Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Cowcotland] Silverstone 450W Fully Modular SFX 80+ Gold rated PSU pictured
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Cowcotland] Silverstone 450W Fully Modular SFX 80+ Gold rated PSU pictured - Page 5

post #41 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post

^
As stated, all your point is negated by knowing the OEM'er of the PSU.

Not really seeing as any half decent OEM makes silver/gold/platinum rated PSU's these days. So really, we are arguing the same thing just from two different perspectives tongue.gif

I totally agree that the efficiency rating should never be used thinking you will save money from a more efficient PSU. However, the decent PSU's are the ones that are efficient. Just look at all the decent manufacturers/OEM's, most of their PSU's are a minimum Bronze rated but over the past 12-18 months I would say silver has become the standard. With gold rated being a little bit more upmarket and obviously the platinum rated PSU's taking the cake as the top of the line PSU's.

But 80+ certification is relevant because it generally allows you to determine the good/reliable from the bad. You don't see the decent OEM's releasing 80 PLUS or 80+ bronze anymore. All the new units coming out from the likes of Seasonic, Enhance, FSP, Channel Well and Flextronics are silver minimum with gold rated quickly becoming the new standard.
post #42 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance47 View Post

But 80+ certification is relevant because it generally allows you to determine the good/reliable from the bad.

Neg. And eh, Seasonic make the lower wattage Antec HCG and Neo Eco series, which are bronze rated. 80+ Plus rating is only used to measure efficiency. Nothing else.
The 'This' System
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3 2120 Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H HIS HD 7870 IceQ 12GB DDR3 1600 CL9 (3 x 4 GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 530 240 GB SSD Seagate Green ST2000DM001 Samsung F3 1 TB Seagate Green ST2000DL003 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG GH20NS15 Windows 8.1 Pro Dell U2311H (A01) calibrated (R:99 G:95 B:98) Razer Arctosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Neo Eco 620c 620W Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 Logitech G400S Razer Goliathus Speed Edition (Medium) 
AudioAudioAudioOther
NwAvGuy O2 DAC NwAVGuy O2 headphone amp beyerdynamic T70 250 ohm headphones 100 M/bit cable internet connection 
  hide details  
Reply
The 'This' System
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3 2120 Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H HIS HD 7870 IceQ 12GB DDR3 1600 CL9 (3 x 4 GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 530 240 GB SSD Seagate Green ST2000DM001 Samsung F3 1 TB Seagate Green ST2000DL003 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG GH20NS15 Windows 8.1 Pro Dell U2311H (A01) calibrated (R:99 G:95 B:98) Razer Arctosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Neo Eco 620c 620W Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 Logitech G400S Razer Goliathus Speed Edition (Medium) 
AudioAudioAudioOther
NwAvGuy O2 DAC NwAVGuy O2 headphone amp beyerdynamic T70 250 ohm headphones 100 M/bit cable internet connection 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance47 View Post

But 80+ certification is relevant because it generally allows you to determine the good/reliable from the bad.

Here you go. This is exactly why the 80+ branding scheme has been so effective. People are confusing it with quality and/or reliability smile.gif
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 198
This is epic...As soon as this touches Newegg as a standalone...I'm trading my X650 for this thing.drool.gif

Makes an epic ITX computer PSU.
 
Asus 1025C-MU17
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K - 4.4GHz 1.2V Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 460 SSC+ Samsung 30nm 2x4GB - 2000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Hitachi Deskstar 320GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hitachi Travelstar 320GB Panasonic UJ85C 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair H60 2x Cougar V12HPB PWM Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung 2033 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Quickfire TK MX Red NCASE M1 No. 635 Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Powertel GMA SGX545 2GB Corsair 1066MHz Samsung 830 64GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
20mm blower Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit 10.1" 1024 x 600 Cookie Cutter 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Asus 1025C-MU17
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K - 4.4GHz 1.2V Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 460 SSC+ Samsung 30nm 2x4GB - 2000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Hitachi Deskstar 320GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hitachi Travelstar 320GB Panasonic UJ85C 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair H60 2x Cougar V12HPB PWM Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung 2033 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Quickfire TK MX Red NCASE M1 No. 635 Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Powertel GMA SGX545 2GB Corsair 1066MHz Samsung 830 64GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
20mm blower Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit 10.1" 1024 x 600 Cookie Cutter 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 198
SO CUTE <3 DO want smile.gif
A05NB smoothness!
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Asus Maximus IV Gene Z XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Rev 1.2 Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 MHZ LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel X25M Western Digital Green 500GB Western Digital Black 1TB Sony Optiarc 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Akasa Freedom Tower Windows 7 BenQ HD2410 Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX750 Lian Li A05NB Logitech G700 Qpad Heaton 
Audio
SteelSeries Siberia V2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX9650 (DEAD) Asus Striker II Extreme (DEAD) XFX 9800GTX+ SLi 8GB Corsair Dominator PC12800 (SOLD) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X-25M SSD, WD B 1TB, WD G 500GB (In new s... Samsung Lightscribe (Faulty) Windows 7 Ultimate x64 BenQ G2410HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 (Faulty) SilverStone Strider 1500W (SOLD) Silverstone Temjin TJ07 (Stored) Logitech G500 (Faulty) 
Mouse Pad
QPad (Laptop acc) 
  hide details  
Reply
A05NB smoothness!
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Asus Maximus IV Gene Z XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Rev 1.2 Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 MHZ LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel X25M Western Digital Green 500GB Western Digital Black 1TB Sony Optiarc 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Akasa Freedom Tower Windows 7 BenQ HD2410 Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX750 Lian Li A05NB Logitech G700 Qpad Heaton 
Audio
SteelSeries Siberia V2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX9650 (DEAD) Asus Striker II Extreme (DEAD) XFX 9800GTX+ SLi 8GB Corsair Dominator PC12800 (SOLD) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X-25M SSD, WD B 1TB, WD G 500GB (In new s... Samsung Lightscribe (Faulty) Windows 7 Ultimate x64 BenQ G2410HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 (Faulty) SilverStone Strider 1500W (SOLD) Silverstone Temjin TJ07 (Stored) Logitech G500 (Faulty) 
Mouse Pad
QPad (Laptop acc) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance47 View Post

But 80+ certification is relevant because it generally allows you to determine the good/reliable from the bad. You don't see the decent OEM's releasing 80 PLUS or 80+ bronze anymore. All the new units coming out from the likes of Seasonic, Enhance, FSP, Channel Well and Flextronics are silver minimum with gold rated quickly becoming the new standard.

I would have to agree with the other's that this is something you can't use as a measure if a compnay is a good manufacturer or not. There are a ton of PSU'S out here in Asia that have the 80+ certification sticker but aren't even near close to making it as an average PSU. There were even some that used cement to mimic parts in their PSU (need to find that OCN thread) that had the 80+ certification sticker on it!
Odin
(13 items)
 
Heracles
(14 items)
 
Pandora
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4790k Asus Z97I-Plus Galaxy 780 Ti HOF Edition Kingston Hyper X Fury 16 GB 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 Corsair H55 Windows 7 Pro SP1 Asus PB278Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 Cherry Red White Leds Seasonic 660X Corsair Air 240 Logitech G400S 
Mouse Pad
Razer Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
Odin
(13 items)
 
Heracles
(14 items)
 
Pandora
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4790k Asus Z97I-Plus Galaxy 780 Ti HOF Edition Kingston Hyper X Fury 16 GB 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 Corsair H55 Windows 7 Pro SP1 Asus PB278Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 Cherry Red White Leds Seasonic 660X Corsair Air 240 Logitech G400S 
Mouse Pad
Razer Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 198
Hahahaha I'd love to see that thread!
post #48 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus View Post

I would have to agree with the other's that this is something you can't use as a measure if a compnay is a good manufacturer or not. There are a ton of PSU'S out here in Asia that have the 80+ certification sticker but aren't even near close to making it as an average PSU. There were even some that used cement to mimic parts in their PSU (need to find that OCN thread) that had the 80+ certification sticker on it!

Very true

But then again there are always going to be exceptions. Generally speaking, a unit that is gold rated is better than a bronze rated. Its a simple fact. The gold rated can only achieve gold certification because it is more efficient; in order to be more efficient it needs to have a better design and use higher quality components. Therefore, it is fair to assume that a gold rated unit is better than a silver/bronze/80+/non-certified.

There will always be cheap knock-offs, you can't do anything about that. Just look at TV's these days (or even monitors). You can get 50" full HD 600Hz plasma's from some yum-cha brand for like $500 or you can go and get a Panasonic/Samsung of the same size and specs and they will be more than twice the price. Most people will obviously see there is a quality difference, hence the price difference. To some people, they are happy to pay $500 and get the yum-cha brand because they don't care about the quality. However most people who are investing in a TV would go for the name brand for warranty and reliability purposes.

Its a similar scenario here. Yes! There most definitely are knock-offs that just slap an 80+ sticker on the housing and box. I too have heard about the cement being used in the internals. But at the end of the day MOST people, tech literate or not, would see a SHAW 1500w PSU (for example) for $50 then look at the next brand on the shelf or website like a Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, Enermax or Antec and see that an equivalent output unit is up to 8x the price (ST1500/MaxRevo 1500W are around $400). Most people in that scenario would start asking some questions as to why this one unit from SHAW is so cheap whilst the other brands are considerably higher. Generally, most people would realise that the SHAW unit is a POS and there is a reason for the price difference. I think sometimes we treat tech illiterate people like complete spastics when ultimately, pretty much everybody is capable of realising that a price difference that large must mean there is something not quite right about the cheap unit.

Hence why as a generalised statement, 80+ certification can be used to determine quality units. Especially once you start getting gold and platinum rated units. As I said, there are always exceptions but a general rule of thumb would indicate to me that Platinum cert > Gold > Silver > Bronze > 80 PLUS > non-certified. You then merely just take a look at the price of the unit compared to the competition and you will pretty quickly work out whether its a cheap knock-off that slapped the sticker on the box or if its actually a legitimate unit that you should consider.
post #49 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance47 View Post

Generally speaking, a unit that is gold rated is better than a bronze rated. Its a simple fact. The gold rated can only achieve gold certification because it is more efficient; in order to be more efficient it needs to have a better design and use higher quality components. Therefore, it is fair to assume that a gold rated unit is better than a silver/bronze/80+/non-certified.

Mate, I understand you just want to win your argument on the internets, but when you use the words "simple fact" and then go on to argue opinion based on only some incorrect assumptions then I have to react smile.gif

What we're trying to explain is that efficiency and quality are not directly correlated, and it does not automatically follow that efficiency comes from "higher quality components" nor that a "better design" leads to better efficiency or quality or performance. There are so many variables, that the PSU design can only satisfy so many at a time. For example, in order to get a higher efficiency, the design engineer may have to choose components which are detrimental to the amount of ripple, or skews the voltage more under load, or slightly compromises the short-circuit protection.

Because the PSU companies know that consumers are looking for an easy way to identify which PSU is "better", this bronze/silver/gold certification became so valuable to the positive marketing aspects of a new product. So this 80PLUS certification starts to overrule other decisions. Furthermore, we can't make the judgement based on the results of the company who does the 80PLUS efficiency testing, because they don't look at anything else but efficiency. They just measure AC-in compared to DC-out over various levels of current. They don't even test under extreme conditions, just at room temperature, with a steady power source, and not even with any PC components connected.

Best to make a comparison of the automotive industry. Think of an "eco" car that does 100km to the gallon and at the same time must exhaust less than 100g/km of CO2. Will it also achieve these numbers when driven hard in real road conditions, as opposed to just on the rollers? Sure you can broadly say that the quality of the parts for such a car must be of a certain standard, and the design will have been more rigorous than otherwise. But think now if that car didn't have the "eco" restrictions, they could probably make a similar design which would have a higher top speed, better response, better handling and could have a reduced cost of maintenance.

So it's also true with power supplies. By buying into the idea that efficiency is the most important variable in PSU design, we are leaving other important aspects at the wayside.
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 198
As I understand,

80 plus ratings are simply based on efficiency. It doesn't weigh in any other aspects so judging a PSU's quality and design on simply the rating is quite neglectful.
Edited by Nutty Pumpkin - 6/19/12 at 3:37am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Cowcotland] Silverstone 450W Fully Modular SFX 80+ Gold rated PSU pictured