Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Re-New My Machine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Re-New My Machine

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hey Overclockers, long time no see.

I have my birthday coming up and I was looking to potentially re-new my computer.

Currently have:
Corsair 550 Silent Pro
Antec 300
GTX 460
AMD Athlon II X3 3.0 GHz (the 4th core is unlocked so it reads as a phenom B40)
MSI E-63 Mobo
75gb Internal hard drive
360gb external hard drive.
4 GB DDR2 Ram w/ Windows 32b

My question, what should/can I upgrade with a budget of up to 300$ (NO MORE)
First
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom B40 @ 3.0 GHz MSI 785GT-E63 Asus GTX 460 Top 786Mb 4GB DDR2 800MHz 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 32b CM Silent Pro M 550w Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
First
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom B40 @ 3.0 GHz MSI 785GT-E63 Asus GTX 460 Top 786Mb 4GB DDR2 800MHz 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 32b CM Silent Pro M 550w Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 12
I am going to guess you are a gamer so upgrading your video card to a 7870 is what I recommend for you to see the biggest improvement. Another option would be to upgrade to sandy bridge but a CPU, motherboard, and ram is going to run you more than 300 unless you went i3, cheap motherboard and cheap ram.

Basically unless you can up your budget, I would say go for the 7870, you will get the biggest improvement in gaming from that anyways (unless you play wow or SC2 where a cpu would probably give you more).
post #3 of 12
Platform change for sure. My recommendation:

Motherboard Choice #1: ASrock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 ($122)

Motherboard Choice #2: ASRrock P67 Pro3 ($100)

CPU Choice #1: Intel i3 2120 $125

CPU Choice #2: Intel i5 2400 $190

Then, of course, you'd need RAM. I'd get a G.Skill 8gb 1333MHz RAM set for $42, even though you have a 32-bit OS. A 4gb set is only ~$12 cheaper, but you may as well grab 8gb now when RAM is so cheap, and considering you'll probably end up upgrading to 64-bit Windows at some point.
 
"Not Quite White"
(11 items)
 
Skynet
(15 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 4700MQ Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M Generic Plextor M5M PX-128M5M mSATA 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 8x CD/DVD RW+ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit HP Compaq LA2405x 24" LED 1920x1200 
KeyboardMouseMouse PadAudio
Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Logitech G700s Ozone Lavapad Onkyo TX-8255 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Polk Monitor Series 45B's Dayton SUB-1200 12" Sub Samson USB Go Mic Corsair Vengeance 1500 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K ASRock Extreme Gen3 P67 XFX Radeon HD 6950 2gb 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 120gb Samsung 200gb 7200RPM SATA II ASUS 24X CD DVD RW XSPC Rasa RS240 with Primochill Tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Sceptre 21.5" 1080p Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Raidmax RX-850AE 850 Watt GOLD Modular 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master 690II Advanced Logitech MX-315 Logitech Z-623 200 Watt 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
 
"Not Quite White"
(11 items)
 
Skynet
(15 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 4700MQ Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M Generic Plextor M5M PX-128M5M mSATA 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 8x CD/DVD RW+ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit HP Compaq LA2405x 24" LED 1920x1200 
KeyboardMouseMouse PadAudio
Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Logitech G700s Ozone Lavapad Onkyo TX-8255 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Polk Monitor Series 45B's Dayton SUB-1200 12" Sub Samson USB Go Mic Corsair Vengeance 1500 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K ASRock Extreme Gen3 P67 XFX Radeon HD 6950 2gb 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 120gb Samsung 200gb 7200RPM SATA II ASUS 24X CD DVD RW XSPC Rasa RS240 with Primochill Tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Sceptre 21.5" 1080p Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Raidmax RX-850AE 850 Watt GOLD Modular 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master 690II Advanced Logitech MX-315 Logitech Z-623 200 Watt 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 12
FX 8120(cheapest you find)+ mobo w/ chipset 970/880 am3+ thumb.gif
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

FX 8120(cheapest you find)+ mobo w/ chipset 970/880 am3+ thumb.gif

Don't go Bulldozer... it's simply the worse option. Not trying to start a flame war (and please don't let this devolve into that), but it's not the best option here. An i5 2400 kicks the pants off of an 8150 in games (source), and would only do even better against the 8120.

Not to mention that Z68/P67 makes more sense than 970/880 for a budget build.
 
"Not Quite White"
(11 items)
 
Skynet
(15 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 4700MQ Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M Generic Plextor M5M PX-128M5M mSATA 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 8x CD/DVD RW+ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit HP Compaq LA2405x 24" LED 1920x1200 
KeyboardMouseMouse PadAudio
Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Logitech G700s Ozone Lavapad Onkyo TX-8255 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Polk Monitor Series 45B's Dayton SUB-1200 12" Sub Samson USB Go Mic Corsair Vengeance 1500 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K ASRock Extreme Gen3 P67 XFX Radeon HD 6950 2gb 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 120gb Samsung 200gb 7200RPM SATA II ASUS 24X CD DVD RW XSPC Rasa RS240 with Primochill Tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Sceptre 21.5" 1080p Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Raidmax RX-850AE 850 Watt GOLD Modular 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master 690II Advanced Logitech MX-315 Logitech Z-623 200 Watt 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
 
"Not Quite White"
(11 items)
 
Skynet
(15 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 4700MQ Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M Generic Plextor M5M PX-128M5M mSATA 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 8x CD/DVD RW+ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit HP Compaq LA2405x 24" LED 1920x1200 
KeyboardMouseMouse PadAudio
Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Logitech G700s Ozone Lavapad Onkyo TX-8255 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Polk Monitor Series 45B's Dayton SUB-1200 12" Sub Samson USB Go Mic Corsair Vengeance 1500 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K ASRock Extreme Gen3 P67 XFX Radeon HD 6950 2gb 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 120gb Samsung 200gb 7200RPM SATA II ASUS 24X CD DVD RW XSPC Rasa RS240 with Primochill Tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Sceptre 21.5" 1080p Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Raidmax RX-850AE 850 Watt GOLD Modular 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master 690II Advanced Logitech MX-315 Logitech Z-623 200 Watt 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofhearts495 View Post

Platform change for sure. My recommendation:
Motherboard Choice #1: ASrock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 ($122)
Motherboard Choice #2: ASRrock P67 Pro3 ($100)
CPU Choice #1: Intel i3 2120 $125
CPU Choice #2: Intel i5 2400 $190
Then, of course, you'd need RAM. I'd get a G.Skill 8gb 1333MHz RAM set for $42, even though you have a 32-bit OS. A 4gb set is only ~$12 cheaper, but you may as well grab 8gb now when RAM is so cheap, and considering you'll probably end up upgrading to 64-bit Windows at some point.

Im not sure if you already knew this or not but just to clarify to OP if he does get the cpu/mobo/ram combo he doesnt need to buy windows again. He can use the same key he is using for 32bit windows as he would for 64bit. He would just need to get a hold of a 64bit windows 7 disk that matches is version (pro/home premium/Ultimate). The windows key doesnt care whether its 64bit or 32.

That being said, I still recommend getting a 7870 for the biggest improvement for your dollar. But, you should still upgrade to 64bit since the 7870 is 2gb and you have 4gb of ram which would equal 6gb total and 32bit can only address a total of 4gb.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofhearts495 View Post

Don't go Bulldozer... it's simply the worse option. Not trying to start a flame war (and please don't let this devolve into that), but it's not the best option here. An i5 2400 kicks the pants off of an 8150 in games (source), and would only do even better against the 8120.
Not to mention that Z68/P67 makes more sense than 970/880 for a budget build.
u r intel fanboy right? I´m too but you dont know that most of bench arent updated w/ lastest patches AND benching 2500k vs FX 8150 on linux ,FX 81250 won by miles
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedPaperclip View Post

Im not sure if you already knew this or not but just to clarify to OP if he does get the cpu/mobo/ram combo he doesnt need to buy windows again. He can use the same key he is using for 32bit windows as he would for 64bit. He would just need to get a hold of a 64bit windows 7 disk that matches is version (pro/home premium/Ultimate). The windows key doesnt care whether its 64bit or 32.
That being said, I still recommend getting a 7870 for the biggest improvement for your dollar. But, you should still upgrade to 64bit since the 7870 is 2gb and you have 4gb of ram which would equal 6gb total and 32bit can only address a total of 4gb.

Well, yeah. Sorry if I was confusing. I still think that, even though it may not yield the most noticeable improvements, a fresh platform is the best decision. I guess that's up to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

u r intel fanboy right? I´m too but you dont know that most of bench arent updated w/ lastest patches AND benching 2500k vs FX 8150 on linux ,FX 81250 won by miles

Oh, for chrissake. I knew someone would make this an "Intel fanboy" thing. No, I'm not a fanboy. As soon as AMD gives me reason to recommend their CPUs, I will happily recommend them.

By the way, you're completely wrong about the the patch. Bulldozer improvement is in the <5% when it comes to gaming with both patches applied to Windows 7 (sources: here, here, and here).

As for the Linux quip, sure; the 8150 is good competition against a (much cheaper) 2500k (in Linux). But this is only because Linux programs (mostly open-source) are generally well-coded to be multi-threaded, which fully takes advantage of the 8 cores. However, the question arises: Who cares? The OP never mentioned anything about Linux. No one games on Linux.

Go Intel. And let's please keep the strong AMD-Intel opinions down so this thread doesn't go straight down the crapper.
 
"Not Quite White"
(11 items)
 
Skynet
(15 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 4700MQ Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M Generic Plextor M5M PX-128M5M mSATA 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 8x CD/DVD RW+ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit HP Compaq LA2405x 24" LED 1920x1200 
KeyboardMouseMouse PadAudio
Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Logitech G700s Ozone Lavapad Onkyo TX-8255 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Polk Monitor Series 45B's Dayton SUB-1200 12" Sub Samson USB Go Mic Corsair Vengeance 1500 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K ASRock Extreme Gen3 P67 XFX Radeon HD 6950 2gb 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 120gb Samsung 200gb 7200RPM SATA II ASUS 24X CD DVD RW XSPC Rasa RS240 with Primochill Tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Sceptre 21.5" 1080p Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Raidmax RX-850AE 850 Watt GOLD Modular 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master 690II Advanced Logitech MX-315 Logitech Z-623 200 Watt 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
 
"Not Quite White"
(11 items)
 
Skynet
(15 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 4700MQ Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M Generic Plextor M5M PX-128M5M mSATA 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 8x CD/DVD RW+ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit HP Compaq LA2405x 24" LED 1920x1200 
KeyboardMouseMouse PadAudio
Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Logitech G700s Ozone Lavapad Onkyo TX-8255 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Polk Monitor Series 45B's Dayton SUB-1200 12" Sub Samson USB Go Mic Corsair Vengeance 1500 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K ASRock Extreme Gen3 P67 XFX Radeon HD 6950 2gb 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 120gb Samsung 200gb 7200RPM SATA II ASUS 24X CD DVD RW XSPC Rasa RS240 with Primochill Tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Sceptre 21.5" 1080p Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Raidmax RX-850AE 850 Watt GOLD Modular 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master 690II Advanced Logitech MX-315 Logitech Z-623 200 Watt 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hey guys, sorry for the long reply. I've had some 'family' issues (I'm grounded LOL)

But, thanks for all of the input. I'll try and see if I can get a whole new platform for 300, and just keep the GTX 460. It's definitely maxed any game I could play, and ever will play, at 1080p. I'll see what I can do.
First
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom B40 @ 3.0 GHz MSI 785GT-E63 Asus GTX 460 Top 786Mb 4GB DDR2 800MHz 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 32b CM Silent Pro M 550w Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
First
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom B40 @ 3.0 GHz MSI 785GT-E63 Asus GTX 460 Top 786Mb 4GB DDR2 800MHz 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 32b CM Silent Pro M 550w Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedPaperclip View Post

I am going to guess you are a gamer so upgrading your video card to a 7870 is what I recommend for you to see the biggest improvement. Another option would be to upgrade to sandy bridge but a CPU, motherboard, and ram is going to run you more than 300 unless you went i3, cheap motherboard and cheap ram.
Basically unless you can up your budget, I would say go for the 7870, you will get the biggest improvement in gaming from that anyways (unless you play wow or SC2 where a cpu would probably give you more).

Link me to the 7870 that is 300$ or less. I might send my 7850 back and spend a few bucks more.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k ASUS P8Z77-V PRO (Temp Card) Diamond 6970 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 256 GB SSD OS 1 TB Seagate  ASUS CM Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Catleap 27" 2560x1440 Logitech G15 CORSAIR AX750 
CaseMouse
Cool Master HAF X Razer Deathadder black edition 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k ASUS P8Z77-V PRO (Temp Card) Diamond 6970 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 256 GB SSD OS 1 TB Seagate  ASUS CM Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Catleap 27" 2560x1440 Logitech G15 CORSAIR AX750 
CaseMouse
Cool Master HAF X Razer Deathadder black edition 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Re-New My Machine