Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VR-Zone] HP's Steve Wolff dismisses claims of imitation - says Apple doesn't own silver
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[VR-Zone] HP's Steve Wolff dismisses claims of imitation - says Apple doesn't own silver - Page 18

post #171 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post

Well then my black Inspire 4G, not to mention all the new black Android phones would be a problem. No, the "mighty" apple does not own colors.

A quote from a news article posted on OCN last week.

Apple claims intellectual property on:
"the front surface of the product dominated by a screen surface with black borders;"

So effectively, for modern smartphones, they own the color black.
Yuki
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz Asus P8P67-M Pro Gigabyte R9 290 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital Blue Hitachi Green Thermalright Venomous X Black 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Novatouch Seasonic X-850 Gold Silverstone ft03 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries 5C Aune T1 
  hide details  
Reply
Yuki
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz Asus P8P67-M Pro Gigabyte R9 290 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital Blue Hitachi Green Thermalright Venomous X Black 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Novatouch Seasonic X-850 Gold Silverstone ft03 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries 5C Aune T1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #172 of 181
700

And I didnt even begin to scratch the surface.

Apple Does Not Own Black
Forge
(17 items)
 
Forge-LT
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7-5960X (4.625Ghz) ASUS X99-DELUXE/U3.1 EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (3000Mhz 8x8GB) Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB EK Predator 240 Windows 10 Enterprise x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Acer XR341CK Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Corsair AX1200 Corsair Graphite 780T 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB Sennheiser HD700 Sound Blaster AE-5 Audio Technica AT4040 
Audio
30ART Mic Tube Amp 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4720HQ UX501JW-UB71T GTX 960m 16GB 1600 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
512GB PCI-e SSD Windows 10 Pro 4k IPS 
  hide details  
Reply
Forge
(17 items)
 
Forge-LT
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7-5960X (4.625Ghz) ASUS X99-DELUXE/U3.1 EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (3000Mhz 8x8GB) Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB EK Predator 240 Windows 10 Enterprise x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Acer XR341CK Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Corsair AX1200 Corsair Graphite 780T 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB Sennheiser HD700 Sound Blaster AE-5 Audio Technica AT4040 
Audio
30ART Mic Tube Amp 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4720HQ UX501JW-UB71T GTX 960m 16GB 1600 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
512GB PCI-e SSD Windows 10 Pro 4k IPS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #173 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkO View Post

The topic is on DESIGN. Porsche got it's design from the VW Beetle, added it's own touch and became very popular. Apple looked at current designs for devices and added it's own touch and made them immensely popular. Therefore no one cares who invented it, make a big deal all you want, the current hysteria is not about who invented it or who the original design belonged to.

This irked me. The Beetle was designed by Porsche.

Also, please stop saying that it doesn't matter who designed something first. It does. That's the whole point of the "prior art" clause in patent law. Prior art shows that what Apple did with the MBA, as well as the silver/black color scheme, was not original.
Mr. Bubbles
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2GHz Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon HD6870 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB LG Blu-Ray burner Koolance CPU-370 & VID-AR687, Phobya 4x120mm rad Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
19" Acer X193W+BD Generic Logitech Corsair HX-750 Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62 
MouseAudio
Logitech MX Revolution Corsair SP2500 2.1 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr. Bubbles
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2GHz Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon HD6870 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB LG Blu-Ray burner Koolance CPU-370 & VID-AR687, Phobya 4x120mm rad Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
19" Acer X193W+BD Generic Logitech Corsair HX-750 Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62 
MouseAudio
Logitech MX Revolution Corsair SP2500 2.1 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #174 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkO View Post


The topic is about design, but you insist on derailing the topic with your straw man arguments.
I don't care if you owned Porsches, it is irrelevant to the TOPIC. The topic is about design and you go off on what a car "does on the road." rolleyes.gif
Allow me to reiterate one last time since it so happens to slip your mind time and time again.
The topic is on DESIGN. Porsche got it's design from the VW Beetle, added it's own touch and became very popular. Apple looked at current designs for devices and added it's own touch and made them immensely popular. Therefore no one cares who invented it, make a big deal all you want, the current hysteria is not about who invented it or who the original design belonged to. It's about who matters and as much as you people hate to admit it you non-Apple devices don't really matter, it's all about Apple right now and you non-Apple users can't seem to wrap your head around it.
You're just butthurt about a popular device you dislike because the product(s) you own aren't as popular. You're just mad and frustrated at Apple's success, plain and simple.
formula m… No one cares about your logic and reasoning. No one cares how long you take to make informed decisions. No one cares if you like to pay cash and no one cares if marketing has zero effect on you. Companies don't care about people like you, they don't make money off people like you, you are a small percentage, you are irrelevant to a company's profit margin.
I don't fancy Apple products, I see and accept things for what they are without stereotypes or bias which many of you seem to excel at.
Apple did not become a half trillion dollar company with people like you. Apple made it's billions selling a culture, a culture in products that you non-Apple products lack and are bitter about. It's the age old losers being bitter at the winner.
Instead of "expressing" your opinion on a forum why don't you go out and do something about it, make a product(s) that's more popular that Apple's. In the end you're all talk. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

 

 

I am afraid u live in a different world than me.

 

I owned an Apple IIe and nothing has changed since. Each and every product has to stand & compete on it's own merit, not because it has an Apple emblem on it. How ludicrous of you to assume that anyone other than vane people care about Apple products, they don't..!

 

 

Granted, children and youth are lobotomized by TV and they WANT and iPhone, iPad, etc.. but they also cannot afford such things. Others just buy Apple because the warm comfy feeling they get when knowing everyone else is in the same boat, safety in numbers mentality. (How many bought an iPhone for it's 4G, keyboard, or 4.3" display...?)

 

 

 

Coincidentally, 1/2 of a Trillion doesn't make your products better, or your argument right, it just illustrates how greedy Steve Jobs was and why employees were jumping off roofs @ Foxconn killing themselves, for his greed!  (Now, he has answered for it)

 

You sound like an online marketer trying to sell Apple based on an unknown-effect..    Apple has zero effect on people who knows the company, & again only kids (12 ~ 25) are influenced by the brand, not the product... the product doesn't matter for them, as long as they feel apart of the Apple crowd, those people are happy.

 

"Those people" = vanity

 

 

 

 

 

Yes, design!

 

Porsches design is not what sells the cars, it is their performance that makes them iconic. Rear engine, read wheel drive, 2 seater sportscar. The fact that partial Porsche dna is derived from the VW beetle means nothing within this discussion, because VW own Porsche and there has never been any litigation. 

 

Sheetmetal is sheetmetal and no car manufacturer is suing another for using steel to build, or cover their cars. Nobody is stealing Porsche's design, but they are using the same materials.

 

"Silver" is a method of production of continuous steel, a material. The process looks the same on nearly any product, so it is LAUGHABLE when you see a company like Apple complain, because nearly everyone of their products is based solely on LOOKS, not technology or use.

 

If people see  a shiny silvery metallic device and think it's from Apple, (but instead HP)...     too bad!

 

Perhaps Apple should've spent $500 million innovating some unknown tech to establish their devices apart from the rest of the crowd. But that would actually take money and work and have a time cost associated with it. It is much easier just to pay lawyers, than to actually invent something.

 

 

 

Lastly, don't question me, ....then ignorantly try to rebuttal personal iota that you've illicited. Makes no sense..

post #175 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki View Post

Uh, two different laptops that are the same color. Did Apple patent Silver and Black? Last I checked the Raiders have had that as their team uniforms far longer than Apple used it in their products.
I wonder, maybe the NFL should sue Apple over this..
X3
Sent from my SGH-I777

Your Raiders argument is a really bad analogy. Raiders, NFL is a sports team sports league. Has no conflict of interest with Apple. They can probably sue Apple if Apple store employees wear black and silver uniforms. HP and Apple have a direct conflict of interest, they are both makers in digital devices and in this case a laptop that closely resembles a Apple product. Oranges to oranges. Guess that's really hard for Apple haters to understand..

I was making light of the situation. I wasn't being literal when I said the NFL should sue Apple. My whole point is, in my humble opinion, it looks like the only thing copied is the colour scheme. To say Apple is the only computer manufacture that should have the right to silver & black computers is a bit ridiculous.

You have every right to disagree with me of course, and I respect that. ^______^
post #176 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy25 View Post

This irked me. The Beetle was designed by Porsche.

Actually no it wasn't, well not the one that went into production. People thought the original design (the one by Porsche) was ugly. The Beetle that went into production was designed by Hitler.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R5 1600 Asus PRIME B350 PLUS  AMD Radeon HD7950 16GB Corsair Vengence (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
1TB WD Blue 500GB WD Blue 120GB Hitachi Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG 32LD450 Dell Ducky DK9008 OCN Edition Corsair TX650v2 
Case
Fractal Design Core 3000 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R5 1600 Asus PRIME B350 PLUS  AMD Radeon HD7950 16GB Corsair Vengence (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
1TB WD Blue 500GB WD Blue 120GB Hitachi Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG 32LD450 Dell Ducky DK9008 OCN Edition Corsair TX650v2 
Case
Fractal Design Core 3000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #177 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

Actually no it wasn't, well not the one that went into production. People thought the original design (the one by Porsche) was ugly. The Beetle that went into production was designed by Hitler.

It was commissioned by Hitler in like 1930/1931. It was designed by Ferdinand Porsche (drivetrain) and several other engineers and released in 1935. The car went through several design iterations before being produced as we know it. From what I've read on the subject, Hitler did little more than commission it and call it the Volkswagen. He didn't do any actual design work on the car. Aspects of the design carried into a lot of Porsche's signature cars; the rear-mounted flat boxer engine, fastback body lines, these became Porsche trademarks.
Mr. Bubbles
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2GHz Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon HD6870 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB LG Blu-Ray burner Koolance CPU-370 & VID-AR687, Phobya 4x120mm rad Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
19" Acer X193W+BD Generic Logitech Corsair HX-750 Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62 
MouseAudio
Logitech MX Revolution Corsair SP2500 2.1 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr. Bubbles
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2GHz Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon HD6870 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB LG Blu-Ray burner Koolance CPU-370 & VID-AR687, Phobya 4x120mm rad Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
19" Acer X193W+BD Generic Logitech Corsair HX-750 Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62 
MouseAudio
Logitech MX Revolution Corsair SP2500 2.1 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #178 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post

700
And I didnt even begin to scratch the surface.
Apple Does Not Own Black

did you read my post? Just because they didn't sue everyone, doesn't mean they don't claim it.
Yuki
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz Asus P8P67-M Pro Gigabyte R9 290 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital Blue Hitachi Green Thermalright Venomous X Black 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Novatouch Seasonic X-850 Gold Silverstone ft03 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries 5C Aune T1 
  hide details  
Reply
Yuki
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz Asus P8P67-M Pro Gigabyte R9 290 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital Blue Hitachi Green Thermalright Venomous X Black 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Novatouch Seasonic X-850 Gold Silverstone ft03 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries 5C Aune T1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #179 of 181
All these shenanigans are getting annoying, the term "copy" means exact replication. These are not. They are simply a functional design. The similarities are not because of intentional copying, but more because they are necessary to make a attractive, working, trendy looking product.
New i7 950 build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @ 4.2ghz MSI Big Bang x58  Crossfire Sapphire 7970 OC  6gb HyperX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb , Agility2 90gb, 2x WD greens Raid 0 Samsung 830 series 64gb H100 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Crossover 1440p OCZ ZX850W Lian li Pc-x2000f 
  hide details  
Reply
New i7 950 build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @ 4.2ghz MSI Big Bang x58  Crossfire Sapphire 7970 OC  6gb HyperX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb , Agility2 90gb, 2x WD greens Raid 0 Samsung 830 series 64gb H100 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Crossover 1440p OCZ ZX850W Lian li Pc-x2000f 
  hide details  
Reply
post #180 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronostorm View Post

A quote from a news article posted on OCN last week.
Apple claims intellectual property on:
"the front surface of the product dominated by a screen surface with black borders;"
So effectively, for modern smartphones, they own the color black.

So they claim intellectual property on "the front surface of the product dominated by a screen surface with black borders;" HTC and others should just design a phone and call the screenside the backside and the camera side the front.
New i7 950 build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @ 4.2ghz MSI Big Bang x58  Crossfire Sapphire 7970 OC  6gb HyperX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb , Agility2 90gb, 2x WD greens Raid 0 Samsung 830 series 64gb H100 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Crossover 1440p OCZ ZX850W Lian li Pc-x2000f 
  hide details  
Reply
New i7 950 build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @ 4.2ghz MSI Big Bang x58  Crossfire Sapphire 7970 OC  6gb HyperX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb , Agility2 90gb, 2x WD greens Raid 0 Samsung 830 series 64gb H100 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Crossover 1440p OCZ ZX850W Lian li Pc-x2000f 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VR-Zone] HP's Steve Wolff dismisses claims of imitation - says Apple doesn't own silver