the funds go for it....
Edited by scottsee - 4/19/12 at 11:35pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cisco Cisco Cisco Cisco 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cisco Cisco Cisco Cisco 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsee View Post

router on a stick? god no.. You have a 2960, route though the SVI.. 2960's are limited layer 3 devices as of te12.2(55)SE release.
http://blog.alwaysthenetwork.com/tutorials/2960s-can-route/
Edit:
Cisco 1905 specs...
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/routers/ps10538/ps10820/data_sheet_c78-598372.pdf
Gott'a kinda agree with everyone.. I don't see the worth of having a 1900 series at the home.. The 1800 and 800 series are much cheaper.. I've been runing a Cox 50mb business circuit on a 1800 for over a year, it's always bursting at 55mb/s+ during speed tests. I've ran several NBAR tests with http traffic at full 50mb speeds for over 5min's...
I see having the new arch as a positive, if you got the funds go for it....

Holy crap you are right haha. I have 15.0(1)SE2 IOS installed. I believe it can support it as well. I might be wrong but I can always downgrade.

Anyways I want to learn the new tech to apply to my studies as well as have a higher resale value down the road as well as really get deep into learning IOS Zone Based Firewall which is newer and more secure than traditional IOS ACLs and Firewall functions. I also want to use netflow features as well to get up to speed better on that for supplying more solutions to my customers.

I am really not wanting to spend the money on it but I really want the new architecture. I am in deep thought about it right now. Considering all options. I am not going to get that 1905
Edited by Tangoseal - 4/20/12 at 12:40am
6 Core Battle Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7-3930K Asus Rampage IV Extreme Powercolor Radeon HD 6990 LCS Edition Diamond Radeon HD 6990 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3-1600 32GB Samsung HD103SJ Crucial M4 60GB SSD Corsair Force3 120GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom build water cooling loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus Pro 24" Pro-IPS 16:10 x 3 in eyefinity Razer Black Widow Ultimate Cherry Blue switches 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX-1200 GPU PSU and Antec True Power New Caselabs TH10 Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
6 Core Battle Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7-3930K Asus Rampage IV Extreme Powercolor Radeon HD 6990 LCS Edition Diamond Radeon HD 6990 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3-1600 32GB Samsung HD103SJ Crucial M4 60GB SSD Corsair Force3 120GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom build water cooling loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus Pro 24" Pro-IPS 16:10 x 3 in eyefinity Razer Black Widow Ultimate Cherry Blue switches 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX-1200 GPU PSU and Antec True Power New Caselabs TH10 Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › 1921 router for home?