Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Silent Computing › Advice on a new, near-silent setup please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice on a new, near-silent setup please

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I'm looking to build a very quiet setup and would really appreciate the advice of you Silent PC gurus on some part selections.

Basically, I don't really get time to play games these days so I'm looking to change my sig rig into a quiet system that's capable of running 24/7. I'm also trying to do this on a pretty small budget, I've got a little bit of cash put to one side plus whatever I can get by selling components I no longer require.

What I plan do with the main components is replace to the motherboard with a low end Z77 board (for possible ivy-bridge upgrades in future) and run my 2600K at either stock or a small overclock to about 4.5ghz. I think I will be looking for a different, quieter CPU Cooling solution to my Silver Arrow.

I'll be selling my GTX 480's and will be looking for a card for less than £150 which is ideal for running my PC through my 40" Samsung TV. I was hoping to hold out for a GTX 660 but I've heard rumours that this card could be a long way off yet.

I will be keeping my SSD as a boot drive but replacing the WD Blacks for a 3TB WD Green as a storage drive, I would be interested to hear any silencing HDD Caddy recommendations.

I will also be selling my AX1200 PSU in favour of a quieter model that's less powerful (been thinking about the Be Quiet 750W Dark Power Pro).

Finally I'm looking for a new, quieter case and system fans. I really like the look of the CM Silencio RC-550 or Fractal Design R3.
I should also state that I'm not overly keen on the idea of a fan controller as these tend to have lots of lights which is a real put-off as this computer is in my bedroom and I don't want them illuminating the room whilst I'm trying to sleep.

I would also be interested to hear in any other silencing methods you recommend such as foam padding.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Edited by Jay Scott - 5/6/12 at 2:10pm
post #2 of 12
-Go with watercooling your cpu and get an aftermarket cooler for any graphics card you may get.
I would keep 1 gtx480 and put an Acellero Extreme Plus II cooler on it

-Use a PSU that will shut down the fan when running smal loads. [like an Corsair AX750, Seasonic X-750]

-Put all your case fans, GPU fans and radiator fans on a fan-controller.

This will drasticly reduce noise from your computer.
You can go with a case more designed for silence to, there are also some noise absorption sets you can build into your Haf-X
Black storm
(32 items)
 
 
HomeServer
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-4790K @ 4751mhz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming  HD4890 - HD5870 - HD6950 - HD7850x2 - HD7950x2... 8800GTS - GTS450 - GTX650ti Boost - GTX670 - GT... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB 2400mhz CL9 Ripjaws Samsung 951 NVME 256GB 250GB SSD Samsung 840 Seagate 7200rpm 3TB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Copper MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 120mm rad. MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 240mm rad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Lamptron FC5 V2 fan-controller AlphaCool VP655 Pump + Plexi Top EK Spin Bay resevoir 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon's 1450rpm 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
6x Enermax Cluster White 1200rpm Windows 10 Iiyama Prolite E2773HDS 27inch - 47inch LG TV Corsair K60 - Razor BlackWidow Stealth - Logite... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000i Corsair AIR540 Logitech G502 Corepad xxxl 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Musical Fidelity V-Dac II Reloop Direct Drive Turntable with Ortofon Conc... 2x Adam A5X Studio Monitors BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Audioquest Nighthawk Lehmann Audio Linear Headphone Amp Sennheiser HD650 Musical Fidelity V-PSU 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD E-350 Asus E35M1-M 4GB DDR3 Kingston 1333mhz  1,5TB wester digital green 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
640GB WD Caviar blue 500GB Samsung Spinpoint Samsung Dvd-rewriter windows xp sp2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
19inch phillips tft generic Bequiet 300Watt Fratal Design Core 
MouseMouse Pad
microsoft none 
  hide details  
Reply
Black storm
(32 items)
 
 
HomeServer
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-4790K @ 4751mhz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming  HD4890 - HD5870 - HD6950 - HD7850x2 - HD7950x2... 8800GTS - GTS450 - GTX650ti Boost - GTX670 - GT... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB 2400mhz CL9 Ripjaws Samsung 951 NVME 256GB 250GB SSD Samsung 840 Seagate 7200rpm 3TB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Copper MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 120mm rad. MagiCool Elegant plexi full copper 240mm rad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Lamptron FC5 V2 fan-controller AlphaCool VP655 Pump + Plexi Top EK Spin Bay resevoir 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon's 1450rpm 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
6x Enermax Cluster White 1200rpm Windows 10 Iiyama Prolite E2773HDS 27inch - 47inch LG TV Corsair K60 - Razor BlackWidow Stealth - Logite... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000i Corsair AIR540 Logitech G502 Corepad xxxl 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Musical Fidelity V-Dac II Reloop Direct Drive Turntable with Ortofon Conc... 2x Adam A5X Studio Monitors BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Audioquest Nighthawk Lehmann Audio Linear Headphone Amp Sennheiser HD650 Musical Fidelity V-PSU 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD E-350 Asus E35M1-M 4GB DDR3 Kingston 1333mhz  1,5TB wester digital green 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
640GB WD Caviar blue 500GB Samsung Spinpoint Samsung Dvd-rewriter windows xp sp2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
19inch phillips tft generic Bequiet 300Watt Fratal Design Core 
MouseMouse Pad
microsoft none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farih View Post

-Go with watercooling your cpu and get an aftermarket cooler for any graphics card you may get.
I would keep 1 gtx480 and put an Acellero Extreme Plus II cooler on it
-Use a PSU that will shut down the fan when running smal loads. [like an Corsair AX750, Seasonic X-750]
-Put all your case fans, GPU fans and radiator fans on a fan-controller.
This will drasticly reduce noise from your computer.
You can go with a case more designed for silence to, there are also some noise absorption sets you can build into your Haf-X

Thanks for your reply Farih.

Unfortunately I don't think water cooling is real option for me due to budget constraints (I should have stated this in my OP), I also don't have any experience with water cooling and I'm not confident with regards to installing a WC setup and performing the relevant maintenance.

I would be interested in a quiet aftermarket graphics cooler, I wasn't sure whether it was worth keeping hold of my 480's as they are hot, power hungry cards, I thought perhaps a newer, less powerful card would serve me better in this case?

Your point about the PSU's which shut down their fans is very interesting, I wasnt aware of this feature on PSU's.

I'm also not too keen on idea of the fan controller, mainly due to the fact these usually have lots of lights on the front and I would like to keep my case as discreet and light-free as possible. This is just because the PC is in my bedroom and previous fan controllers and case lights I've had have lit up my room while I've been trying to sleep! mad.gif
Edited by Jay Scott - 5/6/12 at 2:11pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Scott View Post

I think I will be looking for a different, quieter CPU Cooling solution to my Silver Arrow.

?? if you are looking for a solution that is quieter then a silver arrow.... you will need a HUGE budget...(or a pair of ear plugs biggrin.gif )
post #5 of 12
How do you consider the Silver Arrow loud?! You can easily get it to near silent if you use Speedfan. Just get the fan ~700rpm and you shouldn't be able to hear it. If you use Speedfan, you don't even need a fan contoller. Plus everything can be programmed so speeds are automatically varied depending on temperatures. I really recommend that you get the Asus mobos if you want the headers to be compatible. The Z77 V-LX board should do fine as the 4pin chassis headers can control 3 pin fans too.

If you want near silent, the X-750 or AX750 (both are the same, just rebadges), those are the PSUs to get as they run fanless <20% load.

The size of the TV doesn't matter since it is still 1920*1080. I believe the GTX 660 is coming out in 4 days (at least the 670 is).


Feel free to PM me if you need more help. I have already got my system to near silent without any foam insulation...
Exposed Silence
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5-4670k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Samsung Low Voltage 30nm 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 EVO 500GB NH-D14 w/ 2x NF-A15 Prolimatech MK-26 w/ 2x NF-S12A 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate HP ZR24W Ducky Shine 2 DK9008S2 Rosewill SilentNight 
CaseAudioAudioAudio
Lian Li PC-T60B audio-gd NFB-7.32 Krell KAV-400xi HiFiMan HE-6 
  hide details  
Reply
Exposed Silence
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5-4670k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Samsung Low Voltage 30nm 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 EVO 500GB NH-D14 w/ 2x NF-A15 Prolimatech MK-26 w/ 2x NF-S12A 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate HP ZR24W Ducky Shine 2 DK9008S2 Rosewill SilentNight 
CaseAudioAudioAudio
Lian Li PC-T60B audio-gd NFB-7.32 Krell KAV-400xi HiFiMan HE-6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

How do you consider the Silver Arrow loud?! You can easily get it to near silent if you use Speedfan. Just get the fan ~700rpm and you shouldn't be able to hear it. If you use Speedfan, you don't even need a fan contoller. Plus everything can be programmed so speeds are automatically varied depending on temperatures. I really recommend that you get the Asus mobos if you want the headers to be compatible. The Z77 V-LX board should do fine as the 4pin chassis headers can control 3 pin fans too.
If you want near silent, the X-750 or AX750 (both are the same, just rebadges), those are the PSUs to get as they run fanless <20% load.
The size of the TV doesn't matter since it is still 1920*1080. I believe the GTX 660 is coming out in 4 days (at least the 670 is).
Feel free to PM me if you need more help. I have already got my system to near silent without any foam insulation...

Thanks for your reply. I guess I just have my fans on the wrong setting for the Silver Arrow, do you think its worth swapping out the Thermalright fans that come with it for some quieter ones? Also is there a consensus as to whether I should be using 1, 2 or 3 fans with it?

I was planning to go with an Asus Z77 board, I like the look of the Sabertooth but that will depend on whether or not budget permits. As for the Power Supplies, I like the look of the ones you have recommended but are the likely to run at less that 20% load, and thus fanless if I plan to run a GTX 660 or similar in my system?

Do you have any recommendations for cases, case fans and HDD silencing solutions?
post #7 of 12
Don't swap out the TY-140s unless you have a defective one. You can tell if it has loud clicks. Besides that, simply lowering the speeds when your computer is idle will be more than enough. Should be close to silent and cool enough. Also leave it as the dual fan.

Isn't the Sabertooth very expensive? If you only plan on running one GPU and don't plan to OC past 4.5Ghz, there isn't much of a point in getting the very expensive Asus boards. Even the V-LX model would work fine for your needs. Plus you can use the money saved on quieter case fans (you will definitely need those).

See if you can get the PSUs on sale as they normally drop down to ~120USD.

Go for any of the silencing cases if you can. I think any rig can be make close to silent of the parameters permit. Quiet components are the most important parts as they will be the source of your problem. Any sound dampening foam will probably only be the cherry on top, not a cure-all. I say just find a case that you like and make sure it can have good airflow. Also best if the materials are steel since it has better vibration dampening, but aluminum can work fine (like in my case), but make sure panels are thick with good structural support. So expect the case to run for a decent price...

For case fans, Scythe Gentle Typhoons and Slipstreams are very good case fans if you want 120mm. TY-140 from the Silver Arrow are also very quiet 140mm fans, but if they must be 140mm mounts, I think the Prolimatech Vortex are the quietest choice.

I think a lower RPM drive will be as silencing as using an enclosure. But which drive you have is also very important since some have more vibration noise while others have more acoustic noise. The Grow Up Smart Drive NEO is supposed to be the best acoustic noise silencer.
Exposed Silence
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5-4670k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Samsung Low Voltage 30nm 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 EVO 500GB NH-D14 w/ 2x NF-A15 Prolimatech MK-26 w/ 2x NF-S12A 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate HP ZR24W Ducky Shine 2 DK9008S2 Rosewill SilentNight 
CaseAudioAudioAudio
Lian Li PC-T60B audio-gd NFB-7.32 Krell KAV-400xi HiFiMan HE-6 
  hide details  
Reply
Exposed Silence
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5-4670k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Samsung Low Voltage 30nm 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 EVO 500GB NH-D14 w/ 2x NF-A15 Prolimatech MK-26 w/ 2x NF-S12A 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate HP ZR24W Ducky Shine 2 DK9008S2 Rosewill SilentNight 
CaseAudioAudioAudio
Lian Li PC-T60B audio-gd NFB-7.32 Krell KAV-400xi HiFiMan HE-6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

Don't swap out the TY-140s unless you have a defective one. You can tell if it has loud clicks. Besides that, simply lowering the speeds when your computer is idle will be more than enough. Should be close to silent and cool enough. Also leave it as the dual fan.
Isn't the Sabertooth very expensive? If you only plan on running one GPU and don't plan to OC past 4.5Ghz, there isn't much of a point in getting the very expensive Asus boards. Even the V-LX model would work fine for your needs. Plus you can use the money saved on quieter case fans (you will definitely need those).
See if you can get the PSUs on sale as they normally drop down to ~120USD.
Go for any of the silencing cases if you can. I think any rig can be make close to silent of the parameters permit. Quiet components are the most important parts as they will be the source of your problem. Any sound dampening foam will probably only be the cherry on top, not a cure-all. I say just find a case that you like and make sure it can have good airflow. Also best if the materials are steel since it has better vibration dampening, but aluminum can work fine (like in my case), but make sure panels are thick with good structural support. So expect the case to run for a decent price...
For case fans, Scythe Gentle Typhoons and Slipstreams are very good case fans if you want 120mm. TY-140 from the Silver Arrow are also very quiet 140mm fans, but if they must be 140mm mounts, I think the Prolimatech Vortex are the quietest choice.
I think a lower RPM drive will be as silencing as using an enclosure. But which drive you have is also very important since some have more vibration noise while others have more acoustic noise. The Grow Up Smart Drive NEO is supposed to be the best acoustic noise silencer.

Thanks again for your advice mate.

I've come up with this shopping list for my new quiet system. I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I've chosen and whether I need to change anything or if I've missed anything.

It should be noted I'll be using my current CPU, Cooler, RAM, SSD, Sound Card and my GTX 480's have actually been sold so I will be running on-board video until I can get a GTX660 or similar.

I also noticed that quite a substantial amount is going on fans here, is there a more cost effective alternatives to Gentle Typhoons or Slipstreams?

249
post #9 of 12
wow I was shocked to learn that the AX1200 does not shut down it's fan when the AX750 does.
I decided to save $20 when choosing a PSU and got the HX750 instead, kinda regret that decision since I'm about to spend about $20 on silencing materials for my case
Snow Black
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K ASUS P8Z77-V Gigabyte GTX 560ti OC Corsair LP White (2x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256GB Intel Stock Cooler Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Dell ST2410 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Corsair HX750 Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Razer Goliath Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Logitech Z520 
  hide details  
Reply
Snow Black
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K ASUS P8Z77-V Gigabyte GTX 560ti OC Corsair LP White (2x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256GB Intel Stock Cooler Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Dell ST2410 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Corsair HX750 Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Razer Goliath Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Logitech Z520 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 12
Since you have an SA make sure it will fit in your case and the mobo without obstructing ram and gpu. I would be careful on the matx mobo and go for a full size like the regular V model.

You probably won't need any exhaust fans so maybe you only need 1 GT. Slipstreams are quite cheap and you might only need 1 also.

Besides that everything looks fine. Hopefully you have a dremel to cut off the mesh for the rear exhaust as it restricts airflow and causes extra noise. A cleaner and cheaper solution is a nibbler too.
Exposed Silence
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5-4670k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Samsung Low Voltage 30nm 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 EVO 500GB NH-D14 w/ 2x NF-A15 Prolimatech MK-26 w/ 2x NF-S12A 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate HP ZR24W Ducky Shine 2 DK9008S2 Rosewill SilentNight 
CaseAudioAudioAudio
Lian Li PC-T60B audio-gd NFB-7.32 Krell KAV-400xi HiFiMan HE-6 
  hide details  
Reply
Exposed Silence
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5-4670k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Samsung Low Voltage 30nm 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 EVO 500GB NH-D14 w/ 2x NF-A15 Prolimatech MK-26 w/ 2x NF-S12A 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate HP ZR24W Ducky Shine 2 DK9008S2 Rosewill SilentNight 
CaseAudioAudioAudio
Lian Li PC-T60B audio-gd NFB-7.32 Krell KAV-400xi HiFiMan HE-6 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Silent Computing
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Silent Computing › Advice on a new, near-silent setup please