Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 690 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] NVIDIA GTX 690 Owners Club - Page 79

post #781 of 5541
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainMan View Post

What voltages are you guys running?

The GTX 690 is voltage-capped at 1.175mv.

The max power target = the limit of the voltage capping - so, if you ever use the full 35% TDP overhead...it means the card is at its 1.175mv limit.

Just know that upping the Power Target to the max of 135% doesn't mean you'll actually use 35% more power than TDP in all cases - it just gives you that headroom to do so. The card will only use as much power as it needs, so, if you set a core and memory offset that it will try to attain and it needs less than 135% power target, it will dynamically use voltage only as needed.

Personally, I leave it at just 135% PT. The way boost works for the 600 series is that you may not even need to set core/mem offsets for an OC - simply raising the power target will make the card boost on its own and give you a performance boost within your PT range.

By the way, the maximum 135% Power Target is absolutely, completely safe. This is actually a rather conservative voltage setting, so setting it to the maximum isn't even beginning to tap into the power of GK104 (at the expense of increased temps and power consumption of course).

In theory, Nvidia could have probably gotten away with using our current max voltage cap of 1.175mv for stock, but again, they wanted to be conservative with voltages and clock speeds to stay well within the TDP and keep the low temp. range (and also avoid any possible 590-esque scenarios). That's the amazing part about all of this is that the stock of performance of these cards could have been the OC's we're hitting now, and even after keeping them choked a little, they still manage to pull completely beastly numbers and ridiculous performance. thumb.gif
Edited by jcde7ago - 5/11/12 at 10:51pm
Apotheosis
(31 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X @ 4.6 Ghz (1.32v) ASUS X99-Deluxe 3x GTX Titan X 12GB in Tri-SLI 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133 (4x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
1x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (OS) 4x Crucial M4 256GB SSD 14x Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 2x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 480mm Rads (1x top mo... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x Alphacool NexXxos UT60 240mm Rads (1x front ... PrimoChill Rigid Acrylic tubing (White), Advanc... Various rigid compression fittings and valves 3x EK-FC Titan X Nickel/Acetal GPU Blocks (Black) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
2x EK-RAM Monarch X4 Nickel/Acetal CSQ RAM Bloc... 4x EK-RAM Monarch Module (Black) EK-XTOP w/ Dual D5 Pumps, EK-X3 250 Res, EK-D5 ... Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Acer XB270HU 2560x1440p 27" IPS + 144hz + G-... Logitech G19 EVGA SuperNova P2 1600W CaseLabs SMA8 (Gunmetal Exterior/Black Interior... 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech Proteus G502 Logitech G440 AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Headphones w/... UltimateEars TripleFi 10vi IEMs 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Speakers FiiO E09K Amp FiiO E17 DAC NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller 
OtherOther
NZXT HUE RGB LED Controller NZXT Aperture M Multi-Media Bay 
  hide details  
Reply
Apotheosis
(31 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X @ 4.6 Ghz (1.32v) ASUS X99-Deluxe 3x GTX Titan X 12GB in Tri-SLI 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133 (4x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
1x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (OS) 4x Crucial M4 256GB SSD 14x Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 2x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 480mm Rads (1x top mo... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x Alphacool NexXxos UT60 240mm Rads (1x front ... PrimoChill Rigid Acrylic tubing (White), Advanc... Various rigid compression fittings and valves 3x EK-FC Titan X Nickel/Acetal GPU Blocks (Black) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
2x EK-RAM Monarch X4 Nickel/Acetal CSQ RAM Bloc... 4x EK-RAM Monarch Module (Black) EK-XTOP w/ Dual D5 Pumps, EK-X3 250 Res, EK-D5 ... Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Acer XB270HU 2560x1440p 27" IPS + 144hz + G-... Logitech G19 EVGA SuperNova P2 1600W CaseLabs SMA8 (Gunmetal Exterior/Black Interior... 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech Proteus G502 Logitech G440 AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Headphones w/... UltimateEars TripleFi 10vi IEMs 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Speakers FiiO E09K Amp FiiO E17 DAC NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller 
OtherOther
NZXT HUE RGB LED Controller NZXT Aperture M Multi-Media Bay 
  hide details  
Reply
post #782 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcde7ago View Post

Here is the thread:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1235557/official-top-30-heaven-benchmark-3-0-scores/
And yes, even with Quad-SLI, you will still qualify. Just make sure you read and follow all the requirements for score submissions. Good luck man, can't wait to see what Quad-SLI with a pair of 690s can do! thumb.gif

My Unigine score at 1080p alone is good enough for 2nd place on that chart...lowering the resolution to match the requirements might get me to number 1, not sure just yet. I am still trying to find a good OC for my cards. It looks like 130 offset and default on the memory is a no go for me. I tend to run Unigine at least 8-10 runs before thinking it is good and on run #8 it crashed. So I dialed back to +120 which previously was solid and it currently is on run #8 with a +200 on the memory. Temps yet again are excellent with the highest temp being 67c.

I am going to give it 2-3 more runs and then do one for the leaderboard to see how I fair. If the 690's are like my 680's then once a solid core offset is found memory usually can go a bit further. On my 680's once I found that +100 offset in SLI was the magic number I was able to get to +400 on the memory. I think I can achieve the same here.

As it stands right now, my max offset and final OC for my 680's in SLI was +100 on the offset which gave me a base core clock of 1106. Right now, on the GTX 690's in SLI I am at +120 for a base clock of 1035, so -71 on the core base...HOWEVER...and this a good HOWEVER...my best boost clock on my 680's in SLI was 1178....Right now on the 690's in SLI I am hitting 1189 and at times it spikes to 1200.
post #783 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcde7ago View Post

The GTX 690 is voltage-capped at 1.175mv.
The max power target = the limit of the voltage capping - so, if you ever use the full 35% TDP overhead...it means the card is at its 1.175mv limit.
Just know that upping the Power Target to the max of 135% doesn't mean you'll actually use 35% more power than TDP in all cases - it just gives you that headroom to do so. The card will only use as much power as it needs, so, if you set a core and memory offset that it will try to attain and it needs less than 135% power target, it will dynamically use voltage only as needed.
Personally, I leave it at just 135% PT. The way boost works for the 600 series is that you may not even need to set core/mem offsets for an OC - simply raising the power target will make the card boost on its own and give you a performance boost within your PT range.
By the way, the maximum 135% Power Target is absolutely, completely safe. This is actually a rather conservative voltage setting, so setting it to the maximum isn't even beginning to tap into the power of GK104 (at the expense of increased temps and power consumption of course).
In theory, Nvidia could have probably gotten away with using our current max voltage cap of 1.175mv for stock, but again, they wanted to be conservative with voltages and clock speeds to stay well within the TDP and keep the low temp. range (and also avoid any possible 590-esque scenarios). That's the amazing part about all of this is that the stock of performance of these cards could have been the OC's we're hitting now, and even after keeping them choked a little, they still manage to pull completely beastly numbers and ridiculous performance. thumb.gif

Well said. In addition, in a few reviews of the 690 they found setting the power target to 135% would level the two GPU's. With my 680's I noticed that one GPU would clock higher than the other and rarely would they be in sync. When I mazed the power to 132% the 2 cards synced up pretty well...there would still be some fluxuation, but for the most part they were in perfect harmony. Testing the 690 I found the same thing. This is not like the 590 where people were blowing them up being a bit to aggressive with voltages...since they cap it a 1.175 hit max power is no issue at all.

Water cooling the cards wont help too much in achieving a higher clock unless you are already going above 70c with your overclock. The 600 series can throttle back a bit once temps exceed 70c...I do notice a bit less throttling on the 690's than the 680's...but with a good fan profile you can keep it under 70c and still get a hell of an OC. Water will definately help with the temps and if and when they allow a bit more voltage is where water will really make these cards sing because it will help keep temps in check.
post #784 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supper View Post


Side note, gtx 680 will be fully available end of this month as my favorite retailer told me so that goes for 690 as well. thumb.gif

Are you really sure about this? It's almost mid May and still no sign of 690s availability except EVGA.com put up like a couple every day.
My system
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K 6core Asus X99-A GTX 970 4x4 16g DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x WD 500Gb Caviar Black Raid 0 LG DVD Burner Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 30" U3014 Monitor Razer Lycosa Mirror Edition Enermax Galaxy DXX 850W NZXT Switch 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Gigabyte Ghost Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
My system
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K 6core Asus X99-A GTX 970 4x4 16g DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x WD 500Gb Caviar Black Raid 0 LG DVD Burner Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 30" U3014 Monitor Razer Lycosa Mirror Edition Enermax Galaxy DXX 850W NZXT Switch 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Gigabyte Ghost Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #785 of 5541
Just catching up on the last 11 pages, anyone believe there will be non reference model? I am waiting patiently for it to come back into stock, though i am planning to slap a water block on there when they're out....it would be a shame to take of the metal casing because it looks gorgeous!!!!!!
My Switch 810
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI z68-GD65 MSI 560ti Hawk x2 SLI Corsair Vengeance 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Blu Ray Burner Corsair H100 Windows 7 Pro Dell Ultra Sharp U2312 x3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
i-rocks white mini keyboard Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 NZXT Avatar S White 
Mouse Pad
Guild Wars 2 
  hide details  
Reply
My Switch 810
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI z68-GD65 MSI 560ti Hawk x2 SLI Corsair Vengeance 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Blu Ray Burner Corsair H100 Windows 7 Pro Dell Ultra Sharp U2312 x3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
i-rocks white mini keyboard Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 NZXT Avatar S White 
Mouse Pad
Guild Wars 2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #786 of 5541
Canada NCIX has the Asus GTX 690 in stock for $1099.99 as of 12:25am:



http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=71419&vpn=GTX690%2D4GD5&manufacture=ASUS
post #787 of 5541
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateless View Post

My Unigine score at 1080p alone is good enough for 2nd place on that chart...lowering the resolution to match the requirements might get me to number 1, not sure just yet. I am still trying to find a good OC for my cards. It looks like 130 offset and default on the memory is a no go for me. I tend to run Unigine at least 8-10 runs before thinking it is good and on run #8 it crashed. So I dialed back to +120 which previously was solid and it currently is on run #8 with a +200 on the memory. Temps yet again are excellent with the highest temp being 67c.
I am going to give it 2-3 more runs and then do one for the leaderboard to see how I fair. If the 690's are like my 680's then once a solid core offset is found memory usually can go a bit further. On my 680's once I found that +100 offset in SLI was the magic number I was able to get to +400 on the memory. I think I can achieve the same here.
As it stands right now, my max offset and final OC for my 680's in SLI was +100 on the offset which gave me a base core clock of 1106. Right now, on the GTX 690's in SLI I am at +120 for a base clock of 1035, so -71 on the core base...HOWEVER...and this a good HOWEVER...my best boost clock on my 680's in SLI was 1178....Right now on the 690's in SLI I am hitting 1189 and at times it spikes to 1200.

That's awesome man...there was never a doubt that quad-sli with 690s would churn out some pretty jaw-dropping numbers. thumb.gif

Also, as much as people were talking smack about the 690 not being to overclock as well as the 680...i've been reading a LOT of 680 OC threads on various forums, and it seems to me like an average OC for the 680 is only around the +110-120 Core Offset range...and yet our 690s can easily hit the same. And then some. So again...the 690...is nothing short of a beast of a card. smile.gif
Edited by jcde7ago - 5/11/12 at 11:32pm
Apotheosis
(31 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X @ 4.6 Ghz (1.32v) ASUS X99-Deluxe 3x GTX Titan X 12GB in Tri-SLI 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133 (4x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
1x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (OS) 4x Crucial M4 256GB SSD 14x Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 2x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 480mm Rads (1x top mo... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x Alphacool NexXxos UT60 240mm Rads (1x front ... PrimoChill Rigid Acrylic tubing (White), Advanc... Various rigid compression fittings and valves 3x EK-FC Titan X Nickel/Acetal GPU Blocks (Black) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
2x EK-RAM Monarch X4 Nickel/Acetal CSQ RAM Bloc... 4x EK-RAM Monarch Module (Black) EK-XTOP w/ Dual D5 Pumps, EK-X3 250 Res, EK-D5 ... Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Acer XB270HU 2560x1440p 27" IPS + 144hz + G-... Logitech G19 EVGA SuperNova P2 1600W CaseLabs SMA8 (Gunmetal Exterior/Black Interior... 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech Proteus G502 Logitech G440 AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Headphones w/... UltimateEars TripleFi 10vi IEMs 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Speakers FiiO E09K Amp FiiO E17 DAC NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller 
OtherOther
NZXT HUE RGB LED Controller NZXT Aperture M Multi-Media Bay 
  hide details  
Reply
Apotheosis
(31 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X @ 4.6 Ghz (1.32v) ASUS X99-Deluxe 3x GTX Titan X 12GB in Tri-SLI 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133 (4x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
1x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (OS) 4x Crucial M4 256GB SSD 14x Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 2x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 480mm Rads (1x top mo... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x Alphacool NexXxos UT60 240mm Rads (1x front ... PrimoChill Rigid Acrylic tubing (White), Advanc... Various rigid compression fittings and valves 3x EK-FC Titan X Nickel/Acetal GPU Blocks (Black) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
2x EK-RAM Monarch X4 Nickel/Acetal CSQ RAM Bloc... 4x EK-RAM Monarch Module (Black) EK-XTOP w/ Dual D5 Pumps, EK-X3 250 Res, EK-D5 ... Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Acer XB270HU 2560x1440p 27" IPS + 144hz + G-... Logitech G19 EVGA SuperNova P2 1600W CaseLabs SMA8 (Gunmetal Exterior/Black Interior... 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech Proteus G502 Logitech G440 AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Headphones w/... UltimateEars TripleFi 10vi IEMs 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Speakers FiiO E09K Amp FiiO E17 DAC NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller 
OtherOther
NZXT HUE RGB LED Controller NZXT Aperture M Multi-Media Bay 
  hide details  
Reply
post #788 of 5541
Wow jcde7ago, those are some stellar numbers.

Though, you surpassed my 680 SLI Heaven score by 2 points, but I'm still 2000+ over your graphics score on 3DMark11. Maybe the drivers made a difference in Heaven (was using 301.10 I believe). Wish I could test those two right now to see if there is an improvement.

Keep up-ing the clock and find out what the max is before Heaven crashes.
post #789 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcde7ago View Post

That's awesome man...there was never a doubt that quad-sli with 690s would be churn out some pretty jaw-dropping numbers. thumb.gif
Also, as much as people were talking smack about the 690 not being to overclock as well as the 680...i've been reading a LOT of 680 OC threads on various forums, and it seems to me like an average OC for the 680 is only around the +110-120 Core Offset range...and yet our 690s can easily hit the same. And then some. So again...the 690...is nothing short of a beast of a card. smile.gif

True, but you have to take into account a stock 680 is starting at a base of 1006mhz, while our 690 are at a base of 915. So when a 680 user is able to go +150 there base clock is 1156. On a 690 a +150 would net a 1065 which is -91 core clock deficit. However, I owned my 680's since launch and I can say that even though I was able to reach a core clock higher on them than I can on the 690, my boost clock on the 690 is higher (slightly) than the 680's.

680's core clocks are 1006mhz with a boost of 1058mhz which equals: +52 mhz when boost at standard power level.
690's core clocks are 915 mhz with a boost of 1019 mhx which equals: +104 mhz when boost at standard power level

There is a difference of 52 mhz on default 680 vs. 690 boost...which leads me back to my own tests where my core OC is lower than my 680's, yet my boost is higher than my 680's.
post #790 of 5541
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateless View Post

True, but you have to take into account a stock 680 is starting at a base of 1006mhz, while our 690 are at a base of 915. So when a 680 user is able to go +150 there base clock is 1156. On a 690 a +150 would net a 1065 which is -91 core clock deficit. However, I owned my 680's since launch and I can say that even though I was able to reach a core clock higher on them than I can on the 690, my boost clock on the 690 is higher (slightly) than the 680's.
680's core clocks are 1006mhz with a boost of 1058mhz which equals: +52 mhz when boost at standard power level.
690's core clocks are 915 mhz with a boost of 1019 mhx which equals: +104 mhz when boost at standard power level
There is a difference of 52 mhz on default 680 vs. 690 boost...which leads me back to my own tests where my core OC is lower than my 680's, yet my boost is higher than my 680's.

Makes sense. thumb.gif
Apotheosis
(31 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X @ 4.6 Ghz (1.32v) ASUS X99-Deluxe 3x GTX Titan X 12GB in Tri-SLI 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133 (4x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
1x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (OS) 4x Crucial M4 256GB SSD 14x Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 2x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 480mm Rads (1x top mo... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x Alphacool NexXxos UT60 240mm Rads (1x front ... PrimoChill Rigid Acrylic tubing (White), Advanc... Various rigid compression fittings and valves 3x EK-FC Titan X Nickel/Acetal GPU Blocks (Black) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
2x EK-RAM Monarch X4 Nickel/Acetal CSQ RAM Bloc... 4x EK-RAM Monarch Module (Black) EK-XTOP w/ Dual D5 Pumps, EK-X3 250 Res, EK-D5 ... Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Acer XB270HU 2560x1440p 27" IPS + 144hz + G-... Logitech G19 EVGA SuperNova P2 1600W CaseLabs SMA8 (Gunmetal Exterior/Black Interior... 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech Proteus G502 Logitech G440 AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Headphones w/... UltimateEars TripleFi 10vi IEMs 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Speakers FiiO E09K Amp FiiO E17 DAC NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller 
OtherOther
NZXT HUE RGB LED Controller NZXT Aperture M Multi-Media Bay 
  hide details  
Reply
Apotheosis
(31 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X @ 4.6 Ghz (1.32v) ASUS X99-Deluxe 3x GTX Titan X 12GB in Tri-SLI 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133 (4x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
1x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (OS) 4x Crucial M4 256GB SSD 14x Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 2x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 480mm Rads (1x top mo... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x Alphacool NexXxos UT60 240mm Rads (1x front ... PrimoChill Rigid Acrylic tubing (White), Advanc... Various rigid compression fittings and valves 3x EK-FC Titan X Nickel/Acetal GPU Blocks (Black) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
2x EK-RAM Monarch X4 Nickel/Acetal CSQ RAM Bloc... 4x EK-RAM Monarch Module (Black) EK-XTOP w/ Dual D5 Pumps, EK-X3 250 Res, EK-D5 ... Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Acer XB270HU 2560x1440p 27" IPS + 144hz + G-... Logitech G19 EVGA SuperNova P2 1600W CaseLabs SMA8 (Gunmetal Exterior/Black Interior... 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech Proteus G502 Logitech G440 AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Headphones w/... UltimateEars TripleFi 10vi IEMs 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Speakers FiiO E09K Amp FiiO E17 DAC NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller 
OtherOther
NZXT HUE RGB LED Controller NZXT Aperture M Multi-Media Bay 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 690 Owners Club