Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Best 7970 to watercool?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best 7970 to watercool? - Page 2

post #11 of 22
7970 DC II has blocks. The DC II has the best VRM and voltage regulation possible, all other cards for now are basically reference models which will not reach stable OC's as easy as a DCII.
Here's a link to the EK blocks: http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/ek-fc7970-dcii-acetal-en-nickel.html
- chmodlabs
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmodlabs View Post

7970 DC II has blocks. The DC II has the best VRM and voltage regulation possible, all other cards for now are basically reference models which will not reach stable OC's as easy as a DCII.
Here's a link to the EK blocks: http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/ek-fc7970-dcii-acetal-en-nickel.html
- chmodlabs

have u owned one of the dc 2 yet?
have u ever getting the same problems of all those dc2 owners had b4?
i had owned one, i can say: it sucks..
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmodlabs View Post

7970 DC II has blocks. The DC II has the best VRM and voltage regulation possible, all other cards for now are basically reference models which will not reach stable OC's as easy as a DCII.
Here's a link to the EK blocks: http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/ek-fc7970-dcii-acetal-en-nickel.html
- chmodlabs

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately they aren't available in australia. Also, do you have any real evidence to back up the DC II claims? I don't want to spend extra if realistically I'm buying a better cooler i'm about to take off.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmodlabs View Post

7970 DC II has blocks. The DC II has the best VRM and voltage regulation possible, all other cards for now are basically reference models which will not reach stable OC's as easy as a DCII.
Here's a link to the EK blocks: http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/ek-fc7970-dcii-acetal-en-nickel.html
- chmodlabs


Dude, stop. DC2 is not guaranteed to overclock better than any reference. The only thing the DC2 has going for it is the 4 DP ports, hotwire. It has a huge disadvantage in that because of Asus limited thinking they placed resistors/etc on top of the memory forcing ek to move the ports on the waterblock, so it WILL NOT line up with reference blocks. And Asus in their wisdom made the pcb to wide so it would force a block designer to go out of ATX spec to put ports on top of the block!!!!!!! Thus the ek block only has ports on one side, the wrong side!
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Dude, stop. DC2 is not guaranteed to overclock better than any reference. The only thing the DC2 has going for it is the 4 DP ports, hotwire. It has a huge disadvantage in that because of Asus limited thinking they placed resistors/etc on top of the memory forcing ek to move the ports on the waterblock, so it WILL NOT line up with reference blocks. And Asus in their wisdom made the pcb to wide so it would force a block designer to go out of ATX spec to put ports on top of the block!!!!!!! Thus the ek block only has ports on one side, the wrong side!

Valid point. I thought something was up with the ports, but it didn't click on.
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Dude, stop. DC2 is not guaranteed to overclock better than any reference. The only thing the DC2 has going for it is the 4 DP ports, hotwire. It has a huge disadvantage in that because of Asus limited thinking they placed resistors/etc on top of the memory forcing ek to move the ports on the waterblock, so it WILL NOT line up with reference blocks. And Asus in their wisdom made the pcb to wide so it would force a block designer to go out of ATX spec to put ports on top of the block!!!!!!! Thus the ek block only has ports on one side, the wrong side!

nuff said thumb.gif.
Asus dc2 7970 sux.. but they made great Nvidia cards. wondering y none of the AMD cards:mad:
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever109 View Post

not really..Asus really did a bad job on Hd7970 this time. i owned one but return back. vrm temps goes up to 110. gpu up to 80 for a 3 slot card, stock vol for v core it's 1174. need to bump vcore vol for just 1125 core over clock.
but lots of reference 7970 with stock core vol at 1112 didn't need vol increase for 1125 overclock.
as for watercooling, i am not sure about the asus dc2. but reference had more water block choice, u had, xspc for less than $100. koolance,heat killer n ek,about the same price. and also swiftech, which it's$155 .but it come with back shield,1 slot bracket,and truely full coverage block,look so clean,ever with red backlight.
I don't know why people are still referring to the VRM temps. It's been pointed out it was reading them incorrectly. They are actually much lower then shown in many GPU temp monitors. The other problem with some cards being faulty does seem true. My first DCII is perfect and overclocks higher then the average 7970, but my second DCII could not run at stock 1ghz and would crash. I'm hoping Asus has resolved this. IMO the best would be the MSI Lightning on water. It's just I don't think anyone makes a full cover for it yet. I know Bitspower made blocks for the Nvidia Lightning series in the past, so maybe there's a chance..

What tsm106 is saying about the EK waterblock having the inlet/outlet ports on one side does suck majorly. I have had to reconfig my whole waterloop because of it.

Edit: What made me go with the DCII and watercooling is that I had a reference 7970 and the coil whine was terrible. Nothing is worse then having a silent PC and hearing nothing but the coil whine
Edited by Tennobanzai - 5/3/12 at 11:09pm
post #18 of 22
Hey Tenno, if you are connecting just DC2's, use ek bridges. That will get around the lame port layout, however it will not mix with reference blocks, so it's all DC2 or bust.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Hey Tenno, if you are connecting just DC2's, use ek bridges. That will get around the lame port layout, however it will not mix with reference blocks, so it's all DC2 or bust.
Thanks for the suggestion thumb.gif

I just bought the links and they should be coming in soon, but it was too late. I already bought a new res and a few angled fittings. I'm just waiting on my 2nd 7970 from RMA
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennobanzai View Post

I don't know why people are still referring to the VRM temps. It's been pointed out it was reading them incorrectly. They are actually much lower then shown in many GPU temp monitors. The other problem with some cards being faulty does seem true. My first DCII is perfect and overclocks higher then the average 7970, but my second DCII could not run at stock 1ghz and would crash. I'm hoping Asus has resolved this. IMO the best would be the MSI Lightning on water. It's just I don't think anyone makes a full cover for it yet. I know Bitspower made blocks for the Nvidia Lightning series in the past, so maybe there's a chance..
What tsm106 is saying about the EK waterblock having the inlet/outlet ports on one side does suck majorly. I have had to reconfig my whole waterloop because of it.
Edit: What made me go with the DCII and watercooling is that I had a reference 7970 and the coil whine was terrible. Nothing is worse then having a silent PC and hearing nothing but the coil whine

like i said above, i owned dc 2 for almost a month, but than i return it back to the vendor. it crashes like ur second card did.
and the core temps r about the same as my reference xfx, that i sold to my friend.
so i really didn't get the point of getting the dc2 over the reference.
and look around OCN, things regarding to Asus RMA support threads.
pray to ur god,jesus,ala,buda or what ever the god u believe,that asus will get u a good card back when u need RMA service from them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Best 7970 to watercool?