Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Does this setup work?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does this setup work?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I currently have 2x2 GB sticks of RAM. I'm using 2 out of my 4 slots.

1) http://ncix.com/products/?sku=61274&vpn=KVR1333D3S8N9%2F2G&manufacture=Kingston (buy two of these)

2) http://ncix.com/products/?sku=54791&vpn=CMV4GX3M1A1333C9&manufacture=Corsair

3) http://ncix.com/products/?sku=52411&vpn=KVR1333D3N9%2F4G&manufacture=Kingston&promoid=1018

4) http://ncix.com/products/?sku=47642&vpn=CT2KIT25664BA1339&manufacture=CRUCIAL%20TECHNOLOGY&promoid=1260

5) http://ncix.com/products/?sku=68900&vpn=BLS2KIT2G3D1339DS1S00&manufacture=CRUCIAL%20TECHNOLOGY&promoid=1260

6) http://ncix.com/products/?sku=69519&vpn=AE34G1339U2U&manufacture=AMD&promoid=1360

7) http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60305&vpn=KVR1066D3N7%2F4G&manufacture=Kingston

8) http://ncix.com/products/?sku=55048&vpn=CMX4GX3M1A1333C9&manufacture=Corsair

9) http://ncix.com/products/?sku=40072&vpn=TW3X4G1333C9A&manufacture=Corsair

Which one of those should I buy? I am leaning towards a 4 GB stick. Why? Because if I add in a 4 GB stick, I'll only have 3 sticks instead of 4 sticks, which means my overclocks might be more stable. In addition, I'll have one more spot for RAM if I ever decide that I need more RAM. Furthermore, if I upgrade to something like 16 GB, the 2 GB sticks will be useless, but I will be able to recycle the 4 GB stick.
Edited by tahayassen - 5/9/12 at 3:15pm
post #2 of 8
Thread Starter 
Please help.
post #3 of 8
Just slow down, you posted 9 links. We have to read and look at the links. But your information is lacking. Why on earth would you just buy one 4GB stick for. And why do you need 16GB of ram for? You need either 2 or 4 memory slots not 3 also. Thanks

Edit none of those honestly. Either buy 2 more to match your current ram. Or if you just want 16Gb then buy either 4 x 4GB sticks or just get a everyday normal 2 x 4Gb set.
Edited by KILLER_K - 5/9/12 at 3:49pm
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER_K View Post

Just slow down, you posted 9 links. We have to read and look at the links. But your information is lacking. Why on earth would you just buy one 4GB stick for. and why do you need 16GB of ram for? You need either 2 or 4 memory slots not 3 also. Thanks

I personally want to upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB. Maybe in the future, I might want to upgrade to 16 GB. Why 2 or 4 memory slots instead of 3?

I want to buy one 4 GB stick for the following reasons:
I'll only have 3 sticks instead of 4 sticks, which means my overclocks might be more stable.
I'll have one more spot for RAM if I ever decide that I need more RAM.
Furthermore, if I upgrade to something like 16 GB in the future, the 2 GB sticks will be useless, but I will be able to recycle the 4 GB stick.

Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahayassen View Post

I personally want to upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB. Maybe in the future, I might want to upgrade to 16 GB. Why 2 or 4 memory slots instead of 3?
I want to buy one 4 GB stick for the following reasons:
I'll only have 3 sticks instead of 4 sticks, which means my overclocks might be more stable.
I'll have one more spot for RAM if I ever decide that I need more RAM.
Furthermore, if I upgrade to something like 16 GB in the future, the 2 GB sticks will be useless, but I will be able to recycle the 4 GB stick.
Thanks in advance.

Having 3 sticks would throw you out of dual-channel mode.

And if you're concerned about having all 4 DIMMS occupied (and its effect on your overclock) now, then why would you consider filling the empty last slot with another stick of RAM in the future?

Do you know if your current overclock would even be hindered with all four memory slots filled?

If you really want 8GB of RAM, then your easiest and most senseful solution would be a 2x4GB kit, and sell/get rid of your 2x2GB kit.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

Having 3 sticks would throw you out of dual-channel mode.
And if you're concerned about having all 4 DIMMS occupied (and its effect on your overclock) now, then why would you consider filling the empty last slot with another stick of RAM in the future?
Do you know if your current overclock would even be hindered with all four memory slots filled?
If you really want 8GB of RAM, then your easiest and most senseful solution would be a 2x4GB kit, and sell/get rid of your 2x2GB kit.

Why would have 3 sticks throw me out of dual-channel mode? Let's say the first stick becomes full, wouldn't the computer have two more sticks to use at the same time?

I'm concerned about having all 4 DIMMS occupied, because it may affect my overclock. I might still consider use the last slot, but until I actually decide to use it, I'll only have 3 sticks during the meantime. I'm not sure if my overclock will be hindered with all four filled.

Selling my current RAM sounds reasonable.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahayassen View Post

Why would have 3 sticks throw me out of dual-channel mode? Let's say the first stick becomes full, wouldn't the computer have two more sticks to use at the same time?
I'm concerned about having all 4 DIMMS occupied, because it may affect my overclock. I might still consider use the last slot, but until I actually decide to use it, I'll only have 3 sticks during the meantime. I'm not sure if my overclock will be hindered with all four filled.
Selling my current RAM sounds reasonable.

Dual channel mode functions when there are electrically-identical conditions in RAM slots. When you don't have electrically-identical conditions, then multi-channel mode cannot function. Some Intel-based motherboards will support "asymmetric (or asynchronous) dual channel" operation, where only some of your RAM achieves dual-channel performance/speeds (but that varies with motherboards, and IIRC is specific to Intel systems--pretty sure AMD systems don't support this). It's like "1.5 channel RAM, if your system supports it.

Since you would have 3 modules installed, then you couldn't have electrically-identical conditions in your RAM slots (since one slot would be empty).
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
For dual channel operation the mobo requires two or four DIMMs. The use of three DIMMs will only allow single channel operation which is slightly slower than dual channel in most cases.

As the folks above indicated you should use (2) DIMMs if you're concerned with the best OC and the (2) DIMMs should be from one, matched tested RAM kit. You may not have as good of OC'ing success with (2) DIMMs sold individually according to Corsair as the latencies are for the specific RAM kit or individual DIMM vs. (2) of the same DIMM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Does this setup work?