Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Asrock Z77 Extreme4 - weird issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asrock Z77 Extreme4 - weird issues

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
so I got my new 3570k system up and running last night, ehrr, kind of. A couple issues with the Z77 extreme 4.

First, A2 error

I kept getting an A2 error and no post. pulled my video card and tried with onboard DVI port. Still same friggin error. Pulled ram, unplug hdds, went through all the motions wasting well over an hour. I finally figured I would try a standard VGA cable instead of DVI not expecting anything different. Well, I was shocked that the damn thing finally posted. got into bios, shut back down and then tried using DVI but no luck. Got sick of that so figured I would install windows (Vista 64) on the VGA for now and update drivers to hopefully solve this issue.

Second, Lan issue

once I got Windows running I started setting things up and first driver I tried to install was the Lan. Installed fine but ran into a weird networking issue going on. It is now not detecting internet connection and saying network found then saying no network detected. Uninstalled then reinstalled driver that I downloaded from the website. Got google up on my browser but loading was extremely slow then it just went out again. My laptop is running fine on the network btw so I know it isn't an ISP problem.

Anyway, It was after midnight and I wake up at 6am so that was it. Never even got back to try to work on the first A2 video issue. I know some people have run into issues like this on Newegg reviews but haven't seen much mentioned here. Anyone run up against similiar issues and have any input?? Appreciate any help on this. I will post later tonight when I get home and can work on this some more.
Main Setup
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3570k@4.5 Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 970 SSC 8 Gig - G.Skill 1600 ares 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Win 7 Samsung 120Hz Gigabyte Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec Neo Blue 650 Watt Cooler Master 690II Advanced 1600 dpi Bose Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Setup
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3570k@4.5 Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 970 SSC 8 Gig - G.Skill 1600 ares 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Win 7 Samsung 120Hz Gigabyte Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec Neo Blue 650 Watt Cooler Master 690II Advanced 1600 dpi Bose Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
Thread Starter 
Video issue seems fixed but I have installed and re installed the Lan driver a number of times and basically tried everything. Looks like this board is going back. What a disappointment.... Think I am going back to Asus after this fiasco.
Main Setup
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3570k@4.5 Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 970 SSC 8 Gig - G.Skill 1600 ares 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Win 7 Samsung 120Hz Gigabyte Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec Neo Blue 650 Watt Cooler Master 690II Advanced 1600 dpi Bose Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Setup
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3570k@4.5 Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 970 SSC 8 Gig - G.Skill 1600 ares 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Win 7 Samsung 120Hz Gigabyte Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec Neo Blue 650 Watt Cooler Master 690II Advanced 1600 dpi Bose Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
so even though I am talking with myself in this thread, I wanted to report back. In the eleventh hour I had a break through. Friggin windows vista.... I borrowed a copy of windows 7 to install and then installed the drivers. Holly **** it works. I have an internet connection that isn't cutting out after 30 seconds. So apparently the drivers for this broadcom port don't play nice with vista, well atleast my copy which is a ligit 64 bit copy. Anyway, got everything updated and video card is up and running now as well. I should have ditched vista a long time ago. Still no excuse for crappy drivers not working but I am just glad my board isn't defective.

This motherboard was the biggest basket case board I have ever worked with, just glad that in the end I was able to work all these strange quirks out and not have to RMA the damn thing. Judging for newegg reviews, alot of people do not have the patience and determination that I had in dealing with this board.

If you buy this board, just be ready to to put some work in if some issues come your way. Not that it is up and running, the system is flying. Can't wait to get an overclock on this mother.
Main Setup
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3570k@4.5 Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 970 SSC 8 Gig - G.Skill 1600 ares 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Win 7 Samsung 120Hz Gigabyte Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec Neo Blue 650 Watt Cooler Master 690II Advanced 1600 dpi Bose Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Setup
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3570k@4.5 Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 970 SSC 8 Gig - G.Skill 1600 ares 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Win 7 Samsung 120Hz Gigabyte Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec Neo Blue 650 Watt Cooler Master 690II Advanced 1600 dpi Bose Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Intel USb 3.0 doesn't work in vista either it defaults to 2.0.
X99 Main Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme Edition @ 4.5GHz Always Changing VisonTek R9 290 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 @ 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 128GB M.2 PCI-E 4x SSD Apotop 256GB SSD 1.82TB NAS Noctua NH-D15 with both fans 
OSPower
Win7 Pro Enermax 1000W 
  hide details  
Reply
X99 Main Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme Edition @ 4.5GHz Always Changing VisonTek R9 290 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 @ 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 128GB M.2 PCI-E 4x SSD Apotop 256GB SSD 1.82TB NAS Noctua NH-D15 with both fans 
OSPower
Win7 Pro Enermax 1000W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
I have the same proc and board as you. My issues are not the same but I figured I'd add them to this thread. My issues are that the system's windows display manager always crashes after BF3 and when I go to shut down it doesn't shut down. I have to hold the power button and then it physically shut's off. I updated to the lastest bios and never tried teh shipping BIOS with may have been a mistake. But I'm going to wait for a new BIOS version and new GTX670 driver and then rebuild and see if I still get issues.

Here's my setup:

Intel i5 3570k / Corsair H100 4 Fans
Asrock z77 Extreme4 / Fractal Design Arc Midi
Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
2 x GTX670 in Sli / 3 x Asus VM224U in 3x1 surround
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB / Hitachi A7K1000 1TB
SB X-Fi Ti HD / Denon AH-D1100 cans
Rosewill RBR1000-M 1Kw Modular PS
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofacesig View Post

I have the same proc and board as you. My issues are not the same but I figured I'd add them to this thread. My issues are that the system's windows display manager always crashes after BF3 and when I go to shut down it doesn't shut down. I have to hold the power button and then it physically shut's off. I updated to the lastest bios and never tried teh shipping BIOS with may have been a mistake. But I'm going to wait for a new BIOS version and new GTX670 driver and then rebuild and see if I still get issues.
Here's my setup:
Intel i5 3570k / Corsair H100 4 Fans
Asrock z77 Extreme4 / Fractal Design Arc Midi
Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
2 x GTX670 in Sli / 3 x Asus VM224U in 3x1 surround
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB / Hitachi A7K1000 1TB
SB X-Fi Ti HD / Denon AH-D1100 cans
Rosewill RBR1000-M 1Kw Modular PS

Which version of windows are you running? You may want to try to reinstall or try a different version. I installed a clean copy of Vista and was having my issues. Once I wiped the drive again and installed Windows 7, the issues went away. Not sure if you will have the same results but it is worth a try.
Main Setup
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3570k@4.5 Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 970 SSC 8 Gig - G.Skill 1600 ares 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Win 7 Samsung 120Hz Gigabyte Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec Neo Blue 650 Watt Cooler Master 690II Advanced 1600 dpi Bose Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Setup
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3570k@4.5 Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 970 SSC 8 Gig - G.Skill 1600 ares 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Win 7 Samsung 120Hz Gigabyte Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec Neo Blue 650 Watt Cooler Master 690II Advanced 1600 dpi Bose Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
I'm Running 7 Ultimate x64. I downloaded the Intel chipset drivers from Asrock. I think I'm going to see if newer ones are available straight from Intel and re-install. I'm also hoping Nvidia releases newer drivers for the GTX680s because this initial release seems not 100% yet.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofacesig View Post

I'm Running 7 Ultimate x64. I downloaded the Intel chipset drivers from Asrock. I think I'm going to see if newer ones are available straight from Intel and re-install. I'm also hoping Nvidia releases newer drivers for the GTX680s because this initial release seems not 100% yet.

Thats what I am running right now. I think you are probably right about the nvidia driver issue or possibly intel. Let us know if the intel drivers fix it.
Main Setup
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3570k@4.5 Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 970 SSC 8 Gig - G.Skill 1600 ares 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Win 7 Samsung 120Hz Gigabyte Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec Neo Blue 650 Watt Cooler Master 690II Advanced 1600 dpi Bose Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Setup
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3570k@4.5 Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 970 SSC 8 Gig - G.Skill 1600 ares 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Win 7 Samsung 120Hz Gigabyte Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec Neo Blue 650 Watt Cooler Master 690II Advanced 1600 dpi Bose Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
I am having similar issues. I am getting A2 & A6 errors with no post.

Here is my journey thus far: I had everything working last night, and I tried to install Windows7 64bit, but I realized too late that my copy of Windows7 is for upgrading only. I looked all over my house for my Windows XP install disks with no luck. I got to the product key page, and punched in the key, and it didn't work. So I read up on some work arounds for folks like me who lost or misplaced the original OS disks, and I figured I would try again. I rebooted with the Windows7 disk in there thinking I could get back to the screen to select a clean install, and I first got an A6 error with no post. Then I cleared the cmos and tried again, and I got an A2 error. Now I am stuck on the A2 error with no posting, and I do not see anything on my monitor. I am not even using my video card yet since my monitor has no HDMI. I am using the standard on board graphics.

My plan is to wipe my SSD drive and flash it with the latest firmware before trying again.

Any other ideas would be welcome. I will report back once I try to get my ssd wiped and flashed to see if that works. I will also be looking into geting an adapter so I can use my current monitor. Or I may need to get a new monitor that uses HDMI

Thanks,
Todd
post #10 of 11
Quote:
I am having similar issues. I am getting A2 & A6 errors with no post.

Here is my journey thus far: I had everything working last night, and I tried to install Windows7 64bit, but I realized too late that my copy of Windows7 is for upgrading only. I looked all over my house for my Windows XP install disks with no luck. I got to the product key page, and punched in the key, and it didn't work. So I read up on some work arounds for folks like me who lost or misplaced the original OS disks, and I figured I would try again. I rebooted with the Windows7 disk in there thinking I could get back to the screen to select a clean install, and I first got an A6 error with no post. Then I cleared the cmos and tried again, and I got an A2 error. Now I am stuck on the A2 error with no posting, and I do not see anything on my monitor. I am not even using my video card yet since my monitor has no HDMI. I am using the standard on board graphics.

My plan is to wipe my SSD drive and flash it with the latest firmware before trying again.

Any other ideas would be welcome. I will report back once I try to get my ssd wiped and flashed to see if that works. I will also be looking into geting an adapter so I can use my current monitor. Or I may need to get a new monitor that uses HDMI

Thanks,
Todd

I have had almost the same problem. I was using my pc with no problems when it suddenly froze. Now I get no POST and am getting either A2 or A6. Interesting thing is that I'm using a regular VGA cable to attach to my monitor, and it was working for several hours, but now it doesn't. Were you able to get it to work? If so, what did you do?

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Asrock Z77 Extreme4 - weird issues