Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Cooling › Running Unigine Heaven
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Running Unigine Heaven

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
How long should I run Unigine Heaven to determine the max real-world temperature of my GPU? Or should I just run it in benchmark mode and leave it until finished?
post #2 of 40
At least 3 loops in the game. The benchmark is what 2-3minutes long. So by the time you get to around 6-10minutes it'll top out at max temp.

Although, another thing to consider is how much heat your CPU puts out. If you've got air cooling on your CPU and your playing a heavy CPU intensive game like bf3, the CPU cooling could dump some warmer air into the case, bumping up the ambient temp in the case, and thus increasing the max temp of the GPU by a few *C when playing a game compared to heaven.
post #3 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

At least 3 loops in the game. The benchmark is what 2-3minutes long. So by the time you get to around 6-10minutes it'll top out at max temp.
Although, another thing to consider is how much heat your CPU puts out. If you've got air cooling on your CPU and your playing a heavy CPU intensive game like bf3, the CPU cooling could dump some warmer air into the case, bumping up the ambient temp in the case, and thus increasing the max temp of the GPU by a few *C when playing a game compared to heaven.

Oh ok. So you're saying that Unigine Heaven is minimally loading the CPU?
post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

How long should I run Unigine Heaven to determine the max real-world temperature of my GPU? Or should I just run it in benchmark mode and leave it until finished?

Heaven only taxes the system to about 98%. That last 2% will get you locked up in real world games. Run a game like crysis/metro/bf3 which will tax the complete system the best, then check you temp logs.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Heaven only taxes the system to about 98%. That last 2% will get you locked up in real world games. Run a game like crysis/metro/bf3 which will tax the complete system the best, then check you temp logs.

What do you mean "locked up"?

Is there a crysis/metro/bf3 benchmark program that I can run so that I won't install the whole game and play it just to see my temps?
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

What do you mean "locked up"?
Is there a crysis/metro/bf3 benchmark program that I can run so that I won't install the whole game and play it just to see my temps?

Just run Heaven for 3 loops making sure v-sync is off thumb.gif

Each run is about 7 minutes iirc!
I Like Smileys :)
(16 items)
 
Sony Vaio 1512
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro Bios 3207 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaws-X 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
80GB Intel & 128GB 830  2 x WD640 Caviar Black LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64bit Acer 5906x1080 3D Logitech G15 Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Logitec G700 Razer Goliathus Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Laptop  HD 4000 Corsair Vengeance 8GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 250GB DVD Multi Windows 8 15.5 inch display (1366 x 768) 
Keyboard
LED Back lit 
  hide details  
Reply
I Like Smileys :)
(16 items)
 
Sony Vaio 1512
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro Bios 3207 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaws-X 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
80GB Intel & 128GB 830  2 x WD640 Caviar Black LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64bit Acer 5906x1080 3D Logitech G15 Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Logitec G700 Razer Goliathus Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Laptop  HD 4000 Corsair Vengeance 8GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 250GB DVD Multi Windows 8 15.5 inch display (1366 x 768) 
Keyboard
LED Back lit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHILEE5 View Post

Just run Heaven for 3 loops making sure v-sync is off thumb.gif
Each run is about 7 minutes iirc!

Is there a loop count there or something? Or should I just manually monitor the progress of the test?

So only vsync is off and everything else is set to max? That is:

API: DirectX 11
Tessellation: Extreme
Shaders: High
Anisotropy: 16x
Stereo 3D: Disabled
Multi monitor: unchecked
Anti-aliasing: 8x
Full screen: checked
Resolution: system

Now where do I turn off vsync and why do I need to turn it off?
Edited by kevindd992002 - 4/18/12 at 7:36am
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Is there a loop count there or something? Or should I just manually monitor the progress of the test?
So only vsync is off and everything else is set to max?

There is no loop count! redface.gif
But I've monitored Heaven and three runs gets my cards up to max temp smile.gif
And it'll take about 20 minutes to do the three runs! thumb.gif
I Like Smileys :)
(16 items)
 
Sony Vaio 1512
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro Bios 3207 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaws-X 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
80GB Intel & 128GB 830  2 x WD640 Caviar Black LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64bit Acer 5906x1080 3D Logitech G15 Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Logitec G700 Razer Goliathus Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Laptop  HD 4000 Corsair Vengeance 8GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 250GB DVD Multi Windows 8 15.5 inch display (1366 x 768) 
Keyboard
LED Back lit 
  hide details  
Reply
I Like Smileys :)
(16 items)
 
Sony Vaio 1512
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro Bios 3207 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaws-X 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
80GB Intel & 128GB 830  2 x WD640 Caviar Black LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64bit Acer 5906x1080 3D Logitech G15 Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Logitec G700 Razer Goliathus Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Laptop  HD 4000 Corsair Vengeance 8GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 250GB DVD Multi Windows 8 15.5 inch display (1366 x 768) 
Keyboard
LED Back lit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHILEE5 View Post

There is no loop count! redface.gif
But I've monitored Heaven and three runs gets my cards up to max temp smile.gif
And it'll take about 20 minutes to do the three runs! thumb.gif

Thanks. I edited my post above for my question regarding vsync, hope you can also share info about this smile.gif
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Thanks. I edited my post above for my question regarding vsync, hope you can also share info about this smile.gif

As long as V-sync is off, Heaven will basically max out your GPU smile.gif
So the settings wont matter really, so set them how you like!
I just run default settings with tessellation set to normal smile.gif
I Like Smileys :)
(16 items)
 
Sony Vaio 1512
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro Bios 3207 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaws-X 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
80GB Intel & 128GB 830  2 x WD640 Caviar Black LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64bit Acer 5906x1080 3D Logitech G15 Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Logitec G700 Razer Goliathus Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Laptop  HD 4000 Corsair Vengeance 8GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 250GB DVD Multi Windows 8 15.5 inch display (1366 x 768) 
Keyboard
LED Back lit 
  hide details  
Reply
I Like Smileys :)
(16 items)
 
Sony Vaio 1512
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro Bios 3207 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaws-X 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
80GB Intel & 128GB 830  2 x WD640 Caviar Black LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64bit Acer 5906x1080 3D Logitech G15 Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Logitec G700 Razer Goliathus Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Laptop  HD 4000 Corsair Vengeance 8GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 250GB DVD Multi Windows 8 15.5 inch display (1366 x 768) 
Keyboard
LED Back lit 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Cooling › Running Unigine Heaven