Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Dell UltraSharp U2412M
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dell UltraSharp U2412M - Page 10

post #91 of 239
yea but to get benefits from 120hz you also need to have more than 120fps in the game biggrin.gif
post #92 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarist View Post

yea but to get benefits from 120hz you also need to have more than 120fps in the game biggrin.gif

doh.gif god, it gets annoying to see people spread the wrong information. I usually don't reply back..but given the amount of IPS fanbois on the forums lately...I'm going to take the time to call you out on this one...sorry for the urge.

Wrong. In fact that doesn't even make sense..you get NO benefit after 120fps on 120hz. You get most benefit between 60 fps - 120 fps...but in reality you always get a benefit..even when you are getting less than 60 fps...just not by the same margin.

I have both IPS and 120hz so I know what I am taking about (disagree with me if you like, I won't bite)...overall a high quality 120hz is always better for gaming ...especially if the game is mid to fast pace. IPS is better for work/web/photos that's it. I also love 16:10 ratio (IPS) over 16:9 (120hz)...that's why I bought both. 16:10 was a major selling point for me...it just feels/looks better than 16:9. But believe me...in gaming...you want 120hz even if you can only push 70fps.

Samsung 700D/750D is my favorite 120hz monitor - amazing colors/clearity (glossy ftw)..i would even say it's comparable to IPS to the untrained eye (IPS has much better viewing angles though). However, IPS monitors feel like they are made with better quality overall..less QA issues..but the benefits of 120hz is undeniable in gaming.

Some people say they don't notice a difference between IPS and 120hz in gaming...if so, ok fine. But I truly believe most people would see a significant difference - if they gamed with each side by side.

IPS (HP zr24w, 1200p) & 120hz (Samsung 23A750D, 1080p) in Dual Monitors Setup: http://www.overclock.net/t/1222585/ips-hp-zr24w-1200p-120hz-samsung-23a750d-1080p-in-dual-monitors-setup-pictures

Gaming: 120hz TN > IPS > 60hz TN
Work/Web/Photo: IPS > 120hz TN > 60hz TN

My favorite IPS is Dell U2412M..or one of the Korean monitors as long as there are no QA issues, and you can support the extra pixels with enough graphical power (highend SLI/Crossfire).

My favorite 120hz is Samsung 700D/750D (glossy) and BenQ 2420 (matted).
Edited by malikq86 - 5/30/12 at 3:25pm
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #93 of 239
Would you say that 120hz is only important in competitive, fast paced games like FPSes, or do you think it has more value than a higher resolution (like 1440p) in any game type, even things like League of Legends, Diablo, and Minecraft?
post #94 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exolaris View Post

Would you say that 120hz is only important in competitive, fast paced games like FPSes, or do you think it has more value than a higher resolution (like 1440p) in any game type, even things like League of Legends, Diablo, and Minecraft?

Oh yeah, definitely has it's advantages in fast paced FPS's.

 

My opinion: A fast paced RTS may benefit from a 120Hz display but mainly people buy them for competitive FPS, however, I'm sure a RTS is really nice on a 120Hz panel, just never really heard of that. :P

 

LoL - Maybe.

Diablo - No.

Minecraft - No.

 
Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS Panel
Dell UltraSharp U2412M
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Apple A7 Cyclone x64 Chip @ 1.3Ghz Apple PowerVR G6430 1GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
16GB Internal Storage Passive iOS 7.0.3 4.0" 1136x640 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
On-Screen 1560mAH Battery Apple iPhone 5S Space Grey Touch ID Finger Print Scanner 
AudioOtherOther
3.5mm Jack Nano SIM Lightning Connector 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS Panel
Dell UltraSharp U2412M
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Apple A7 Cyclone x64 Chip @ 1.3Ghz Apple PowerVR G6430 1GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
16GB Internal Storage Passive iOS 7.0.3 4.0" 1136x640 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
On-Screen 1560mAH Battery Apple iPhone 5S Space Grey Touch ID Finger Print Scanner 
AudioOtherOther
3.5mm Jack Nano SIM Lightning Connector 
  hide details  
Reply
post #95 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exolaris View Post

Would you say that 120hz is only important in competitive, fast paced games like FPSes, or do you think it has more value than a higher resolution (like 1440p) in any game type, even things like League of Legends, Diablo, and Minecraft?

Good Question: IPS 1440p vs. 120hz 1080p for Gaming

Hmmm..honestly, I cannot anwser that. I have never bought anything over 1200p. The reason is...I only upgrade my PC / Graphic card once every 4 years...maybe 3 years if I am feeling trigger happy. So for me get the most out of my hardware...I don't like to tax my single graphic card too much. I personally hate SLI/Crossfire...so for 1 high-end graphic card..anything over 1200p is too much imho. You will get a significant decrease in frames if you have too many pixels..yes you can see more...but game play will suffer a lot as well.

My advice:

If you are planning on buying or using a single graphic card that you don't plan to replace every year...than stick with a good 120hz 1080p for gaming (23" - 27"). However, if you are more into web/work/photos and like to do gaming on the side..get a good 24" 1200p (Dell U2412M).

If you upgrade often or have a high-end SLI/Crossfire setup...you're call...120hz 1080p or Korean 1440p IPS. 120hz would be better for FPS or racer games.. and anything with moderate to fast moving objects/effects. However, Korean IPS 1440p would allow you to see more of the screen. I *think* (not 100% sure) for games like League of Legends and Minecraft (never played)...I would slightly lean toward more pixels...ie: Korean IPS 1400p. However, D3 might be better with 120hz honestly..there are a lot of fast movements/effects in that game (but than again you can see more of the game with 1440p). So I would value them different depending on the game you are playing... sorry, not 100% sure.

But like I said, I can't really speak to this (just giving my current feelings)...I have no experience with anything over 1200p nor the Korean IPS monitors.
Edited by malikq86 - 5/30/12 at 3:33pm
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #96 of 239
You actually mean U2412M right?

Anyway yea i do belive that 120hz feels snappier and faster as i already experienced that on LCD vs CRT

I'm kinda looking for a good monitor i'm kinda set on the U2412M but the samsung also looks nice. Oh yea whats the actul difference between the 700D and the 750D?

Thanks!!!
post #97 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarist View Post

You actually mean U2412M right?
Anyway yea i do belive that 120hz feels snappier and faster as i already experienced that on LCD vs CRT
I'm kinda looking for a good monitor i'm kinda set on the U2412M but the samsung also looks nice. Oh yea whats the actul difference between the 700D and the 750D?
Thanks!!!

Yup, I meant U2412M (fixed in post).

700D = uses dual-dvi cables to get 120hz...some believe this works better than using displayport cables
750D = uses displayport cables to get 120hz...some believe they have issues with the monitor because of this.

700D is a "safer pick" though I think the 750D base looks a little cooler..lol. But picking between the two really depends on your graphic card..and which ports it has available.
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #98 of 239
Just noticed its 23 inch arghhh i want 24inch monitor!!! biggrin.gif
post #99 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarist View Post

Just noticed its 23 inch arghhh i want 24inch monitor!!! biggrin.gif

lol yeah. The only decent 24" 120hz is BenQ 2420...but it has a matted screen. Or you can try to find a 27" 120hz Samsung 750D/950D..just have to be careful about QA issues with these TN panels.
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #100 of 239
So what do you think about U2412M it looks like a great monitor smile.gif but kinda weird that digitalversus didnt give it a good rating.

So now 60hz or 120hz monitor lol.

So whats actually best for the money?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Dell UltraSharp U2412M