Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Forbes] Valve Co-founder Gabe Newell Says EA's Origin Service Is 'Still Playing Catch-Up'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Forbes] Valve Co-founder Gabe Newell Says EA's Origin Service Is 'Still Playing Catch-Up' - Page 12

post #111 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFaux View Post

Same here, I ended up waiting to buy BF3 until it was on sale for $25, but it would have been a day 1 purchase from me if it had been on Steam or even just a hard copy without Steam. To this day 95% of all crashes or errors I get from BF3 (Which are pretty frequent.) are cause by either Origin or the Battlelog. I think the main reason why so many people are resistant to Origin is because we already have hundreds of games on Steam and don't want to buy game that wont be added into our existing collection or switch to a service that doesn't have our current collection.

I would have waited too, but I managed to get 20% off and Dead Space 2 for free for pre-ordering.

What pisses me off is that I could have paid less tax had I just switched my province in the drop down menu.
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
post #112 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post

EA is horrible and so is Origin. I have absolutely ZERO trust in EA and refuse to use their digital distribution service. If they hadn't tied some of their larger properties to the service I doubt they would have more than 100,000 users.

Ugh. Origins "horrible"ness is only your opinion tbh.

Valve would have had no user base to start selling games to with Steam had they not initially locked people into using Steam just to play their games either (which people HATED for many years).

What's your point?
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
post #113 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post

If you're seriously trying to argue that EA is anywhere near Valve in terms of how good to the customer they are...Wow. They're not even close, EA is up there with Activision. Sure they throw out some free DLC now and again, but 9/10 you'll be paying for map-packs that Valve would give away free, wondering why a game you bought last year has had support withdrawn, etc.

+1
^_^
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua D14 Asus VG248QE Corsair TX 750 V2 Corsair 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G400, MX518, G500, G5, IMO 1.1, IME 3.0, Deatha... fUnC 1030, QCK+, QCK Heavy, PureTrak Talent Whi... X-Fi Titanium HD Sennheiser HD555 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2.4GHz Intel HD 4000 8GB 256GB SSD 
Monitor
2880 x 1800 Retina 
  hide details  
Reply
^_^
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua D14 Asus VG248QE Corsair TX 750 V2 Corsair 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G400, MX518, G500, G5, IMO 1.1, IME 3.0, Deatha... fUnC 1030, QCK+, QCK Heavy, PureTrak Talent Whi... X-Fi Titanium HD Sennheiser HD555 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2.4GHz Intel HD 4000 8GB 256GB SSD 
Monitor
2880 x 1800 Retina 
  hide details  
Reply
post #114 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy View Post

Ugh. Origins "horrible"ness is only your opinion tbh.
Valve would have had no user base to start selling games to with Steam had they not initially locked people into using Steam just to play their games either (which people HATED for many years).
What's your point?

He didn't say a word about Origin apart from that he refuses to use it, EA's horribleness isn't an opinion really...It's practically fact. Whether they lock you into using it is moot, that doesn't change the fact EA have, can and will screw you over for the slightest opportunity of money.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 1866Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 1866Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #115 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post

He didn't say a word about Origin apart from that he refuses to use it, EA's horribleness isn't an opinion really...It's practically fact. Whether they lock you into using it is moot, that doesn't change the fact EA have, can and will screw you over for the slightest opportunity of money.

Then again Steam's horribleness isn't an opinion either. Its practically fact

While were at it, check this out!
Time Consumer
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 1100T Crosshair IV Formula HD6970 CU II Patriot Division 2 Viper Xtreme 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
120 GB Kingston Hyper X (OS/Program files/Origin) 64 GB Kingston V series  1TB Western Digital Black (Stuff that could get... Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Samsung 27" LED (SA550) G19 Corsair HX850W 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec DF85 G700 Onkyo TX-NR509 via AMD HDMI 
  hide details  
Reply
Time Consumer
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 1100T Crosshair IV Formula HD6970 CU II Patriot Division 2 Viper Xtreme 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
120 GB Kingston Hyper X (OS/Program files/Origin) 64 GB Kingston V series  1TB Western Digital Black (Stuff that could get... Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Samsung 27" LED (SA550) G19 Corsair HX850W 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec DF85 G700 Onkyo TX-NR509 via AMD HDMI 
  hide details  
Reply
post #116 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict1973 View Post

Then again Steam's horribleness isn't an opinion either. Its practically fact
While were at it, check this out!

Owned

Also I do not need Gabe to tell me that EA still needs to do work on origin, of course they do and even they know it. However comparing how origin started and how steam started, origin has had a way smoother experience for most people. Both companies used the tactic of locking up most wanted games to their service, right now steam does screenshots, groups etc, while origins is nothing more than a game launching service with chat options, do I need anything more to play games? no. Also why not give origins the chance to grow instead of you know bashing it at every turn. I still remember when the service was first launched people were saying it would be nothing more than a platform that has only EA games; lord behold the witcher 2, Batman AC, Resident Evil, Shogun 2 and other games have been added to it and EA has expressed their interest on getting other games on the platform. People need to realize that competition is a good thing and steam does not always offer the best prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post

Let's do an honest comparison:
I've never launched CS or CS:S and have it open my HL or HL2 game instead. I've never experienced the same connection and disconnection issues as I do playing BFBC2 and BF3. There are two versions of CS distinctly similar yet completely different in mechanics and game play. Yet there are several iterations of BF with destructible environments in three of them, similar mechanics and game play in two, and CoD is essentially the exact same game across five releases, including mechanics and gameplay.


Hmm lets do an honest comparison.

I have CSS and whenever I try to find a server ingame no servers are found, this has been happening for almost a year now with no fix, when I search for servers in the steam list it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, also all source games crash for me with the HL2.exe has stopped working. While BF3 only used to briefly crash after some patch, but has stopped crashing. Stop labelling your own problems with the game has widespread for everyone, I can easily label my problems with CSS and Source games as widespread problems but im not ignorant.

Also are you really claiming that CS, CSS is vastly different while calling COD the same thing over again? Every cod game despite coming out every year changes way more things and adds more things than CS does to its sequels and COD is a game which people generally think of repetitive. Also not everyone is into the competitive scene, not everyone wants to play the same game over again just because they mastered the first one and doesnt want things to change (CS GO). Or play the same desert village that people have been playing for last 10 years. The competitive gaming crowd is a minority.
Edited by sausageson - 4/24/12 at 6:59pm
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #117 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict1973 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post

He didn't say a word about Origin apart from that he refuses to use it, EA's horribleness isn't an opinion really...It's practically fact. Whether they lock you into using it is moot, that doesn't change the fact EA have, can and will screw you over for the slightest opportunity of money.

Then again Steam's horribleness isn't an opinion either. Its practically fact

While were at it, check this out!

And I bought up Steam where? Where did I also say Steam is great? I've repeatedly said I'd prefer another DRM system and that I don't really care about distribution methods apart from GFWL (Which sucks)

I was talking about EA in general, not just Origin. EA has been horrible to consumers and it's been proven time and time again. Need proof? SW:ToR. Need For Speed, the many Sports games, The Sims 3: Cashcow, BF3s hype and barely better than a beta release, etc. Does this mean they make bad games in my opinion? No. Bethesda are similar with game quality and I love the TES and FO series'. Does this mean Valve are better? No, but you cannot deny that their after-release support is far better and that they care more about the consumer than EA by a long shot.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 1866Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 1866Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #118 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict1973 View Post

Then again Steam's horribleness isn't an opinion either. Its practically fact
While were at it, check this out!

Looked at the top three results, I'm far from impressed:

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmuslimgamer.com%2Fvalves-steam-alternatives-bad-customer-service-price-comparison%2F&ei=h1OXT-rxFsjs2gWyyYjSDQ&usg=AFQjCNGOjFVrUMKIp-YP5BgN4yWUMtKXYg

A person not pleased with the fact that they ordered a game pack that was meant to be a gift as a game for themselves, admittedly through their own fault. Steam offered them a refund on their personal purchase if they repurchased it as a gift. This wasn't good enough for the complainant...

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CC4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.steampowered.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2273058&ei=h1OXT-rxFsjs2gWyyYjSDQ&usg=AFQjCNExng43_rozXBCotqVstlQqORZbNw

This guy may have a legitimate complaint... he's not very articulate so its a bit hard to tell, and he never reposted as to the root of the problem.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CDwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.overclock.net%2Ft%2F294934%2Fsteam-support-sucks&ei=h1OXT-rxFsjs2gWyyYjSDQ&usg=AFQjCNGpnUbefdIHiVktHjki8Mf_YJEjbA

Complaint from 4 years ago...

I would check what the results are before I posted a google search link to support my position.

Interestingly, you pointed to evidence that the bogeyman is real. The evidence for that is of the same quality of those that say that some DRM is awful, that is to say that it's all anecdotal.
post #119 of 125
this is still only 3 pages(50 per page)? o.o

It is all down to opinion in the end, and shoving your opinion down their throats wont make them convert to your side.
Tardis
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|2500k @ 4.4Ghz vcore 1.40| MSI P67A-GD65 290X G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
C300 64GB SSD - 500GB HDD - 840 250GB SSD Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 3 HP LA2405wg 24'' 1920x1200 @5760x1200 Corsair 850watts 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom Black G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Tardis
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|2500k @ 4.4Ghz vcore 1.40| MSI P67A-GD65 290X G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
C300 64GB SSD - 500GB HDD - 840 250GB SSD Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 3 HP LA2405wg 24'' 1920x1200 @5760x1200 Corsair 850watts 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom Black G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #120 of 125
Am I blind or is there no mention of Linux in the source at all? Or do I have to find that information else-where.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Forbes] Valve Co-founder Gabe Newell Says EA's Origin Service Is 'Still Playing Catch-Up'