Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Advice please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice please - Page 2

post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtag7 View Post

Alrighty, so, do you know what type of graphics card you want and what CPU you are leaning towards (AMD or Intel)?

Intel, no reasoning behind it at all. and I have no idea about graphics cards or any hardware, except from the few things I've read on this forum haha sorry
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Pander View Post

How would you recommend I go learning of which parts and whatnot are the best? I've been reading through all the threads in this section and somethings are almost always recommended(certain ssds, and CPUs, etc)

You sort of answered your own question there biggrin.gif

Ok..real quick n dirty
PSU=off of OCN recommended PSU list High-end Kingwin,Enermax,Thermaltake,Silverstone,and of course derpa derp..Corsair and Seasonic.oh and fsp...antec..(eh)
CPU= high-end 1366,SB K,Ivy Bridge K,960T,1090T,1100T Thuban,i3 5xx,Core i7 8xx,Core i5 7xx,3930K.(no particular order)
SSD=crucial m4 or Samsung 830
RAM=Samsung MV-3V4G3/US (good luck to find)(hot item)Corsair Dominator,Super-Talent old school,G.Skill,Mushkin
HDD=WD Black..Velociraptor....WD Blue
Video=6950,6970,7950,7970,680,560 Ti,560 Ti 448,6870,gtx 460 256-bit 1GB,gtx 560,6850,6790,9800GT(cheap)4870,4890,3870x2..all 5800-series
Motherboards in order of goodness
Asus>bah..gotta do it >AsRock>Biostar>Gigabyte>MSI
Videocard brands in order of goodness: Sapphire>EVGA>MSI>Gigabyte>Asus
dah..tired of thinking biggrin.gif
I know I left some stuff out..but ..I tried.. biggrin.gif
Edited by Schmuckley - 5/17/12 at 3:31pm
AMD Machine
(14 items)
 
Dedicated Backup
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 145 powah! er..or..Thuban with 4 coars ;) Crosshair 4 GT 240 Samsung @ 7-8-8-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingMonitor
OCZ Agility2 40GB Lite-On Rasa Waterblock + Bong Samsung 2 ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
dell Thermaltake Tr2-800 Elite 330 cheap 
Mouse PadAudio
Newegg box flap onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Gimped @ stock Gigabyte H61-DS2 XFX 5870 800/1250 The Samsung RAM (Awesomeness) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial m4 64 Sunbeamtech Core-Contact 92 attached via zip-ties. Varies Samsung 2ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
varies Corsair GS800 eMachine cheap 
Mouse PadAudio
Newegg Box Panel onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Machine
(14 items)
 
Dedicated Backup
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 145 powah! er..or..Thuban with 4 coars ;) Crosshair 4 GT 240 Samsung @ 7-8-8-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingMonitor
OCZ Agility2 40GB Lite-On Rasa Waterblock + Bong Samsung 2 ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
dell Thermaltake Tr2-800 Elite 330 cheap 
Mouse PadAudio
Newegg box flap onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Gimped @ stock Gigabyte H61-DS2 XFX 5870 800/1250 The Samsung RAM (Awesomeness) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial m4 64 Sunbeamtech Core-Contact 92 attached via zip-ties. Varies Samsung 2ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
varies Corsair GS800 eMachine cheap 
Mouse PadAudio
Newegg Box Panel onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

You sort of answered your own question there biggrin.gif
Ok..real quick n dirty
PSU=off of OCN recommended PSU list High-end Kingwin,Enermax,Thermaltake,Silverstone,and of course derpa derp..Corsair and Seasonic.oh and fsp...antec..(eh)
CPU= high-end 1366,SB K,Ivy Bridge K,960T,1090T,1100T Thuban,i3 5xx,Core i7 8xx,Core i5 7xx,3930K.(no particular order)
SSD=crucial m4 or Samsung 830
RAM=Samsung MV-3V4G3/US (good luck to find)(hot item)Corsair Dominator,Super-Talent old school,G.Skill,Mushkin
HDD=WD Black..Velociraptor....WD Blue
Video=6950,6970,7950,7970,680,560 Ti,560 Ti 448,6870,gtx 460 256-bit 1GB,gtx 560,6850,6790,9800GT(cheap)4870,4890,3870x2.
Motherboards in order of goodness
Asus>bah..gotta do it >AsRock>Biostar>Gigabyte>MSI
Videocard brands in order of goodness: Sapphire>EVGA>MSI>Gigabyte>Asus
dah..tired of thinking biggrin.gif

Thanks =) I'll go pokin around and see what i can learn about these things!
post #14 of 20
Well I whipped up one if you have any Qs just ask

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 if purchased with the i5 3570K processor @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT M59 - 001BK ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $986.90
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHoboLord View Post

Well I whipped up one if you have any Qs just ask
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 if purchased with the i5 3570K processor @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT M59 - 001BK ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $986.90

Dang that was quick! haha. I don't know much about all of it. Maybe this is dumb or just kinda annoying but could you explain some of the choices to me? I read alot about that cpu/cooler/motherboard so I had already assumed I'd go with pretty much those exact ones. So why that video card, memory, and hard drive?

also another thought, will i need to buy cables/wiring or will everything come with what I need? and I didnt see an ssd in that list(or im missing it, most likely dont know what im talking about) is it something i should look into aswell?
Edited by X-Pander - 5/17/12 at 6:59pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Pander View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHoboLord View Post

Well I whipped up one if you have any Qs just ask
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 if purchased with the i5 3570K processor @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT M59 - 001BK ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $986.90

Dang that was quick! haha. I don't know much about all of it. Maybe this is dumb or just kinda annoying but could you explain some of the choices to me? I read alot about that cpu/cooler/motherboard so I had already assumed I'd go with pretty much those exact ones. So why that video card, memory, and hard drive?

Well I did choose everything for exact reasons mostly price/performance so I'll list those.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
New ivy bridge CPU which will let you utilize features like PCI 3.0 and such. You won't need the i7 unless you are rendering or something like that

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Great cooler for someone that's starting OCing. Should get you to about 4.3 GHz.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 if purchased with the i5 3570K processor @ Microcenter)
Best price/performance Z77 mobo. 2 PCI 3.0 slots if you ever want to SLI.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
8 gb of 1600MHz ram. You should have 2 dimms so you don't stress the memmory controller and you can have faster OCs

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
A cheap large HDD that is made by Western Digital which is more reliable then Seagate.

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Best cooler and clocked the highest as far as 670s go. 670s are the best higher end gpus as of now

Case: NZXT M59 - 001BK ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Great $50 case. Has some nice features like the HDD bays and Window. The Cooler master Haf cases are nice too.

Power Supply: Rosewill 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
80+ bronze 750w PSU that's modular.

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Cheap and does the job

Total: $986.90
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHoboLord View Post

Well I did choose everything for exact reasons mostly price/performance so I'll list those.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
New ivy bridge CPU which will let you utilize features like PCI 3.0 and such. You won't need the i7 unless you are rendering or something like that
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Great cooler for someone that's starting OCing. Should get you to about 4.3 GHz.
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 if purchased with the i5 3570K processor @ Microcenter)
Best price/performance Z77 mobo. 2 PCI 3.0 slots if you ever want to SLI.
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
8 gb of 1600MHz ram. You should have 2 dimms so you don't stress the memmory controller and you can have faster OCs
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
A cheap large HDD that is made by Western Digital which is more reliable then Seagate.
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Best cooler and clocked the highest as far as 670s go. 670s are the best higher end gpus as of now
Case: NZXT M59 - 001BK ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Great $50 case. Has some nice features like the HDD bays and Window. The Cooler master Haf cases are nice too.
Power Supply: Rosewill 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
80+ bronze 750w PSU that's modular.
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Cheap and does the job
Total: $986.90

makes sense, was just curious. What about the SSD question? I seem to see them on everyone's builds.

Also, is the case that big of a deal? I really like the look of the flat surfaced rectangular cases.. such as the one right above that one on newegg. Would there be another case you'd recommend at a higher price range(but not highest =p)
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Pander View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHoboLord View Post

Well I did choose everything for exact reasons mostly price/performance so I'll list those.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
New ivy bridge CPU which will let you utilize features like PCI 3.0 and such. You won't need the i7 unless you are rendering or something like that
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Great cooler for someone that's starting OCing. Should get you to about 4.3 GHz.
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 if purchased with the i5 3570K processor @ Microcenter)
Best price/performance Z77 mobo. 2 PCI 3.0 slots if you ever want to SLI.
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
8 gb of 1600MHz ram. You should have 2 dimms so you don't stress the memmory controller and you can have faster OCs
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
A cheap large HDD that is made by Western Digital which is more reliable then Seagate.
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Best cooler and clocked the highest as far as 670s go. 670s are the best higher end gpus as of now
Case: NZXT M59 - 001BK ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Great $50 case. Has some nice features like the HDD bays and Window. The Cooler master Haf cases are nice too.
Power Supply: Rosewill 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
80+ bronze 750w PSU that's modular.
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Cheap and does the job
Total: $986.90

makes sense, was just curious. What about the SSD question? I seem to see them on everyone's builds.

Also, is the case that big of a deal? I really like the look of the flat surfaced rectangular cases.. such as the one right above that one on newegg. Would there be another case you'd recommend at a higher price range(but not highest =p)

If you want and ssd go for the Crucial m4 64gb If it was in your budget its nice to have but I wouldn't sacrifice gaming performance for boot speed and massively increased data rates. Will I would recommend price range wise +$100 - NZXT Phantom +$150 - NZXT Switch 810.
post #19 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHoboLord View Post

If you want and ssd go for the Crucial m4 64gb If it was in your budget its nice to have but I wouldn't sacrifice gaming performance for boot speed and massively increased data rates. Will I would recommend price range wise +$100 - NZXT Phantom +$150 - NZXT Switch 810.
Those are both really cool, especially the Switch 810! I might just go with one of those.
So you would definitely recommend the ssd if i didn't mind going over budget? I might look into them.. I'm if i built the exact computer you listed I'd be blown away by it seeing as i've never owned any that weren't store bought

And thanks a ton for all the help, really appreciate it!
Edited by X-Pander - 5/18/12 at 10:40am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Pander View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHoboLord View Post

If you want and ssd go for the Crucial m4 64gb If it was in your budget its nice to have but I wouldn't sacrifice gaming performance for boot speed and massively increased data rates. Will I would recommend price range wise +$100 - NZXT Phantom +$150 - NZXT Switch 810.
Those are both really cool, especially the Switch 810! I might just go with one of those.
So you would definitely recommend the ssd if i didn't mind going over budget? I might look into them.. I'm if i built the exact computer you listed I'd be blown away by it seeing as i've never owned any that weren't store bought

And thanks a ton for all the help, really appreciate it!

If you don't mind going over I would say I would say yes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Advice please