Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [BSON] AMD Counter-Attacks GeForce GTX 670, Questions NVIDIA's Kepler Availability
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[BSON] AMD Counter-Attacks GeForce GTX 670, Questions NVIDIA's Kepler Availability - Page 3  

post #21 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcde7ago View Post

Quote:
In contrast,both GTX 680 and GTX 690 have not been supplied in any significant volume and continue to be unavailable at major stores like Newegg in the US and Alternate Europe (as of noon, Wednesday May 8th).
Yes, because it has NOTHING to do with the fact that demand for Kepler is so ridiculously bonkers that even if Nvidia could churn out these cards, who's to say that they STILL wouldn't be flying off the shelves/e-shelves?
This just propaganda for those on the fence about which way to go, and if they're impatient enough, this may push them over the edge toward the Red side, especially for the people tired of F5'ing multiple sites a day just to get a *chance* to buy a 680 or a 690 (let's not even talk about the 670 dropping - I predict 0 stock of that as well, given early performance indications).
Unfortunately, I don't know how effective this kind of advertising/marketing strategy is, as the people AMD are targeting with it that can actually afford to buy GPUs for upwards of $400, and if those people are sticking it out due to brand loyalty or because they just really want Kepler, this kind of poke will have little-to-no effect on those people. Yes, there will be those that will be pushed over the edge. But I can't imagine that it's a significant enough of a number that would have some sort of negative effect on the Green side.
And then there's the whole, "we know you've had no issues stocking the 7000 series, and we know you just dropped the price of the 7970 to $480 weeks ago just to compete with the 680, so doesn't this seem a tiny, tiny bit desperate in some regard?"
I mean, it CAN'T be a mere coincidence that this press release drops on the same day that Nvidia is given priority by TSMC to hit their May/June 28nm supply numbers. This is just free advertising for Nvidia, because everyone knows they can't keep the shelves stocked due to DEMAND, not because Nvidia is withholding stupid amounts of profits. Yes, supply is obviously nowhere near optimal, but when you're running out of $500-1000 GPUs in less than 5 minutes that they're stocked at ANY e-tailer, you're doing something incredibly, incredibly right.
And if we switched the roles of AMD and Nvidia RIGHT NOW, i'd be saying the exact same thing about AMD.

680 demand obviously is quite high right now but it's foolish to pretend like yields aren't a huge part of the issue as well. You get to the point where if enough rumors say the exact same thing generally there's some truth to it. From before the 680s launch til now we've seen leaks of really bad yield issues from Nvidia. SA just reported less then 10k total dies shipped. Can't say for sure whether that's accurate obviously but I'm sure there's some truth to it.

And again if you're into overclocking which I'd imagine most people on this site are a single 7970 is a pretty awesome card. 6%-10% slower at stock is easily made up for by the fact most 7970s are hitting 30-40% OCs pretty easily. Still wouldn't be too eager to jump into a 7k series CF set up though.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k @ 4.5ghz / Aquacomputer Cuplex Kyros HF N... Asus Z97 pro Sapphire 290 CF / Aquacomputer Kyrographics Nickel G Skill 16gb 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M4  WD Data Drive Aquacomputer Aqualis 450ml Alphacool HF V2 D5 top 
CoolingCoolingOSKeyboard
XSPC RX V3 360 XSPC EX 360 Ducky Shine 3 TKL  
PowerCaseMouse
AX 850 750D Deathadder 2013 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k @ 4.5ghz / Aquacomputer Cuplex Kyros HF N... Asus Z97 pro Sapphire 290 CF / Aquacomputer Kyrographics Nickel G Skill 16gb 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M4  WD Data Drive Aquacomputer Aqualis 450ml Alphacool HF V2 D5 top 
CoolingCoolingOSKeyboard
XSPC RX V3 360 XSPC EX 360 Ducky Shine 3 TKL  
PowerCaseMouse
AX 850 750D Deathadder 2013 
  hide details  
post #22 of 532
All of what they say is true and I don't dispute AMD. However, I still want a 680. Sucks that I won't be able to find one before Diablo III's release.
post #23 of 532
The gtx 680 is not impossible to find. You can buy a PNY 680 at Dell.com for $50 CHEAPER than newegg.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G3258 @ 4.4ghz 1.298v  MSI H97 PC Mate(MS-7850) AMD Gigabyte R9 270 (OC: 1100/1500) ADATA 2 x 4GB 1600mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY XLR8 128GB SSD Hitachi 640GB  Toshiba 2TB 6.0gb/s 24X DVD-RW Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper T4 Windows 7 Home 64-bit LG 24' 1080p Lite-On 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master V650 Gold Rated Enermax Ostrog Microsoft Realtek 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G3258 @ 4.4ghz 1.298v  MSI H97 PC Mate(MS-7850) AMD Gigabyte R9 270 (OC: 1100/1500) ADATA 2 x 4GB 1600mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY XLR8 128GB SSD Hitachi 640GB  Toshiba 2TB 6.0gb/s 24X DVD-RW Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper T4 Windows 7 Home 64-bit LG 24' 1080p Lite-On 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master V650 Gold Rated Enermax Ostrog Microsoft Realtek 
  hide details  
post #24 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcde7ago View Post

Quote:
In contrast,both GTX 680 and GTX 690 have not been supplied in any significant volume and continue to be unavailable at major stores like Newegg in the US and Alternate Europe (as of noon, Wednesday May 8th).
Yes, because it has NOTHING to do with the fact that demand for Kepler is so ridiculously bonkers that even if Nvidia could churn out these cards, who's to say that they STILL wouldn't be flying off the shelves/e-shelves? rolleyes.gif
This just propaganda for those on the fence about which way to go, and if they're impatient enough, this may push them over the edge toward the Red side, especially for the people tired of F5'ing multiple sites a day just to get a *chance* to buy a 680 or a 690 (let's not even talk about the 670 dropping - I predict 0 stock of that as well, given early performance indications).
Unfortunately, I don't know how effective this kind of advertising/marketing strategy is, as the people AMD are targeting with it that can actually afford to buy GPUs for upwards of $400, and if those people are sticking it out due to brand loyalty or because they just really want Kepler, this kind of poke will have little-to-no effect on those people. Yes, there will be those that will be pushed over the edge. But I can't imagine that it's a significant enough of a number that would have some sort of negative effect on the Green side.
And then there's the whole, "we know you've had no issues stocking the 7000 series, and we know you just dropped the price of the 7970 to $480 weeks ago just to compete with the 680, so doesn't this seem a tiny, tiny bit desperate in some regard?"
I mean, it CAN'T be a mere coincidence that this press release drops on the same day that Nvidia is given priority by TSMC to hit their May/June 28nm supply numbers. This is just free advertising for Nvidia, because everyone knows they can't keep the shelves stocked due to DEMAND, not because Nvidia is withholding stupid amounts of profits. Yes, supply is obviously nowhere near optimal, but when you're running out of $500-1000 GPUs in less than 5 minutes that they're stocked at ANY e-tailer, you're doing something incredibly, incredibly right.
And if we switched the roles of AMD and Nvidia RIGHT NOW, i'd be saying the exact same thing about AMD. thumb.gif

It does have nothing to do with the "fact" that demand for Kepler is "so rediculously bonkers." That's because it's not actually a fact; it's your opinion, potentially because your personal demand for a Kepler card might be "so ridiculously bonkers." Demand being a difficult thing to quantify, I don't see how you can back up your argument, particularly when they can't keep the shelves stocked to supply any reliable numbers one way or another.

I've never seen a GPU release have this much trouble keeping stock and with so much talk about yield problems. With other strong indications of production woes, it is logical to assume that they are not able to ship them in mass, and that what you just rambled on about above is not the case.

Furthermore, if TSMC gave nVidia priority on their 28nm process to make up for May/June, wouldn't that further support the fact that yields have been abysmal to date?

That said, I would really like to see nVidia's mid-range cards. I'm in the market for a new GPU, and I don't want to make a move until I see some concrete information about something like the 660ti on power/performance and price.
Perpetual Upgrade
(14 items)
 
Server
(17 items)
 
Galago UltraPro
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K MSI Z87M Gaming Sapphire R9 290X (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSKeyboard
128GB Crucial M4 (2x) 500GB RAID 0 Windows 7 Pro 64bit Corsair K70 Vengence 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X650 Aerocool DS Cube Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 MSI 870A-G54 nVidia 8400GS (2x2GB) Patriot DDR3-1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
(2x4GB) Patriot DDR3-1600 (3x) 320GB RAID 5 (1x) 1TB Backup Storage Coolermaster TX3 
OSPowerOther
Proxmox Hypervisor Antec TruePower 430W HP Smart Array P400 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4750HQ Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200  (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 90GB Intel mSATA SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
500GB 5400RPM HDD Ubuntu 13.04 14" 1080p ColorPro IPS Galago UltraPro 
  hide details  
Perpetual Upgrade
(14 items)
 
Server
(17 items)
 
Galago UltraPro
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K MSI Z87M Gaming Sapphire R9 290X (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSKeyboard
128GB Crucial M4 (2x) 500GB RAID 0 Windows 7 Pro 64bit Corsair K70 Vengence 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X650 Aerocool DS Cube Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 MSI 870A-G54 nVidia 8400GS (2x2GB) Patriot DDR3-1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
(2x4GB) Patriot DDR3-1600 (3x) 320GB RAID 5 (1x) 1TB Backup Storage Coolermaster TX3 
OSPowerOther
Proxmox Hypervisor Antec TruePower 430W HP Smart Array P400 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4750HQ Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200  (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 90GB Intel mSATA SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
500GB 5400RPM HDD Ubuntu 13.04 14" 1080p ColorPro IPS Galago UltraPro 
  hide details  
post #25 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

680 demand obviously is quite high right now but it's foolish to pretend like yields aren't a huge part of the issue as well. You get to the point where if enough rumors say the exact same thing generally there's some truth to it. From before the 680s launch til now we've seen leaks of really bad yield issues from Nvidia. SA just reported less then 10k total dies shipped. Can't say for sure whether that's accurate obviously but I'm sure there's some truth to it.
And again if you're into overclocking which I'd imagine most people on this site are a single 7970 is a pretty awesome card. 6%-10% slower at stock is easily made up for by the fact most 7970s are hitting 30-40% OCs pretty easily. Still wouldn't be too eager to jump into a 7k series CF set up though.

I never questioned that. We all know that's true. But if OC'ing and marginal performance variations between competing cards were the only things that mattered to some people, nobody would be buying 680s, and it would be the 7970s flying off the shelves, especially after a price drop.

Regardless of low yields, if there is no demand for something, there's no reason for it to fly off the shelves, period. Especially not when there are cheaper, similar alternatives out there. I'm inclined to say that the lack of stock is more an issue of high demand than it is about low supply numbers. We're talking about $500-1000 GPUs here, not something cheap that people are just F5'ing websites all day for.
2560x1440p Gaming
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930K @ 4.7 Ghz (1.368v) ASUS P9X79 Pro Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 SLI 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Quad-Channel 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
3x Crucial M4 256 GB SSDs, 4x WD RE4 2 TB HDDs ... Lite-on BD/DVD/CD Drive XSPC RayStorm CPU Block XSPC RX360 Rad + XSPC RX120 Rad 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
6x Scythe AP-15 GTs Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit Achieva QH270 (LG) 2560x1440, IPS, 27" Logitech G19 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200 Corsair 800D Logitech G502 Proteus Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card Champion Edition 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10.vi Corsair Vengeance 1100 Headset/Mic Lamptron FC Touch Fan Controller WinTV HVR-950Q TV Tuner 
OtherOther
Bigfoot Networks Killer 2100 NIC ASUS PCE-AC68 WiFi 
  hide details  
2560x1440p Gaming
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930K @ 4.7 Ghz (1.368v) ASUS P9X79 Pro Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 SLI 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Quad-Channel 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
3x Crucial M4 256 GB SSDs, 4x WD RE4 2 TB HDDs ... Lite-on BD/DVD/CD Drive XSPC RayStorm CPU Block XSPC RX360 Rad + XSPC RX120 Rad 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
6x Scythe AP-15 GTs Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit Achieva QH270 (LG) 2560x1440, IPS, 27" Logitech G19 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200 Corsair 800D Logitech G502 Proteus Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card Champion Edition 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10.vi Corsair Vengeance 1100 Headset/Mic Lamptron FC Touch Fan Controller WinTV HVR-950Q TV Tuner 
OtherOther
Bigfoot Networks Killer 2100 NIC ASUS PCE-AC68 WiFi 
  hide details  
post #26 of 532
Why has it taken so long for AMD to release their dual GPU card, I mean given the head start it should have happened by now...>?
post #27 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaRLiToS View Post

I'm also unsure what GPU to get, 7970 or GTX 680 4GB edition.

Hold on for a while. and get the Radeon HD 7970 Ghz edition

http://www.techpowerup.com/165559/AMD-Readies-Radeon-HD-7970-GHz-Edition.html

It looks 1250 Mhz is easily achievable. AMD's memory bandwidth advantage makes it more future proof than GTX 680.And when it comes to the most demanding games HD 7970 wins more

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038697359&postcount=75
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038697867&postcount=78
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
post #28 of 532
7950 and 7970 needs to be priced @ $299 and $399 respectively, just like the 5850/5870 and 6950/6970.

Obviously this is all PR. It's true there's little to no stock of the 600 series from Nvidia, but once they are available AMD will have to lower prices again.

Smart move by AMD imo. Take advantage of the low stock and high prices while you can thumb.gif
i7k
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asrock z87 Extreme6 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swifttech H220X Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll SAMSUNG 2433BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 850W Corsair 750D Logitech G600 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster Z Sennheiser HD 380 Pro 
  hide details  
i7k
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asrock z87 Extreme6 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swifttech H220X Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll SAMSUNG 2433BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 850W Corsair 750D Logitech G600 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster Z Sennheiser HD 380 Pro 
  hide details  
post #29 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaRLiToS View Post

I'm also unsure what GPU to get, 7970 or GTX 680 4GB edition.

Hold on for a while. and get the Radeon HD 7970 Ghz edition

http://www.techpowerup.com/165559/AMD-Readies-Radeon-HD-7970-GHz-Edition.html

It looks 1250 Mhz is easily achievable. AMD's memory bandwidth advantage makes it more future proof than GTX 680.And when it comes to the most demanding games HD 7970 wins more

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038697359&postcount=75
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038697867&postcount=78

And when it comes to drivers that don't make you want to pull your hair out, NVidia wins.

Believe me, I tried an Asus HD7950 DCII last month, and it made me never want to try another AMD card again.
5 GHz SFF Box
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2700K @ 5.0 GHz, 1.38V Asus Maximus IV GENE Asus GTX 670 DC II 4x4GB Samsung 30nm @ DDR3-2133 9-9-9-21 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M3 SSD WD Velociraptor 500GB WD Caviar Black 1TB WD Caviar Green 2TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermalright HR-02 (GT AP-15 Push/Pull) Windows 7 Pro x64 LG 27" 2560x1440 S-IPS (Calibrated with Eye-One) CM Quickfire Rapid 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-750 Silverstone SG09 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX + Shure SRH840 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-3570K Gigabyte H61N-USB3 Mini-ITX 2x4GB Samsung 30nm DDR3 Samsung 830 128GB SSD 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Scorpio Blue 500GB Win 7 Pro x64 Antec 90W DC-DC/Delta power brick Antec ISK 110 
  hide details  
5 GHz SFF Box
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2700K @ 5.0 GHz, 1.38V Asus Maximus IV GENE Asus GTX 670 DC II 4x4GB Samsung 30nm @ DDR3-2133 9-9-9-21 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M3 SSD WD Velociraptor 500GB WD Caviar Black 1TB WD Caviar Green 2TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermalright HR-02 (GT AP-15 Push/Pull) Windows 7 Pro x64 LG 27" 2560x1440 S-IPS (Calibrated with Eye-One) CM Quickfire Rapid 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-750 Silverstone SG09 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX + Shure SRH840 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-3570K Gigabyte H61N-USB3 Mini-ITX 2x4GB Samsung 30nm DDR3 Samsung 830 128GB SSD 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Scorpio Blue 500GB Win 7 Pro x64 Antec 90W DC-DC/Delta power brick Antec ISK 110 
  hide details  
post #30 of 532
just enjoying ur cards guys...
HD 7970 were meant to 480 ever since the release.
there is an artical where AMD said HD7970 were should post to be around 480~500.
it's just becuz they came out 3 months earlier than gtx 680, so why bother selling cheaper, if there's no competition.
they drop the price becuz gtx680 were only 500 for around same performance , some games better.
so now they lower the price to what they originally offer to. so what's the point.
no point, it's buss. it's marketing. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [BSON] AMD Counter-Attacks GeForce GTX 670, Questions NVIDIA's Kepler Availability