Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Is amd good?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is amd good? - Page 4

post #31 of 104
Thread Starter 
So... Gigabyte or that mobo for beginner ocing and value?
last gen
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 930 Asus P6x58d-p XFX Radeon 6870 Double Dissipation corsair xms3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
OCZ agility 3 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Win 7 pro 64 bit cherry mx 8100  
PowerCaseMouse
kingwin 750w open air razer naga 2011 
CPUMotherboardRAMOS
core 2 duo apple logic board 4 gb mac osX 
  hide details  
Reply
last gen
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 930 Asus P6x58d-p XFX Radeon 6870 Double Dissipation corsair xms3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
OCZ agility 3 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Win 7 pro 64 bit cherry mx 8100  
PowerCaseMouse
kingwin 750w open air razer naga 2011 
CPUMotherboardRAMOS
core 2 duo apple logic board 4 gb mac osX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanak21 View Post

So... Gigabyte or that mobo for beginner ocing and value?

well, another choice is this . . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767

but i am biased. the uefi are giving noobs problems in o'cing.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 104
Gigabyte make some low level OCing boards all manufactures do
post #34 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerguy View Post

as a 4+2 board it will handle light OCing its good up too 140watts

^this. i like that Biostar. I'll picked that over the Gigabyte.

y do you say so i dont understand headscratch.gif the gigabyte motherboard is a better VRM layout i.e. i would say a 8+2 Phase motherboard which is enough to get the max out of the CPU were else the Biostar is a 4+2 Phase VRM setup and the gigabyte board has a better overall build lastly i think is definitely worth paying 10$ extra for the gigabyte motherboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanak21 View Post

So... Gigabyte or that mobo for beginner ocing and value?

well, another choice is this . . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767

but i am biased. the uefi are giving noobs problems in o'cing.

you cant CF or SLi on that board redface.gif
post #35 of 104
Thread Starter 
I have 300 now for mobo cpu and ram. I found a great deal on 8 gig ram for 20. So that puts me at 280. I want to sell my xfx dd 6870 for the new gc. How much will i get for that? What mobo and gpu should i use?
last gen
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 930 Asus P6x58d-p XFX Radeon 6870 Double Dissipation corsair xms3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
OCZ agility 3 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Win 7 pro 64 bit cherry mx 8100  
PowerCaseMouse
kingwin 750w open air razer naga 2011 
CPUMotherboardRAMOS
core 2 duo apple logic board 4 gb mac osX 
  hide details  
Reply
last gen
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 930 Asus P6x58d-p XFX Radeon 6870 Double Dissipation corsair xms3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
OCZ agility 3 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Win 7 pro 64 bit cherry mx 8100  
PowerCaseMouse
kingwin 750w open air razer naga 2011 
CPUMotherboardRAMOS
core 2 duo apple logic board 4 gb mac osX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 104
$180: 2500K
$130: Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
-$50: for Microcenter 2500K + Z68 mobo deal
$260 Total

A used 6870 might sell for ~$130.
Edited by Ironman517 - 4/20/12 at 1:05pm
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 104
Thread Starter 
I am nowhere near a micro center. I want to go amd because i think i will upgrade in the next year or so and amd seems like a good value and it covers all of my needs.
last gen
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 930 Asus P6x58d-p XFX Radeon 6870 Double Dissipation corsair xms3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
OCZ agility 3 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Win 7 pro 64 bit cherry mx 8100  
PowerCaseMouse
kingwin 750w open air razer naga 2011 
CPUMotherboardRAMOS
core 2 duo apple logic board 4 gb mac osX 
  hide details  
Reply
last gen
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 930 Asus P6x58d-p XFX Radeon 6870 Double Dissipation corsair xms3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
OCZ agility 3 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Win 7 pro 64 bit cherry mx 8100  
PowerCaseMouse
kingwin 750w open air razer naga 2011 
CPUMotherboardRAMOS
core 2 duo apple logic board 4 gb mac osX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 104
ASUS M5A97 AM3 dose support crossfrie
post #39 of 104
Thread Starter 
Also, my 6870 has all the original contents and box. Ive only used it for a month or so.
last gen
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 930 Asus P6x58d-p XFX Radeon 6870 Double Dissipation corsair xms3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
OCZ agility 3 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Win 7 pro 64 bit cherry mx 8100  
PowerCaseMouse
kingwin 750w open air razer naga 2011 
CPUMotherboardRAMOS
core 2 duo apple logic board 4 gb mac osX 
  hide details  
Reply
last gen
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 930 Asus P6x58d-p XFX Radeon 6870 Double Dissipation corsair xms3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
OCZ agility 3 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Win 7 pro 64 bit cherry mx 8100  
PowerCaseMouse
kingwin 750w open air razer naga 2011 
CPUMotherboardRAMOS
core 2 duo apple logic board 4 gb mac osX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 104
well for ~$280 i would say either go with
960T ~125$
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 ~120$
and 212 + ~23$
Total $268 Shipped

overclock this and get performance at par a 2500k or get a 2500k itself

2500k 200$ NCIX US
Gigabyte P67X-UD3 99$ NCIX US
Total 300$ Shipped
and you could also overclock it ~ 3.8Ghz or so with the stock HSF on biggrin.gif


and lastly for your current GPU i.e the 6870 you would probably get 100$ or so at max bcoz a new 6870 cost ~150$ redface.gif

Hope that helped thumb.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Is amd good?