Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › upgrading my watercooling loop (advice please)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

upgrading my watercooling loop (advice please)

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Hi, I have a custom water loop derived from an XSPC Rasa RX360 kit....I have replaced the cpu block with a XSPC Raystorm copper & added my gpu in to the loop as well.

I was thinking about upgrading my system to 2011 getting the ASUS Sabretooth and the Koolance waterblocks for the motherboard.

Will I need more radiator if I add the motherboard blocks in to the loop?

Also, should I be upgrading the pump if I'm going to have two radiators?

Cheers, krs
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsboss View Post

Will I need more radiator if I add the motherboard blocks in to the loop?

The general rule that I've heard a few times is 120mm of radiator per waterblock + an additional 120mm.
Also, a fan upgrade may help get a little more mileage out of your rx360
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsboss View Post

Also, should I be upgrading the pump if I'm going to have two radiators?
Cheers, krs

What pump are you currently using?

Also, you may want to mess around with this spreadsheet to analyze/estimate your flow rate, which will help determine if a new/additional pump is necessary. good luck thumb.gif
Extreme OC
(52 photos)
  
Reply
Extreme OC
(52 photos)
  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Well you could probably run it all with just one 360, but you'd either get pretty warm temps or really loud fans

So If you want to stay within regular, I'd say you should get a little more rad space
People usually go with 120 for components and about 240 for a gpu

I hear that the rasa kit pumps usually die out after a few months, so it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to get an extra pump
Fishies
(29 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Z77 Pro4 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570  Kingston HyperX Blu 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Kingston HyperX T1 Kingston HyperX Blu Kingston HyperX T1 Seagate Barracuda 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial Adrenaline Raystorm Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT 3/8 5/8 XSPC DDC Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EX 240 EX 120 EK-FC EN Acrylic GTX 570 SE Laing DDC-1T 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Noctua NF-P12 AP-14 Yate Loon D12SL-12 Monsoon Matte White 3/8 5/8 Compression Fittings 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit Logitech K270 Antec EarthWatts 650 NZXT Phantom 410 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries 4HD Asus Xonar DG SteelSeries Siberia V2 
Other
TP-Link WN951N 
  hide details  
Reply
Fishies
(29 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Z77 Pro4 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570  Kingston HyperX Blu 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Kingston HyperX T1 Kingston HyperX Blu Kingston HyperX T1 Seagate Barracuda 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial Adrenaline Raystorm Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT 3/8 5/8 XSPC DDC Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EX 240 EX 120 EK-FC EN Acrylic GTX 570 SE Laing DDC-1T 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Noctua NF-P12 AP-14 Yate Loon D12SL-12 Monsoon Matte White 3/8 5/8 Compression Fittings 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit Logitech K270 Antec EarthWatts 650 NZXT Phantom 410 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries 4HD Asus Xonar DG SteelSeries Siberia V2 
Other
TP-Link WN951N 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsboss View Post

Hi, I have a custom water loop derived from an XSPC Rasa RX360 kit....I have replaced the cpu block with a XSPC Raystorm copper & added my gpu in to the loop as well.
I was thinking about upgrading my system to 2011 getting the ASUS Sabretooth and the Koolance waterblocks for the motherboard.
Will I need more radiator if I add the motherboard blocks in to the loop?
Also, should I be upgrading the pump if I'm going to have two radiators?
Cheers, krs

The pump that comes with the Rasa kit is notoriously flaky, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to a D5 or DDC. Adding another Radiator won't hurt your flow rates at all, but the motherboard block will.

The motherboard block won't add a significant amount of heat to your loop. You can easily fit another 240 (even more if you mod) in an 800D, so I would go ahead and do it. Out of curiousity, how are your temps now?
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k | Stock Asus X99 Sabertooth Asus GTX980 Strix | Stock G.SKILL Value Series 4x8GB DDR4 | 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Red 2TB x4 | Raid 5 Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD x2 | Raid 1 Corsair H80i Windows Server 2012 R2 
PowerCase
Corsair AX850 Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Titanium 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i3-3220 Asrock H77M-ITX Samsung HYK0 2x4GB WD Black 500GB 
OSCase
Sophos UTM Home Edition Silverstone Sugo SG05BB 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k | Stock Asus X99 Sabertooth Asus GTX980 Strix | Stock G.SKILL Value Series 4x8GB DDR4 | 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Red 2TB x4 | Raid 5 Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD x2 | Raid 1 Corsair H80i Windows Server 2012 R2 
PowerCase
Corsair AX850 Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Titanium 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i3-3220 Asrock H77M-ITX Samsung HYK0 2x4GB WD Black 500GB 
OSCase
Sophos UTM Home Edition Silverstone Sugo SG05BB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all your replies biggrin.gif

I'm not really sure I'm confident enough modding my case yet to try and fit a 240 in the bottom (though I've seen other people manage this quite comfortably. I was thinking however, that I could easily mount a 140mm rad on the bottom air intake fan and possibly convert a 3 x 5.25" bay device to mount a single 120mm rad in place of my bay reservoir!

With regards to my current temps, under load at 4.9 GHz w. 1.45V I'm getting 80 - 87 Celcius across the cores and my GPU is mostly around 40 Celcius (even under load)! Living in Australia without air-con means the air in my case is usually ~25 Celcius frown.gif

Cheers, krs
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsboss View Post

Thanks for all your replies biggrin.gif
I'm not really sure I'm confident enough modding my case yet to try and fit a 240 in the bottom (though I've seen other people manage this quite comfortably. I was thinking however, that I could easily mount a 140mm rad on the bottom air intake fan and possibly convert a 3 x 5.25" bay device to mount a single 120mm rad in place of my bay reservoir!
With regards to my current temps, under load at 4.9 GHz w. 1.45V I'm getting 80 - 87 Celcius across the cores and my GPU is mostly around 40 Celcius (even under load)! Living in Australia without air-con means the air in my case is usually ~25 Celcius frown.gif
Cheers, krs

new radiator or not, a new pump will give increased flow and pressure and thus should help your temps go down. also, i think the single 140mm rad would be a good alternative to modding your case for a 240mm rad. in conclusion, a new pump and an extra 140mm rad will definitely give you some better performance and should be a pretty simple upgrade! thumb.gif
Extreme OC
(52 photos)
  
Reply
Extreme OC
(52 photos)
  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsboss View Post

Thanks for all your replies biggrin.gif
I'm not really sure I'm confident enough modding my case yet to try and fit a 240 in the bottom (though I've seen other people manage this quite comfortably. I was thinking however, that I could easily mount a 140mm rad on the bottom air intake fan and possibly convert a 3 x 5.25" bay device to mount a single 120mm rad in place of my bay reservoir!
With regards to my current temps, under load at 4.9 GHz w. 1.45V I'm getting 80 - 87 Celcius across the cores and my GPU is mostly around 40 Celcius (even under load)! Living in Australia without air-con means the air in my case is usually ~25 Celcius frown.gif
Cheers, krs

My SB knowledge is very limited but even with your Ambients those temps seem way to high!!

I would check for air in your loop, if theres none I would certainly remount my Block.

Any reason your looking to go socket 2011? Or you upgrading just to play with something new? Nothing wrong with that, I'd do it if I had the cash too! Just curious really.
My Gaming Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K Z97X-SOC Force MSI GTX 1070 FE G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2 Crucial M4 256GB XSPC RX360 + RX240 + RX120 XSPC Raystorm EK 1070FE WB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64 Qnix QX2710 96Hz CM Storm Rapid Coolermaster V Series 850w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Mionix Onboard Sound / HD449s 
  hide details  
Reply
My Gaming Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K Z97X-SOC Force MSI GTX 1070 FE G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2 Crucial M4 256GB XSPC RX360 + RX240 + RX120 XSPC Raystorm EK 1070FE WB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64 Qnix QX2710 96Hz CM Storm Rapid Coolermaster V Series 850w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Mionix Onboard Sound / HD449s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt26LFC View Post

My SB knowledge is very limited but even with your Ambients those temps seem way to high!!

Unless I'm stress testing, I'm not running the CPU any where near 100% so under everyday use, it never really gets above 70 Celcius, which is acceptable to me!
Quote:
I would check for air in your loop, if theres none I would certainly remount my Block.
Any reason your looking to go socket 2011? Or you upgrading just to play with something new? Nothing wrong with that, I'd do it if I had the cash too! Just curious really.

I'm pretty certain that there's no air in my loop, but remounting the block wouldn't be a bad idea...however, I'm using Artic Silver 5 so wouldn't be looking forwards to another 200 hours burn-in....especially if I'm not going to be using the 2700k for much longer.

With regards to why I'm looking to upgrade, there are several answers - however the main reason is that a friend wants me to build him a PC so he's happy to get my 2700k & 580 meaning that I don't have to spend so much to make the switch!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › upgrading my watercooling loop (advice please)