New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need advice

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I was recently given an Asus Striker Extreme motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad core CPU (2.67Ghz) and 2 Nvidia 8800GTS (NO bridge sadly) and I'm wondering (Since the Asus board is dead) it worth investing a little more to get another LGA775 / DDR2 PCIE board for that core 2 extreme? My current setup is AMD Athlon X2 2.80ghz, Asrock 770DE+ Mainboard (Was using a ATI radeon HD4650, but trade it for the 8800GTS)

No, I don't want to "Sell all this old crap" and upgrade to some i7 rig and have all these still usable parts laying around going to waste (The ones I can't sell that is). What I want to do is use my current RAM (4GB DDR800) with whatever CPU is better. I do have an i3 CPU, But as far as I can tell, There aren't any boards out there that will work with an i3 that have DDR2 RAM and 2 PCI-E slots.


Can I even get a decent LGA775 / DDR2 / SLI compatible board anymore? I really like the features the striker extreme has, but it's dead and sadly Asus won't honour an RMA on it because of it's age.
post #2 of 21
Here's a thread dedicated to another member finding a 775 CPU / Mobo.

There are posts there from 'SkillzKillz' who has this motherboard - it has two PCI x16 slots. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136045

Using this 'mod' you can enable SLI on that motherboard. I suggest you PM him wink.gif
http://www.ngohq.com/news/16490-how-to-enable-nvidia-sli-on-all-motherboards.html

Fruitflavour also posted in that thread, he has a Maximus Formula X38, and that also has two PCI x16 slots. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/Maximus_Formula/

Again, using the same mod, you can enable SLI.

Good luck thumb.gif
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMogg View Post

Here's a thread dedicated to another member finding a 775 CPU / Mobo.
There are posts there from 'SkillzKillz' who has this motherboard - it has two PCI x16 slots. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136045
Using this 'mod' you can enable SLI on that motherboard. I suggest you PM him wink.gif
http://www.ngohq.com/news/16490-how-to-enable-nvidia-sli-on-all-motherboards.html
Fruitflavour also posted in that thread, he has a Maximus Formula X38, and that also has two PCI x16 slots. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/Maximus_Formula/
Again, using the same mod, you can enable SLI.
Good luck thumb.gif

Yeah, I've looked into it. Only problem is I don't have the bridge for the cards, So I can't do much sadly. And finding just the bridge is rather difficult apparently.
post #4 of 21
Actually the SLI bridge is quite easy to find:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Flexible-Electronic-SLI-Bridge-PCI-E-Video-Computer-Connector-5-for-NVidia-/280830915573?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4162d3b3f5#ht_4323wt_1106

eVGA also sells them on their store.

As for your motherboard questions, the Core 2 Quad is going to severely beat the Athlon II. However 775 boards are EXTREMELY expensive, and DDR3 is honestly dirt cheap. You can get 4GB for $20. Why not get a board for your i3 and some cheap DDR3 to get you started? Would make a LOT more sense than blowing silly amounts of money on dead sockets. You've already got to buy a board anyway, whats another $20 for DDR3?
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

Actually the SLI bridge is quite easy to find:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Flexible-Electronic-SLI-Bridge-PCI-E-Video-Computer-Connector-5-for-NVidia-/280830915573?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4162d3b3f5#ht_4323wt_1106
eVGA also sells them on their store.
As for your motherboard questions, the Core 2 Quad is going to severely beat the Athlon II. However 775 boards are EXTREMELY expensive, and DDR3 is honestly dirt cheap. You can get 4GB for $20. Why not get a board for your i3 and some cheap DDR3 to get you started? Would make a LOT more sense than blowing silly amounts of money on dead sockets. You've already got to buy a board anyway, whats another $20 for DDR3?

I was told by a few people that my Athlon X2 would spank the i3 since it's only a dual core as well. Not to mention I don't have any money, So I just want to use what I've already got. Plus I have no idea what socket this i3 is because it came out of a Dell someone threw out because of a bad harddrive, They said it worked fine until the drive crapped out.
post #6 of 21
dude i guarantee there's at least 50 people on OCN with multiple sli bridges just sitting around.
I might can dig one up..you pay for shipping wink.gif
I'd try to get a nice 775 board :yessir.gif:
..or you could get some coin for that cpu on e-bay and build a s/ib rig
Edited by Schmuckley - 5/9/12 at 5:46pm
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

dude i guarantee there's at least 50 people on OCN with multiple sli bridges just sitting around.
I'd try to get a nice 775 board :yessir.gif:
..or you could get some coin for that cpu on e-bay and build a s/ib rig

I'm working on a Maximus Formula board from someone, Or trying to resurrect the Striker Extreme I have. Haha.
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDan View Post

I was told by a few people that my Athlon X2 would spank the i3 since it's only a dual core as well. Not to mention I don't have any money, So I just want to use what I've already got. Plus I have no idea what socket this i3 is because it came out of a Dell someone threw out because of a bad harddrive, They said it worked fine until the drive crapped out.

Whoever told you this is either GREATLY misinformed or a complete idiot. The SandyBridge based i3 2100/2120 and the like beat out nearly every AMD CPU, from the Athlon up to the FX line in some way or another. Your Athlon X2 is a dual core, the i3 is a dual core with hyper-threading, the computer sees it as 4 addressable cores, thus functioning very similarly to a quad core. Not to mention IPC on the Intel processors is far better than what AMD has going.

As to the original question, you can find LGA 775 boards on the Market Place here on the forums.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Whoever told you this is either GREATLY misinformed or a complete idiot. The SandyBridge based i3 2100/2120 and the like beat out nearly every AMD CPU, from the Athlon up to the FX line in some way or another. Your Athlon X2 is a dual core, the i3 is a dual core with hyper-threading, the computer sees it as 4 addressable cores, thus functioning very similarly to a quad core. Not to mention IPC on the Intel processors is far better than what AMD has going.
As to the original question, you can find LGA 775 boards on the Market Place here on the forums.

How do I know if it's SandyBridge based or not?
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDan View Post

How do I know if it's SandyBridge based or not?

All 2nd generation "Core" processors are SandyBridge, so if it is a Core i3 21xx it is Sandy. The only other possibility are the older Clarkdale which would be the Core i3 5xx series.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions