Originally Posted by 2010rig
Apple is by far the King of Patent Trolling. You being an Apple fan can't accept this fact.
But I'll play along with your statement...
If the current King is Kodak, what does that make Apple?
In a court filing on Tuesday in New York federal bankruptcy court, Apple said it wanted to file a complaint against Kodak at the International Trade Commission.
Apple said the suit would seek to ban Kodak from importing various products, such as printers and digital cameras, that it believes infringes its patents.
1. Apple doesn't sell printers, yet Kodak is infringing on Apple's patents?
2. Kodak INVENTED the digital camera, 'nuff said.
Kodak's ONLY financial goal as a company is to sue everyone in order to stay afloat, even as they are hitting bankruptcy due to failing to make a product anyone wants to use in the past 15 years. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/01/kodak-declares-bankruptcy-presses-on-with-patent-suits-digital-strategy.ars
Apple is also getting out of hand with lawsuits to try and prevent other companies from copying them but they're no where near as bad as Kodak.
Kodak is one of the oldest patent trolls in the industry who has a history of suing anyone and everyone making cameras to fund their $3B
in protection racket fees since 2003. Look at the past 50 years of the company and how many lawsuits they've been in. The one you're referring to above, is a countersuit after being sued by Kodak originally and preventing them from selling off IP to other companies before paying royalties. Your ignorance of Apple's IP portfolio is the problem here. They aren't suing over the printing process, but features that Kodak is including
with their cameras and printers that infringe on their patents.
What company hasn't Kodak sued though? That's a better question. Kodak has re-sued Apple, again, along with HTC, Research In Motion, and Samsung after
filing for bankruptcy, mainly over the use of how smartphones use and send digital images. Generic features which are in use by almost all smartphones with cameras. These particular patents in question:
- U.S. Patent No. 6,292,218 – “Electronic Camera For Initiating Capture of Still Images While Previewing Motion Images”
- U.S. Patent No. 7,210,161 – “Automatically Transmitting Images from an Electronic Camera to a Service Provider Using a Network Configuration File”
- U.S. Patent No. 7,742,084 – “Network Configuration File for Automatically Transmitting Images from an Electronic Still Camera”
- U.S. Patent No. 7,453,605 – “Capturing Digital Images to be Transferred to an E-Mail Address”
- U.S. Patent No. 7,936,391 – “Digital Camera with Communications Interface for Selectively Transmitting Images over a Cellular Phone Network and a Wireless LAN Network to a Destination”
Capturing Digital Images to be Transferred to an E-Mail Address?? Can it get any more vague than that? Suing right after you file for bankruptcy? Telling the court that your financial goals to recoup money will be from patent trolling?
This should give you a better idea of some of the recent lawsuits:
I don't even need to go over the widely documented race discrimination of employees by Kodak either, do I?Edited by PoopaScoopa - 4/30/12 at 2:45pm