Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Build for $1000. Suggestions please!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Build for $1000. Suggestions please!

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I am building a computer for a friend and he wants to spend around the magic number of $1000. He wants to be able to game and have it be "fast" lol. He also doesn't care about overclocking or crossfire. I am really trying to get an SSD in it. Anyways this is what I came up with so far:

i5 2400
8GB G.Skill
Sapphire OC Edition Radeon 7850 2GB (was thinking a 560 TI for $20 less....any input on this?)
Asus P8H77-M/CSM
Mushkin Chronos 120GB - Reviews look good but anyone using one?
Seagate 500GB HDD
Corsair CX500
Thermaltake V4 Case (or other cheap case)
Cheap DVD-RW
Windows 7 Home 64

The total comes to $1030. I can also get my hands on a cheap GTX 560 regular edition for $80 less than a 7850 but I don't know how much performance I would lose. Anyone have any suggestions where I could save money or add performance without much cost increase?

Thanks!! biggrin.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 930@4.2GHz 1.3v Asus Rampage III Formula Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC - 1000MHz/1500MHz MSI Radeon 7950 Twin Frozr III OC - 1000MHz/150... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill 24GB DDR3 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD - Primary Seagate 1TB HDD - Storage LG Blu-Ray 6X Writer 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermaltake Contac 30 w/ 2x Cooler Master Fans BitFenix Recon Fan Controller Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS PB278Q - 1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 OCZ ZX1000 Corsair 600T SE Cyborg Rat 7 Contagion Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Sphex Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium w/ Logitech Z-5500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 930@4.2GHz 1.3v Asus Rampage III Formula Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC - 1000MHz/1500MHz MSI Radeon 7950 Twin Frozr III OC - 1000MHz/150... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill 24GB DDR3 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD - Primary Seagate 1TB HDD - Storage LG Blu-Ray 6X Writer 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermaltake Contac 30 w/ 2x Cooler Master Fans BitFenix Recon Fan Controller Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS PB278Q - 1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 OCZ ZX1000 Corsair 600T SE Cyborg Rat 7 Contagion Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Sphex Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium w/ Logitech Z-5500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_9611 View Post

I am building a computer for a friend and he wants to spend around the magic number of $1000. He wants to be able to game and have it be "fast" lol. He also doesn't care about overclocking or crossfire. I am really trying to get an SSD in it. Anyways this is what I came up with so far:
i5 2400
8GB G.Skill
Sapphire OC Edition Radeon 7850 2GB (was thinking a 560 TI for $20 less....any input on this?)
Asus P8H77-M/CSM
Mushkin Chronos 120GB - Reviews look good but anyone using one?
Seagate 500GB HDD
Corsair CX500
Thermaltake V4 Case (or other cheap case)
Cheap DVD-RW
Windows 7 Home 64
The total comes to $1030. I can also get my hands on a cheap GTX 560 regular edition for $80 less than a 7850 but I don't know how much performance I would lose. Anyone have any suggestions where I could save money or add performance without much cost increase?
Thanks!! biggrin.gif

For what you are paying for the graphic cards i would highly advise the GTX 480 since its price was dropping down, the GTX 480 is also a stronger card than the GTX 560 Ti or even the GTX 560 Ti 448cores. the 7850 is fine.. but ... http://www.hwcompare.com/12055/geforce-gtx-480-vs-radeon-hd-7850/ thumb.gif
post #3 of 11
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=543

Not worth the $50 you'll save. In a gaming build, you should never sacrifice graphic power. It's unfortunate he won't overclock or crossfire/sli since that's where budget builds really shine. It's hard to beat a 2500k and a GTX 460 or similar in SLI.
post #4 of 11
here's my build:

270
Shhh!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z MSI GTX1080 Gaming X Corsair XMS3 2GB x 4 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Crucial M4 256GB Vertex 4 512GB 1 TB Black Caviar Noctua NH-D14 Achieva Shimian 27" 2560x1440 Kingwin Lazer Platinum LZP-550 550W  
Case
Silverstone SG09 
  hide details  
Reply
Shhh!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z MSI GTX1080 Gaming X Corsair XMS3 2GB x 4 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Crucial M4 256GB Vertex 4 512GB 1 TB Black Caviar Noctua NH-D14 Achieva Shimian 27" 2560x1440 Kingwin Lazer Platinum LZP-550 550W  
Case
Silverstone SG09 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas View Post

here's my build:
270

 

IMO that case is too expensive, and I'd be leery of that PSU...will it really be able to handle that card at full load? Also, there's no storage drive there and he'll probably want one as a single 128GB SSD won't hold much.

post #6 of 11
Well this is the cheapest I can get it with the OS without sacrificing any performance.

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($121.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($387.55 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.08 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS90B DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1080.55

If you have enough cash I would add an M4 too.
Edited by UltraHoboLord - 4/19/12 at 7:00am
post #7 of 11
Part list permalink

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter) [$199.99 @ NCIX]
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($121.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Microcenter)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($33.26 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec 650W ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS90B DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $646.18
Total (no microcenter): $666.18

And this GTX 580 that is on sale.
$340 : PNY GTX 580 1.5GB refurbished

Grand Total: $1006.18

FYI, that GPU will be gone soon.



The RAM I picked has been know to overclock very well, 2400MHz+ Everything else in the build is pretty standard. IMO I would not grab a SSD with your budget, it will hinder your graphics performance by ~$80+ (Crucial M4) and It will not improve your gaming performance what-so-ever.
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517 View Post

Part list permalink

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter) [$199.99 @ NCIX]
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($121.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Microcenter)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($33.26 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec 650W ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS90B DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $646.18
Total (no microcenter): $666.18

And this GTX 580 that is on sale.
$340 : PNY GTX 580 1.5GB refurbished

Grand Total: $1006.18

FYI, that GPU will be gone soon.



The RAM I picked has been know to overclock very well, 2400MHz+ Everything else in the build is pretty standard. IMO I would not grab a SSD with your budget, it will hinder your graphics performance by ~$80+ (Crucial M4) and It will not improve your gaming performance what-so-ever.
SSDs do increase your gaming performance. Your textures load a lot faster which is good got games with large textures like skyrim or rage. The ram is good but I would buy heat spreaders for generic ram.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHoboLord View Post

SSDs do increase your gaming performance. Your textures load a lot faster which is good got games with large textures like skyrim or rage. The ram is good but I would buy heat spreaders for generic ram.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

SSDs will only increase saving and loading things. So yes, loading textures, which in single player games is done VIA loading screens, MMOs it is done partly on the fly. SSDs will have 0 impact on the settings you can play at(med vs high) or the FPS you get.

And, RAM does not need heat spreaders, all you need is proper airflow in a case and you will be fine. @1.65V it still does not produce that much heat. Also, that Samsung ram is better than the current corsair and Gskill ram for the same price range when overclocked.
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Well i'm going to run everything by him and see what he wants to do. Thanks everyone for your help! thumb.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 930@4.2GHz 1.3v Asus Rampage III Formula Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC - 1000MHz/1500MHz MSI Radeon 7950 Twin Frozr III OC - 1000MHz/150... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill 24GB DDR3 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD - Primary Seagate 1TB HDD - Storage LG Blu-Ray 6X Writer 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermaltake Contac 30 w/ 2x Cooler Master Fans BitFenix Recon Fan Controller Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS PB278Q - 1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 OCZ ZX1000 Corsair 600T SE Cyborg Rat 7 Contagion Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Sphex Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium w/ Logitech Z-5500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 930@4.2GHz 1.3v Asus Rampage III Formula Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC - 1000MHz/1500MHz MSI Radeon 7950 Twin Frozr III OC - 1000MHz/150... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill 24GB DDR3 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD - Primary Seagate 1TB HDD - Storage LG Blu-Ray 6X Writer 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermaltake Contac 30 w/ 2x Cooler Master Fans BitFenix Recon Fan Controller Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS PB278Q - 1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 OCZ ZX1000 Corsair 600T SE Cyborg Rat 7 Contagion Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Sphex Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium w/ Logitech Z-5500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Build for $1000. Suggestions please!