Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › **Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide** (with LN2 Guide at The End)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide** (with LN2 Guide at The End) - Page 14

post #131 of 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thmonkey View Post

Given that this is a new process no-one really knows, all you are going to get is a best guess. Even given the new tjmax of 105, and a peak temp of 99 (suspicious number to me). I'm undershooting that dramatically and sticking to 70C core temp max, which ends up equating to 1.15-1.2V maybe a little higher. My gut feel based on stock voltages and temps it generates is that your 1.35V is too high.
You've not mentioned temps anywhere in your post, care to share?


The stable OC @ 4.54GHz was running the 4 core temps at 78 , 83 , 81 , 76 @ 1.344v / 1.334v...

@ everyone - My board came with software called AI Suite 2, and it has a temperature sensor for the CPU, which is always running around 7-8 degrees lower than what real temp is running at, which temp should I go by? The one provided by the Board software, or the RealTemp one?

James
post #132 of 1411
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDi View Post

Thanks for the reply man!
My CPU PLL is set at 1.8 and the Mobo wont let me lower it at all, the only option I have it to raise it, same with the VCCSA, its stock at 0.925 and wont let me lower it, just raise it...
PCH Voltage, which is default @ 1.050 is all I can make lower than default!
And yeah, using LLC!
James

What board do you have? You shouldn't be touching the PCH voltage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDi View Post

The stable OC @ 4.54GHz was running the 4 core temps at 78 , 83 , 81 , 76 @ 1.344v / 1.334v...
@ everyone - My board came with software called AI Suite 2, and it has a temperature sensor for the CPU, which is always running around 7-8 degrees lower than what real temp is running at, which temp should I go by? The one provided by the Board software, or the RealTemp one?
James

the real temp
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3960X GIGABYTE G1 Assassin 2 SLI GTX 570 940/2200 Kingston 16GB HyperX 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 64GB 830  Antec H2O 920 Windows 7 GIGABYTE Aivia K8100 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200 Lian-Li PC70 GIGABYTE Ghost M8000X Creative XF-I C20K2 built in.  
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3960X GIGABYTE G1 Assassin 2 SLI GTX 570 940/2200 Kingston 16GB HyperX 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 64GB 830  Antec H2O 920 Windows 7 GIGABYTE Aivia K8100 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200 Lian-Li PC70 GIGABYTE Ghost M8000X Creative XF-I C20K2 built in.  
  hide details  
Reply
post #133 of 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin0822 View Post

Can you just set 4.4ghz without changing the voltage?

No. If I set Vcore to Auto I will get BSoD when I do Prime95. I now use offset +0.015 V, LLC Level 3, and 1.1 V of VTT. I think it is stable at this point (10.5 hours of Prime95 and ongoing).

Oh, and ASRock BIOS for Z68 is very "kinky". I have to manually keyed in 44x on all core limits. If I select all core then 44x Intel Turbo Boost will be on and I have no way to select Turbo Boost.
Misaka
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB Samsung DDR3 16 GB (30 nm) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128 GB WD Caviar Blue 1 TB Lite-on DVD Burner Thermalright Venomous X 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Professional x64 (Host) Crunchbang Linux x64 (Guest) HP 2311x HP PS/2 Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Capstone 450 W Rosewill Challenger Logitech M570 ASUS Xonar D1 
Other
Hauppauge HVR-1250 
  hide details  
Reply
Misaka
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB Samsung DDR3 16 GB (30 nm) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128 GB WD Caviar Blue 1 TB Lite-on DVD Burner Thermalright Venomous X 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Professional x64 (Host) Crunchbang Linux x64 (Guest) HP 2311x HP PS/2 Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Capstone 450 W Rosewill Challenger Logitech M570 ASUS Xonar D1 
Other
Hauppauge HVR-1250 
  hide details  
Reply
post #134 of 1411
I've been working on 4.6GHz this afternoon and here's where I'm at. IBT failed the 25th run while I was typing this up. Any suggestions on how to stabilize without increasing Vcore anymore? Should I increase current compatibility (100%) or maybe increase/decrease PLL overvoltage? I noticed the mobo keeps trying to set current compatibility to 140% and I keep turning it down.

Settings: 46x, HT=ON, PLL Overvoltage = 1.80v, LLC = 75%, Spectrum stuff disabled, C1E + C3 Report disabled, Current Capability = 100%
VCore Tests:
- 1.250v crashes IBT 0 runs
- 1.255v crashes IBT 0 runs
- 1.270v crashes IBT 0 runs
- 1.275v/1.272v under load, crashes IBT 1 runs, 76-85-84-79 max temps, 107 Gflops
- 1.280v/1.280v under load, crashes IBT 1 runs, 77-85-84-79 max temps, 107 Gflops
- 1.285v/1.280v under load, crashes IBT 1 runs, 77-85-85-79 max temps, 107 Gflops
- 1.290v/1.288v under load, Failed 25th IBT run ("very high" stress level) , 79-88-88-81 max temps, 107 Gflops avg.

368
post #135 of 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin0822 View Post

What board do you have? You shouldn't be touching the PCH voltage.
the real temp

I've got the Asus P8Z77-M Pro dude. I've never touched the PCH Voltage, thats just the only one I can go lower with, the others are set at stock, and can only be adjusted higher!

Now running 4.54GHz @ 1.336v (45x101MHz) with safe temps in the mid/high 70's on air. Using a Actic Cooling freezer 13 Continuous.Operation. Probably going to sell this rig (first time build) once its stable and tested, and go for an 3770K Build, and choose a better board again!
post #136 of 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDi View Post

The stable OC @ 4.54GHz was running the 4 core temps at 78 , 83 , 81 , 76 @ 1.344v / 1.334v...
@ everyone - My board came with software called AI Suite 2, and it has a temperature sensor for the CPU, which is always running around 7-8 degrees lower than what real temp is running at, which temp should I go by? The one provided by the Board software, or the RealTemp one?
James

I'm also using asus AI suite II, my CPU temp does not have much range, 30-50 maybe and it moves comparatively slowly, my core temp ranges much higher and much quicker. I've interpreted the cpu temp as being the the package temp (which is very well connected to hsf and hence slower). Which asus board are you on (i'm on V-Pro)? The defaults for the cpu fan control were very poorly set in my opinion, they weren't intended to start fan ramping till 50C, I've altered that significantly and started the ramp at 35 (40%ish) (idle is 31-33) peaking at 55C. That might have been fine for Sandy, but ivy reacts too quickly in my opinion. As it stands my system is 'office quiet' at light loads and not too loud under gaming loads.
 
WHS
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P5B DL Wifi AP GTX470 Stock Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB WD 500GB RE4 OCZ Solid 30GB x2 Xigmatek Achillies 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
win 7 64 dell 2048x1152 HP 1050x1680 - portrait Seasonic S12 II 600W 
CaseMouseAudio
P180B  G500 Creative Xi-Fi Gamer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 255 M4A78LT-M-LE Onboard 2GB of DDR3 
Hard DriveCase
5TB of WHS storage (5TB before duplication) Fractal Define Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
 
WHS
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P5B DL Wifi AP GTX470 Stock Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB WD 500GB RE4 OCZ Solid 30GB x2 Xigmatek Achillies 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
win 7 64 dell 2048x1152 HP 1050x1680 - portrait Seasonic S12 II 600W 
CaseMouseAudio
P180B  G500 Creative Xi-Fi Gamer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 255 M4A78LT-M-LE Onboard 2GB of DDR3 
Hard DriveCase
5TB of WHS storage (5TB before duplication) Fractal Define Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
post #137 of 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thmonkey View Post

I'm also using asus AI suite II, my CPU temp does not have much range, 30-50 maybe and it moves comparatively slowly, my core temp ranges much higher and much quicker. I've interpreted the cpu temp as being the the package temp (which is very well connected to hsf and hence slower). Which asus board are you on (i'm on V-Pro)? The defaults for the cpu fan control were very poorly set in my opinion, they weren't intended to start fan ramping till 50C, I've altered that significantly and started the ramp at 35 (40%ish) (idle is 31-33) peaking at 55C. That might have been fine for Sandy, but ivy reacts too quickly in my opinion. As it stands my system is 'office quiet' at light loads and not too loud under gaming loads.


Im using the M-Pro, not too bad, good price for what it was really!

I've found the Asus AI Suite II was always about 10 degrees lower than realtemps readings, t had my machine reading as idling at 23/24 degrees on a 4.5GHz O.C, whereas in the Bios it was 32-34 degrees idle!

@Sin0822, here are my Bios Settings, I lowered the BCLCK back to 100MHz, and I'm currently testing to see how low my Core Voltage will go at 45 x:

384

384

384

384

384
post #138 of 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDi View Post

Im using the M-Pro, not too bad, good price for what it was really!
I've found the Asus AI Suite II was always about 10 degrees lower than realtemps readings, t had my machine reading as idling at 23/24 degrees on a 4.5GHz O.C, whereas in the Bios it was 32-34 degrees idle!

I considered the Mpro, but wanted PCI slots for my xifi card, saved me £60-70 over buying a pci-e one.

My realtemp doesn't show cpu temp, and my ai suite doesn't show core. Is there a setting on realtemp or is your ai suite different. I do like how the asus fan service is now a service that launches at startup, and not an app like fanexpert used to be.
 
WHS
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P5B DL Wifi AP GTX470 Stock Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB WD 500GB RE4 OCZ Solid 30GB x2 Xigmatek Achillies 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
win 7 64 dell 2048x1152 HP 1050x1680 - portrait Seasonic S12 II 600W 
CaseMouseAudio
P180B  G500 Creative Xi-Fi Gamer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 255 M4A78LT-M-LE Onboard 2GB of DDR3 
Hard DriveCase
5TB of WHS storage (5TB before duplication) Fractal Define Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
 
WHS
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P5B DL Wifi AP GTX470 Stock Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB WD 500GB RE4 OCZ Solid 30GB x2 Xigmatek Achillies 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
win 7 64 dell 2048x1152 HP 1050x1680 - portrait Seasonic S12 II 600W 
CaseMouseAudio
P180B  G500 Creative Xi-Fi Gamer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 255 M4A78LT-M-LE Onboard 2GB of DDR3 
Hard DriveCase
5TB of WHS storage (5TB before duplication) Fractal Define Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
post #139 of 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus5k View Post

I've been working on 4.6GHz this afternoon and here's where I'm at. IBT failed the 25th run while I was typing this up. Any suggestions on how to stabilize without increasing Vcore anymore? Should I increase current compatibility (100%) or maybe increase/decrease PLL overvoltage? I noticed the mobo keeps trying to set current compatibility to 140% and I keep turning it down.
Settings: 46x, HT=ON, PLL Overvoltage = 1.80v, LLC = 75%, Spectrum stuff disabled, C1E + C3 Report disabled, Current Capability = 100%
VCore Tests:
- 1.250v crashes IBT 0 runs
- 1.255v crashes IBT 0 runs
- 1.270v crashes IBT 0 runs
- 1.275v/1.272v under load, crashes IBT 1 runs, 76-85-84-79 max temps, 107 Gflops
- 1.280v/1.280v under load, crashes IBT 1 runs, 77-85-84-79 max temps, 107 Gflops
- 1.285v/1.280v under load, crashes IBT 1 runs, 77-85-85-79 max temps, 107 Gflops
- 1.290v/1.288v under load, Failed 25th IBT run ("very high" stress level) , 79-88-88-81 max temps, 107 Gflops avg.
368

Lower your PLL overvoltage to somewhere 1.5-1.6V to lower your temps.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @4.4GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme6 MSI GTX 970 Gaming 2x8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Secondary: 2TB 7200rpm Secondary: 640GB 7200rpm Main: Crucial M4 128GB Secondary: Crucial M100 512GB ASUS Blu-ray player 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
CoolerMaster V6GT Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Acer G235H 23" 1920x1080  XTREMEGEAR 950W 
Case
AZZA Hurricane 2000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @4.4GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme6 MSI GTX 970 Gaming 2x8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Secondary: 2TB 7200rpm Secondary: 640GB 7200rpm Main: Crucial M4 128GB Secondary: Crucial M100 512GB ASUS Blu-ray player 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
CoolerMaster V6GT Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Acer G235H 23" 1920x1080  XTREMEGEAR 950W 
Case
AZZA Hurricane 2000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #140 of 1411
new member, i have z77-deluxe 3770k, the BEST AIR COOLER nh-d14.

currently running primes. so far ok.

at 4706mhz, load line med, cpu pll 1.6, vcore 1.32, rest stock.
thermals ... core1 worst ... 79to80c max max

started with vcore 1.35 cpu pll auto, 4700mhz, load line high,
thermals were 89c max max

primes

it is easier to get system stable 1st then lower vcore etc to get thermals right.
this assumes there is a reasonable freq you want before you start. that is what want.
you cant change later otherwise you are doing the same thing you are doing now.
raising the freq .. then vcore ... and always checking thermals.

if thermal are 90+ and system is stable you need to address thermals or lower freq.
this is the best approach i've found. IB is easier to get to be stable, harder to lower thermals.

jet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › **Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide** (with LN2 Guide at The End)