Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Owners Thread/Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Owners Thread/Club - Page 474

post #4731 of 6915
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKHunt View Post


For what its worth, Vengeance ram is equal to corsair budget 1.5V. Rarely do the 1600MHz sticks OC. I couldn't get 2 sets of the CL9 to OC at all on 3 different boards. Vengeance 1600MHzCL9 is VERY low-binned RAM. Try nicer sticks and you'll have more success. Even my old gigabyte mobo could easily mess around with my muskhin enhanced blacklines, but not Vengeance.
Thanks for pointing this out lol. Was about to start throwin my two sense in as well, but this pretty much IS the case. While it may be true the mobo plays a lot nicer with OC cpus... you can't really knock it in good faith for not playing well with a particular make and model of ram. Test some diff ram then come in and knock the board if you want to lol

Another thing just to point out... Turn to page 2-9 in your manual and verify your exact model 1600 ram is on the QVL, if not... then you can't knock them for making you aware it wasn't tested.
Edited by likethegun - 2/12/13 at 8:30am
post #4732 of 6915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed 

I'm going to try this today. As you could well be right - even though I HIGHLY doubted ANYTHING being wrong with my Z77...!
Cheers for bringing it to my attention +rep to you and "angel"

Oh no, what's going on?
MotherFo-PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-3770k Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX 460 1GB Corsair Vengence 16gb Gold/Olive colored 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Asus 16x DVDRW Corsair H100 Windows 7x64 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Sharp 32" LCD TV Seasonic x850 Corsair C70 Olive Drab Logitech mx518 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries QCK Creative Fatal1ty Pro Sound card Altec Lansing 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
MotherFo-PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-3770k Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX 460 1GB Corsair Vengence 16gb Gold/Olive colored 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Asus 16x DVDRW Corsair H100 Windows 7x64 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Sharp 32" LCD TV Seasonic x850 Corsair C70 Olive Drab Logitech mx518 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries QCK Creative Fatal1ty Pro Sound card Altec Lansing 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4733 of 6915
Quote:
Originally Posted by likethegun View Post

Another thing just to point out... Turn to page 2-9 in your manual and verify your exact model 1600 ram is on the QVL, if not... then you can't knock them for making you aware it wasn't tested.

My exact kit is in the QVL - just the board refuses to go below CL9.
Thing is for me I barely care at it doesn't make a noticeable difference. Unless I'm benching etc. So RAM oc'ing despite it being THE THING back several years ago - now is almost pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherFo View Post

Oh no, what's going on?

Fo you don't know?
I de-lidded my CPU.
Thought I scratched the IMC.
I put the CPU in another board, and it runs all my 16GB RAM without a problem.

At first me thinking I screwed my CPU...now it seems like my motherboard magically thought to say no to two slots of RAM...
I'm reminiscing 2 years ago (pretty much EXACTLY 2 years ago) where my old P5K premium did the same thing.
Wasted time, money and effort trying to sort my old P5K premium out, but the monkeys at ASUS did nothing to help.
Now I'm back int he same position, except THIS TIME, it was working before I de-lidded.
So I'm going to play around with coolers today - and then if that's to no effect, will wait for my i3 to come in.
If the i3 reports the same problems as my i7....then it is quite obvious what the problem is.

Once I determine that, I'll try the method listed above, and if that doesn't work, both my Antec 920 & Asus Z77 are being RMA'ed. I've done nothing wrong to either of them.
1. Antec 920 - performs about 3-5c better than a STOCK INTEL COOLER
2. Z77 board decided to stop working

Early days so far, but I'm going to thoroughly test it out before jumping to conclusions etc.
UTTERLY disappointed with ASUS to be honest.

My mum's PC build doesn't have ASUS on it - and the asus sound card, I didn't even bother touching the official rubbish drivers - and went straight in for the uni-drivers.

My friend is also building a powerhouse (which i will be assembling) and I advised him AGAINST buying anything ASUS related.
If I hadn't had such POOR experiences with ASUS I wouldn't have been saying this.
I ONLY bought this sabertooth for the looks (now thinking of it that's completely useless as it is in a case) and for the BIOS EZ functionality in WINDOWS (but that caused services.msc to report problems and cause 3min hang up times in windows boot)
Long story short: I advise buying another brand.
Edited by Totally Dubbed - 2/12/13 at 9:38am
post #4734 of 6915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

My exact kit is in the QVL - just the board refuses to go below CL9.
Thing is for me I barely care at it doesn't make a noticeable difference. Unless I'm benching etc. So RAM oc'ing despite it being THE THING back several years ago - now is almost pointless.
Fo you don't know?
I de-lidded my CPU.
Thought I scratched the IMC.
I put the CPU in another board, and it runs all my 16GB RAM without a problem.

At first me thinking I screwed my CPU...now it seems like my motherboard magically thought to say no to two slots of RAM...
I'm reminiscing 2 years ago (pretty much EXACTLY 2 years ago) where my old P5K premium did the same thing.
Wasted time, money and effort trying to sort my old P5K premium out, but the monkeys at ASUS did nothing to help.
Fair enough. Could be numerous things then. I'll give it to you that ASUS has terrible customer support lol. I just wish I didn't like their products rolleyes.gif
post #4735 of 6915
Quote:
Originally Posted by likethegun View Post

Fair enough. Could be numerous things then. I'll give it to you that ASUS has terrible customer support lol. I just wish I didn't like their products rolleyes.gif

I love their hardware, but I'm starting to hate that too.
Their software...from when I can remember building a PC - which is around 5-6years ago, has always been terrible.
No change since then.
Why does a £170 motherboard not have an error code (as pointed out by another member here), and why is it that upon installing all the software, does it slow down my boot time considerably, to the point it hangs a £1200 system for 3 minutes?
Why Asus? Why?
post #4736 of 6915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

I love their hardware, but I'm starting to hate that too.
Their software...from when I can remember building a PC - which is around 5-6years ago, has always been terrible.
No change since then.
Why does a £170 motherboard not have an error code (as pointed out by another member here), and why is it that upon installing all the software, does it slow down my boot time considerably, to the point it hangs a £1200 system for 3 minutes?
Why Asus? Why?
I saw a brief glimpse of your boot problem a while back. Was it confirmed to be the software? If so that is very interesting as my sig rig I installed all the asus software and my boot time is still less than 15 seconds. I do agree though. Asus customer support and software has been lacking. I will always sweat by their hardware though. I still have a G1S laptop that is over 5 years old that has literally been used all day everyday since I purchased it that is still running as strong as ever. It stays running 24 hours a day and has since its purchase. Only thing needed replacing was the hard drive because of normal lifespan. As far as error codes... you just mean to specifically localize hardware failures?
post #4737 of 6915
Quote:
Originally Posted by likethegun View Post

I saw a brief glimpse of your boot problem a while back. Was it confirmed to be the software? If so that is very interesting as my sig rig I installed all the asus software and my boot time is still less than 15 seconds. I do agree though. Asus customer support and software has been lacking. I will always sweat by their hardware though. I still have a G1S laptop that is over 5 years old that has literally been used all day everyday since I purchased it that is still running as strong as ever. It stays running 24 hours a day and has since its purchase. Only thing needed replacing was the hard drive because of normal lifespan. As far as error codes... you just mean to specifically localize hardware failures?

Error codes, as in a display on the motherboard - very useful for quickly diagnosing problems.

As for the boot time:
First of all I had problems with the asus fan control service. Those were Asus SOFTWARE related. They slowed down my boot time by literally 3-4 minutes (I'm not exaggerating, it boot into windows then got stuck thinking) As soon as I disabled the services it booted up within 20seconds.

I re-installed windows, as I didn't like the fact that i had to modify the services, and asus left a lot of things behind.
After i re-installed, for some reason, then my z77 would boot in 30 seconds, and not the 20 seconds i had before.

Those were my boot things.
I realised, after installing my mum's PC, what slows down the pc by a HUGE amount: Windows updates.
Simply put, that's the MAIN thing that made my mum's pc boot up faster than my SSD by around 5 seconds, to around 10 seconds slower than my SSD after win updates.

I'm quite impressed with the WD Black caviar so far - very good buy.
post #4738 of 6915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

Error codes, as in a display on the motherboard - very useful for quickly diagnosing problems.

As for the boot time:
First of all I had problems with the asus fan control service. Those were Asus SOFTWARE related. They slowed down my boot time by literally 3-4 minutes (I'm not exaggerating, it boot into windows then got stuck thinking) As soon as I disabled the services it booted up within 20seconds.

I re-installed windows, as I didn't like the fact that i had to modify the services, and asus left a lot of things behind.
After i re-installed, for some reason, then my z77 would boot in 30 seconds, and not the 20 seconds i had before.

Those were my boot things.
I realised, after installing my mum's PC, what slows down the pc by a HUGE amount: Windows updates.
Simply put, that's the MAIN thing that made my mum's pc boot up faster than my SSD by around 5 seconds, to around 10 seconds slower than my SSD after win updates.

I'm quite impressed with the WD Black caviar so far - very good buy.
Ahh ok. I am following you now. Yeah I remember weeks back when you were first discussing your boot problem.

Far as error codes, I think the LEDs are fine... the only thing that sucks is that it doesn't get specific so you can't localize the problem. (ie it just tells you that there is a general hardware error if its not a problem with vga or cpu or whatnot...)
post #4739 of 6915
I have the sabertooth z77 and although i hate the recent bios update with a passion..my computer is still stable. If your running windows 7 make sure secure boot and fast boot are disabled. They only work with windows 8.
post #4740 of 6915
I can 100% confirm nothing is wrong with my cpu. It is the z77 board.
It's going to get rmaed. I don't feel like digging a deeper hole via wiping the bios chip. So asus, you did it again! 2yrs on, same problem. I swear on my life I'll never buy an asus product ever again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Owners Thread/Club