Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Video Added + Watercooling Results] Replacing the internal IHS TIM of an i7 3770K
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Video Added + Watercooling Results] Replacing the internal IHS TIM of an i7 3770K - Page 13

post #121 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by un-nefer View Post

You make no sense at all to me - are you high?
In your own reply to me you show results that show Coollaboratory Liquid Pro, the TIM I suggested, is 3C cooler at worst and 8C cooler at best - yet you say you wouldn;t use it because it doesn't make a big difference...
And just so you know, someone actually did give Coollaboratory Liquid Pro a go to replace the stock TIM that Intel used, and guess what - it lowered CPU temps by 11C at stock speeds and lowered the CPU temps by a whopping 20C when overclocked to 4.6Ghz.

Next time before you try and shoot down my suggestion, take a few moments to do some basic googling to see if what I have posted is actually a good suggestion or not.

In the graph provided the Cool Liquid pro is facing off against some really inferior TIMs though... A proper direct die with a decent TIM (much like the MX-4 or another suitable TIM) and you will not notice much of a difference between the two.

That said the intel TIM seems quite inferior as well which is why you see the ~20c drop in a direct die and the ~5c drop the op had when replacing the time and reseating the IHS...



+Rep OP... cant wait to see some direct die and find out how much more it will drop.
Edited by Jesse D - 5/13/12 at 12:08pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Batch# 3207B712 Asus P8Z77-V PRO Asus 6950 DCii (2gb) 8Gb Gskill Ares 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1x120Gb ssd, 1x750Gb, 2x1.5Tb raid0, 2x3Tb Asus 12x BD-RW AC Cuplex Kryos (water) Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
73" Mitsubishi DLP (73738) MX 5500 Corsair AX750 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseMouse Pad
MX Revolution Xtrac Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Batch# 3207B712 Asus P8Z77-V PRO Asus 6950 DCii (2gb) 8Gb Gskill Ares 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1x120Gb ssd, 1x750Gb, 2x1.5Tb raid0, 2x3Tb Asus 12x BD-RW AC Cuplex Kryos (water) Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
73" Mitsubishi DLP (73738) MX 5500 Corsair AX750 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseMouse Pad
MX Revolution Xtrac Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
post #122 of 298
so did I make a mistake buying an i7 3770k in conjunction with h100 cooler?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.8ghz z77 sabertooth EVGA GTX 980 TI Classified corsair vengeance 16gb 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
corsair h100 2x coolermaster megaflow 200mm 1x coolermaster 140mm 4x cougar vortex 120mm pwm 
OSPowerCase
windows 7 professional corsair tx750 coolermaster haf x 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.8ghz z77 sabertooth EVGA GTX 980 TI Classified corsair vengeance 16gb 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
corsair h100 2x coolermaster megaflow 200mm 1x coolermaster 140mm 4x cougar vortex 120mm pwm 
OSPowerCase
windows 7 professional corsair tx750 coolermaster haf x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #123 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orc Warlord View Post

so did I make a mistake buying an i7 3770k in conjunction with h100 cooler?

I sure hope not .. I did the same
post #124 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orc Warlord View Post

so did I make a mistake buying an i7 3770k in conjunction with h100 cooler?

The only mistake is getting the h100 over a high-quality air cooler in my opinion. If you were to spend $100 on a high-quality heatsink and fan combination, it would be better than a h100. The difference is not massive though, so it's not really a 'mistake' and certainly doesn't have anything to do with the 3770k.
post #125 of 298
No mistake with the H100, but you may want to go push-pull fans if you have the room for them. Coolermaster r4 fans are quiet-70 cfm and are cheap, best you can expect is about 4.8 with that setup.thumb.gif
Double Vision
(19 items)
 

(0 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3770K with IHS removed Asus Max V gene Gigabyte Windforce OC 670 X 2 G Skills Trident X 2 x 4gig 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 SSD Samsung Sony 24X Tfc Monsta 420 and Tfc Xchanger 360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Rp 452 res with 2 x D5 varios and DD Cp pro for... Arqtic dual TEC chiller with 2-400watt Qmax tec... Ek supreme Cpu block with modified plate and 2 ... 9 x CM 120 mm R4 fans-1 x 140 Bitfenix Pro fan ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
7 Ultimate Phillips 234 23 inch Logitech G110 Seasonic X-1250 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Dual CM Haf 922`s CM Sentinel Advance 2 Big 
  hide details  
Reply
Double Vision
(19 items)
 

(0 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3770K with IHS removed Asus Max V gene Gigabyte Windforce OC 670 X 2 G Skills Trident X 2 x 4gig 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 SSD Samsung Sony 24X Tfc Monsta 420 and Tfc Xchanger 360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Rp 452 res with 2 x D5 varios and DD Cp pro for... Arqtic dual TEC chiller with 2-400watt Qmax tec... Ek supreme Cpu block with modified plate and 2 ... 9 x CM 120 mm R4 fans-1 x 140 Bitfenix Pro fan ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
7 Ultimate Phillips 234 23 inch Logitech G110 Seasonic X-1250 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Dual CM Haf 922`s CM Sentinel Advance 2 Big 
  hide details  
Reply
post #126 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPoe View Post

The only mistake is getting the h100 over a high-quality air cooler in my opinion. If you were to spend $100 on a high-quality heatsink and fan combination, it would be better than a h100. The difference is not massive though, so it's not really a 'mistake' and certainly doesn't have anything to do with the 3770k.

I might actually do some testing with regards to this .. I own a Noctua NH-D14 as well as a H100 (bought specifically for the 3770k).

I immediately ordered two Gentle Typhoon Fans 1850 RPM to replace the Corsair ones, as they have a pretty decent static pressure rating.

I also have two Noctua NF-F12 fans that I can use for the D14 while testing, as these have a good static pressure rating as well.

The only reason I went with the GT's for the H100, is because of their higher speed rating vs the Noctua.
post #127 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Hotepp View Post

In the case of Ivy Bridge the Voltage is supposed to REALLY be reduced so that even with the higher current draw it's offset and consumes less power (and thereby generates less heat) than SB. Also by that kind of logic we should have seen the same type of temperature increases as the fabs have moved from 90nm to 65nm, 65nm to 45nm and 45nm to 32nm. What we saw instead were chips that we more effecient and consumed less power (at the same speed) than their predecessors. So if it's not the TIM, and it's not the "die shrink" than that leaves only one possibility (which explains why IB V's aren't 30% or more lower than SB) that Fabrication problems are causing high leakage within the chip.

You obviously are oblivious to the other things that happen when there is a process shrink. The reason that when going from 90nm to 65nm resulted in better temperatures was because as you shrink the process LESS heat is produced, but the area of the die also shrinks. And until Ivy Bridge the amount of area lost was not a problem because there was enough surface area to dissipate heat properly. But now that the surface area is getting smaller faster than the reduction in heat produced, that is why you are finally seeing temperatures rise as opposed to falling with the die shrink.

And once again, there is LESS leakage with IB.
SB goodness
(14 items)
 
Core 2 duo
(9 items)
 
folder
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6ghz,1.47v 24/7 GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 $200 EVGA GTX 970 SSC @ 1505mhz 16gb 2400 SuperSC DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
960gb Sandisk Ultra II Corsair H100i v2 Windows 7 64-bit SeaSonic X650 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Obsidian Series® 750D Airflow Edition Zowie FK 2 Speed by Surface/Steelseries SX/Steelseries 9HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E6750 Asus P5n32-e SLI EVGA 8800gt superclocked @ 750/725 gaming/folding 4gb Fatal!ty ddr2 800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
64gb SSD Stock Win 7 64 bit Corsair CX500 
Case
NZXT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium E6300 MSI G41M4-F GTX 460 2gb A-data ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
150gb raptor Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit Coolmax 520W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
SB goodness
(14 items)
 
Core 2 duo
(9 items)
 
folder
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6ghz,1.47v 24/7 GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 $200 EVGA GTX 970 SSC @ 1505mhz 16gb 2400 SuperSC DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
960gb Sandisk Ultra II Corsair H100i v2 Windows 7 64-bit SeaSonic X650 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Obsidian Series® 750D Airflow Edition Zowie FK 2 Speed by Surface/Steelseries SX/Steelseries 9HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E6750 Asus P5n32-e SLI EVGA 8800gt superclocked @ 750/725 gaming/folding 4gb Fatal!ty ddr2 800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
64gb SSD Stock Win 7 64 bit Corsair CX500 
Case
NZXT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium E6300 MSI G41M4-F GTX 460 2gb A-data ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
150gb raptor Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit Coolmax 520W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #128 of 298
I've been wondering...

Wouldn't the high levels of force exerted on the IHS by aftermarket heatsink/fan combos kind of "squash" the IHS closer to the CPU and increasing heat transfer efficiency? Intel's technical people may have thought that using heatsink compound instead of solder would not mess things up because of this.
4690K System
(12 items)
 
HTPC
(9 items)
 
HP dv6 laptop
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4690K ASRock Z97 Extreme4 XFX Radeon 7950 32 GB DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO SSD Samsung DVD/CD-writer Corsair Hydro H60 Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS PA248Q Dell U2412M XFX 850W Black Edition XXX Fractal Design Arc Midi 2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual Core E6700 MSI G41M-P33 Combo ATI HD4350 Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 WD Caviar Blue Windows 7 64-bit Sony 32" TV set 
Case
Apex TX-381 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i5 430M GT230M (1 Gb dedicated) 8 GB DDR3-1066 640 GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
4690K System
(12 items)
 
HTPC
(9 items)
 
HP dv6 laptop
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4690K ASRock Z97 Extreme4 XFX Radeon 7950 32 GB DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO SSD Samsung DVD/CD-writer Corsair Hydro H60 Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS PA248Q Dell U2412M XFX 850W Black Edition XXX Fractal Design Arc Midi 2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual Core E6700 MSI G41M-P33 Combo ATI HD4350 Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 WD Caviar Blue Windows 7 64-bit Sony 32" TV set 
Case
Apex TX-381 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i5 430M GT230M (1 Gb dedicated) 8 GB DDR3-1066 640 GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #129 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehotshot View Post

You obviously are oblivious to the other things that happen when there is a process shrink. The reason that when going from 90nm to 65nm resulted in better temperatures was because as you shrink the process LESS heat is produced, but the area of the die also shrinks. And until Ivy Bridge the amount of area lost was not a problem because there was enough surface area to dissipate heat properly. But now that the surface area is getting smaller faster than the reduction in heat produced, that is why you are finally seeing temperatures rise as opposed to falling with the die shrink.
And once again, there is LESS leakage with IB.

Everyone keeps saying that. If die size is the problem where is the proof? Show me the scientific formulas that prove shrinking to 32nm or 45nm is "not too small to dissapate heat" and yet 22nm is. Hell I would even settle for an in depth explanation that makes sense from someone with a physics degree. Every single person who's made that claim has yet to back it up with anything other than a statement from intel saying that IB is "within thermal specifications". In fact all the evidence points to the opposite. That this is in fact a fabrication problem (hell just look at the voltages and it's plain as day).
post #130 of 298
im doinh push pull on the h100 with cougar vortex fans. i read that those are good fans. want me to post my results when i get my pc?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.8ghz z77 sabertooth EVGA GTX 980 TI Classified corsair vengeance 16gb 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
corsair h100 2x coolermaster megaflow 200mm 1x coolermaster 140mm 4x cougar vortex 120mm pwm 
OSPowerCase
windows 7 professional corsair tx750 coolermaster haf x 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.8ghz z77 sabertooth EVGA GTX 980 TI Classified corsair vengeance 16gb 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
corsair h100 2x coolermaster megaflow 200mm 1x coolermaster 140mm 4x cougar vortex 120mm pwm 
OSPowerCase
windows 7 professional corsair tx750 coolermaster haf x 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Video Added + Watercooling Results] Replacing the internal IHS TIM of an i7 3770K