Originally Posted by Warmonger
Of course, that's just common sense. You wouldn't give up a processor that costed you $100 to manufacture for $80. AMD does a good job at making parts that are reliable and work for whatever task you may have at hand. Intel is only good for doing it faster. As human beings speed is a craving we all have, and in this era of time 30% of the people cant handle waiting the 3-5 extra seconds for a particular task to complete. So they buy what gets it done the fastest (Intel). But on the other hand there is a large percentage of the market (the other 70%) who really don't care about that extra few seconds. While most of us live in the real world where we are taxed to death by our government, simply put we can not fork out the $1,000 for a decent Intel rig. Thus we are left to the cheaper alternative (AMD).
I actually think the gap between Intel and AMD will significantly lessen in the coming years. With AMD free from GloFo, they should be able to do the one thing they've always struggled with - not run into supply issues. They're changing their processor releases to a yearly schedule like Intel, which will definitely help. RCM is going to be a huge boost, although I'm wondering if Intel will look into implementing that technology as well, as it's a 3rd party design.
Also, gains from process shrinks are really starting to minimize. The cost per wafer's gone way up for newer processes and leakage is becoming too hot to handle. It's only going to get worse.
Wondering how 450mm wafers will affect Intel's fabrication edge on AMD though. Obviously there's some big up front cost, but the savings are pretty sizable.
If AMD can survive year of the Bulldozer, they should be alright. GloFo did a number on AMD last year, and now AMD doesn't have to worry about that for much longer.
Originally Posted by 2010rig
LOL, my bad, I have formula_m blocked, and you and him were debating back and forth for a while.
I thought it was him you were replying to, all I saw was the horrible grammar in the quote.
I retract my comment. Will read more closely next time.
I don't block people... I miss out on the fun that way. Although I swear, if I see mikezachlowe post another news thread with an ellipsis at the end, I'm gonna kill someone.