Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [CPU-World] AMD readies R-series embedded APUs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CPU-World] AMD readies R-series embedded APUs - Page 10

post #91 of 106
For the love of god... You are making yourself look like a terrible AMD fan here. Please just read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

You're so shocked you have to bring in a desktop CPU into an embedded APU discussion to prove your point?

The discussions started here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudfire777 View Post

All in all, Trinity is only good for people looking for a cheap desktop, while people who game with a dedicated GPU will go much better off with a CPU from Intel.

Wherein I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

£30 Intel Celeron G530 performs better than a Core2Duo E8400 and has HD2000 graphics. If you want a cheap desktop Intel is also a viable option wink.gif

I didn't bring desktops into the discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

I'll admit those cheap CPU's are superb but who cares, they're not even in the same price category or even in the same league?

So, the £31 Celeron G530 (DESKTOP CPU) isn't in the same league or price category as the £54 AMD A6-3500 (DESKTOP CPU)? Both have IGP and they're prices quite close to one and other. I'd say they ARE in the same league and price category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

If there is a discussion at all about laptops it's entirely the wrong place, the title of the thread should have made that clear.

OCN rules state that the thread title should be cut and paste from the source. LAst time I checked a Core i7-2710QE (which is being compared in the source) was a mobile, laptop part . The discussion is about laptops and mobile chips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

But you're right, I'll go recommend where I work we upgrade hundreds of PC's to i7's based on passmark, despite everyone only typing a document and an email or two, and making basic PPT's,
especially as you said there's no difference between a 31 and 19 quid CPU doh.gif
Oh do you like to hyperbole much? Sorry, but where did I suggest upgrades to i7's in an office environment? You're getting ridiculous.

I didn't say there was no difference between a £19 and £31 CPU. I wouldn't put that 554 score Athlon x2 160u in ANY system given how horrible it performs. If my choice was a £30 CPU that scores higher than a £54 CPU then it's a no brainer. ANYONE would go for the cheaper CPU that performs better unless you had a brand bias - in which case more fool you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

This circle we're going round is giving me a headache, have fun proving a non-point.

That's the headache you get when you're utterly wrong both about a discussion and accusing someone of being a fanboy thumb.gif
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #92 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

It kind of is. Read how I even got onto the subject. It's not about needing an extremely fast CPU its the fact this thing is £20 cheaper than the cheapest desktop A series. I've already said that if you were going to crossfire then the APU'S viable but not exactly the best solution for future proofing because the CPU is weak.
It comes back to the fact that it's £20 cheaper but a great margin better.
People using their computer for office and Web browsing don't need the APU power, so don't need to spend £20 more for a weaker cpu and better GPU. Intel has the budget upper hand there in that situation.
So are you saying it makes sense to spend £20 more on a CPU that is worse? It's not about needing the fastest possible CPU for office work its the price. £30 and it's much better than the APU chips. Office workers and none gamers don't need the GPU in the APU'S.
For gaming? This ^

OpenCL acceleration is growing, will be mainstream soon, then llano/trinity will be better for "office workers"
post #93 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_gunjee View Post

It shouldn't surprise me how far people will go off topic just to fly their little Intel flag. Somehow, it still does.
Doesn't anyone here still have good, generalized, unbiased opinions about anything?
A lot of the comments in this thread are about as irrelevant to the topic as the 0-60 speed of a new Camaro would be to the payload of a work truck in the same model year. rolleyes.gif

doh.gif

Please just no. That's not the point here at all.

Good unbias options? Yeah I'm giving them out right now. I have ZERO bias towards Intel. All I'm doing here is discussing a point about budget desktop CPU's and because I'm not following this common theme of "AMD have the budget arena under their boot" line of thinking I'm a fanboy?

I mean come on. Read the thread and check my comments. If I were in the market for a laptop it'd be an AMD APU laptop. Check this APU http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+A6-3410MX+APU would be godlike for a laptop and personally that's what I'd be buying right now. If any of my friends wanted a £500 gaming rig inc monitor the lot I'd be steering them towards an APU. I'm a massive fan of this tech and I love how well it performs (I recently set one up in my local computer shop as a bit of part time work, as a display model) I'm not bias nor a bloody fanboy. The notion of such is just frustrating.

edit:

BTW the system I put together in the computer shop down the road was an A8-3850 with an MSI HD6670 1GB GDDR3 in Crossfire, 8GB Corsair 1600MHz Vengeance RAM, 600W Corsair PSU and a Coolermaster Elite 343 case and would've cost £400 for people to buy biggrin.gif It ran FarCry 2, BF3 and Just Cause 2 extremely well!
Edited by Rubers - 5/12/12 at 8:17am
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #94 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist07 View Post

OpenCL acceleration is growing, will be mainstream soon, then llano/trinity will be better for "office workers"

Perhaps for graphics design suites and the like but I don't see how it's going to majorly benefit office tasks. Like Liranan helped to say, there isn't much difference in using MS Office and such with an E8400 over a G530 so OpenCL acceleration isn't going to be a boost to MS Office (which would have to support it as well... though it makes little sense to do that).

This time next year I imagine new graphics design companies and artists or photographers using Photoshop and the Creative Suite would benefit immensely from Trinity and Llano due to the OpenCL support in that software package. Last year I built someone an i5-2300 system with a GTX460 (he wanted games too) for under £500. It'd be possible to get around the same performance for much less with Llano A series these days! If I was tasked with that job right now that's the system I'd build.
Edited by Rubers - 5/12/12 at 8:08am
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #95 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_gunjee View Post

On the contrary, you're making yourself look like a huge Intel fan here. You're continuously bringing irrelevant products into the discussion to repeatedly tell us that Intel CPU cores are faster. We're not rookies, we know all this.

Meanwhile, it's being attempted to tell you that you are seriously off topic. Come on... bringing a Core 2 Duo into the conversation.. what is that doing besides showing that you, in fact, are trying to 'desperately prove' something?

Thing is, I'm not off topic. Threads naturally progress and the topic of discussion shifts. Off topic and derailing would be hounding everything said that isn't about my personal topic, or something like that. In actual fact I replied to something on the first page and have continued to reply to replies to that. I haven't derailed the topic, thread nor discussion.

As for bringing a Core2 into the discussion? What the hell? IT was a point of comparison. The E8400 is a well know CPU and it was to highlight the performance of the Celeron I was bringing to the discussion.

The point is and still is that it's a £30 CPU that performs as well as a well know Core2 chip at lower clocks and at a significantly lower price. I could have used ANY CPU for comparison but ironically I didn't want to use an AMD one for fear of being accused of an Intel fanboy. Eventually I had to use AMD ones because that's where the discussion went. Turns out no matter what you do if you argue against one or the other you're a bloody fanboy, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_gunjee View Post

You've wasted a heck of a lot of keystrokes here. I can summarize your point in one sentence. "Intel CPU's are faster and AMD is useless."
Hey, I just saved you a lot more time man. You should thank me! thumb.gif

Yeah but if I had wanted to say that I would have said it, wouldn't I? I said "Intel is a viable option" in regards to the "budget desktop market". That's ALL I said and I didn't expect this amount of butthurt over it and I'm not giving up on a topic of discussion because a group of people want to hammer me into compliance or getting me to quit because I don't fall in line with their opinions. This is a forum for discussion. I could easily throw back all the stupid fanboy remarks back at people and this would turn into a lame flame war. Thusfar it only hasn't come to that because I'm more adult and don't want to destroy the topic and get it locked. All Iv'e ever said is that Intel is still a viable option for budget desktop PC's NOT for gaming. Otherwise for games it's a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_gunjee View Post

You are completely missing the point. This thread is not about budget desktop CPUs! You've completely derailed it!

No, I haven't! rolleyes.gif I wasn't the first person to mention desktop CPU's. Thread discussion progresses! Talk to Cloudfire777 on the first page and tell HIM it's not about Desktop CPU's! Otherwise talk about things, discuss and debate instead of insulting and flaming!


EDIT:

It was also stuff like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

Numbers-wise, Intel kills despite the APUs having the more advanced gpu. But what really matters (IMHO) isn't which one scores the highest, but rather which one scores the best in price:performance. Outside of the enthusiast segment, CPUs are so overpowered for the day-to-day tasks of computer users that people are tending to go with the lower-numbers-performing option because the price is right.

That made me want to join the discussion about desktop stuff and enter that G530 into the discussion because the price certainly is right and the numbers are good too.
Edited by Rubers - 5/12/12 at 8:48am
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #96 of 106
I don't know why you're even bothering Rubers.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #97 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

I don't know why you're even bothering Rubers.

frown.gif It was a fairly decent discussion until the last page or so. I just feel like I'm getting trolled and baited now, though. Time to report and move on!
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #98 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post


Thing is, I'm not off topic. Threads naturally progress and the topic of discussion shifts. Off topic and derailing would be hounding everything said that isn't about my personal topic, or something like that. In actual fact I replied to something on the first page and have continued to reply to replies to that. I haven't derailed the topic, thread nor discussion.
As for bringing a Core2 into the discussion? What the hell? IT was a point of comparison. The E8400 is a well know CPU and it was to highlight the performance of the Celeron I was bringing to the discussion.
The point is and still is that it's a £30 CPU that performs as well as a well know Core2 chip at lower clocks and at a significantly lower price. I could have used ANY CPU for comparison but ironically I didn't want to use an AMD one for fear of being accused of an Intel fanboy. Eventually I had to use AMD ones because that's where the discussion went. Turns out no matter what you do if you argue against one or the other you're a bloody fanboy, eh?
Yeah but if I had wanted to say that I would have said it, wouldn't I? I said "Intel is a viable option" in regards to the "budget desktop market". That's ALL I said and I didn't expect this amount of butthurt over it and I'm not giving up on a topic of discussion because a group of people want to hammer me into compliance or getting me to quit because I don't fall in line with their opinions. This is a forum for discussion. I could easily throw back all the stupid fanboy remarks back at people and this would turn into a lame flame war. Thusfar it only hasn't come to that because I'm more adult and don't want to destroy the topic and get it locked. All Iv'e ever said is that Intel is still a viable option for budget desktop PC's NOT for gaming. Otherwise for games it's a different story.
No, I haven't! rolleyes.gif I wasn't the first person to mention desktop CPU's. Thread discussion progresses! Talk to Cloudfire777 on the first page and tell HIM it's not about Desktop CPU's! Otherwise talk about things, discuss and debate instead of insulting and flaming!
EDIT:
It was also stuff like this:
That made me want to join the discussion about desktop stuff and enter that G530 into the discussion because the price certainly is right and the numbers are good too.

 

 

Do you know what "embedded" means...?

post #99 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula m View Post


Do you know what "embedded" means...?

hmmsmiley02.gif

Laptop and Mobile wink.gif

But again, someone mentioned desktops on the first page and that's what I'm talking about as well as many other people until this was derailed into a fanboy accusation thread thumb.gif
Edited by Rubers - 5/12/12 at 9:24am
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #100 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

hmmsmiley02.gif
Laptop and Mobile wink.gif
But again, someone mentioned desktops on the first page and that's what I'm talking about as well as many other people thumb.gif

I see your point, but multiple wrongs don't make a right. This thread shouldn't have went that direction in the first place because it always results in the same old flaming arguments about Intel vs AMD cpu core IPC. Which, in turn, results in thread derailing. Do you understand what I'm saying here?

You have definitely provided quality, well-informed content, and that's more than can be said for many people, but that doesn't change its relevance to AMD's R-series APUs.
Lounge Machine
(17 items)
 
Doc Wallace
(14 items)
 
Cap'n Crunch
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-2500K @ 4.70 GHz Asus P8P67 Pro XFX Double D R9 280 [1200/1600] 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 [9-11-10-28] 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Chronos 120GB SATA3 Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB Asus DRW-24B1ST XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Asus VH236H Rosewill RK-7300 Rosewill RX750-S-B 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Lancool PC-K62 Logitech Mx518 Realtek HD 192KHz Visiontek Killer 2100 NIC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.80 GHz ASRock 770iCafe AM3+ EVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Nova 30GB WD Caviar Blue 640GB Lite-On DVDRW Corsair H50 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Pro x64 Asus VH236H Corsair CX430 Diablotek EVO RPA-6170 
Mouse
Logitech LX3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon 3060 @ 3.6GHz MSI P35 Platinum EVGA Geforce GTS 250 512MB 2GB OCZ Fatal1ty + 2GB ADATA Premier DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung HD161HJ DVDRW Xigmatek Dark Knight Windows 7 Home Premium x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Compaq S1922A Cheifmax 650W Raidmax Smilodon EB Logitech LX3 
  hide details  
Reply
Lounge Machine
(17 items)
 
Doc Wallace
(14 items)
 
Cap'n Crunch
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-2500K @ 4.70 GHz Asus P8P67 Pro XFX Double D R9 280 [1200/1600] 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 [9-11-10-28] 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Chronos 120GB SATA3 Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB Asus DRW-24B1ST XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Asus VH236H Rosewill RK-7300 Rosewill RX750-S-B 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Lancool PC-K62 Logitech Mx518 Realtek HD 192KHz Visiontek Killer 2100 NIC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.80 GHz ASRock 770iCafe AM3+ EVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Nova 30GB WD Caviar Blue 640GB Lite-On DVDRW Corsair H50 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Pro x64 Asus VH236H Corsair CX430 Diablotek EVO RPA-6170 
Mouse
Logitech LX3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon 3060 @ 3.6GHz MSI P35 Platinum EVGA Geforce GTS 250 512MB 2GB OCZ Fatal1ty + 2GB ADATA Premier DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung HD161HJ DVDRW Xigmatek Dark Knight Windows 7 Home Premium x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Compaq S1922A Cheifmax 650W Raidmax Smilodon EB Logitech LX3 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [CPU-World] AMD readies R-series embedded APUs