Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › G.Skill 1866Mhz ram only clocking at 1600Mhz on Biostar TA990FXE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

G.Skill 1866Mhz ram only clocking at 1600Mhz on Biostar TA990FXE

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I have recently upgraded to a Biostar TA990FXE motherboard and new 8GB of ram as well; G.Skill RipjawsX ram (F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL to be exact) at 1866Mhz. The problem is that the ram is only clocking at 1600Mhz. I have tried to manually set the timings in BIOS to the ram's timings, it will boot fine but after a couple minutes the CPU will max out at 100% until you do a hard shutdown/ restart.

Any help? Can give more specs / details if requested.

Mobo: Biostar TA990FXE
CPU: AMD FX-6200
RAM: G.Skill F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
Edited by Regithros - 5/12/12 at 2:31am
post #2 of 6
Check this out mate. I think it might give you the answers.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1213927/trouble-getting-ram-to-reach-1866mhz-on-biostar-ta990fxe-mobo/10

you can read through the whole thread but basically this is what is said

from the research I have done, it appears that the BD is certified at 1866 for only 2 dimms. if you want to fill all 4 then you will be hard pressed to get all 4 stable at 1866. looks like most people are settling for 1600mhz x 4dimms. its a shame but the verification on the 1866 x 2dimms came from an email sent by AMD. only certified for 2dimms @ 1866, not 4.
post #3 of 6
In order to get your RAM up to rated speed you'll have to use the FSB. I had the same issue but I found if I set all the timings and voltage manually and set the FSB to 233 and RAM to x8.00 this would give me 1864MHz. I am currently running 4 dimms at 1912MHz with my FSB at 239.
Sintel
(13 items)
 
Spare Parts
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770k @ 4.7 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ASUS GTX 1080 Strix Samsung 30nm 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO 500Gb HGST Deskstar 2Tb Samsung SH-B123L Blu-ray 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair H110i GT Windows 7 64bit 60" Sharp Aquos 1080p 120Hz Corsair AX860 
Case
Corsair 750D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 3570k @ 4.5GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS RX480 Strix Samsung Wonder RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX200 Samsung Blu-ray Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 58" 4K  Corsair CX 750 Lian Li Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62 
  hide details  
Reply
Sintel
(13 items)
 
Spare Parts
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770k @ 4.7 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ASUS GTX 1080 Strix Samsung 30nm 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO 500Gb HGST Deskstar 2Tb Samsung SH-B123L Blu-ray 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair H110i GT Windows 7 64bit 60" Sharp Aquos 1080p 120Hz Corsair AX860 
Case
Corsair 750D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 3570k @ 4.5GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS RX480 Strix Samsung Wonder RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX200 Samsung Blu-ray Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 58" 4K  Corsair CX 750 Lian Li Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regithros View Post

I have recently upgraded to a Biostar TA990FXE motherboard and new 8GB of ram as well; G.Skill RipjawsX ram (F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL to be exact) at 1866Mhz. The problem is that the ram is only clocking at 1600Mhz. I have tried to manually set the timings in BIOS to the ram's timings, it will boot fine but after a couple minutes the CPU will max out at 100% until you do a hard shutdown/ restart.
Any help? Can give more specs / details if requested.
Mobo: Biostar TA990FXE
CPU: AMD FX-6200
RAM: G.Skill F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

Very strange behavior. I'd e-mail Biostar to see if they have a BIOS update to resolve this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac68 View Post

In order to get your RAM up to rated speed you'll have to use the FSB. I had the same issue but I found if I set all the timings and voltage manually and set the FSB to 233 and RAM to x8.00 this would give me 1864MHz. I am currently running 4 dimms at 1912MHz with my FSB at 239.

It sounds like the OP's system is booting OK @ 1866 RAM freq but that the RAM is leaking or something unusual???? Obviously you should be able to run the RAM @ 1866 MHz. without issue either way with an FX CPU.
Edited by AMD4ME - 5/12/12 at 11:41am
post #5 of 6
I have a Asus Sabertooth, FX8150(6 cores @4.9ghz), 4 x2gb DDR3 2000. I can run all four sticks at 1866 or 2000 without any problems.
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post

I have a Asus Sabertooth, FX8150(6 cores @4.9ghz), 4 x2gb DDR3 2000. I can run all four sticks at 1866 or 2000 without any problems.

With a proper BIOS most AM3+ FX mobos will run 1866 MHz. RAM properly. I suspect there is a BIOS or mobo issue for the OP. Asus has also had RAM issues over the years so Biostar isn't alone. That is why I suggested there might be a newer BIOS that eliminates the issue of what appears to be RAM leakage more than just being able to run the RAM @ 1866 MHz. which the OP can do.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › G.Skill 1866Mhz ram only clocking at 1600Mhz on Biostar TA990FXE