Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] ASRock Z77 Discussion/Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] ASRock Z77 Discussion/Owners Club - Page 24

post #231 of 3170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvvl View Post

Hi all,
I am looking for some second opinion.
3 weeks ago I've bought ASRock Extreme Z77 with i5-2500K CPU. At the time, when all components came in, I was running temporary MSI GTX460 with it. As soon I've assembled the system, it had some series of some strange POST failures, so I've decided to remove all extra peripherals to install OS etc.
After all was ready to go, I've plugged in GTX460 and got "D6" error on Dr.Debug. After series of restarts and power offs it's finally started alright. I've began to test it with different options i.e -- 6-pin power cables off, on, in PCI-E slot 1, in PCI-E slot 2. Result was quite simple -- with VGA card installed in 4 out of 6 times ended with that D6 code. Also, at the time I was waiting for new power supply (OCZ ZT750) and Zotac GTX560 AMP graphics, so I've thought that the reason for that odd behaviour was my temporarily cheap power supply which only had 1x6-pin connecter so I was using molex-to-6-pin adapter for second.
After all new items came in, result was quite identical. Any restart from OS could've ended with D6 error (monitor goes blank, fans spinning and that's it). Few power offs, then it would randomly boot normally. I've been in touch with ASRock technical support from day 1, they finally agreed for RMA process. So, I've contacted seller today to start RMA process (quite time consuming and in worst case could leave me without motherboard (and PC) for a week). Not the best scenario, to say least.
Apart from that, system is absolutely fine, after it manages to pass that error and boot. Also works fine with just onboard graphics.
Maybe anyone here knows any solution to that problem? Maybe that's just my configuration error somewhere? What should check before sending it off?
Thanks for any advice.

Did you try other PCI-E slots?
Did you connect the monitor to the GPU when plugged in?
Did you try updating the BIOS before posting?

Did you check the motherboard for scratches being to rude installing the GPU maybe? I had this once with the HD AUDIO never having sound, and in the end not booting.
post #232 of 3170
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvvl View Post

Hi all,
I am looking for some second opinion.
3 weeks ago I've bought ASRock Extreme Z77 with i5-2500K CPU. At the time, when all components came in, I was running temporary MSI GTX460 with it. As soon I've assembled the system, it had some series of some strange POST failures, so I've decided to remove all extra peripherals to install OS etc.
After all was ready to go, I've plugged in GTX460 and got "D6" error on Dr.Debug. After series of restarts and power offs it's finally started alright. I've began to test it with different options i.e -- 6-pin power cables off, on, in PCI-E slot 1, in PCI-E slot 2. Result was quite simple -- with VGA card installed in 4 out of 6 times ended with that D6 code. Also, at the time I was waiting for new power supply (OCZ ZT750) and Zotac GTX560 AMP graphics, so I've thought that the reason for that odd behaviour was my temporarily cheap power supply which only had 1x6-pin connecter so I was using molex-to-6-pin adapter for second.
After all new items came in, result was quite identical. Any restart from OS could've ended with D6 error (monitor goes blank, fans spinning and that's it). Few power offs, then it would randomly boot normally. I've been in touch with ASRock technical support from day 1, they finally agreed for RMA process. So, I've contacted seller today to start RMA process (quite time consuming and in worst case could leave me without motherboard (and PC) for a week). Not the best scenario, to say least.
Apart from that, system is absolutely fine, after it manages to pass that error and boot. Also works fine with just onboard graphics.
Maybe anyone here knows any solution to that problem? Maybe that's just my configuration error somewhere? What should check before sending it off?
Thanks for any advice.

Put in top most PCI-E slot, make sure all connectors are in the right spot. Flash BIOS to newest version before installing peripherals. Verify BIOS settings before installing peripherals. Check power supply voltages to make sure they are within tolerances. Test video card on different motherboard.

I am at work so I cannot check my mobo manual, what does the code "D6" read?
Ivy
(19 items)
 
fiance pc
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Extreme4 Z77 eVGA GTX 660 Ti Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barricuda 32MB Cache 7200RPM OCZ Vertex 3 SSD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA XSPC Raystorm(Intel) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Razor GTX 570 Magicool Slim 140mmX2 Radiator XSPC Res+Pump Combo Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 22in Widescreen 1680x1050 I-Rocks Light up Rosewill Xtreme 850W Green NZXT M59 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries Qck+ Steelseries Siberia v1 Headset with USB Soundcard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR nVidia Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barricuda 7200RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU (Intel) Windows 7 x64 HP 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logisys Light Up 650Watt 10 dollar special Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy
(19 items)
 
fiance pc
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Extreme4 Z77 eVGA GTX 660 Ti Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barricuda 32MB Cache 7200RPM OCZ Vertex 3 SSD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA XSPC Raystorm(Intel) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Razor GTX 570 Magicool Slim 140mmX2 Radiator XSPC Res+Pump Combo Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 22in Widescreen 1680x1050 I-Rocks Light up Rosewill Xtreme 850W Green NZXT M59 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries Qck+ Steelseries Siberia v1 Headset with USB Soundcard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR nVidia Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barricuda 7200RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU (Intel) Windows 7 x64 HP 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logisys Light Up 650Watt 10 dollar special Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #233 of 3170
When I had previous GTX 460, bottom PCI-E was giving 92 -PCI enumeration error. With new GTX 560 it's works same way as in top slot. Sometimes D6 error, sometimes boots fine.

BIOS update to lastest 1.30 was one on the first things I did. Same errors.

Few days ago in one of the attempts to re-test everything, I've cleaned contacts on VGA card, cleaned PCI inside with compressed air etc. Same errors.

Monitor cable doesn't afffect anything. It behaves same way with plugged or unplugged cables.

---

I thought it maybe to do something with SLI setup, maybe it tried to look for another card (some bad contact in another PCI slot) or maybe settings in UEFI, but this motherboard doesn't have any SLI settings in UEFI.
post #234 of 3170
"Check power supply voltages to make sure they are within tolerances. Test video card on different motherboard."

Both VGA cards I had been tested and work fine. PSU is new as well, it's fully modular, I've tried various options using all 4 of it's 6-pin slots. But the problem has been the same with 2 different PSU's and 2 different VGA cards.

But thanjs, will try that clean BIOS update.
post #235 of 3170
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvvl View Post

"Check power supply voltages to make sure they are within tolerances. Test video card on different motherboard."
Both VGA cards I had been tested and work fine. PSU is new as well, it's fully modular, I've tried various options using all 4 of it's 6-pin slots. But the problem has been the same with 2 different PSU's and 2 different VGA cards.
But thanjs, will try that clean BIOS update.

If the BIOS update doesnt help, I would RMA it but beware, you could be without a board for a month and they might make you pay for shipping. RMA'ing is complete BS. I had to pay for shipping to and from, I guess thats what you get for choosing the broken one lol....
Ivy
(19 items)
 
fiance pc
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Extreme4 Z77 eVGA GTX 660 Ti Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barricuda 32MB Cache 7200RPM OCZ Vertex 3 SSD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA XSPC Raystorm(Intel) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Razor GTX 570 Magicool Slim 140mmX2 Radiator XSPC Res+Pump Combo Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 22in Widescreen 1680x1050 I-Rocks Light up Rosewill Xtreme 850W Green NZXT M59 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries Qck+ Steelseries Siberia v1 Headset with USB Soundcard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR nVidia Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barricuda 7200RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU (Intel) Windows 7 x64 HP 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logisys Light Up 650Watt 10 dollar special Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy
(19 items)
 
fiance pc
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Extreme4 Z77 eVGA GTX 660 Ti Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barricuda 32MB Cache 7200RPM OCZ Vertex 3 SSD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA XSPC Raystorm(Intel) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Razor GTX 570 Magicool Slim 140mmX2 Radiator XSPC Res+Pump Combo Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 22in Widescreen 1680x1050 I-Rocks Light up Rosewill Xtreme 850W Green NZXT M59 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries Qck+ Steelseries Siberia v1 Headset with USB Soundcard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR nVidia Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barricuda 7200RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU (Intel) Windows 7 x64 HP 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logisys Light Up 650Watt 10 dollar special Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #236 of 3170
Does anyone have an asrock e4 paired with a 212 evo cooler? was anyone able to fit 4 sticks of ram under it?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k ASRock Z77 Extreme4 gtx780 DC2 Corsair Vengeance LP 16gb @1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO- 250gb/Crucial M4-128gb/~ 4.5tb Samsung bluray CM hyper 212 EVO Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 120hz+ 24" Sammy T240 Logitech G710+ Corsair 750TX HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G9x Old nvidia mousepad Sennheiser 595's/Klipsch 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k ASRock Z77 Extreme4 gtx780 DC2 Corsair Vengeance LP 16gb @1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO- 250gb/Crucial M4-128gb/~ 4.5tb Samsung bluray CM hyper 212 EVO Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 120hz+ 24" Sammy T240 Logitech G710+ Corsair 750TX HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G9x Old nvidia mousepad Sennheiser 595's/Klipsch 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #237 of 3170
Quote:
Originally Posted by aar0nsky View Post

If the BIOS update doesnt help, I would RMA it but beware, you could be without a board for a month and they might make you pay for shipping. RMA'ing is complete BS. I had to pay for shipping to and from, I guess thats what you get for choosing the broken one lol....

I've tried update now, different PCI slots, different 6-pin power combinations, disabling Lucid MVP in North Bridge controls, etc.. No good. There's no any logical pattern. Sometimes it just behaves as it should, restarts and powers off-on without a glitch and then suddenly 3-4 D6 errors in a row.
Quote:
you could be without a board for a month

That's what I am afraid of. Plus the seller doesn't have E4 Z77 in stock right now according to their website. Well, maybe will use that to get something better from them, like E6 or Fatal1ty.
Thanks for advices anyway.
post #238 of 3170
I'm in a bit of a Dilemma:

I've gotten my i5 and ATX Pro4 from MC for ~$280 with tax, when all the ATX Extreme4's ran out. Thinking it would be worth it to get the Extreme4 off Newegg for $130+ free shipping, I ordered it and now plan to return the Pro4. This will cost me ~$55 more to switch from the Pro4 to the Extreme4 since the stock for both motherboards are always out in my local MC.

I'm now having doubts if I should continue with this plan. I plan to overclock on only air, use only 1 video card, and I need USB 3.0 headers for my case.

I was told the Pro4 doesn't have VRM heatsinks, which I'm guessing isn't good for overclocking?

I was wondering what the Extreme4 has over the Pro4 and if I should go through with my plan and spend ~$55 more. Or wait for the Extreme4 to come back in stock at MC and spend only ~$20 more, but due the the popularity of that board it's probably going to be very hard to get. So is the Pro4, which is hardly in stock at my MC either after bought it.

Also my return period for my Pro4 is in a few days, and my Extreme4 will also be arriving in a few days in case I should refuse shipment.
Should I stick with the Pro4 or try and get the Extreme4?
post #239 of 3170
^ can't you just return the Pro4...and get the Extreme4 for $90 like I did....I paid $290 for i5 3570k + ASRock Extreme4 (combo discount) at MC in-store. Or is there no MC near you?
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #240 of 3170
Quote:
Originally Posted by malikq86 View Post

^ can't you just return the Pro4...and get the Extreme4 for $90 like I did....I paid $290 for i5 3570k + ASRock Extreme4 (combo discount) at MC in-store. Or is there no MC near you?

I do have a MC near me, it's just that both motherboards are hardly in stock.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] ASRock Z77 Discussion/Owners Club