Alrighty, so here is my progress with pictures so far. Please excuse the photo quality as I took them pretty fast, it was dimly lit in my basement and I had no time to edit them. I promise to have some nice photos for a final build picture.
Here is an image of my "new" card. It's an unlocked MSI Twin Frozr III 6950 that I purchased off OCN member -tPg- HeadShot. I'm debating if should wrap the shroud, but at this point I like the silver.
So the first thing I set out doing was removing labels, just to give things a more sleek look. First I started with the PSU and then the stickers on the front of the HDD. I used a blow dryer to heat up the glue, proceeded to remove the stickers and then cleaned up any residue with rubbing alcohol.
Next I set out to remove the cables from the top panel of the CM 690 II. As you can see in the photo below they're only secured by a small layer of glue, it can be removed easily without damage using an exacto knife. You can glue them back down with hotglue when re-installing, but I chose not to.
So my big secret plan was to use clothing dye to dye my cables. I know you can use Rit Dye to dye plastic as my friend has used it to die parts of their ski boots. I went to Walmart to locate some Rit Dye but could not find any, but I did find the following:
I proceeded to mix them in with distilled water, as not to irritate any of the electronics with minerals. I prepared a large bowl of distilled water to rinse them off in while I placed the water to a high boil. I went downstairs to grab my cables for dying only to return to see the pot had boiled over. Make sure you don't get this on any plastics or fabrics, I ruined one of my favorite shirts and almost stained my counter top.
I placed the cables in the boiling mixture to sit over night and when I returned in the morning to wash them off I found it did nothing but tint the connector. I attribute this to the fact that it was not actually Rit Dye and was not nearly concentrated enough, when my friend dyed his ski boots he used the 8 oz bottle, this was only about 2 oz. I would recommend you purchase Rit Dye if you wan't to do this properly.
Irritated I kept working. I cleaned my radiator and remounted the block with some Artic MX-4. I have never applied thermal paste to something before, it was nerve racking but super staisfiying replacing the old nasty stuff with the fresh stinky stuff. I decided I would also install the Cooler Master PWM fans I had just purchased. This was the perfect time to take some good photos, the sunlight shawn through the window in my darkly lit basement to grab some nice contrasty and shadowy photos.
Still aggravated, I called around town and could not locate any Rit Dye. Frustrated I remembered when I had used vinyl spray dye to help my uncle change the colour of the dash in his truck, so I proceded to try and locate some in town but had no luck. As a last resort I decided to get some Krylon Fusion and just paint the cables, which turned out much better than I had anticipated. I painted all the fan cables and every visible cable in the case.
That's all I have to show for now until my vinyl comes in. I decided to annex the DVD player completely instead of wrapping it, but I have some other things to wrap.