Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Intel Core i7 920 + MSI Big Bang Mobo for $200 a good deal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel Core i7 920 + MSI Big Bang Mobo for $200 a good deal? - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post

You could also sell the 2600k on ebay or somewhere else for a profit so you should consider that as well.
Personally I would probably add the mobo and go with the 2600k but I think I'm being biased since I just sold my 920.
what about adding a mobo from Microcenter though? Would they still be able to apply the $50 off promo if you show them your receipt from you 2600k purchase?

What's in bold is a pretty good idea. Remember though, selling for profit is not allowed on OCN, I'd sell it on ebay if that's what you decide to do.
My Gaming Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4,5GHz - 1.296 volts MSI P67A-GD55 Asus Strix Geforce GTX 970 4GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 2x4GB 1333... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB Toshiba HDKPC08 3TB Samsung 840 Evo 120GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair Hydro Series H60 Windows 8.1 Professional x64 BenQ G2420HD 24" 1920x1080 IBM Model M2 French Canadian Layout '93 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Mushkin Enhanced Joule 1000W Modular Antec DF-35 (Modded) Razer Deathadder 3500 DPI Mionix Sargas 900 
  hide details  
Reply
My Gaming Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4,5GHz - 1.296 volts MSI P67A-GD55 Asus Strix Geforce GTX 970 4GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 2x4GB 1333... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB Toshiba HDKPC08 3TB Samsung 840 Evo 120GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair Hydro Series H60 Windows 8.1 Professional x64 BenQ G2420HD 24" 1920x1080 IBM Model M2 French Canadian Layout '93 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Mushkin Enhanced Joule 1000W Modular Antec DF-35 (Modded) Razer Deathadder 3500 DPI Mionix Sargas 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 19
I´d keep ur rig and upgrade to Haswell, Nehalem now is a bit old and would Bottleneck any high end card on SLI/CFX
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmen View Post

Remember though, selling for profit is not allowed on OCN, I'd sell it on ebay if that's what you decide to do.

I've been doing it wrong this whole time? rolleyes.gif

@ OP - I'd go for it. It's a very good deal for that price.
    
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3630QM HD 7970M HD 7970M 2x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 256GB mSata Seagate Momentus 750GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB DVD Burner 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate 17.3" 1920x1080 Matte Screen Auria 27" 2560x1440 Back-lit Clevo Keyboard 
Power
330 Watt Power *BRICK*! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3630QM HD 7970M HD 7970M 2x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 256GB mSata Seagate Momentus 750GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB DVD Burner 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate 17.3" 1920x1080 Matte Screen Auria 27" 2560x1440 Back-lit Clevo Keyboard 
Power
330 Watt Power *BRICK*! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post

You could also sell the 2600k on ebay or somewhere else for a profit so you should consider that as well.
Personally I would probably add the mobo and go with the 2600k but I think I'm being biased since I just sold my 920.
what about adding a mobo from Microcenter though? Would they still be able to apply the $50 off promo if you show them your receipt from you 2600k purchase?

When I purchased the 2600k, I bought some random Gigabyte board (Z68) with it and got the $50 promo, so the board ended up being $109.99. However when I got home, I did my research and it turns out the board had a whole slew of problems, so I didn't even open it and just returned it. So now without a board, my 2600k is just sitting in the garage collecting dust. When I returned the board, they offered to let me exchange it, but my Microcenter was all out of decent boards, and the only thing they had was a bunch of MSI H67 boards or something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenInferno View Post

I love sandy bridge. It's the easiest 4.6-5.0ghz you will ever do. To me the increase in clocks is worth $130 (along with the ability to upgrade to ivy possibly later), but $200 for the 920+Big Bang is an awesome deal.
I'd go with the 920 simply because it's an awesome deal whereas the $330 for the 2600K+Z77 isn't spectacular and could be found again later if you decided you wanted to upgrade.

Yeah I used to have a 2500k and it was a decent chip, but I wasn't really that crazy about it. I figured the 2600k would at least get me better folding results with Big Adv WU's, which would be nice. I'm just a little skeptical of buying used CPU's and Motherboards though, lol.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4720HQ Razer nVidia GTX 970m Integrated RAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
M.2 SSD Windows 10 Professional Integrated Integrated 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Trackpad/Razer Mamba/Razer Orochi Corsair (portable)/Steelseries (Desk) Integrated Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4720HQ Razer nVidia GTX 970m Integrated RAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
M.2 SSD Windows 10 Professional Integrated Integrated 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Trackpad/Razer Mamba/Razer Orochi Corsair (portable)/Steelseries (Desk) Integrated Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalvin37 View Post

Good deal. Considering 980x has been seen around $350 used. There are ways to upgrade as well.
Big bang is an awesome board.
Also if you decide to go with the 920 route. I'm happy to pickup that 2600k:D

If I decide to sell it Kalvin, you'll be first on my list. Why didn't you pick one up when Microcenter had their sale? UCI isn't too far away from it!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4720HQ Razer nVidia GTX 970m Integrated RAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
M.2 SSD Windows 10 Professional Integrated Integrated 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Trackpad/Razer Mamba/Razer Orochi Corsair (portable)/Steelseries (Desk) Integrated Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4720HQ Razer nVidia GTX 970m Integrated RAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
M.2 SSD Windows 10 Professional Integrated Integrated 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Trackpad/Razer Mamba/Razer Orochi Corsair (portable)/Steelseries (Desk) Integrated Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 19
hmm got both 920 d0 w/ big bang and had a 2600k for awhile smile.gif and (IMO) i do find that the 920 does pretty well still in normal day tasks, if i remember right when i was using the 2600k did things slighly faster in cpu intensive things (did encoding mostly) but typically the differences were not to noticeable for most other things (again normal usage stuff)

But ive had the big bang since the first week it was out and its a great motherboard biggrin.gif OC's pretty well, highest i got on some my other motherboards (evga and another cant remember what it was off the top my head) was around 3.6-3.9, picked up the big bang and managed to get it up to ~4.1-4.2.

Only downside i feel with the board was when i tried a 3way + single slot physx, from what i have been told it seems depending on the number of cards set up you can only use certain pci-e lanes, so how its set up you cant stick a 1 slot physx gpu between the second and third card frown.gif although its not nessisaryally a downside, it would have been nice to do so since i had an extra card redface.gif

sry, just finished a 6 hour drive so, this post is kinda thrown together, pardon grammer typos etc tongue.gif
Mini-Box
(18 items)
 
 
Flowery Pink
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe Evga Gtx 670 SC 4gb Samsung 8gb (4gb x2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair GT Samsung 830 Western Digital Scorpio Black 750gb Panasonic Slim Blu-ray Burner 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Ek Supreme HF Nickel  EK Gtx 670 Nickel Windows 8 64-Bit Dell U2412m 
KeyboardCaseMouseMouse Pad
Logitech K810 Silverstone Sugo SG05-450 Logitech G700 Corsair 
AudioAudio
Fiio E17 Mackie MR5MK2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 @ 4.1 1.35v Msi Big Bang Xpower 3x EVGA GTX 470 + Evga Gtx 465 24gb Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb + Samsung F3 1TB 2x LG Blu-ray/HD-Dvd Drive Antec Kuhler 920 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 2693HM Corsair K60 Antec HCP-1200 Corsair 800D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G700 Corsair SP2200 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus h67 Nvidia GTS 450 Crucial  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital  Samsung dvd-rw Intel Stock Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
PowerCaseAudio
Corsair CX430 InWin Allure Creative X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Mini-Box
(18 items)
 
 
Flowery Pink
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe Evga Gtx 670 SC 4gb Samsung 8gb (4gb x2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair GT Samsung 830 Western Digital Scorpio Black 750gb Panasonic Slim Blu-ray Burner 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Ek Supreme HF Nickel  EK Gtx 670 Nickel Windows 8 64-Bit Dell U2412m 
KeyboardCaseMouseMouse Pad
Logitech K810 Silverstone Sugo SG05-450 Logitech G700 Corsair 
AudioAudio
Fiio E17 Mackie MR5MK2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 @ 4.1 1.35v Msi Big Bang Xpower 3x EVGA GTX 470 + Evga Gtx 465 24gb Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb + Samsung F3 1TB 2x LG Blu-ray/HD-Dvd Drive Antec Kuhler 920 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 2693HM Corsair K60 Antec HCP-1200 Corsair 800D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G700 Corsair SP2200 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus h67 Nvidia GTS 450 Crucial  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital  Samsung dvd-rw Intel Stock Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
PowerCaseAudio
Corsair CX430 InWin Allure Creative X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmuhhhh View Post

If I decide to sell it Kalvin, you'll be first on my list. Why didn't you pick one up when Microcenter had their sale? UCI isn't too far away from it!

Thanks man and I was out of town that weekend:o Hate to miss this.
Edit: saw the craglist ad myself but I guess it should be gone now.
Edited by kalvin37 - 4/23/12 at 9:53pm
post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalvin37 View Post

Thanks man and I was out of town that weekend:o Hate to miss this.
Edit: saw the craglist ad myself but I guess it should be gone now.

Ah, well it's unfortunate that you missed it! I was first in line to grab one, lol. Unfortunately though I still haven't been able to use it.

As for the CL ad, I e-mailed the guy as soon as I saw it, but haven't heard back from him yet. Here's to hoping it's still there rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNytAftr View Post

hmm got both 920 d0 w/ big bang and had a 2600k for awhile smile.gif and (IMO) i do find that the 920 does pretty well still in normal day tasks, if i remember right when i was using the 2600k did things slighly faster in cpu intensive things (did encoding mostly) but typically the differences were not to noticeable for most other things (again normal usage stuff)
But ive had the big bang since the first week it was out and its a great motherboard biggrin.gif OC's pretty well, highest i got on some my other motherboards (evga and another cant remember what it was off the top my head) was around 3.6-3.9, picked up the big bang and managed to get it up to ~4.1-4.2.
Only downside i feel with the board was when i tried a 3way + single slot physx, from what i have been told it seems depending on the number of cards set up you can only use certain pci-e lanes, so how its set up you cant stick a 1 slot physx gpu between the second and third card frown.gif although its not nessisaryally a downside, it would have been nice to do so since i had an extra card redface.gif
sry, just finished a 6 hour drive so, this post is kinda thrown together, pardon grammer typos etc tongue.gif

Thanks for the info smile.gif! I am trying to get my hands on this deal and we'll see what happens. I unfortunately do not have the slew of GPU's that this board could take advantage of, but I'm sure I'll be able to procure them sometime in the near future smile.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4720HQ Razer nVidia GTX 970m Integrated RAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
M.2 SSD Windows 10 Professional Integrated Integrated 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Trackpad/Razer Mamba/Razer Orochi Corsair (portable)/Steelseries (Desk) Integrated Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4720HQ Razer nVidia GTX 970m Integrated RAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
M.2 SSD Windows 10 Professional Integrated Integrated 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Trackpad/Razer Mamba/Razer Orochi Corsair (portable)/Steelseries (Desk) Integrated Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 19
great deal imo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Intel Core i7 920 + MSI Big Bang Mobo for $200 a good deal?