Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Ivy Bridge Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Ivy Bridge Owners Thread - Page 462

Poll Results: Which Ivy Bridge CPU did you buy?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 50% of voters (692)
    i5 3570k
  • 43% of voters (586)
    i7 3770k
  • 6% of voters (91)
    Other
1362 Total Votes  
post #4611 of 7362
Yeah, poor guy...You're killing it! tongue.gif
Keep it as a ln2 rig, and get a proper quad. Sounds like you could use a 3770k, for your needs.
You don't really need the extreme/formula/gene boards unless you're going cold with ln2 or dice. An Msi z77 Mpower is a great choice, same as the Gigabyte z77x boards (up4/5/7, ud3h/ud5h) or the Asrock OC Formula. Even with those you can do that pretty well too wink.gif
post #4612 of 7362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlabrie View Post

Yeah, poor guy...You're killing it! tongue.gif
Keep it as a ln2 rig, and get a proper quad. Sounds like you could use a 3770k, for your needs.
You don't really need the extreme/formula/gene boards unless you're going cold with ln2 or dice. An Msi z77 Mpower is a great choice, same as the Gigabyte z77x boards (up4/5/7, ud3h/ud5h) or the Asrock OC Formula. Even with those you can do that pretty well too wink.gif

well the box i have now i can just throw server on it and an LSI RAID card and stuff 6 HDDs in it and have it as a home server.

Reason for the formula is the watter cooling....i want to get back into it...as i said the plan would be a Case labs SMH10...and another 7950 all under watter....but progressivly....like first get the 2nd 7950...then the case...then later all the WCing hardware.

My worry is that haswell being supposedly so close but its always like this with hardare anyway right lol
Ov3RK11L
(15 items)
 
Project Toaster
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-661 4.2Ghz 24/7 Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Sapphire HD7950 950mhz OC Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair F60 SSD + WD 500GB black LG burner Antech Kuhler 620 w/ NoiseBlocker fan Win 7 Ult. 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 24" LED LCD 1920X1080 Logitech G510 600W 80+ Lian Li PC-Q08B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
R.A.T 7  Frys?? lol onboard..ohh yahhhhhhh  
  hide details  
Reply
Ov3RK11L
(15 items)
 
Project Toaster
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-661 4.2Ghz 24/7 Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Sapphire HD7950 950mhz OC Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair F60 SSD + WD 500GB black LG burner Antech Kuhler 620 w/ NoiseBlocker fan Win 7 Ult. 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 24" LED LCD 1920X1080 Logitech G510 600W 80+ Lian Li PC-Q08B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
R.A.T 7  Frys?? lol onboard..ohh yahhhhhhh  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4613 of 7362
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-jose View Post

well the box i have now i can just throw server on it and an LSI RAID card and stuff 6 HDDs in it and have it as a home server.
Reason for the formula is the watter cooling....i want to get back into it...as i said the plan would be a Case labs SMH10...and another 7950 all under watter....but progressivly....like first get the 2nd 7950...then the case...then later all the WCing hardware.
My worry is that haswell being supposedly so close but its always like this with hardare anyway right lol

Go straight to intel and look up the haswell information. Then its all up to your ideas an imagination. We can persuade you but remember this is your rig...so your dream! thumb.gif never let anyone push your ideas out of something, because that's what makes us who we are!
post #4614 of 7362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgaur View Post

Go straight to intel and look up the haswell information. Then its all up to your ideas an imagination. We can persuade you but remember this is your rig...so your dream! thumb.gif never let anyone push your ideas out of something, because that's what makes us who we are!

I know but I trust my OCN bretherin to guid me in the right path....I will de lid it and if i kill it well 2500Ks are cheap lol

But Haswell isn't until Q2 of 2013 right?? So I think Ivy would be alright...I mean I dont have to have the uber hardware....if that were the case I would be asking about a 3930K and Rampage Extreme.

i just want something to game on....i dont really do THAT much video encoding, Just a lil bit. I mean I could rool with a 3570K if need be but I just want something that is going to last me a while and primarally play games.....thats where its at for me.....and fold too....i want to get into that as well. biggrin.gif
Ov3RK11L
(15 items)
 
Project Toaster
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-661 4.2Ghz 24/7 Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Sapphire HD7950 950mhz OC Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair F60 SSD + WD 500GB black LG burner Antech Kuhler 620 w/ NoiseBlocker fan Win 7 Ult. 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 24" LED LCD 1920X1080 Logitech G510 600W 80+ Lian Li PC-Q08B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
R.A.T 7  Frys?? lol onboard..ohh yahhhhhhh  
  hide details  
Reply
Ov3RK11L
(15 items)
 
Project Toaster
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-661 4.2Ghz 24/7 Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Sapphire HD7950 950mhz OC Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair F60 SSD + WD 500GB black LG burner Antech Kuhler 620 w/ NoiseBlocker fan Win 7 Ult. 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 24" LED LCD 1920X1080 Logitech G510 600W 80+ Lian Li PC-Q08B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
R.A.T 7  Frys?? lol onboard..ohh yahhhhhhh  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4615 of 7362
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-jose View Post

I know but I trust my OCN bretherin to guid me in the right path....I will de lid it and if i kill it well 2500Ks are cheap lol
But Haswell isn't until Q2 of 2013 right?? So I think Ivy would be alright...I mean I dont have to have the uber hardware....if that were the case I would be asking about a 3930K and Rampage Extreme.
i just want something to game on....i dont really do THAT much video encoding, Just a lil bit. I mean I could rool with a 3570K if need be but I just want something that is going to last me a while and primarally play games.....thats where its at for me.....and fold too....i want to get into that as well. biggrin.gif

3770k sounds about right wink.gif
I actually think the 3930k is only more expensive, not really 'better'. Better for folding and multi thread scenarios, but nothing more really...Clock per clock Ivy's faster. I consider the premium Asus boards over the top btw...Plus, their customer support sucks.
post #4616 of 7362
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-jose View Post

I know but I trust my OCN bretherin to guid me in the right path....I will de lid it and if i kill it well 2500Ks are cheap lol
But Haswell isn't until Q2 of 2013 right?? So I think Ivy would be alright...I mean I dont have to have the uber hardware....if that were the case I would be asking about a 3930K and Rampage Extreme.
i just want something to game on....i dont really do THAT much video encoding, Just a lil bit. I mean I could rool with a 3570K if need be but I just want something that is going to last me a while and primarally play games.....thats where its at for me.....and fold too....i want to get into that as well. biggrin.gif

I was in the same situation you are in now, dive in for the 3770K or wait for Haswell. I refuse to wait until the second quarter of 2013 for an upgrade, but remember I was coming from an E6600, P5E and 2GB RAM so I had a difficult decision to make! Realistically Haswell is supposed to be 5-15% better then Ivy Bridge not counting the iGPU, but here really needs it anyway! So consider what I have said and you'll make the right decision.
post #4617 of 7362
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw33k View Post

I killed my chip sadsmiley.gif I was taking the IHS off and put a bit too much pressure on the knife and chipped the die. As soon as I heard the sound of crushing glass I knew what I'd done. I just ordered a new chip so I'll try again when it gets here. I've taped off the blade and measured it against the dead chip and it can't go in any deeper than it needs to. Apart from this, the process was pretty easy. The knife has a paper thin blade which slides in easily and I just slowly slid the blade through the glue. It only took a minute to get it off. I have some Liquid Ultra to use on it. I did a test on the dead chip and it goes on nicely with the little brush they include

I felt my heart drop after reading the first 4 words. really unfortunate.
Silent Steel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @ 5.0Ghz Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Gigabyte GTX 460 OC Corsair Vengence 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB NZXT Havik 140 Windows 7 64Bit SP1 Asus VE247H 
PowerMouse
Antec HCG-M 620W Steelseries Kana 
  hide details  
Reply
Silent Steel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @ 5.0Ghz Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Gigabyte GTX 460 OC Corsair Vengence 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB NZXT Havik 140 Windows 7 64Bit SP1 Asus VE247H 
PowerMouse
Antec HCG-M 620W Steelseries Kana 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4618 of 7362
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbinary View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbinary View Post

Hmm looks like I'm not on the spreadsheet for some reason. Well here we go:
Username: rexbinary
Chip Model: i5-3570K
Batch #: 3218C203
Max OC: 4.6GHz @ 1.192v (+0.050 offset)
CPUZ Validation Link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2539939

Hi Swag! You missed me. Can you please add me? Thanks!




Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post

swag,

could you add me as well.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1250090/official-ivy-bridge-owners-thread/4510#post_18338250

thnks





Sorry guys, I didn't see it. tongue.gif
Swag's Venus
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @ 4.8GHz Asus Maximus V Gene EVGA GTX 680 G.Skill RipJaws X 16GB (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Crucial M4 Corsair H100i Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Crossover 27Q (3x) Ducky TKL OCN-Version Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair C70 (Military Green) Razer DeathAdder BE Steelseries QCK+ Beats Pro 
AudioAudio
Bose Surround Sound 5.1 Beats Tours 
  hide details  
Reply
Swag's Venus
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @ 4.8GHz Asus Maximus V Gene EVGA GTX 680 G.Skill RipJaws X 16GB (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Crucial M4 Corsair H100i Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Crossover 27Q (3x) Ducky TKL OCN-Version Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair C70 (Military Green) Razer DeathAdder BE Steelseries QCK+ Beats Pro 
AudioAudio
Bose Surround Sound 5.1 Beats Tours 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4619 of 7362
Thanks Swag, your the man.
post #4620 of 7362
Thanks Swag!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Ivy Bridge Owners Thread