Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › 2700k vs 3770k using H100 water cooling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2700k vs 3770k using H100 water cooling

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
So I've been thinking, and I've been reading lately that for gaming and some video editing/music production a 2700k would be plenty.

I would be using a H100 to cool it, and I was thinking...

What would I be able to OC both processors to? I've read of people OCing to <4.5 with the 3770k and getting really high temperatures using an H100.

Would I be able to OC the 2700k to 4.8 Ghz comfortably?

I understand that a 2700k at 4.5 < 3770k at 4.5, but where is the balance point? would a 5.0 Ghz 2700k outperform a 4.5Ghz 3770k?

Basically which processor would perform best using my cooling, at a reasonable temperature.



Also, side thought. How long do you think it will be (if ever) before intel decides to not cheap out on the TIM in between the IHS? Will they ever fix that? Because as it stands that is the only thing turning me off to the 3770k.
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampharos View Post

So I've been thinking, and I've been reading lately that for gaming and some video editing/music production a 2700k would be plenty.
I would be using a H100 to cool it, and I was thinking...
What would I be able to OC both processors to? I've read of people OCing to <4.5 with the 3770k and getting really high temperatures using an H100.
Would I be able to OC the 2700k to 4.8 Ghz comfortably?
I understand that a 2700k at 4.5 < 3770k at 4.5, but where is the balance point? would a 5.0 Ghz 2700k outperform a 4.5Ghz 3770k?
Basically which processor would perform best using my cooling, at a reasonable temperature.
Also, side thought. How long do you think it will be (if ever) before intel decides to not cheap out on the TIM in between the IHS? Will they ever fix that? Because as it stands that is the only thing turning me off to the 3770k.

Ok, first, it's not easy getting 4.8 on a 2700K, those are the good chips and it's all a lottery. There's a lot of owners of those chips that can barely reach 4.6 comfortably. Second, I own a 3770K @ 4.5GHz using 1.248v at full load on P95. My max temps were mid 80s for a second, on average they're high 60s low 70s. Gaming doesn't even get that high. And you don't need the 3770K, you need the 3570K because you don't need the hyperthreading. And no one said the TIM isn't working as intended. Intel doesn't make these with OCing in mind, they think of mass consumers and the majority don't OC.
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampharos View Post

I understand that a 2700k at 4.5 < 3770k at 4.5, but where is the balance point? would a 5.0 Ghz 2700k outperform a 4.5Ghz 3770k?
Basically which processor would perform best using my cooling, at a reasonable temperature.

Ivy Bridge is about 5 to 10% faster clock for clock vs Sandy Bridge. So a 4.6 ivy is around a 4.8/4.9 sandy.

I have a 3770k at 4.6@1.272 cooled by an H100. When stress testing, I see temps up around 85. Folding all night long, temps were maxed at 75, and gaming rarely touches 65.

So you may be able to get higher clocks with Sandy, but it needs to be about 300mhz faster to beat ivy. With ivy tho, you get pci-e 3.0 support, future-proofing your console for gpus further down the road. Sandy does not have this.
My Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k P8Z68-V GEN3 MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce X3 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X Corsair Force Series 3 Seagate Barracuda 1TB Seagate Barracuda 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 128GB ASUS DVD Burner Corsair H100 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Samsung EX2220 21.5" 1920x1080 Acer 21.5" 1920x1080 Corsair HX750 NZXT Tempest 410 Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k P8Z68-V GEN3 MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce X3 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X Corsair Force Series 3 Seagate Barracuda 1TB Seagate Barracuda 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 128GB ASUS DVD Burner Corsair H100 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Samsung EX2220 21.5" 1920x1080 Acer 21.5" 1920x1080 Corsair HX750 NZXT Tempest 410 Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 15
Also, Ivy runs at lower volts meaning a lower electricity bill smile.gifthumb.gif
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hmmm thanks for the info guys. Is the only difference between the 3570k and the 3770k the Hyper threading?

And I'm just concerned about gaming, and the occasional video editing. I'm thinking 4.5Ghz will be more than plenty for my every day use. even that would probably be overkill.
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampharos View Post

Hmmm thanks for the info guys. Is the only difference between the 3570k and the 3770k the Hyper threading?
And I'm just concerned about gaming, and the occasional video editing. I'm thinking 4.5Ghz will be more than plenty for my every day use. even that would probably be overkill.

The only difference is hyper threading. The i5s usually perform a little better in games (not really noticeable tho). If you are going to be doing heavily threaded stuff, but don't want hyper threading for games, you can always get the i7 and set 2 profiles in your bios: one with HT on, and one with it off, and then just pick which profile depending on what you plan on doing with your computer at the time.
My Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k P8Z68-V GEN3 MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce X3 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X Corsair Force Series 3 Seagate Barracuda 1TB Seagate Barracuda 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 128GB ASUS DVD Burner Corsair H100 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Samsung EX2220 21.5" 1920x1080 Acer 21.5" 1920x1080 Corsair HX750 NZXT Tempest 410 Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k P8Z68-V GEN3 MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce X3 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X Corsair Force Series 3 Seagate Barracuda 1TB Seagate Barracuda 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 128GB ASUS DVD Burner Corsair H100 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Samsung EX2220 21.5" 1920x1080 Acer 21.5" 1920x1080 Corsair HX750 NZXT Tempest 410 Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 15
I would get the 3570k, Latest and greatest. You Don't need HT just a waist of cash. Even if it is a bit Hot. thumb.gif GL
post #8 of 15
2700K. You're likely to hit 4.8-5.1ghz.

On the other hand with the 3770K you're likely to hit 4.6-4.8ghz. According to the bit-tech review, the 4.8g 3770k was on par or slower than the 5.0g 2600k in 8 tests.

Either one you choose, it will end up a wash since they will be equals once you figure in maximum overclocks. If the 3770K gets a new stepping with Iridium solder and a revision on Finfet transisitors reducing heat giving it 5g+ overclocks, then it will become the obvious choice.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgineng View Post

The only difference is hyper threading. The i5s usually perform a little better in games (not really noticeable tho). If you are going to be doing heavily threaded stuff, but don't want hyper threading for games, you can always get the i7 and set 2 profiles in your bios: one with HT on, and one with it off, and then just pick which profile depending on what you plan on doing with your computer at the time.

I think im gonna go with the 3570k. I have literally zero use for hyper threading. Nothing I use my computer for can utilize that capability.
post #10 of 15
unless your doing video editing your fine with a i5 3570k
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › 2700k vs 3770k using H100 water cooling