Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Building a new computer for Game Design and Gaming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building a new computer for Game Design and Gaming - Page 2

post #11 of 17
hello,
if your getting serious about making games,you need at least two pc's,one to build on and one to compile with,that way you can work while you wait.least thats the way it was in the old days,talking half life one maps and 1000mhz pc.
Edited by MrPerforations - 5/13/12 at 10:02pm
    
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
AMD™ Ryzen™ 1700 3.75ghz Cool Laboratory™ Liquid Copper MSI™ X370 Gaming Pro Carbon™ Gigabyte™ Radeon™ R9 280 950/1070 Crossfire 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
Gigabyte™ Radeon™ R9 280 950/1070 Crossfire Avexir™ Blitz™ 3200 CL16 @ 3200 Crucial Ballistix™ Active Cooling fan Seagate™ 2TB Barracuda™ 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
ASUS™ DRW-24D5MT XSPC™ Raystorm™ 750 2x EX360 Radiators 5x Coo... Triple QX De-ionised Water and WCUK™ KIll Coil Windows™ 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer™ V243HL 24" Element™ Thorium™ 200 EVGA™ Supernova™ 1000 G2 Coolermaster™ Cosmos Pure Black  
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair™ M45  World of Tanks™ giant 6mm Creative labs™ sb x-fi titanium  Logitech™ 540x 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
AMD™ Ryzen™ 1700 3.75ghz Cool Laboratory™ Liquid Copper MSI™ X370 Gaming Pro Carbon™ Gigabyte™ Radeon™ R9 280 950/1070 Crossfire 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
Gigabyte™ Radeon™ R9 280 950/1070 Crossfire Avexir™ Blitz™ 3200 CL16 @ 3200 Crucial Ballistix™ Active Cooling fan Seagate™ 2TB Barracuda™ 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
ASUS™ DRW-24D5MT XSPC™ Raystorm™ 750 2x EX360 Radiators 5x Coo... Triple QX De-ionised Water and WCUK™ KIll Coil Windows™ 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer™ V243HL 24" Element™ Thorium™ 200 EVGA™ Supernova™ 1000 G2 Coolermaster™ Cosmos Pure Black  
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair™ M45  World of Tanks™ giant 6mm Creative labs™ sb x-fi titanium  Logitech™ 540x 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorses View Post

lol, my budgets around 1200-2000.
And i'm here different facts from people that contradict eachother over and over.
Im thinking that as far as GPU's and CPU's go its more about personal preferences. Some say Radeon is better for the programs ill be using, and some say geforce,

You may have noticed that most of us are against the 1200w PSU, only buy that if you want to run a dozen harddrives and maybe three HD6990s.
a good 800w will be more than enough for two HD6870 cards.

Now for your GPU concerns, it doesnt really matter with photoshop.
Adobe says CS5 supports gpu acceleration with nvidia cards but the gains are very small to non-existent when using the same cpu.
If you had 2 systems, both with 8gb ram and an i7 2600K. One has a GTX580 and one only has onboard intel GPU. You wont notice a speed difference in both systems with photoshop.

If you are extremely serious about 3ds max, there are workstation cards that help speed it up. I will not suggest buying those expensive Quadro / FireGL cards unless 3ds max is what you do for a living.
Rabasu i7-3770K
(13 items)
 
Rabasu FX6100
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ECS H77H2-M3 MSI RX 580 Armor 8GB OC 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Blu 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 1TB Seagate 1TB Sony DVDRW stock 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 BenQ E2220 1080p Seasonic M12II Evo 620W Coolermaster Elite 430 
Mouse
A4tech X7 710BH 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 6100 4.0 Ghz 6-core Asus M5A78L-MLX3 AM3+ Powercolor HD7730 1GB DDR5 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 1TB Seagate 1TB Sony DVDRW CoolerMaster Hyper212+ with 2x140mm Deepcool UF140 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 / Mint x64 BenQ E2220 1080p Aerocool Strike-X 500watts CoolerMaster Elite 430 
Mouse
A4tech X7 710BH 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
A8 7410 2.5Ghz Radeon R5 M335 2GB 4GB DDR3L 1 TB HDD 
OSCase
Windows 8.1 Dell Inspiron 5455 
  hide details  
Reply
Rabasu i7-3770K
(13 items)
 
Rabasu FX6100
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ECS H77H2-M3 MSI RX 580 Armor 8GB OC 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Blu 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 1TB Seagate 1TB Sony DVDRW stock 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 BenQ E2220 1080p Seasonic M12II Evo 620W Coolermaster Elite 430 
Mouse
A4tech X7 710BH 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 6100 4.0 Ghz 6-core Asus M5A78L-MLX3 AM3+ Powercolor HD7730 1GB DDR5 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 1TB Seagate 1TB Sony DVDRW CoolerMaster Hyper212+ with 2x140mm Deepcool UF140 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 / Mint x64 BenQ E2220 1080p Aerocool Strike-X 500watts CoolerMaster Elite 430 
Mouse
A4tech X7 710BH 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
A8 7410 2.5Ghz Radeon R5 M335 2GB 4GB DDR3L 1 TB HDD 
OSCase
Windows 8.1 Dell Inspiron 5455 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalbkrad View Post

3DSMax and Unreal Engine (UDK) will be the most demanding on your system
I suggest you scratch the 1200w PSU because any 800w will be fine for xfire or SLI
Also scratch the Phenom FX.
Now use the money you save from not buying the 1200w psu and FX and get a better CPU like an i7 2600K or i7 3820
You'll want the fastest cpu you can get to decrease the loading times on those programs.

Lightmass in UDK can take the eight cores and is the most wait-intensive part of making a UDK game. I'd wager an FX CPU to actually be superior here. What people seem to completely pass up is that the FX CPUs are derived from server-targeted architectures. They are very good at server tasks, Lightmass is one of them.
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht View Post

Lightmass in UDK can take the eight cores and is the most wait-intensive part of making a UDK game. I'd wager an FX CPU to actually be superior here. What people seem to completely pass up is that the FX CPUs are derived from server-targeted architectures. They are very good at server tasks, Lightmass is one of them.

Thanks a lot for that tip. I wasn't aware of that.
I do appreciate all of the recommendations.
But what is it exactly that Intel has over Amd for the purposes I've explained. I ask that because everyone seems to prefer Intel
In this forum. Not all. But for an Amd portion of the forum I am getting quite a bit of Intel based feedback and little to none with Amd.
Everyone I've worked wig personally prefers Amd. Be it college associates or instructors.
Intel is great don't get me wrong but its never appealed to me in the field of game design.
The things ill be running will undoubtedly use 8 cores lol.
The graphic design part, no.
But the game design portion, once my projects reach a point where I'm compiling a lot of data wouldn't and Amd based octane core
Benefit me more? Has anyone here worked with high profile game design programs before that can shed some lout on this.
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorses View Post

Thanks a lot for that tip. I wasn't aware of that.
I do appreciate all of the recommendations.
But what is it exactly that Intel has over Amd for the purposes I've explained. I ask that because everyone seems to prefer Intel
In this forum. Not all. But for an Amd portion of the forum I am getting quite a bit of Intel based feedback and little to none with Amd.
Everyone I've worked wig personally prefers Amd. Be it college associates or instructors.
Intel is great don't get me wrong but its never appealed to me in the field of game design.
The things ill be running will undoubtedly use 8 cores lol.
The graphic design part, no.
But the game design portion, once my projects reach a point where I'm compiling a lot of data wouldn't and Amd based octane core
Benefit me more? Has anyone here worked with high profile game design programs before that can shed some lout on this.

You have a big budget. AMD's best chips just aren't as good as Intel's best chips. It's not bias. It's just the way it is. Bias is recommending a brand that won't work as well just because you are emotionally attached to it. Look up benchmarks for your applications comparing the FX-8120, the one of the i7 quad-core chips, and the i7-3630k. You'll find a clear difference in performance. Which chip you choose is based largely on budget. FX-8120 if you need 8 threads on the cheap, an i7-2600k or i7-3770k for most people, one of the intel chips that costs a lot for those with a big budget.

Long story short, who cares how many cores a CPU has as long as it gets the job done faster? If you came to the AMD forum so that we would lie to you about what chip runs faster so you felt better about getting the 8120, you should have just said so. Heck, 8 cores with shared memory isn't a hell of a lot different from 4 cores turned into 8 threads with hyperthreading.

You can get a look at reviews like this to see that sort of thing that guides most of us:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1285/pg9/amd-fx-8150-black-edition-8-core-processor-vs-core-i7-2600k-review-3dmark-11.html

But what you really ought to do is visit an application-specific forum and see if they have any benchmarks there. There might not be any.

P.S. You're getting WAY too much wattage on your PSU.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post

You have a big budget. AMD's best chips just aren't as good as Intel's best chips. It's not bias. It's just the way it is. Bias is recommending a brand that won't work as well just because you are emotionally attached to it. Look up benchmarks for your applications comparing the FX-8120, the one of the i7 quad-core chips, and the i7-3630k. You'll find a clear difference in performance. Which chip you choose is based largely on budget. FX-8120 if you need 8 threads on the cheap, an i7-2600k or i7-3770k for most people, one of the intel chips that costs a lot for those with a big budget.
Long story short, who cares how many cores a CPU has as long as it gets the job done faster? If you came to the AMD forum so that we would lie to you about what chip runs faster so you felt better about getting the 8120, you should have just said so. Heck, 8 cores with shared memory isn't a hell of a lot different from 4 cores turned into 8 threads with hyperthreading.
You can get a look at reviews like this to see that sort of thing that guides most of us:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1285/pg9/amd-fx-8150-black-edition-8-core-processor-vs-core-i7-2600k-review-3dmark-11.html
But what you really ought to do is visit an application-specific forum and see if they have any benchmarks there. There might not be any.
P.S. You're getting WAY too much wattage on your PSU.

Hahahaha. I lived your response. That's honestly exactly what I needed.
Trust me ifand wwhen its proven that something else will get the job done better and more efficiently
I can't help but say awesome, and thanks.
But correct. I do have an emotional tie to Amd which is why I think their hanging in there because of people.like me.
So all in all, I believe I have 98% of my curiosities and worries taken care of thanks to this thread.
Thanks a lot everyone, I truly appreciate the time and consideration and even the frustration put into
Answering my questions.
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorses View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Goooooooood...(looks at clock) morning everyone, I know there are many helpful guides and tips on pc building,
buuut, i'd like some personal advice from some experienced people myself.
I'm looking to build this computer for multiple programs, some of them being ran simultaneously:
Adobe Photoshop
3D Studio Max
ZBrush
Unreal Engine
GuildWars 2
(maybe Tera from time ot time, I have an account, but I prefer guild wars 2 once its released)
Im also looking to use it for 3 monitors, as well as a Wacom Cintiq 21UX
I've always been a fan of AMD, but until now ive only been buying already made pc's and just upgrading the RAM, Video Card, and power supply.
I have spoken to someone at a local computer store, and this is the list he put together for me according to my usage needs/wants, and what he felt works best together.
Asus Crosshair V motherboard
G Skill 2x8GB DDR3 2133 Ripjaws RAM
FX-8150 8 core Bulldozer Turbo up to 4.2GHz
Vertex 3 120GB SSD
Western Digital 1TB 64MB cache storage drive
Antec TPQ-1200W Modular power supply (I want to make use of the crossfire capabilities of multiple video cards, so he recommended a video card that would support it.
Carbide 400R high air flow mid tower case (currently researching other useful cases =p )
XFX Radeon 6870 2GB GDDR5
________________________________________________
This list is no where near finalized, which is why I am here.
1. I have the money, but just because I have it doesn't mean I should just go out and buy the top of everything when it most likely isnt worth it, meaning theres possibly a far more less expensive build that would perform even better depending on how well the parts work together.
ANY and ALL advice would be highly appreciated,
as a plane run down of what I want in the machine
I do want 16 GB of Ram, I want an 8 core, but i've noticed some many complaints about the processors usa and worth.
Im not far into the vast well of knowledge when it comes to computer hardware, so Im not sure if their are any motherboards capable of running 3 video cards at once, Id honestly be fine running three 1GB video cards that can all work well together
I'd love any information you can provide and look forward to it. I'd mostly love to know how, and why (rofl, pretty much one in the same) what parts work best together. I really want to begin gaining a huge understanding of computer hardware, modding, and etx.If anyone has a link for an intermediate, id be thankful for that as well.
Thank you all in advance
~Later days

hi whats you budget i would say some thing like this would be just fine for you

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Biostar TZ77XE3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($137.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card ($187.55 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total (before mail-in rebates): $1114.03
Mail-in Rebates: $-50.00
Total: $1064.03

Hope that helped smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Building a new computer for Game Design and Gaming