Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Which card to put under water?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which card to put under water?

Poll Results: Which card?

 
  • 42% (16)
    7970
  • 15% (6)
    670
  • 42% (16)
    680
38 Total Votes  
post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Okay, so with 680's, 7970's and now the 670's all having numbers and figures associated with them, which one should I get and put under water? I'd get a used 7970 which makes it about the same price as a 670 but with a waterblock the voltage control of the 7970 really comes into play. Would I not be able to push it further and get more FPS out of it? So;

7970 watercooled?
670 watercooled?
or 680 watercooled?

I have until June to decide and I go back to Australia and prices get crazy again tongue.gif

Thanks,

Alex.
post #2 of 27
680 Runs hotter, Obvious choice really biggrin.gif
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianHak View Post

680 Runs hotter, Obvious choice really biggrin.gif

Does that mean 7970? Heat isn't really an issue, I'll have a single card and a 2600k on 7x120mm of radiator, so it's all price and power vs performance.
post #4 of 27
7970 is cooler then a 680, AMD is always cooler, everybody knows that biggrin.gif
post #5 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianHak View Post

7970 is cooler then a 680, AMD is always cooler, everybody knows that biggrin.gif

Heat isn't the issue >.>
post #6 of 27
My 680 idles about 5c lower than my 470's did on water. If you can wait til a 680 is released with voltage control it will be a beast on water
Daily Driver
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700k ASUS Hero VIII EVGA GTX 980 TI Corsair Ballistx Sport DDR4 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 250GB SSD Custom Water loop Windows 10 enterprise XB270UH 
PowerCase
EVGA G2 750w Thermaltake Core P5 
  hide details  
Reply
Daily Driver
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700k ASUS Hero VIII EVGA GTX 980 TI Corsair Ballistx Sport DDR4 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 250GB SSD Custom Water loop Windows 10 enterprise XB270UH 
PowerCase
EVGA G2 750w Thermaltake Core P5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 27
What are you looking for then? How it will look? Or to Clock?
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipple16 View Post

My 680 idles about 5c lower than my 470's did on water. If you can wait til a 680 is released with voltage control it will be a beast on water

Yeah but will one come out and will I be able to get one before June 12th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianHak View Post

What are you looking for then? How it will look? Or to Clock?

Whatever gives the best performance vs price. I could get a 670 and a waterblock for the price of a 680 and outperform a 680 easily.

But I could get a used 7970 with block inbetween a watercooled 670 and watercooled 680 and clock that high and beat out both of them maybe?
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianHak View Post

680 Runs hotter, Obvious choice really biggrin.gif

False! The 680 runs at a higher temperature, but the 7970 produces significantly more heat. Temperature =/= Heat. Temperature is intensity, heat is quantity. Water cooling is best at removing high quantities of heat, which has little to do with the core temperature of a card on stock cooling.

The 680 really doesn't need to be watercooled, reference designs have limited voltage control, and that's where the bottleneck is right now. No amount of cooling capacity is going to help. The 7970 however, has no voltage issues, and could see some real benefits from water cooling. If the 680 Classified, and other non reference boards like it introduce full manual voltage, then those 680s will be great candidates for water cooling. But as it stands right now, the 7970 is the obvious choice if you are water cooling.
Edited by XPC - 5/9/12 at 9:40pm
Poison Apple
(13 items)
 
The one Free-man
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3820 @4.65GHz and climbing! ASRock X79 Extreme 6 Gigabyte GTX480 1.5GB @902/1804/1848 32GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
60GB Mushkin Chronos SSD Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 EK FC 480 GTX XSPC RX240 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Swiftech MCR320 Windows 7 Enterprise 3x Samsung SyncMaster 225BW PC Power and Cooling Silencer 950W 
Case
Apple PowerMac G5 ATX conversion 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 4.3ghz 1.44v Asus P7P55D PRO Gigabyte GTX480 1.5GB 16gb G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Chronos 60GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HP Lightscribe DVD-RW Xigmatek Dark Knight 
OSMonitorPowerCase
WINDOWS 7 ENTERPRISE ASUS VH222H 21.5", 2X SAMSUNG SyncMaster 225bw 22" Rosewill Performance series 600W Lian Li PC-7B 
Mouse
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 
  hide details  
Reply
Poison Apple
(13 items)
 
The one Free-man
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3820 @4.65GHz and climbing! ASRock X79 Extreme 6 Gigabyte GTX480 1.5GB @902/1804/1848 32GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
60GB Mushkin Chronos SSD Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 EK FC 480 GTX XSPC RX240 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Swiftech MCR320 Windows 7 Enterprise 3x Samsung SyncMaster 225BW PC Power and Cooling Silencer 950W 
Case
Apple PowerMac G5 ATX conversion 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 4.3ghz 1.44v Asus P7P55D PRO Gigabyte GTX480 1.5GB 16gb G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Chronos 60GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HP Lightscribe DVD-RW Xigmatek Dark Knight 
OSMonitorPowerCase
WINDOWS 7 ENTERPRISE ASUS VH222H 21.5", 2X SAMSUNG SyncMaster 225bw 22" Rosewill Performance series 600W Lian Li PC-7B 
Mouse
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPC View Post

False! The 680 runs at a higher temperature, but the 7970 produces significantly more heat. Temperature =/= Heat. Temperature is intensity, heat is quantity. Water cooling is best at removing high quantities of heat, which has little to do with the core temperature of a card on stock cooling.
The 680 really doesn't need to be watercooled, reference designs have limited voltage control, and that's where the bottleneck is right now. No amount of cooling capacity is going to help. The 7970 however, has no voltage issues, and could see some real benefits from water cooling. If the 680 Classified, and other non reference boards like it introduce full manual voltage, then those 680s will be great candidates for water cooling. But as it stands right now, the 7970 is the obvious choice if you are water cooling.

Even if I gain no physical performance I'm still going to water cool, silent computing or go home tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Which card to put under water?