Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Anybody wtih Ivy getting 10c different core temps or is it just me?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anybody wtih Ivy getting 10c different core temps or is it just me?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hola.

I've done some searching on the net but everything that comes up is vague or deals with older CPUs so I wanted to ask a specific question. I'm getting 10-15c different core temperature readings using Realtemp 3.70 & HW Monitor.

Using 3570k (4.2GHz @ 1.192) with Hyper212+ (Push/Pull) and Arctic MX-4. The first time through I applied TIM just to the CPU only and did the baggie spread trick. A couple minutes ago I cleaned everything off with 91% Alc and applied a thin full coverage layer to the cooler only using the credit card smooth out method.

Same results. Still 10-15c difference between cores. Especially Core "0" and Core 2 & 3. Core zero seems to read low. Like ambient room temp low., 2 & 3 read what the MB says it is and Core 1 sits in the middle.

Here is the avg. norm at idle if it matters. Keep in mind out here in the desert comfortable ambient temps are probably higher than most are used to.

-Ambient: 28c
-Core 0: 28c
-Core 1: 31c
-Core 2: 42c
-Core: 3 41c
-BIOS: 42c

Is this an issue with the monitors not being updated to the hardware yet? An issue with my bad luck applying TIM? Normal for core temp differences of this magnitude on Ivy? Or otherwise?

Thanks.
Edited by Gamer81 - 5/8/12 at 2:43pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 1.128V MSI Z77A-GD65 Galaxy GTX 680 GC 2GB @ 1.2GHz 16GB Ripjaws X @ 1.6GHz, DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Performance Pro SSD, 128GB, SATA III Deskstar, 750GB Single Platter, 7,200RPM, SATA III LITE-ON 16x Multi-DVD Cooler Master Hyper 212+, (1) 120mm fan 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Acer 23" 1080P, 5ms, 60hz, 100,000,000:1 Seasonic X-750, 80+ Gold, 750W, 62A Rosewill FUTURE, (6) 120mm fans 
OtherOtherOther
Scythe Kaze Server Fan Controller Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Paste Rosewill 4-Pack 120mm fans (7 total) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 1.128V MSI Z77A-GD65 Galaxy GTX 680 GC 2GB @ 1.2GHz 16GB Ripjaws X @ 1.6GHz, DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Performance Pro SSD, 128GB, SATA III Deskstar, 750GB Single Platter, 7,200RPM, SATA III LITE-ON 16x Multi-DVD Cooler Master Hyper 212+, (1) 120mm fan 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Acer 23" 1080P, 5ms, 60hz, 100,000,000:1 Seasonic X-750, 80+ Gold, 750W, 62A Rosewill FUTURE, (6) 120mm fans 
OtherOtherOther
Scythe Kaze Server Fan Controller Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Paste Rosewill 4-Pack 120mm fans (7 total) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
Temps when idling aren't very accurate, the sensors work in a way that temps get more and more accurate the closer you get to Tj Max, so use Prime95 and look at the temp, if there is still a big difference try to re-sit the heatsink.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus Z97 Pro Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X 16GB GSkil 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001 Seagate 3TB 3000DM001 Plextor PX891SA NH-C12P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Iiyama XB2783HSU Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 Corsair TX750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Lancool K62 Logitech G500 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus Z97 Pro Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X 16GB GSkil 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001 Seagate 3TB 3000DM001 Plextor PX891SA NH-C12P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Iiyama XB2783HSU Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 Corsair TX750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Lancool K62 Logitech G500 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer81 View Post

Hola.
I've done some searching on the net but everything that comes up is vague or deals with older CPUs so I wanted to ask a specific question. I'm getting 10-15c different core temperature readings using Realtemp 3.70 & HW Monitor.
Using 3570k (4.2GHz @ 1.192) with Hyper212+ (Push/Pull) and Arctic MX-4. The first time through I applied TIM just to the CPU only and did the baggie spread trick. A couple minutes ago I cleaned everything off with 91% Alc and applied a thin full coverage layer to the cooler only using the credit card smooth out method.
Same results. Still 10-15c difference between cores. Especially Core "0" and Core 3/4. Core zero seems to read low. Like ambient room temp low., 3/4 read what the MB says it is and Core 1 sits in the middle.
Here is the avg. norm at idle if it matters. Keep in mind out here in the desert comfortable ambient temps are probably higher than most are used to.
-Ambient: 28c
-Core 0: 28c
-Core 1: 31c
-Core 2: 42c
-Core: 3 41
-BIOS: 42c
Is this an issue with the monitors not being updated to the hardware yet? An issue with my bad luck applying TIM? Normal for core temp differences of this magnitude on Ivy? Or otherwise?
Thanks.

I get something similar. I usually have one core running around ~29C, two of them roughly ~32C and one that's like ~39C. I hear that's normal.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telimektar View Post

Temps when idling aren't very accurate, the sensors work in a way that temps get more and more accurate the closer you get to Tj Max, so use Prime95 and look at the temp, if there is still a big difference try to re-sit the heatsink.

Will do. Striking it now with 95s CPU test and they tightened up a bit but still seeing 10c difference between "0" and "2".

How close should the core temps be on a properly seated/TIM applied cooled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post

I get something similar. I usually have one core running around ~29C, two of them roughly ~32C and one that's like ~39C. I hear that's normal.

I hope its normal because I'm not sure how else I can apply this stuff thin and uniformly. Something tells me grain 'o rice in the center using a big direct contact cooler isnt going to get squat for coverage where its needed.



I should mention the cooler is tightened down firm and was done in the appropriate cross pattern. CMs bracket is garbage the way it still allows play. I should have bought a better cooler. At least one that had 500 LESS configurations so that it sit more firmly on the intended application.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 1.128V MSI Z77A-GD65 Galaxy GTX 680 GC 2GB @ 1.2GHz 16GB Ripjaws X @ 1.6GHz, DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Performance Pro SSD, 128GB, SATA III Deskstar, 750GB Single Platter, 7,200RPM, SATA III LITE-ON 16x Multi-DVD Cooler Master Hyper 212+, (1) 120mm fan 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Acer 23" 1080P, 5ms, 60hz, 100,000,000:1 Seasonic X-750, 80+ Gold, 750W, 62A Rosewill FUTURE, (6) 120mm fans 
OtherOtherOther
Scythe Kaze Server Fan Controller Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Paste Rosewill 4-Pack 120mm fans (7 total) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 1.128V MSI Z77A-GD65 Galaxy GTX 680 GC 2GB @ 1.2GHz 16GB Ripjaws X @ 1.6GHz, DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Performance Pro SSD, 128GB, SATA III Deskstar, 750GB Single Platter, 7,200RPM, SATA III LITE-ON 16x Multi-DVD Cooler Master Hyper 212+, (1) 120mm fan 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Acer 23" 1080P, 5ms, 60hz, 100,000,000:1 Seasonic X-750, 80+ Gold, 750W, 62A Rosewill FUTURE, (6) 120mm fans 
OtherOtherOther
Scythe Kaze Server Fan Controller Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Paste Rosewill 4-Pack 120mm fans (7 total) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
10°C seems a bit much under load, the most difference I had with my QX9650 was 5° under load but that's the only quad I ever used, all my dual cores pretty much always had identical core temps.

Grain of rice in the middle is perfectly fine, the actual cores are dead center so it's not that important if the paste doesn't cover the whole IHS. If the contact surface between the IHS and your cooler isn't perfectly flat there's not much you can do, check if your Hyper 212 isn't a bit concave or convex.

As long as temps remain in the safe range on the hottest core there's nothing to worry about anyway, even if that's annoying.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus Z97 Pro Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X 16GB GSkil 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001 Seagate 3TB 3000DM001 Plextor PX891SA NH-C12P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Iiyama XB2783HSU Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 Corsair TX750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Lancool K62 Logitech G500 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus Z97 Pro Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X 16GB GSkil 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001 Seagate 3TB 3000DM001 Plextor PX891SA NH-C12P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Iiyama XB2783HSU Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 Corsair TX750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Lancool K62 Logitech G500 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Yes, Yes, Yes !.........

I'm glad someone finally posted this. I currently have two Ivy systems running, an i7 3770K and i7 3770. With HwMonitor both have up to 10c idle temp difference between cores 0 and 1 or cores 0 and 3. I've also helped build two others that have exactly the same kind of core temp spread at idle. It's not the cpu cooler or tim application either as I've tried different combo's.

I think a chips idle core temps are an excellent indicator of it's quality. Though they are rare, I like a chip with no more than a 2c spread at idle. I know you guys say idle temps are notoriously inaccurate, BUT THE GOOD CHIPS HAVE ACCURATELY PLACED AND FUNCTIONING SENSORS! I'm convinced that the reason for Ivy chips poor idle temp spread is the tim instead of solder on the IHS. The soldered SB's are much more likely to have even core temps because of the uniformity of the process. The Ivy's on the other hand are much more likely to have wide core temp variations because the tim application to the package and the pressure from the glued down IHS will be inheritantly different from chip to chip.

I also have two i7 3820 systems running, that supposedly have soldered IHS, who's idle core temps are a very even 2c spread. I'm sure there are some who have an Ivy with a good tim and IHS application from the factory that have even temps but I will bet it's the exception and not the rule. I'm sure Intel is very aware of this and could care less knowing that only 0.12% of consumers actually check thier core temps.

Just wanted to add that the i7 3770 system I'm typing on right now, with a perfectly flat and installed Noctua NH-C12-P SE14, is...............
0 = 23, 1 = 33, 2 = 25, 3 = 28, package = 31 with HWmonitor.
Edited by mothman - 5/8/12 at 4:28pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K Asus Sabertooth X79 NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 Samsung  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 120gb SSD LG 24x Win XP Pro 64 / Win 7 Pro 64 Dell U2412M 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX650 Lian LI PC9F Logitech G500 Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K Asus Sabertooth X79 NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 Samsung  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 120gb SSD LG 24x Win XP Pro 64 / Win 7 Pro 64 Dell U2412M 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX650 Lian LI PC9F Logitech G500 Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Tbh, one of my cores ramps up the odd time like my i5 760 but they tend to stay within a 3c-5c margin and not 10c
Splash of blue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4690k Asus Maximus VII Hero Titan X 16GB Kingston HyperX Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 1TB Prolimatech Megahalems Blue Windows 8.1 FTW Edition Asus PG348Q 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X Series 650w Silverstone FT05 Roccat Kone Pure Steelseries S&S 
Audio
Microlab Solo 9C 
  hide details  
Reply
Splash of blue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4690k Asus Maximus VII Hero Titan X 16GB Kingston HyperX Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 1TB Prolimatech Megahalems Blue Windows 8.1 FTW Edition Asus PG348Q 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X Series 650w Silverstone FT05 Roccat Kone Pure Steelseries S&S 
Audio
Microlab Solo 9C 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telimektar View Post

10°C seems a bit much under load, the most difference I had with my QX9650 was 5° under load but that's the only quad I ever used, all my dual cores pretty much always had identical core temps.
Grain of rice in the middle is perfectly fine, the actual cores are dead center so it's not that important if the paste doesn't cover the whole IHS. If the contact surface between the IHS and your cooler isn't perfectly flat there's not much you can do, check if your Hyper 212 isn't a bit concave or convex.
As long as temps remain in the safe range on the hottest core there's nothing to worry about anyway, even if that's annoying.


No long term issue to worry about with cores running at different temps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothman View Post

Yes, Yes, Yes !.........
I'm glad someone finally posted this. I currently have two Ivy systems running, an i7 3770K and i7 3770. With HwMonitor both have up to 10c idle temp difference between cores 0 and 1 or cores 0 and 3. I've also helped build two others that have exactly the same kind of core temp spread at idle. It's not the cpu cooler or tim application either as I've tried different combo's.

I think a chips idle core temps are an excellent indicator of it's quality. Though they are rare, I like a chip with no more than a 2c spread at idle. I know you guys say idle temps are notoriously inaccurate, BUT THE GOOD CHIPS HAVE ACCURATELY PLACED AND FUNCTIONING SENSORS! I'm convinced that the reason for Ivy chips poor idle temp spread is the tim instead of solder on the IHS. The soldered SB's are much more likely to have even core temps because of the uniformity of the process. The Ivy's on the other hand are much more likely to have wide core temp variations because the tim application to the package and the pressure from the glued down IHS will be inheritantly different from chip to chip.
I also have two i7 3820 systems running, that supposedly have soldered IHS, who's idle core temps are a very even 2c spread. I'm sure there are some who have an Ivy with a good tim and IHS application from the factory that have even temps but I will bet it's the exception and not the rule. I'm sure Intel is very aware of this and could care less knowing that only 0.12% of consumers actually check thier core temps.
Just wanted to add that the i7 3770 system I'm typing on right now, with a perfectly flat and installed Noctua NH-C12-P SE14, is...............
0 = 23, 1 = 33, 2 = 25, 3 = 28, package = 31 with HWmonitor.

Good read. I hope your on to something. I can see myself applying TIM for the third time grain of rice style and getting the same result.

The performance of the machine is outstanding and if theres not going to be any issue with a difference in temps I'm inclined to leave it.

The Core 0 running at ambient room temp under 4.2GHz is a little suspect though. Even after throttling it up its still barely warmer than room temp when it falls back to idle and that is starting to feel like a bad sensor or a software issue. At last check the other 3 cores tightened up within 3-5c but Core 0 is still pretending it has a magical air conditioning enchantment.



Thanks for the replies.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 1.128V MSI Z77A-GD65 Galaxy GTX 680 GC 2GB @ 1.2GHz 16GB Ripjaws X @ 1.6GHz, DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Performance Pro SSD, 128GB, SATA III Deskstar, 750GB Single Platter, 7,200RPM, SATA III LITE-ON 16x Multi-DVD Cooler Master Hyper 212+, (1) 120mm fan 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Acer 23" 1080P, 5ms, 60hz, 100,000,000:1 Seasonic X-750, 80+ Gold, 750W, 62A Rosewill FUTURE, (6) 120mm fans 
OtherOtherOther
Scythe Kaze Server Fan Controller Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Paste Rosewill 4-Pack 120mm fans (7 total) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 1.128V MSI Z77A-GD65 Galaxy GTX 680 GC 2GB @ 1.2GHz 16GB Ripjaws X @ 1.6GHz, DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Performance Pro SSD, 128GB, SATA III Deskstar, 750GB Single Platter, 7,200RPM, SATA III LITE-ON 16x Multi-DVD Cooler Master Hyper 212+, (1) 120mm fan 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Acer 23" 1080P, 5ms, 60hz, 100,000,000:1 Seasonic X-750, 80+ Gold, 750W, 62A Rosewill FUTURE, (6) 120mm fans 
OtherOtherOther
Scythe Kaze Server Fan Controller Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Paste Rosewill 4-Pack 120mm fans (7 total) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
It's normal. I get 10C difference between my cores too, and I reseated about a dozen times. Many users in Ivy Owners thread report the same. Just ignore it and always go by the hottest core.
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
lol I get difference's like that with Sandy
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel Core i7 5820K] {4.5GHz} [Asus Rampage V Extreme] [R9 290X Crossfire] {1205/1375} [Crucial DDR4] {16GB-2400MHz} 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
[Western Digital WD10EALS] [Samsung 840 Evo 250GB] [Western Digitan WD10EZEX] [Lite-On iHAS-524-B] 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
[Custom Loop - Twin 360mm Rads] [Windows 8.1 Pro x64] [Samsung Syncmaster BX2450] [Logitech G510] 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
[XFX Pro 1250] [CaseLabs Magnum M10] [Logitech G500] [GPGR Large] 
Audio
[Creative Sound Blaster Z] 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel Core i7 5820K] {4.5GHz} [Asus Rampage V Extreme] [R9 290X Crossfire] {1205/1375} [Crucial DDR4] {16GB-2400MHz} 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
[Western Digital WD10EALS] [Samsung 840 Evo 250GB] [Western Digitan WD10EZEX] [Lite-On iHAS-524-B] 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
[Custom Loop - Twin 360mm Rads] [Windows 8.1 Pro x64] [Samsung Syncmaster BX2450] [Logitech G510] 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
[XFX Pro 1250] [CaseLabs Magnum M10] [Logitech G500] [GPGR Large] 
Audio
[Creative Sound Blaster Z] 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Anybody wtih Ivy getting 10c different core temps or is it just me?