Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [playeraffinity] Half Life 3, Portal 3, or Left 4 Dead 3: Gabe Newell’s Cryptic Message
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[playeraffinity] Half Life 3, Portal 3, or Left 4 Dead 3: Gabe Newell’s Cryptic Message - Page 14

post #131 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

Seriously anyone that can play hl2, ep 1+2 and not come away impressed is someone I don't understand. Only game that has made me care about the story ever. Add ace gameplay on top of that and you have a classic. I replay the Half-Life games every couple years because they are just that good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

Yeah I don't even understand that. They're in the same universe. Your the first person I've literally ever met that likes one but not the other.
I think Episode 2 is the best five hours of FPS gameplay ever created to be honest. A lot of people feel that way and that's the reason 3 is so highly anticipated.

I'm one that played Half Life 2 and was so thoroughly bored I've yet to finish the game. I played a good solid 8 hours on and off and it's just a typical first person shooter with horribly unsmooth mechanics. The story that everyone hails as so amazing was not good enough to give me the desire to force myself to keep playing the boring game play to see what would happen.

The way physics were used in the game was neat the first 100 times I was forced to use them to solve some stupid puzzle but by the 101'st time it was obvious Valve was so happy with them self with coming up with them that they were going to shove them down your throat every 15 minutes.

I for the life of me just cannot fathom why the game is so damn popular. Maybe it was because the Half Life series was simply one of the first fps to actually incorporate a somewhat solid story into it's gameplay, so many saw that as groundbreaking.

Portal on the other hand I DID enjoy. It was straight up a puzzle game and it had light humor and never once took itself seriously. As far as I'm concerned Portal and Steam are the only worthwhile Valve contributions to the gaming world.

All of this is just my opinion. I don't think anyone is crazy or stupid for liking Half Life. In fact I wish I could love the game and enjoy it as much as many seem to!
post #132 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexa View Post

I'm one that played Half Life 2 and was so thoroughly bored I've yet to finish the game. I played a good solid 8 hours on and off and it's just a typical first person shooter with horribly unsmooth mechanics. The story that everyone hails as so amazing was not good enough to give me the desire to force myself to keep playing the boring game play to see what would happen.
The way physics were used in the game was neat the first 100 times I was forced to use them to solve some stupid puzzle but by the 101'st time it was obvious Valve was so happy with them self with coming up with them that they were going to shove them down your throat every 15 minutes.
I for the life of me just cannot fathom why the game is so damn popular. Maybe it was because the Half Life series was simply one of the first fps to actually incorporate a somewhat solid story into it's gameplay, so many saw that as groundbreaking.
Portal on the other hand I DID enjoy. It was straight up a puzzle game and it had light humor and never once took itself seriously. As far as I'm concerned Portal and Steam are the only worthwhile Valve contributions to the gaming world.
All of this is just my opinion. I don't think anyone is crazy or stupid for liking Half Life. In fact I wish I could love the game and enjoy it as much as many seem to!

1. The game came out in 2005. Context is important. All those lame physics puzzles you are complaining about were groundbreaking at the time.

2. The gameplay is fine. The shooting feels good. It has a great shotgun. Don't understand your point here.

3. I'll give you that the game could be paced better. The driving sections in particular were kind of lame.

4. The story is amazing. I'd be curious to know what game stories you find enjoyable if you couldn't get into HL2. It's the way the game makes you work for the story that's so awesome. Listening to annoucements over the loud speaker, looking at newspaper clippings on the wall. It's really deep but only if you look for it.

Anyway I'm not saying everyone has to like Half-Life 2 but I don't understand how you could go through Ravenholm and think nahhh this game is boring I'm going back to COD. The atmosphere is just unmatched by anything to this day.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #133 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausageson View Post


I guess you need to learn to read, you will see why I did not enjoy halflife 2, and why I point out the source engine gfx are dated. Or you can continue being ignorant.

I know how to read. If I didn't I wouldn't be responding. Perhaps you meant 'comprehension'? In that case I comprehend and understand everything you're spouting!

Let's back track. You don't like the Source engine graphics (because they're dated) nor do you like HL1/2 because of the physics puzzles and the way the guns shoot, or something to that effect. You still haven't answered my question, that which you quoted. Care to?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #134 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasteR View Post

Why a new engine when graphical improvements can be added to the current engine? They've said multiple times, they will not be moving away from the current engine and instead improving it graphically.
You guys really underestimate how much you can keep on building on a engine to make it look good.

The engine is showing it's age and has been since...2007. It's 2012 if you remember correctly, all their added features STILL don't bring the graphics up to date. See Left 4 Dead 2, and Portal II. Obviously it isn't all about the graphics, but this is just laziness...Same engine for 8 years? Get real, time to move on. This isn't Call Of Duty. tongue.gif
post #135 of 179
Portal 2 and the L4D games look good though. Better then a lot of AAA games that come out everyday.

It's not Crysis but then again Valve games always have ace gameplay and best in industry writing so who cares?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #136 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulerxx View Post


The engine is showing it's age and has been since...2007. It's 2012 if you remember correctly, all their added features STILL don't bring the graphics up to date. See Left 4 Dead 2, and Portal II. Obviously it isn't all about the graphics, but this is just laziness...Same engine for 8 years? Get real, time to move on. This isn't Call Of Duty. tongue.gif

CS 1.6 and CS:S would disagree with you, in terms of game play, longevity, etc. Isn't there a reason there are so few games left on all of the other titles (I'm thinking of you COD, BF, etc...), yet the Counter-Strike crowd still sees massive play in comparison to this day? tongue.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #137 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

Portal 2 and the L4D games look good though. Better then a lot of AAA games that come out everyday.
It's not Crysis but then again Valve games always have ace gameplay and best in industry writing so who cares?

I wouldn't say good nor bad, it's playable. Could be way better, most console games even outclassed the source games in the graphics department, another good example is CS:GO, CS:S came out in 2004....8 years later, the new CS looks nearly identical with minor lighting and texture upgrades.
post #138 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

1. The game came out in 2005. Context is important. All those lame physics puzzles you are complaining about were groundbreaking at the time.
2. The gameplay is fine. The shooting feels good. It has a great shotgun. Don't understand your point here.
3. I'll give you that the game could be paced better. The driving sections in particular were kind of lame.
4. The story is amazing. I'd be curious to know what game stories you find enjoyable if you couldn't get into HL2. It's the way the game makes you work for the story that's so awesome. Listening to annoucements over the loud speaker, looking at newspaper clippings on the wall. It's really deep but only if you look for it.
Anyway I'm not saying everyone has to like Half-Life 2 but I don't understand how you could go through Ravenholm and think nahhh this game is boring I'm going back to COD. The atmosphere is just unmatched by anything to this day.

1. I understand it came out awhile back and even if those puzzles were groundbreaking at the time they STILL get boring. Regardless I'm about to hit 30 so I've been gaming for years and I can completely understand the context. Doesn't change the fact that the gameplay itself was boring imo and I get much more enjoyment out of Quake II or Unreal Tournament 2k4.

2. The shooting feels good if you aren't used to absolute precision and fast paced gameplay like in the Quake or Unreal series.

3. I don't disagree at all. The pacing was bad and is a main reason I've yet to finish the game.

4. The story I can't really argue with if only because something like that is so subjective. Some people love the movie Edward Scissorhands but I hate it you know? To me I just found it to be somewhat lacking. As far as games whose stories I like I'd say almost any Bioware game. To this day Mass Effect 1 is my favorite single player game ever. The story being a HUGE part of that. I do feel like the story dropped off some come 2 though. I also honestly (and here come the flames I'm sure) much prefer the Halo story over Half Life. It's really not as generic as people think and they have so much back story involving all the races that I find it intriguing.

I guess in short with the exception of Mass Effect I actually prefer stories in games that aren't all that deep and crazy. Not because I don't love story but that I prefer to game when I play games. If I want a great story I'll read a book,watch a movie or play Mass Effect smile.gif

But lastly I'll just say that pc gaming got me into this hobby. Since Wolfenstein 3d I was hooked. Moved to Doom, Quake and the Unreals. You see to me FPS were all about extremely fast speed and non stop bang em up action. I still feel this today. So along comes Half Life which slows everything down and adds a thing called story to my precious fps and it's borderline sacrilege to me. I seriously blame Half Life for all the "story" focused fps that come out now. God I wish a new Quake or Unreal would come out with a HUGE budget that was about nothing but fragging smile.gif
post #139 of 179
Half-Life 1 was built on the Quake engine and Source still has Quake code ironically enough. In fact in terms of movement speed Half-Life 2 is much faster then most shooters. I can see your complaint if your one of those guys that was super into those type of games back in the day. Half-Life is a story driven FPS it's almost a completely different Genre then an arena based shooter. I liked arena shooters as well but personally I actually think FPS has moved in the right direction. It's evolved and a lot of people don't like it but I think it's for the best.

BTW totally agree with you on Edward Scissorhands, lol.

But anyway I find Halo enjoyable for completely different reasons then the story and Mass Effect I don't even know what I think after the third one. To each his own. I think Half-Life 2 though is probabally one of the five best games ever made. Episode 2 in particular is just amazing but I kind of consider the episodes to be the same game.

I think what seperates Half-Life story from other gaming stories is that the writing is just on a different level. Valve's writers I think are unmatched in the game industry. Even devs like Bioware I don't think have nearly the quality of writing in their games. I include the Portal games in that too. Portal 1 and 2 are probabally the wittiest and funniest games I've ever played.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #140 of 179
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulerxx View Post

The engine is showing it's age and has been since...2007. It's 2012 if you remember correctly, all their added features STILL don't bring the graphics up to date. See Left 4 Dead 2, and Portal II. Obviously it isn't all about the graphics, but this is just laziness...Same engine for 8 years? Get real, time to move on. This isn't Call Of Duty. tongue.gif

You're still completely ignoring the fact that engines can be upgraded to the point where they can compete with other graphically superior AAA titles. Engines can be upgraded, look at CoD for example.

Quake 3 engine (id Tech 3) > Call of Duty 1 (id Tech 3) > Call of Duty 2 (IW Engine 2.0) (OpenGL to DirectX) > Call of Duty 4 (IW Engine 4.0)

Still the same engine technically, but continued to be built on to improve the graphics.
^_^
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua D14 Asus VG248QE Corsair TX 750 V2 Corsair 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G400, MX518, G500, G5, IMO 1.1, IME 3.0, Deatha... fUnC 1030, QCK+, QCK Heavy, PureTrak Talent Whi... X-Fi Titanium HD Sennheiser HD555 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2.4GHz Intel HD 4000 8GB 256GB SSD 
Monitor
2880 x 1800 Retina 
  hide details  
Reply
^_^
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua D14 Asus VG248QE Corsair TX 750 V2 Corsair 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G400, MX518, G500, G5, IMO 1.1, IME 3.0, Deatha... fUnC 1030, QCK+, QCK Heavy, PureTrak Talent Whi... X-Fi Titanium HD Sennheiser HD555 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2.4GHz Intel HD 4000 8GB 256GB SSD 
Monitor
2880 x 1800 Retina 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [playeraffinity] Half Life 3, Portal 3, or Left 4 Dead 3: Gabe Newell’s Cryptic Message